Forced apologies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
Every once in awhile someone says something on tv that gets people mad and the person is forced to make a public apology to keep his/her job, status etc. It usually feels forced and not sincere. Do you think those apologies are necessary or do you believe they're pointless.

Example: Comedian Jimmy Carr's apologizes for one of his bits.
http://youtu.be/MDQ5pq0xxjo

Bardock42
Well, what would the alternative be.

Ideally they would see the error of their ways if they did something wrong and would genuinely apologise. Or if they didn't do something wrong (in their belief) they would stand up for that, which obviously may lead to a loss of job or status.

However I understand why a forced apology may seem the best course of action for them, it is likely to appease at least some part of the outraged people. However, if you feel they did something wrong and just did an insincere apology obviously that should not appease you.

Lord Lucien
I'm an admirer of the Mel Gibson school of apology:

THVjdKDCE6E

Mindset
It embarrasses them, at the very least.

vansonbee
China shows how the world it is done.

fwwjfEX9oOI__GvDIQqCBI

SamZED
When I created the thread I had comedians in mind. They usually make fun of everything. And the same people who laugh at most of the offensive jokes get all worked up once the joke concerns them personally. A bit hypocritical IMO.

Scoobless
One of my colleagues was put into this position. He left our CEOs meeting early, saying it was a waste of time and he had better things to do. The next day he was told to apologize to the entire staff or resign. He apologized. Wuss.

riv6672
Originally posted by SamZED
When I created the thread I had comedians in mind. They usually make fun of everything. And the same people who laugh at most of the offensive jokes get all worked up once the joke concerns them personally. A bit hypocritical IMO.
Hypocritical indeed. Reminds me of when Isaac Hayes quit South Park after they made fun of scientology.

Mindship
Make 'em squirm.

jinXed by JaNx
Forced apology is worse than an insult, it's almost like a two for one.

riv6672
So, BETTER than an insult, then.

Shey Tapani
Considering the stupid stuff sometimes people have to apoligise for i think it's a bad thing that the most sensitive people can mess up your google history. If people would be really outraged they would show up in person instead of yapping behind a keyboard.

riv6672
What do you mean by mess up Google history?

Shey Tapani
Why else would public figures be so afraid what amounts to in most cases small online mobs?

riv6672
Ah. Understand.
Thanks!

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by riv6672
So, BETTER than an insult, then.

In the sense that better means worse, yea.

Astner
Yeah, I've been subject to them many times on this forum. But not so much the "say you're sorry!"-kind but rather the "I better say I'm sorry or else I might end up banned,"-kind. After all, no one here is worth losing my account over.

I find them convenient, so... yay?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.