Assassin's Creed: Rogue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Demonic Phoenix
-lYKqkqPQFU

Yeah, they're now making two major console games a year.

FFS Ubisoft, WTF.

Link to pictures and more info

* Set in 1751. Settings include New York, a section of the Great Appalachian Valley, and a frozen North Atlantic ocean.

* Shaw Cormac is the playable character, a former Assassin turned Templar (w00t) who now hunts Assassins for his revenge as he was betrayed by the Brotherhood.

* Shaw will have to defend himself from Assassin attacks, and they could be hiding anywhere.

* Shaw's ship is called the Morrigan, and it will be able to rip through Ice-bergs and Ice-sheets.

* Naval combat is based on Black Flag's, with some additions. Chief among these is the enemy's ability to try and board the Morrigan.

I'm liking the badass cover, and the logo.
Seriously hoping controlled descent is available, but it prolly won't be, given that this game is supposed to be the third chapter in the North American saga (III & IV: BF).

Kazenji
Might possibly get this one

the pre-order thing is up, I think might be only for Europe

The Assassin's Creed: Rogue Collector's Edition Includes:

Assassin's Creed: Rogue Game
Collector's Box
Artbook
Official Soundtrack
3 Lithographs

Exclusive Single Player Missions:
The armor of Sir Gunn quest
The seige of Fort de Sable

-Pr-
I expect this to be a mostly reskinned 3/4, with most of the gameplay very much the same. Won't buy it outright (though it's nice to see an Irishman as the main character), but maybe when it gets cheap enough...

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
I expect this to be a mostly reskinned 3/4, with most of the gameplay very much the same.

Not sure about that one since its a different studio working on this one compared to the Unity one.

-Pr-
Would that not make it more likely that it is what I said?

Kazenji
Sure maybe Gameplay wise.

-Pr-
In most things, I would imagine it's similar, though the ice areas should be nice.

I just watched the trailer again. I must have been tired the other night, because that's an awful (and possibly offensive) accent. They couldn't just get an irish actor to do the irish voice?

the name is also laughable.

Lek Kuen
inb4 people tell pr what an Irish accent should sound like

-Pr-
thumb up

If less games used "stage irish", it would be much nicer.

I honestly don't think i'll want to play the game at all now, sadly.

Kazenji
In most things, I would imagine it's similar, though the ice areas should be nice.

Also before when i brought up regarding about the two different game studio's....no, what you said wasn't pretty much that.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Also before when i brought up regarding about the two different game studio's....no, what you said wasn't pretty much that.

Then what is it?

Kazenji
"Shrugs"

its your post.

Martian_mind

I just watched the trailer again. I must have been tired the other night, because that's an awful (and possibly offensive) accent. They couldn't just get an irish actor to do the irish voice?

The voice is a thing of beauty. You're just out of touch with the real Ireland.

-Pr-
"Shrugs"

its your post.

I'm just curious as to what you actually disagreed with, is all. You didn't seem to be making a post that was relevant to mine in the first place.

Originally posted by Martian_mind
The voice is a thing of beauty. You're just out of touch with the real Ireland.

Obviously.

Smasandian
I'm not buying it.

You know full well Ubisoft will release this game on PS4/Xbox One in the spring/summer....and have it called "remastered".

-Pr-
Oh, they will. ****ers.

ares834
So AC is now a biannual release... lol

Smasandian
I can see where they are coming from. Don't want to lose out on all that money from last gen buuuuuut, it is kind of crazy that its two completely different games for a franchise that has an annual release.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm not buying it.

You know full well Ubisoft will release this game on PS4/Xbox One in the spring/summer....and have it called "remastered".

That shit was okay with last gen, But with the new consoles..... erm

i just don't see the point in owning any of them at this point.

Kazenji
bBVMUAbdE8I

T7fZd1pditM

Zack Fair
Sigh.

Sometimes I hate this industry.

Demonic Phoenix
Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag (Templar ver.)

Smasandian
But with three different types of ship guns....

You get some forward guns! And some oil that creates flames! and a early version of a machine gun!!!

KingD19
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to play it. But aside from new people, slightly different ship gameplay and new locations, it's the same game. Not that I'm complaining much since Unity is going to be the real breadwinner. This'll be a nice sub entry.

Demonic Phoenix
But with three different types of ship guns....

You get some forward guns! And some oil that creates flames! and a early version of a machine gun!!!

And ice-bergs. And Snowstorms. 1 polar bear too.

I wonder if Connor will be the one to kill Shaw. mmm
Originally posted by KingD19
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to play it. But aside from new people, slightly different ship gameplay and new locations, it's the same game. Not that I'm complaining much since Unity is going to be the real breadwinner. This'll be a nice sub entry.

One of the locations is New York City. And I doubt it's going to be very different from the NYC in III. Maybe the only major difference will be the section that was burned down will be the pre-Great Fire version.

That said, I'm betting this game will have multiplayer. Seeing as Unity doesn't have it (thank goodness) that alone will probably be the reason some people buy it.

But yeah, I'll probably play it too. I don't have a PS4, and I'm not going to get one for a while, so I won't be able to play Unity sadly.

Smasandian
Hahaha. The problem is that it's such a cash grab. It feels like Unity is trying to do something different (much larger crowds, co-op, descent and etc) while this is like (people still have old gen systems, lets redo AC4 but put a templar in it).

KingD19
It's absolutely a cash grab. But they can sort of get away with it because it does indeed bridge a gap that would otherwise be between ACIV/ACIII and Unity.

Kazenji
4 reasons why Rogue will better then Unity according to cinemablend

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/4-Reasons-Assassin-Creed-Rogue-Looks-Better-Than-Assassin-Creed-Unity-66611.html?utm_content=buffer89d59&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Arachnid1
I'll check this game out.

To be honest though, they could have done the same premise with Haytham Kenway. This character is apparently part of the Kenway line anyways, and I love Haythem. He was was my favorite character in the series before his father in Black Flag.

Smasandian
4 reasons why Rogue will better then Unity according to cinemablend

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/4-Reasons-Assassin-Creed-Rogue-Looks-Better-Than-Assassin-Creed-Unity-66611.html?utm_content=buffer89d59&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Meh....

Kazenji
I'm looking forward to this AC game and i'm with Arachnid1 in regards to getting to play as a templer again.

Zack Fair
Meh.... Yeah. Wishful thinking at best.

---

I didn't know Unity was current gen exclusive tho. Kewl.

Smasandian
Yeah. I'm guessing that the couldn't port the game to last gen because it would ruin it. I'm thinking massive crowds from the French Revolution would break PS3/360.

KingD19
30,000 people all doing something? Yeah. Your system would blow up.

Kazenji
Read some stuff around where this takes place in he latest Game informer

It fits into the timeline around preceding the decline of the Assassins and Achilles Davenport's disillusionment or as they put it in the magazine, Shay Cormac could'eve been like Anakin skywalker & Davenport as Kenobi .

Kazenji
Achievement List is up

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/assassins-creed-rogue/achievements/

glad that there's no multiplayer related ones.

Demonic Phoenix
Been playing Rogue for a while now, and I must say, it's every bit as enjoyable as Black Flag.

Story seems to be freaking short though. Only 6/7 main sequences from the looks of it.
And damn, Shay is a freaking bawss. Haytham is back too, so that automatically makes Rogue >>> Unity.

Kazenji
Yeah i've heard about the train wreak that was Unity. I've only just started to become a templer in the game, Just freed guy and is about to retake the Morrigan

i haven't played Black Flag, But i like how the crafting system is set up like Far Cry 3 just make the items on the go.

Demonic Phoenix
Rogue is to Black Flag what Brotherhood was to 2. A refined version of a pretty damn good game all things considered.

I'm in the same sequence as you (just a couple of memories further ahead of you), and so far, my only gripe is that Shay's Templar outfit does not have a hood. Combat seems to be about as clunky as Black Flag's system was though. Ship combat remains as entertaining as ever.

Demonic Phoenix
Damn, this game feels a lot bigger than Black Flag did. Played it for 25 hours and all I've got is 50% synch. Story is stupidly short, but pretty good, and Shay is the second best protagonist AC has had IMO.

The River Valley is a pretty cool setting though. Some areas are considerably bigger than expected, and they look interesting (Old Growth Forest is ridiculous), but they're pretty empty.

Kazenji
I'm only up to about the 5th sequence, Been exploring River Valley i'm glad they put in the fast travel for the towns.

JamesMarshall
assassin creed is a great game it's most interesting game made by ubisoft i usually play it on my playstation, on recent i brought the costume of connor kenway i am shocked that it is perfect one that is wearing in the game. i refer to every one if you buy this costume then visit slimfitjackets uk

Morridini
So I just started playing this game. I got it for Christmas, but I let it lie for a while due to the low score it got from IGN and generally not hearing much about it (and of course, franchise fatigue).

But to my surprise, this is one of the best AC games! I'm really enjoying the story, and at first I was afraid that it was just a smaller reskin of Black Flag, but they sure did do A LOT of changes to the world and the mechanics. I find Shay to be a really interesting protagonist.

Kazenji
That's your problem right there trusting IGN game reviews.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Morridini
So I just started playing this game. I got it for Christmas, but I let it lie for a while due to the low score it got from IGN and generally not hearing much about it (and of course, franchise fatigue).

But to my surprise, this is one of the best AC games! I'm really enjoying the story, and at first I was afraid that it was just a smaller reskin of Black Flag, but they sure did do A LOT of changes to the world and the mechanics. I find Shay to be a really interesting protagonist.

Rogue is definitely not a smaller game than Black Flag. If you're like me, you'll get a little frustrated when you explore some of the areas in the River Valley.

And yes, Rogue is one of the best in the series. Black Flag was a really good game. Rogue improves upon it in almost every way. Better story, refined gameplay, far better main character (2nd best protagonist after Ezio imo), etc. Haytham is also a secondary character, so that's a definite plus.

TheHulk
As much as i love this game..it feels it just recycles Black Flag...

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheHulk
As much as i love this game..it feels it just recycles Black Flag...

Well it mostly is. It's built on the same foundation, so while it has all of the good stuff Black Flag had, it has the bad too.

As a game I like it, because I loved Black Flag, and more of the same is a good thing to me.

I'm a few hours in to it, and I'm enjoying it so far... But man, his ****ing accent is awful. What makes it worse is that Liam, his best friend, has a perfectly fine Irish accent (as the actor is Irish). I get that doing the whole "VA does motion capture too" thing is popular right now, but it isn't really necessary imo.

Anyway... I like the air rifle. that's cool.

Arachnid1
I finally finished Rogue. Great game, but I have a few criticisms. First off, it's way too short. It's most 2/3rds the length of previous games, and thats being generous. Throughout that short length, you are made to visit maybe 10% of all the areas in the game, which is a shame because that makes most areas feel like filler even though they are so well made. New York from Assassins Creed III (pre-ravaged) is a huge area, and you have two other great sized maps to visit. One of them is an icy set of glacier islands with iceburgs and penguins around, and the other is an AC3 like terrain with bunch of forests connected by rivers. It's all very beautiful, but there is little incentive to actually go visit all these ports outside of collectibles and unlocking items/outfits.

Now on to the good. The story is actually pretty damn good. It explains why the Assassins are extinct by AC3, it explains the purpose of the precursor sites, and it gives us closure on a bunch past characters (all of it sad, unfortunately; Ezio is officially the only assassin to have a truly happy ending). It also spans a long time period, so it ties together AC4, 3, and Unity in huge ways. It felt like Revelations in this regard. Closure is always welcome. The only person who didn't get any closure was Shay himself, which is a shame. One of the things I liked about AC4 is that it worked as a self contained story. Edward had his ending.

Shay himself was an awesome character. It was cool playing as a badass, high ranking Templar (I always enjoy this aspect; Haytham Kenway is my second favorite character in this series, right behind his dad, so its great seeing his side for a game). We got to see history from their side throughout the entire game, and it was an interesting POV. On the other hand, it was sad wreaking havoc on the Assassins. One assassination especially, had a huge impact on me. Fuuaark. Shays character arc into a full out villain throughout the game was well done. The games short length did make it feel quick, but taking into account all the years that passed between sequences makes that forgivable, as does his reasoning for it all.

As far as the gameplay, while this did borrow a lot from AC4 and 3, it felt unique. The assassins are your enemies this time around, and they actually built the gameplay around that. You are hunted by enemies you cant see, and you're preventing assassinations as opposed to carrying them out. All the assassins you killed (your former friends) also had their own unique set pieces leading to their deaths, so while the game was short, it was bombastic all the way through. I had experiences in this game I've never had in an AC game. So many great missions.

Rogue is at it's best if you've played AC3, 4, and Unity to a lesser extent (it leads directly into Unity, so it's probably better to play Rogue before it). It serves as an exclamation point to AC3 and 4, so it does lose a bit of its own identity because of this. Shay is a vessel to closure for past games, and filling us in on certain characters and plot lines, while showing us the story from a different POV. I liked it, and it's definitely worth playing. I'd rank it a little lower than I originally thought though, since it doesn't really stand on its own as well. It really depends on you having played the other games.

1. Black Flag
2. AC2
3. Brotherhood
4. Rogue
5. Syndicate
6. Revelations
7. AC3
8. Unity
9. AC

tl;dr If you've played AC3 and 4, definitely play this one. Preferably before Unity.

-Pr-
Agreed for the most part. It was a lot of fun. His voice is still shit, but as the game went on, it became less of an issue.

Arachnid1
Yeah, something about the way he talked bugged me. I'm no expert on Irish accents though, so I'm not sure what it was. Still, it grew on me and I accepted it as part of his character eventually.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah, something about the way he talked bugged me. I'm no expert on Irish accents though, so I'm not sure what it was. Still, it grew on me and I accepted it as part of his character eventually.

It was just a bad Irish accent in general.

I did like the tie in with Unity; I had finished Unity first and I still didn't feel like it spoiled it for me.

Kazenji
Got Unity recently for the PS4...doesn't seem to have as much issues after the 6 GB patch, Not that i actually got the game on launch.

Arachnid1
He guys, this game went backwards compatible a few days ago.

It's one of the best ACs IMO, so you cant go wrong picking it up on 360.

Kazenji
This game is getting remastered with all the DLC with it

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/11/16878870/assassins-creed-rogue-remaster-4k-trailer-ps4-xbox-one-release-date

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.