Is the Force different now?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
In the EU, we were introduced to countless Force powers that stretched our imaginations to the limit. Force-users could do anything if they trusted in themselves. In new canon, the Force has been reduced largely to telekinesis, telepathy, mild hypnosis, electrical energy generation and the occasional Mortis power. Will the Force ever be as big and diverse as it once was, you think?

Emperordmb
I think they're gonna completely nerf it.

Based
As they should.

FreshestSlice
thumb up Honestly, the EU writers were starting to get ridiculous. The Force went from mystic guide to starship killer. The only thing that accomplished is making Vader's offhand statements about how powerful the Force was more concrete.

The Merchant
Nah there's a good chance they're going to OP it again.

Selenial
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
thumb up Honestly, the EU writers were starting to get ridiculous. The Force went from mystic guide to starship killer. The only thing that accomplished is making Vader's offhand statements about how powerful the Force was more concrete.

Pretty much this, The entire EU became a contest of which authors could tug off their own characters more than the others.

You see it happen in the NJO era novels, where authors wrote say 3 books out of 9 in a series, and their character rocked in their 3 but SUCKED in the other 6.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
thumb up Honestly, the EU writers were starting to get ridiculous. The Force went from mystic guide to starship killer. The only thing that accomplished is making Vader's offhand statements about how powerful the Force was more concrete. thumb up

No more Dragon Ball Z shit and Harry Potter magic.

Q99
Oh yes, it needed a hit with the nerf bat, much of that stuff was crazy. Early on it was overpowered ritual feats, later on it was pseudo-DBZ stuff.

There's still some Dathomir 'magic' from TCW, but it's much less.

S_W_LeGenD
I don't get the complaints when The Ones are canon.

Q99
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

The Ones, at least, are unique embodiment-of-the-force entities, and even then they weren't swatting fleets with force storms or eating planetary populations.

Plus, some of the stuff was bad, not because of power, but just because of *type*. Winning a force fight being about what artifacts you had doesn't seem right. Nor does big chanty rituals.

NTJack0
It'll go OP eventually.

It should probably get a nerf though, I wouldn't mind less insane force powers and more lightsaber shit.

Arhael
I was put-off by Talzin turning into a mist. How does it even work? Makes you think that she can't be killed because well, she is just a mist.

Emperordmb
They're portrayed as essentially the gods of Star Wars, so they get some leeway.

In any case, I never complained about extreme force power anyways.

GenomeFrozener

Beniboybling
I never found the EU to be any more "OP" than the movies, there are a few exceptions but in general it was reasonable.

As for diversity well don't expect powers to be any more flashy in the new movies than before, but we mustn't forget that the folks writing the new novels are the same guys writing the old novels.

We have little reason to believe it won't be business as usual, and Legends powers will slowly be eeked into canon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.