Yellowstone to erupt anytime now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Oneness
http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/supervolcano-yellowstone-national-park/2014/01/06/id/545385/

Long overdue, technically. There's a whole ocean of pressure under that lake floor.

Tzeentch
Looked at a map of the "kill-zone", the spots of the US where there's basically no hope for survival- and I realized that nothing of value would be lost.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/yellowstone-volcano.gif

San Francisco's a few hundred miles beyond the initial rape-zone, and hell, so's Las Vegas; almost all of Nevada would be ****ed except Las Vegas- proof there's a God.

The total destruction of the US north-west and half of Canada is something I can live with.

riv6672
Jackwad.

Oneness
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Looked at a map of the "kill-zone", the spots of the US where there's basically no hope for survival- and I realized that nothing of value would be lost.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/yellowstone-volcano.gif

San Francisco's a few hundred miles beyond the initial rape-zone, and hell, so's Las Vegas; almost all of Nevada would be ****ed except Las Vegas- proof there's a God.

The total destruction of the US north-west and half of Canada is something I can live with. You do realize the ash cloud will eventually grow to cover the entire circumference of the planet?

There goes the farm belt.

Tzeentch
Yeah, but who gives a ****.

Global warming, ash cloud- we're screwed either way.

Point is I'll at least have enough time to head down to Mexico and party for awhile, compared to the sorry ****s up north who get instant-immolation, Pompeii style.

FinalAnswer
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/834488-yellowstone-volcano-eruption-effects-entire-world-would-be-at-risk-if-supervolcano-erupts/

Better article, and there's basically no chance it could erupt without warning.

Tzeentch
y ruin the fun

riv6672
I take back my original post. You arent a jackwad.
You're a child.

Tzeentch
Why so blue, panda bear?

Lord Lucien
Ha! F*ck you, Wyoming.

Also, old news.

riv6672
Why so blue, panda bear?
Oh i'm not blue, Scooby Doo. Its not like i'm your HS guidance counselor 5 years from now.

I will admit to initial anger at the flippant banality of your posts.

Then i realized, its not like you're an adult, posting from an adult perspectiv, which would make you a tool.
You're a kid posting from mom and dad's house, who's never suffered a personal loss outside a video game.
The cut off to register here is what, 13? You must come in at just past that.

So, like i posted, i take back the jackwad. My mistake.

Bardock42
I'm not a big fan of ageism.

We shouldn't make fun of Blax cause he's (allegedly) a child, we should make fun of him because he's a fool!

Eminence
mmm

Verily.

Oneness
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/834488-yellowstone-volcano-eruption-effects-entire-world-would-be-at-risk-if-supervolcano-erupts/

Better article, and there's basically no chance it could erupt without warning. Oh, we'll know right before it erupts.

But it can erupt at ANY moment.

ArtificialGlory
Why so blue, panda bear?

Uh-oh, looks like you caused some butthurt. Kiss him on the cheek and apologize this instant, mister!

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Oneness
Oh, we'll know right before it erupts.

But it can erupt at ANY moment.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Oneness
Do you have a single fact to back that up? I'm just the messenger.

Ask the scientific community.

Oneness
Scientist have discovered that the ground in Yellowstone if 74cm higher than in was in 1923 - indicating a massive swelling underneath the park. The reservoir is filling with magma at an alarming rate. The volcano erupts with a near-clockwork cycle of every 600,000 years. The last eruption was more than 640,000 years ago - we are overdue for annihilation.

What would be the effect of an eruption?

Immediately before the eruption, there would be large earthquakes in the Yellowstone region. The ground would swell further with most of Yellowstone being uplifted. One earthquake would finally break the layer of rock that holds the magma in - and all the pressure the Earth can build up in 640,000 years would be unleashed in a cataclysmic event.

Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico. One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens. It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years, the time of the last super volcano eruption. Within minutes of the eruption tens of thousands would be dead.

The long-term effects would be even more devastating. The thousands of cubic kilometres of ash that would shoot into the atmosphere could block out light from the sun, making global temperatures plummet. This is called a nuclear winter. As during the Sumatra eruption a large percentage of the world's plant life would be killed by the ash and drop in temperature. Also, virtually the entire of the grain harvest of the Great Plains would disappear in hours, as it would be coated in ash. Similar effects around the world would cause massive food shortages.

Lek Kuen
It could happen, but we actively monitor it. And the chances of it happening soon over in the more distant future is low, though still possible.

Since it's eruption time range is actually really large

Oneness
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
It could happen, but we actively monitor it. Yea I agree that article had some misinformation.

It's overdue for an eruption as of now.

Oneness
Apparently, one of the major markers for volcanic activity/flow is the release of helium-4.

http://joeforamerica.com/2014/02/warning-signs-yellowstone-may-erupt/

http://endtimesforecaster.blogspot.com/2014/02/alert-yellowstone-bubbling-helium.html

FinalAnswer
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/yellowstone_sub_page_49.html

Lek Kuen
Yeah the talk of it being overdue is exaggerated. It can possibly erupt in the next few years, but the actual eruption cycle has it labeled in the more distant (but not by geological terms) future

NemeBro
Originally posted by riv6672
Oh i'm not blue, Scooby Doo. Its not like i'm your HS guidance counselor 5 years from now.

Then i realized, its not like you're an adult, posting from an adult perspectiv, which would make you a tool.
You're a kid posting from mom and dad's house, who's never suffered a personal loss outside a video game.

So, like i posted, i take back the jackwad. My mistake. No one cares that you lost your life and limbs in Korea dad.

Lord Lucien

So, like i posted, i take back the jackwad. My mistake. You're obliviousness is painful.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You're obliviousness is painful. *your

Tzeentch

So, like i posted, i take back the jackwad. My mistake. You must live in Montana. sad

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by NemeBro
*your Right?

riv6672
No one cares that you lost your life and limbs in Korea dad.
Like i told your mom, i dont claim you.

riv6672
*your
Your self ownage and grammar Nazi-age was both confusing AND amusing. thumb up

dadudemon
*your

*"Your..."

Tzeentch
You don't need to capitalize the first letter of a word if it's not the start of a sentence.

NemeBro
It's true, the asterisk clearly was.

Idiots.

NemeBro
Like i told your mom, i dont claim you. So you both claim the right to be self-righteously mature and make "yo mama" jokes?

Tzeentch
That wasn't a sentence, and an asterik is not a letter.

dadudemon
It's true, the asterisk clearly was.

Idiots.

You don't need to capitalize the first letter of a word if it's not the start of a sentence.

Thank you both for agreeing with me. Now let us look at the correction. First, the sentence being corrected:

You're obliviousness is painful.

The offered correction:

*your

What is wrong with that correction? It should be capital, for one. Additionally, to indicate proper context and application, use quote tags. Lastly, use an ellipsis to indicate that there are additional words after the "your" without having to type those additional words, like so:

Originally posted by dadudemon
*"Your..."

This concludes our lesson on how to be a proper Grammar Nazi. Hint: it is always douchey and you probably made a mistake, too.

Lord Lucien
This concludes our lesson on how to be a proper Grammar Nazi. Hint: it is always douchey and you probably made a mistake, too. *to

F*ck.

Oneness
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/yellowstone_sub_page_49.html I still don't stand corrected, what's more is that I'm beginning to become irritated by your attempts to make me look stupid. Not just yours either, I'm sick of member nitpicking at me - other OPs deserve tho.

"Precursors to volcanic eruptions include strong earthquake swarms and rapid ground deformation and typically take place days to weeks before an actual eruption. Scientists at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) closely monitor the Yellowstone region for such precursors. They expect that the buildup to larger eruptions would include intense precursory activity (far exceeding background levels) at multiple spots within the Yellowstone volcano. As at many caldera systems around the world, small earthquakes, ground uplift and subsidence, and gas releases at Yellowstone are commonplace events and do not reflect impending eruptions."

Never says that the release of helium-4 is "nothing to worry about".

My articles are both more recent than your uncovered "rudimentary explanatory" webpage.

Oneness
Yeah the talk of it being overdue is exaggerated. It can possibly erupt in the next few years, but the actual eruption cycle has it labeled in the more distant (but not by geological terms) future "It could still be tens of thousands of years before the next eruption. Having said that, it is always possible that things could change... and that's why we keep a close watch," he wrote.

Flip a coin.

Could be anytime now.

Not saying it's imminent, but it could become so at any moment.

Time Immemorial
I'm all for extinction level disasters. Time for Mother Nature to take back the planet.

RaventheOnly
There are 100, 1000, and 10,000 year events in geology which absolutely occur within those time frames as some of you have noted smile Multiple eruptions have occurred in human history that cause mini-ice ages even in civilized eras. With the tech we posses unless its eco-system shattering we probably would survive.

Oneness
Originally posted by RaventheOnly
There are 100, 1000, and 10,000 year events in geology which absolutely occur within those time frames as some of you have noted smile Multiple eruptions have occurred in human history that cause mini-ice ages even in civilized eras. With the tech we posses unless its eco-system shattering we probably would survive. Yeah but America wouldn't, economically America is fragile enough atm.

RaventheOnly
The US is probably the most stable country in terms of marshal power and economic viability. We are one of the few that if it needed had the resources to be self-sufficient. We just chose at the moment to use other countries resources like colonies before we use ours. WE produce the most grain and weapons in the world! stick out tongue

Time Immemorial
Is it boom time yet?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by RaventheOnly
WE produce the most grain and weapons in the world! stick out tongue If Yellowstone goes, your grain production goes with it.

RaventheOnly
If Yellowstone goes, your grain production goes with it.

I guess the weapons will have to work then smile

Oneness
No, America has no way of paying off the debt owed to other countries.

The debt created for the purpose of expanding the class difference between the middle and upper class, and decreasing the class difference between the lower and middle class. It's called private equities and outsourcing jobs to keep CEOs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Employees.

The upper class is a parasite that is killing its host, the middle class, and America at large in the process. This has been a paroxysmal process since the 70's.

Read modern economics.

We need to boycott and just stop paying taxes altogether all at once. That's the only way to save this country.

Between no taxes coming in and the debt owed, the officials in legislature will have to stop accepting bribes from the upper class to manipulate policy unethically.

America has gone batshit insane, the officials think they can just do anything, as do the upper class. Batshit.

Perhaps our position as a global leader, our domestic resources, our military, has sort of made us apathetic to the problems other countries face. Problems like being ethical and treating its true money-makers, the people, properly.

FinalAnswer
I still don't stand corrected, what's more is that I'm beginning to become irritated by your attempts to make me look stupid. Not just yours either, I'm sick of member nitpicking at me - other OPs deserve tho.

"Precursors to volcanic eruptions include strong earthquake swarms and rapid ground deformation and typically take place days to weeks before an actual eruption. Scientists at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) closely monitor the Yellowstone region for such precursors. They expect that the buildup to larger eruptions would include intense precursory activity (far exceeding background levels) at multiple spots within the Yellowstone volcano. As at many caldera systems around the world, small earthquakes, ground uplift and subsidence, and gas releases at Yellowstone are commonplace events and do not reflect impending eruptions."

Never says that the release of helium-4 is "nothing to worry about".

My articles are both more recent than your uncovered "rudimentary explanatory" webpage.

The .gov page is as recent as June, your articles date as recent as February this year, others going back years. It's also a .gov page, which is considerably more reliable then .com

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1lpfif/askscience_ama_ask_a_volcanologist/cc1hi55

Here's more looking into it.

Lek Kuen
"It could still be tens of thousands of years before the next eruption. Having said that, it is always possible that things could change... and that's why we keep a close watch," he wrote.

Flip a coin.

Could be anytime now.

Not saying it's imminent, but it could become so at any moment.

If it can be at any moment within a span of 10'000 years. The odds are it won't happen soon. Possible but much more likely to be one of the millions of days after you are gone.

Oneness
Gasses is a broad term. The article in which I listed clearly stated that helium-4 is "very rare" and specifically indicative of activity for yellowstone in particular.

So the average is 650,000 years, and the last one was 640,000 years ago. There's a few tens of millenniums window I'll give you that, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be tens of millenniums, millenniums, centuries, or even decades later as opposed to earlier as ya'll are ASS-YOU-ME-ing.

If it can be at any moment within a span of 10'000 years. The odds are it won't happen soon. Possible but much more likely to be one of the millions of days after you are gone. Source?

jinXed by JaNx
Havent they been saying this for decades? Either way it doesn't matter, If it does erupt there is nothing the world can do. If it erupts the entire world is fu**ed

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah but America wouldn't, economically America is fragile enough atm.

A nations economic and financial stability wouldn't matter for dick if Yellowstone erupted.

Oneness
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
A nations economic and financial stability wouldn't matter for dick if Yellowstone erupted. True. A bit of a checkmate for U.S.

Tzeentch
Thank you both for agreeing with me. Now let us look at the correction. First, the sentence being corrected:

The offered correction:

What is wrong with that correction? It should be capital, for one. Additionally, to indicate proper context and application, use quote tags. Lastly, use an ellipsis to indicate that there are additional words after the "your" without having to type those additional words, like so:

This concludes our lesson on how to be a proper Grammar Nazi. Hint: it is always douchey and you probably made a mistake, too. That's incorrect, though.

Lek Kuen
Gasses is a broad term. The article in which I listed clearly stated that helium-4 is "very rare" and specifically indicative of activity for yellowstone in particular.

So the average is 650,000 years, and the last one was 640,000 years ago. There's a few tens of millenniums window I'll give you that, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be tens of millenniums, millenniums, centuries, or even decades later as opposed to earlier as ya'll are ASS-YOU-ME-ing.

Source?

The fact that the odds of any specific day are pretty damn low. So the larger time span is more likely to have it happen.

It's worth watching, and preparing for because it will happen. But not worth thinking the world will end tomorrow, because it just as likely may not happen while it's still a problem

Oneness
But not worth thinking the world will end tomorrow A gamma ray burst could be on its way to wipe out earth's telecommunications and atmosphere. That actually could happen with zero warning.

There's a sense of urgency in everything that I plan.

That's why I have no plans. But I have lots of ideas for my future. I maintain spontaneity, and follow my callings as the come.

BackFire
I'm sure it's just a lot of hot air.

Tip your waitress.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm sure it's just a lot of hot air.

Tip your waitress.

I think not. This whole Yellowstone brouhaha has given me the perfect excuse to not tip a dime. What does it matter if we're all gonna die any moment now?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.