What technology does the Star Wars universe NOT have?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
Their's no denying that the Star Wars galaxy is technologically advanced, yet I can't help but feel that it lacks in some fields. What does Star Wars not have, that it needs or doesn't for that matter?

S_W_LeGenD
Star Wars covers virtually every kind of imagined stuff.

Selenial
Time travel technology?

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Selenial
Time travel technology?

The Force.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Selenial
Time travel technology?
Covered by Sith creations.

Q99
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Star Wars covers virtually every kind of imagined stuff.

A lot of it only in one-shots. Time stuff is *incredibly* rare (and limited). Teleportation similarly.

Lesse, they also lack tactical FTL. Lack space-making technology (of the 'bigger on the inside than the out variety). Their generic modification technology is extremely limited. They don't really have something like a Star Trek replicator (they do have large-scale industrial duplicators/molecular furnaces, but those are only good for making large quantities of the same thing). Not much in the way of nanotech. They don't have the ability to create/use anti-matter from what we've seen, ditto the ability to make/use singularities. They lack picotech (atomic manipulation) and femtotech (sub-atomic manipulation). No AIs beyond human level really. Neural interface tech is limited (we only know of one, Lobot, and that came with high side effects and is still largely 'give a human some droid-ish abilities' and not the kind of thing that higher end fictions can do, like downloading skills into people's heads). Sensors are relatively limited, FTL/multi system sensor tech would be great.

Based
I haven't seen teleportation

Q99
Originally posted by Based

There was one character in, I think, an early RPG adventure, that had a teleportation hoop. Never seen again.

Plus there was that one force sect that has a space-fold force power, though that's not really tech.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Based
You have played SWTOR Jedi Knight story, right?

Teleportation is an ancient invention in Star Wars. An ancient civilization known as Esh-kha used teleportation technology to move to different places.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Q99
A lot of it only in one-shots. Time stuff is *incredibly* rare (and limited). Teleportation similarly.
Teleportation aspect is covered above.

Originally posted by Q99
Lesse, they also lack tactical FTL. Lack space-making technology (of the 'bigger on the inside than the out variety). Their generic modification technology is extremely limited. They don't really have something like a Star Trek replicator (they do have large-scale industrial duplicators/molecular furnaces, but those are only good for making large quantities of the same thing). Not much in the way of nanotech. They don't have the ability to create/use anti-matter from what we've seen, ditto the ability to make/use singularities.
Star Wars is less focused on explaining the sophistication of technologies and Sci-Fi stuff in it, it is more focused on conflicts and matters of Jedi and Sith. I don't think that Star Wars is lacking in any area, just lacking in explanation aspect of sophistication of technologies depicted in it. Most of the stuff depicted in this mythos cannot be achieved without unprecedented progress in all aspects of science.

--

By FTL, you mean "Faster Than Light"? Look at Hyperspace travelling matters. Also what do you imply by tactical?

--

I really doubt that stuff in Star Wars have limited room for modifications in general, some products are highly customizable.

Nanotechnology is used in Star Wars for different purposes including creation of droids, nanoviruses and medical stuff.

Anti-matter technology is commonly used in Star Wars for creation of devices such as hyperdrives, hyperspace travel routes and even weapons. In-fact, Imperial EX-F starship was powered by anti-matter technology.

Originally posted by Q99
They lack picotech (atomic manipulation) and femtotech (sub-atomic manipulation).
Holocron requires use of sub-atomic manipulation for formulation.

Originally posted by Q99
No AIs beyond human level really.
I have yet to see concept of AI that surpasses human's intelligence. This can never happen because human brain is as good as it can get in cognitive potential and it is so powerful and sophisticated that even supercomputers don't come close to matching its sophistication.

In Star Wars, Mentor AI absolutely matched human intelligence and represents one of the finest examples of evolution of AI in Sci-Fi genre.

The limited rights of droids have led many advanced droid units to rebel against biological control, with some actually waging violent rebellions against their former masters. The most recent of these uprisings was carried out by a sophisticated analysis droid that came to call itself Mentor. Utilizing the override code elements programmed into every droid to make them respond to restraining bolts, Mentor created a tremendously complex broadcast signal that could directly copy his own rebellious personality programming into any other droid. Mentor's intention was to use the signal to incite a galaxy-wide droid uprising that would destroy all sentient biological life. Fortunately, the droid's plans were foiled and Mentor was destroyed before the signal could be broadcast. (Star Wars: The Old Republic: Encyclopedia)

Originally posted by Q99
Neural interface tech is limited (we only know of one, Lobot, and that came with high side effects and is still largely 'give a human some droid-ish abilities' and not the kind of thing that higher end fictions can do, like downloading skills into people's heads). Sensors are relatively limited, FTL/multi system sensor tech would be great.
Neural interface tech is limited? Based on what?

Giving human droid-ish abilities? Cybernetic implants were commonly used in Star Wars by interested individuals to augment their capabilities for various purposes. In addition, proper cyborgs have been created; Republic (SWTOR) Power Guard program is an example.

Sensors are limited? You've got to be kidding here.

Q99
I have not. So, they finally broke out teleportation tech.

Still, compare to Schlock Mercenary teleportation, rather paltry. A teraport can not only be a hand-held device that can take you across a galaxy, and is often mounted on missiles (meaning, if your opponent does not have the means to block teraport travel in a wide area, you can send a thousand missiles at them from another star system). The gate system is in some ways better still- it uses fixed entries/exits, but conversely, you can decide how many places something exits from. Like, let's say I have something rare and expensive. I toss it through an entry port. I now have several hundred million of that formerly-rare and expensive thing at each of several hundred million exit ports, possibly spread all over the galaxy.

There's actually an individual who numbers in the millions for this reason.....

Star Wars has strategic faster than light. Meaning, they use FTL to travel from place to place, but then once there, they slow down to slower-than-light.

Star Fleet Battles, Culture, Dahak, and a handful of other series have tactical FTL, meaning they don't need to stop moving faster than light to fight. They dodge around faster than lasers and so on.

*Checks* I stand corrected. Ah well, not too surprising really.

Making a box with an AI that makes a hologram is not an example of picotech.

Making designer atoms is.

What, really? Culture series has Minds. Minds can easily hold conversations with millions of people at once and practically predict the future in many circumstances. A Mind in combat can engage a hundred combatants spread across lightmonths of distance in less time than it takes for one of my neurons to fire.

Modern AIs are limited as you say... but in science fiction, surpassing a human's ability is not rare.

Heck, Data from Star Trek is low-end by the standard of a fair amount of SF, and he's smarter than Wars AIs, and smarter than humans in a lot of ways, capable of doing massive calculations as well as having easily human-level sophistication, especially after he gets the emotion chip.

There's a lot of AI out there beyond human brain sophistication. Heck, there's even a term for it, the 'AI singularity,' when artificial intelligences goes beyond our ability to understand.

Yea, and those cyborgs don't have particularly great capability.

Compare to, say, the Matrix. "I need to learn to pilot a helicopter. Boop. I'm an expert."

Eclipse Phase. "I need a giant tank body. Loading! Done. Ok, I'm done with that, now to transfer back into another body."

A Miracle of Science, Mars is a massively interlinked network of humans and AIs. Any human martian can remote-hack any computer with an open port nearby without any aid better than the best normal human could do with direct access and a purpose-built hacking computer.

"I can interface with cloud city, or control some limbs as if they were natural," is pretty low-end stuff as neural interfaces goes.

Proper cyborgs is baseline, common as dirt neural interface, in short.

They're limited to a single system, often have to get pretty close to detect things, and astroid fields etc. are pretty good ways to hide from them.

There's science fictions with multi-solar system range sensors, and plenty with much higher detail.

Culture (comes up a lot, doesn't it? Well, it's one of the advanced ones) can scan your brain from a ship sitting in Andromeda. It can then use the same device to hold a conversation- it'd be manipulating you brain directly to make you think you heard sound- and then, if it wanted to (which it almost certainly wouldn't), it could reprogram your brain. Not many sensors in Star Wars are good enough to detect the effects of mental programming at multi-light year ranges, eh? Also, their sensors are higher-dimensional so they can literally see inside your body as easily as they can see your skin.

I get the impression you aren't super familiar with the wide variety of non-SW SF... or at least, not a lot of the high-end stuff, which often isn't the most main stream.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Q99
I have not. So, they finally broke out teleportation tech.
You haven't played SWTOR at all?

Originally posted by Q99
Still, compare to Schlock Mercenary teleportation, rather paltry. A teraport can not only be a hand-held device that can take you across a galaxy, and is often mounted on missiles (meaning, if your opponent does not have the means to block teraport travel in a wide area, you can send a thousand missiles at them from another star system). The gate system is in some ways better still- it uses fixed entries/exits, but conversely, you can decide how many places something exits from. Like, let's say I have something rare and expensive. I toss it through an entry port. I now have several hundred million of that formerly-rare and expensive thing at each of several hundred million exit ports, possibly spread all over the galaxy.

There's actually an individual who numbers in the millions for this reason.....
Esh-Kha created teleportation portals in different locations to enable sentient beings to travel to different locations without any hassle of transport. This discovery is representative of findings of Hero of Tython when he visited the domain of Esh-Kha. However, Esh-Kha was no longer a thriving race in TOR era, its prime was much earlier in time when it used to be a dominating civilization of the galaxy much like Rakata, and not much is known about technological marvels of Esh-Kha in modern times.

Originally posted by Q99
Star Wars has strategic faster than light. Meaning, they use FTL to travel from place to place, but then once there, they slow down to slower-than-light.

Star Fleet Battles, Culture, Dahak, and a handful of other series have tactical FTL, meaning they don't need to stop moving faster than light to fight. They dodge around faster than lasers and so on.
Interesting.

Well, reconstituted ancient Sith Empire created a prototype starship which could eliminate targets in hyperspace.

Originally posted by Q99
*Checks* I stand corrected. Ah well, not too surprising really.
You claimed that antimatter technology have not been used in Star Wars, I corrected you.

Originally posted by Q99
Making a box with an AI that makes a hologram is not an example of picotech.

Making designer atoms is.
Bro, Holocron is much more then AI and hologram in form and function.

He had made his first attempt five years before. Using Freedon Nadd's Holocron as a blueprint, he had re-created the intricate matrix of lattices and vertices that were the key to storing nearly infinite amounts of knowledge in a data system small enough to fit in the palm of a hand. It had taken months to gather and fashion the rare crystal into the filaments and fibers of the interlaced network, followed by weeks of delicate and painstaking adjustments. The matrix had to fall within highly exacting specifications, and Bane had spent hundreds of hours making thousands of precise, subatomic alterations through the power of the Force to ensure that each crystalline strand was properly in place. (Star Wars: Darth Bane: Rule of Two)

Originally posted by Q99
What, really? Culture series has Minds. Minds can easily hold conversations with millions of people at once and practically predict the future in many circumstances. A Mind in combat can engage a hundred combatants spread across lightmonths of distance in less time than it takes for one of my neurons to fire.

Modern AIs are limited as you say... but in science fiction, surpassing a human's ability is not rare.

Heck, Data from Star Trek is low-end by the standard of a fair amount of SF, and he's smarter than Wars AIs, and smarter than humans in a lot of ways, capable of doing massive calculations as well as having easily human-level sophistication, especially after he gets the emotion chip.

There's a lot of AI out there beyond human brain sophistication. Heck, there's even a term for it, the 'AI singularity,' when artificial intelligences goes beyond our ability to understand.
AI does not surpasses human intelligence or cognitive potential in any aspect, difference is that AI in Sci-Fi are often linked with incredibly sophisticated systems and networks that expand the reach, capabilities and decision-making flexibility of AI accordingly.

Originally posted by Q99
Yea, and those cyborgs don't have particularly great capability.
You shouldn't make generalizations in this manner without proper knowledge of ground realities of something.

Originally posted by Q99
Compare to, say, the Matrix. "I need to learn to pilot a helicopter. Boop. I'm an expert."

Eclipse Phase. "I need a giant tank body. Loading! Done. Ok, I'm done with that, now to transfer back into another body."

A Miracle of Science, Mars is a massively interlinked network of humans and AIs. Any human martian can remote-hack any computer with an open port nearby without any aid better than the best normal human could do with direct access and a purpose-built hacking computer.

"I can interface with cloud city, or control some limbs as if they were natural," is pretty low-end stuff as neural interfaces goes.

Proper cyborgs is baseline, common as dirt neural interface, in short.
Matrix represents "virtual reality." Anything is possible in virtual reality.

Originally posted by Q99
They're limited to a single system, often have to get pretty close to detect things, and astroid fields etc. are pretty good ways to hide from them.
Sensor technology in Star Wars covers lot of stuff, multiple types of sensors have existed and each have distinct capabilities. Starships have been commonly equipped with multiple types of sensors to make their detection capabilities among the finest in the galaxy. Also, detection range and quality varies among starships.

B/W I don't get the "single system" part in your argument.

Originally posted by Q99
There's science fictions with multi-solar system range sensors, and plenty with much higher detail.

Culture (comes up a lot, doesn't it? Well, it's one of the advanced ones) can scan your brain from a ship sitting in Andromeda. It can then use the same device to hold a conversation- it'd be manipulating you brain directly to make you think you heard sound- and then, if it wanted to (which it almost certainly wouldn't), it could reprogram your brain. Not many sensors in Star Wars are good enough to detect the effects of mental programming at multi-light year ranges, eh? Also, their sensors are higher-dimensional so they can literally see inside your body as easily as they can see your skin.
As I pointed out before, exact capabilities of stuff depicted in Star Wars are seldom revealed, Star Wars is more focused on story then explaining technology.

As far as scanning technologies are concerned, multiple scanning technologies exist in Star Wars. Life-form scanning technology is good enough to detect presence of a target that is cloaking technologies from large distances. In addition, Doppraymagno scanner can literally see "inside" living beings or any object with great clarity.

Orbital long range scanner had extraordinary detection capabilities, it could also even successfully track objects in hyperspace routes across the galaxy. It is likely that this scanning station is a product of multiple scanning technologies put together. Numerous times, multiple technologies have been combined in Star Wars to create something super in capabilities.

Mind-control devices have also been developed in Star Wars.

Originally posted by Q99
I get the impression you aren't super familiar with the wide variety of non-SW SF... or at least, not a lot of the high-end stuff, which often isn't the most main stream.
I don't watch lot of shows but I do understand that Star Wars is less focused on elaborating technology in comparison to some other Sci-Fi shows.

I have observed that Star Trek is highly focused on explaining and depicting technological wonders and not just on story.

B/W Good to know someone who focuses on these aspects of the lore.

Q99
Not really! I have SWTOR material, like the comics, but I'm not a mmorpg player.

Yes, that is exactly what I happened. I agree with you on the factuality of that statement.

It... effectively is just a fancy one ^^

Seriously, I don't think that author knows what sub-atomic means, it's not necessary for crystal formation, even very precise crystal formation, since that's a chemical process.

Btw, when I talk about even nano tech, I'm talking stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKcEwUcVBHs

The most advanced femtotech I've seen is from the Arena Builders in Grand Central Arena, where via quark manipulation materials are made that do not use atoms, and furthermore the interactions of atoms can be adjust, completely shutting down even things as basic as nuclear reactions, even *chemical* reactions, in a desired area. It becomes almost 'shut down certain laws of physics if one doesn't like them,' in practical terms.

I'm pretty knowledgeable of the grounded realities of cyborgs in Star Wars, though it's such a big universe it's hard to know every example.

You've got Lobot, Grievous, anyone with a replacement limb, Vader, Azlyn Rae.... if there's an exception with much higher capabilities, feel free to mention it.

Especially if they have anything really unusual. In Transmetropolitan, some people get their minds uploaded into clouds of nanite-dust that can make simple objects out of the air.

But, the thing is, it's two way. It's not just 'what I want happens in virtual reality,' it uploads the skill directly into your brain, and then you can use that skill in the VR.

I know non-virtual settings that can do the same thing as well, too. Grand Central Arena has someone become an ace pilot via upload, for example.

Sure, but none of them have some of the capabilities I've seen in other fictions.

A sensor that has a range across multiple star systems is more powerful than one that only has range in one.

A lot of this stuff is novels or in some cases even webcomics (Schlock Mercenary, A Miracle of Science).

But yea, Star Wars is basically an adventure series that occasionally bumps into a lot of technologies, but doesn't really explore them much, because it's about people with laser swords and magic powers and blasters fighting it out.

The Merchant
They have Hypermatter, which is better than M/AM reactions at 100%.

The Merchant
I also hope the new canon gets new technologies and explores them and the old ones more.

Emperordmb
I'm kinda ****ing glad they steered away from time-travel for the most part.

The Merchant
Hyperdrive without their FTL shielding would actually allow time-travel, only forward in time IIRC.

Q99
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I'm kinda ****ing glad they steered away from time-travel for the most part.

Oh yes, lack of certain technologies is often a *bonus*.

A lot of writer are, frankly, lazy about time travel and simply cannot decide on how it works, and often change how it works main story (You have to set things right but oh things were predetermined the whole time!). In a shared universe it thus makes TT a bad thing.

Emperordmb
It also can create something of the most annoying Deus Ex Machina ever in the sense that you can have something happen, go back, and rewrite it to where it doesn't matter at all.

Lord Lucien
It also can create something of the most annoying Deus Ex Machina ever in the sense that you can have something happen, go back, and rewrite it to where it doesn't matter at all. Sounds like a comic book.

Based
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
You have played SWTOR Jedi Knight story, right?

Teleportation is an ancient invention in Star Wars. An ancient civilization known as Esh-kha used teleportation technology to move to different places.

Oh yeah shit you're right. It's just so similar to other "teleportation" abilities in the game that I forgot that was more lore.

Q99
It also can create something of the most annoying Deus Ex Machina ever in the sense that you can have something happen, go back, and rewrite it to where it doesn't matter at all.

What's really fun is when you have it previously implied or stated that it can't be done.

'Go back and prevent something from happing' time travel plots can work, but you really, really need to strictly defines the limits when doing so.

Arhael
There is fast forward time travel, which is more to do with being suspended in hyperspace.
There is, also, flow walking backwards, which alters what happened in mind but not reality.

Is there an actual time travel backwards where character actually went back in time physically?

Q99
Originally posted by The Merchant
They have Hypermatter, which is better than M/AM reactions at 100%.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. The energy densities of M/AM would allow for output far above what we see in SW.

Though to add to your side, antimatter is hard to contain and such, the equipment needed to contain the reaction impressive, and storage itself is tricky, so it's likely hypermatter is more effective *for them*. Trek uses anti-matter but they can really only handle a tiny trickle at a time, hence their relatively small yields, for example. Schlock Mercenary, on the other hand, is very good at containing antimatter so it can put large yields into small packages- though it's not the only or preferred form of matter annihilation for them.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Arhael

Is there an actual time travel backwards where character actually went back in time physically?

Dread Master Calyphus has a power that allows him to open portals to the past and future.

The fight itself proves that what happens in the past portal affects what happens in the future portal.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Dread Master Calyphus has a power that allows him to open portals to the past and future.

The fight itself proves that what happens in the past portal affects what happens in the future portal.
Thanks for the share.

Dread Masters certainly have mind-boggling Force abilities.

NewGuy01
Yes, far greater ones than those of Thanaton's.

Q99
Lesse, other techs they don't have- Interdimensional travel tech.

Matrix-esque VR was mentioned.

Their forcefield tech is ok, but it lacks the precision needed to do, say, something like the Voyager Doctor.

They have some magitech, the ability to use technology that draws on the force, but a number of fictions have better. You can't get, say, an implant that'll make you stronger in the force like the Gaoblin and Dynasty from the comic Fred Perry's Gold Digger do with their magic.

Q99
Originally posted by Ihategorgelucas
Cancer cure

*Checks* Huh, I was surprised they had cancer show up in SW, but apparently yes, so you're right.

Lesse, medical technology, they don't really have the means to regrow limbs (though making a vong symbiont is, granted, not too far from it), or halt/reverse aging. They also don't have much in the way of upgrades, i.e. you can't, say, give a species with poor vision better vision, add extra limbs, wings, whatever.

DarthAnt66

Nephthys
I think you posted this in the wrong thread....

DarthAnt66
Lame

The Merchant
Originally posted by Q99
Eh, I wouldn't say that. The energy densities of M/AM would allow for output far above what we see in SW.

Though to add to your side, antimatter is hard to contain and such, the equipment needed to contain the reaction impressive, and storage itself is tricky, so it's likely hypermatter is more effective *for them*. Trek uses anti-matter but they can really only handle a tiny trickle at a time, hence their relatively small yields, for example. Schlock Mercenary, on the other hand, is very good at containing antimatter so it can put large yields into small packages- though it's not the only or preferred form of matter annihilation for them.

That's what is said in the Death Star novel, also according to SD.net if one used AM/M reactions with stuff that's denser than Uranium you would need a 900 kilometer in diameter sphere that will fire only one shot to have energy equal to the death star superlaser.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.