Sorry, wrong number

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fostersAccount
http://torontofilmsociety.org/files/2014/01/Sorry-Wrong-Number-5.jpg

This is the fifteenth Barbara Stanwyck film I've seen.
I'm not a huge noir fan but this was keeping my attention and it's always fun to watch her act. The real treat of this film is in the ending. It's from 1948 and you don't see endings like that these days.

Time Immemorial
Sorry, wrong movie.

fostersAccount
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Sorry, wrong movie.

Still new here, so nobody on this forum likes classic cinema?

I figured this was still at least a little relevant since it's the movie playing in the theatre during Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Lestov16
who the hell went to see Jack Ryan? I forgot that movie existed. Referencing an old obscure film that was referenced in a film that is itself obscure will not get a lot of attention.

fostersAccount
Originally posted by Lestov16
who the hell went to see Jack Ryan? I forgot that movie existed. Referencing an old obscure film that was referenced in a film that is itself obscure will not get a lot of attention.

I don't go to the movie theater, so jack ryan came to me..

This old film was certainly much better than The count of monte cristo with robert donat, referenced in V for Vendetta. Rarely is acting so god awful it ruins an entire feature film. At least with barbara stanwyck you can be assured that the acting is top notch, she's my favorite.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by fostersAccount

I figured this was still at least a little relevant

I figure he was just rifting on the posters title. Ot perhaps he really dislikes the movie but I almost posted the same thing and i'm the latter lol

Lord Lucien
Still new here, so nobody on this forum likes classic cinema? I'm always willing to give a Pre-Code film a try. I just downloaded Baby Face, one of Stanwyck's earlier films. Sorry, Wrong Number is 1948 though, is it still... goodly enough?

fostersAccount
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'm always willing to give a Pre-Code film a try. I just downloaded Baby Face, one of Stanwyck's earlier films. Sorry, Wrong Number is 1948 though, is it still... goodly enough?

Babyface was great, 1933 and in time magazines top 100 films ever made.

Sorry wrong number is one of her better ones, completely relentless, but at the top of the list are these three:

Double indemnity - Time top 100, AFI top 100 - her most famous film. Once again, a film noir which is not really my genre but still great and really amazing acting.

The Lady Eve - Time top 100. AFI top 100 comedies, perhaps my personal favorite of hers, even though it doesn't take itself too seriously

Titanic - Oscar for best writing in 1953, and my favorite of the titanic films. Even though they don't crash until the last 10 or 15 minutes .. extremely moving after they do. This has more a family perspective rather than james camerons Lovers perspective. It becomes very obvious why it won best writing after the crash happens.

I've heard good things about Ball of Fire but it wasn't available as a DVD via netflix.

I have a celeb crush on audrey hepburn who is more elegant, but in terms of powerful female roles and pure acting chops, no one beats barbara stanwyck

Fallschirmjäger

I figured this was still at least a little relevant since it's the movie playing in the theatre during Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I'm your man for classic movies smile I've seen this one a few times, and remember when Stanwyck played the mother of the Barkleys in The Big Valley when I watched it in rerun as a kid.

Anytime you wanna discuss old movies send me a message, I'd be glad to oblige!

Another good one is I Saw What You Did with Joan Crawford and a younger Joseph Cotten.

fostersAccount
I've never seen any of stanwyck's television appearances, just film. I'm 31 now so maybe I missed the big valley.

What did you think of the ending to Sorry, wrong number?
I thought it was great! Probably extremely shocking in it's day

Fallschirmjäger
I've never seen any of stanwyck's television appearances, just film. I'm 31 now so maybe I missed the big valley.

What did you think of the ending to Sorry, wrong number?
I thought it was great! Probably extremely shocking in it's day

It was a downer on all fronts, but to be expected in film noir such as this. Not all movies always see happy endings. It was a great movie on all fronts.

Fallschirmjäger
White Heat (1949) with good old James Cagney. now there's a movie. Who can forget Cagney yelling at the top of his voice, "Top of the World, Ma!"

fostersAccount
White heat was good but I actually preferred angels with dirty faces

Fallschirmjäger
White heat was good but I actually preferred angels with dirty faces

Oh yeah, another oldie but a goodie! Remember the other Cagney classic Yankee Doodle Dandy about the life and times of patriotic composer George Cohan?

And then there was The Man Of 1,000 Faces where Cagney played Lon Chaney. The man was quite versatile.

fostersAccount
I haven't seen 1000 faces or I saw what you did.
Added both to my queue

fostersAccount
I've seen 17 audrey hepburn movies.

Charade is the best
Breakfast at tiffanies also one of the greatest films I've seen
Love in the Afternoon too

They're all in my top 50 out of over 2000 films

Roman holiday was a really cute coming of age story
Wait until dark is one of my favorite horror films (I'm not a horror guy)
The Nun's story really opened my eyes to all the crazy shit nuns have to go through. I had no idea how extreme it is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.