Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (2014) (Warning: Book/Show Spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
You've been forewarned. This game takes place after the current point in the show during the Feast of Crows/Dance of Dragons (possibly after) period. We've got our first pieces of information on the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/29/telltale-releases-first-game-of-thrones-title-information

For now then, our best guess is that the series will follow Stannis' troubled march to Winterfell as he's battered by snowstorms and prepares to face off against the Boltons, with you taking the role of a member of House Forrester. In the books, we never meet any named character from this noble house, though we do know they're from the Wolfswood in the North and sworn to House Glover of Deepwood Motte. As a result, it seems we're likely to encounter an entirely original character when the story starts.

Get ready to get attached to meaningless characters only for them to be killed off at the end of every episode lol. This is probably going to be my favorite Telltale game. Wolf Among Us and TWD were both great, so I have high hopes for this.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/08/got-twitter-IGN.jpg

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1259/9938/original.jpg

I doubt that last picture is real, but lol.

Nephthys
http://i.imgur.com/3eKv4.gif

NemeBro
So we're just following Stannis through snow and forest?

They couldn't pick anything more interesting than that?

Also, don't even care. Give me a ****ing Game of Thrones action RPG. thumb up

Smasandian
Considering the Walking Dead was such a huge success, I'm interested to see this game in action.

Currently going through Walking Dead Second season and loving it.

Nephthys
Originally posted by NemeBro

Also, don't even care. Give me a ****ing Game of Thrones action RPG. thumb up

I.... think they did.

Arachnid1

Also, don't even care. Give me a ****ing Game of Thrones action RPG. thumb up Martin has a give for making even the most mundane (in practice) events into amazing set pieces. For example, I was not excited to sit through Edmure Tully's wedding to some mousy Frey girl.

He also has a gift for introducing new characters and making them exciting and interesting as hell. Oberyn Martell of Dorne (a house and region I didn't care one bit about previously) comes to mind. A more recent example for me that blew my mind in the books is Young Griff. I'm not even sure I should put that in spoiler tags. The name is so insignificant at that anyone who isn't already aware would forget within a few seconds.

I have no doubt GRRM will make House Forrester and Deepwood Motte a blast to explore. I'm already somewhat interested since they're a Northern House that worships the Old Gods.

And if you haven't yet given Telltales previous games a chance, you should. They have a gift for storytelling. The style fits A Song of Fire and Ice (a book series set from personal perspectives that revolves completely around different characters choices and outcomes) to a T. I'll take this over an RPG for storytelling any day.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Considering the Walking Dead was such a huge success, I'm interested to see this game in action.

Currently going through Walking Dead Second season and loving it. I just got the second season. I'm going to play through the first one more time before I begin though. I'm gonna miss Lee. The dude is my alltime favorite TWD character (show, game, comic, whatever). Lee is f*cking awesome.

How does season 2 stack up to season 1 so far?

FinalAnswer
Inferior.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
I.... think they did. I guess I should have thrown "good" somewhere in that post.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Martin has a give for making even the most mundane (in practice) events into amazing set pieces. For example, I was not excited to sit through Edmure Tully's wedding to some mousy Frey girl.

Martin also isn't actually working on this game at all, lol.

His personal assistant is as a "story consultant", which is fine, but I don't have high hopes for the writing being as gripping as the fat man himself's.

I read all the books before you did. I likely know much more about the setting than you. I don't need you to sell them to me.

Could be. Shame that the game isn't taking place during something inherently interesting though. Like the Civil War maybe. Or being an Ironborn raider. In fact, for a setting as diverse and interesting as GoT, I'd go as far as to say that the ideal course of action would be to have multiple viewpoints.

They're not even the best at storytelling in gaming. I've played both seasons of The Walking Dead and started The Wolf Among Us. Sure, Walking Dead (Particularly season 1) is a perfectly good feelsy storyline with lots of emotional moments and shit (Although to be honest the story is also fairly intellectually bankrupt, possibly because any themes are carried over from the series it is based off of). Kenny is best character, Lee and Clementine are also golden. Want to know what it doesn't have?

Interesting gameplay. Frankly it's more or less an interactive movie. It has little in common with a proper adventure game because every solution for a problem is so blatantly obvious that there's no challenge involved (Unless you consider missing a QTE challenge). It's an inherently inferior gameplay model that just exists to bring you from one plot point to the next.

The story's presentation is itself flawed. For a game that claims the story adapts to your choices it is frankly bad at doing so. If you have to make a choice between two characters dying, the one you choose to live almost never amounts to shit in the long run. They then proceed to die after doing not much of anything, usually an episode later. This is especially bad in season 2, but I won't spoil you.

Compare to Wrex who can die in Mass Effect 1, yet if he lives he continues to do cool plot relevant shit throughout the rest of the series.

Mass Effect is better in almost every way is what I am saying. thumb up

Also, seriously, I don't need a definition of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (The actual title btw). I've read the books.

NemeBro
Know what, take some of that post with a grain of salt, particularly me bashing its themes. I'm just really salty over season 2 of The Walking Dead.

Lek Kuen
You are right about the very simplified and most uninteresting gameplay. Which is fine sometimes but with them having several games a year now is getting a bit old.

Arachnid1
Martin also isn't actually working on this game at all, lol.

His personal assistant is as a "story consultant", which is fine, but I don't have high hopes for the writing being as gripping as the fat man himself's.

I read all the books before you did. I likely know much more about the setting than you. I don't need you to sell them to me.Oh, that wasn't meant to come off as condescending or offensive. I know you read the books before me and know more about them until I catch up. I remember you were one of the people I talked to about them before I started last February. That wasn't meant to convince you of the books. It was meant to convince you of the game. Those were all feelings you've probably felt at some point during your reading, like I did more recently. That was to give you something relate to how I'm trying to approach this game.

Of course, the reasoning falls a bit flat if GRRM has nothing to do with the game. I remember reading a long while back when this was announced that he was making the story for it. I guess that was wrong. :/

Eh, I may be biased since I'm rooting for Stannis to claim the throne, and the Boltons are my favorite villains. Seeing them clash without knowing the outcome is kind of exciting for me. Since I'm not yet finished with A Ball of Beasts, I don't know if their war happens before the end, so I don't know the outcome. I only found out from the book 3 days ago that Stannis is planning on claiming the North by marching on the Dreadfort, so I'm not sure if you already know the outcome of that (please, don't tell me lol).

Also, agreed with multiple view points. This game would greatly benefit from it. I'm actually assuming there will be, and this is just one chapter, or part of all the chapters. They did multiple view points in 400 days, so they definitely have a bit of experience with it. Hopefully they learned a ton from the experience of developing that DLC.

A story doesn't need to have a deep plot for it to be interesting well written. One thing I've noticed is that TWD Season 1 has basically the same exact story as TLoU (which was praised left and right for its story). Its just a middle aged man who lost his family to a zombie apocalypse and developed a father/daughter relationship with a random little girl he picks up through his journey (who he also ends up sacrificing everything for). TWD ended up winning game of the year for its story in 2012, and TLoU came close but was knocked out by GTAV in 2013. Silent Hill 2 had the same simple, but great storyline style and it stuck with people for over a decade.

Agreed on the false sense of "choice" the games have. That wears a bit thin. ME is similar though. Even if Wrex dies in ME1, another Krogan takes his place and does the exact same thing. Him surviving ME1 doesn't have any real impact on the story or the ending. I do agree that ME handles it better, but not by much. The only game I've played to legitimately live up to the 'your choices affect story' tagline is Heavy Rain.

As for interesting gameplay, I'm biased here too. I grew up with Indigo Prophecy and loved Heavy Rain to death (same people who made IP), so I have a love for the interactive movie/game style. IMO, they can portray more emotion and have a more interesting way of presenting the story. Then again, I also loved all the cutscenes in MGS4. My mentality on these kind of things isn't something that's widely held, so it may be a strange opinion.

And again, that was to explain how I'm trying to approach the game. thumb up

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Inferior.

Know what, take some of that post with a grain of salt, particularly me bashing its themes. I'm just really salty over season 2 of The Walking Dead.

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear. These posts are kind of worrying.

Bardock42
As someone who has also read the books, I can tell you NemeBro knows nothing.

NemeBro
You read them in German though. You read an inferior translation of the books.

Bardock42
lolno

NemeBro
I accept your concession.

Bardock42
See, that reading ability is why you don't know nothing about ASOIAF

NemeBro
You've already conceded, to continue posting like this when you've already admitted inferiority is unseemly Bardock. Learn from Asha's example and just give up when beaten.

Arachnid1
xZeJfIvy3Ck

Sounds like House Forrester is going to be targeted by Queen Cersie. Considering they're an inferior house, I predict the majority of them will be wiped out by the Lannisters and their allies.

Sucks to be a Forrester.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b1c1ec2a782a796073f6c0aa3f2f37666f0e0ba9/c=402-0-1834-1077&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/11/20/635520884780781152-Family-Week-Lord-F.jpeg

http://www.theipadguide.com/images/content/asher.jpg

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_cLH6BcfMkfVeGSv1Jpk7p43U_M=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2475826/unnamed__5_watermarked__1_.0.jpg

http://images.gamenguide.com/data/images/full/16634/game-of-thrones.jpg?w=720

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/280/2802776/2738939-got_ethan_watermarked.jpg

Ethan Forrester looks like a conniving traitorous little shit. Lord Forrester s going to be the wise but hardened father. Mira just seems like she wont survive the game. I expect her to get Martelled. Asher is going to be the lovable brute that gets outsmarted by some capable villain and killed.

A lot of them remind me of Stark characters. Thats probably not a good thing.

Quincy
Stoked.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/28/telltales-game-of-thrones-episode-1-arrives-next-week

Looks like episode 1 comes out next week.

I'll be playing this Friday night. Stoked!

EDIT: WTF? Tales from the Borderlands came out 3 days ago? Man, these guys don't give a f*ck about promotion and hype. Both of these games came out of nowhere. And apparently it's pretty great.

Quincy
I hope you can deviate from the canon events that come later. I'd love to potentially kill major show characters.

Arachnid1
lB4gAcLZTGQ

Hearing Ramsey at the end gave me chills. Knowing it's that crazy f*ck looking to wipe out your family is pure dread. I cant wait for this!

Also, I'm liking the House Forrester family portrait. It's seems strange that Ned is in it though. I know it's to illustrate the fact that they are the Starks loyal bannermen, but it seems a bit weird to include Ned.

I love how it portrays the family members different roles in the family in some way too. Asher being turned away shows that he's an outcast, Lord Forester with the signature Ned longsword pose gives him his wise/fatherly aurora, the child looking up to him, (etc...).

Arachnid1
Has anyone else played this? It was pretty great! I'm definitely looking forward to future episodes.

Ramsay was a great villain, as usual. So are the Whitehills (Bolton bannermen, who have hated the Forresters for centuries). The Forresters really are Starks 2.0.

Quincy
I did not like this. I love telltale tho and will play through the rest

KingD19
Played it, loved it. And Telltale really nailed it. You feel like nothing you do is ever good enough in true GoT fashion.

And poor Roderick Forrester, and Lord Forrester, and Ethan Forrest. Seriously they killed almost half the family in the first episode.

ares834
Originally posted by Quincy
I did not like this. I love telltale tho and will play through the rest

Wasn't a big fan either. It was too slow and so far my choices seem to have been utterly meaningless.

Quincy
I feel restricted in the sense that "oh well I'm not going to kill Ramsey because he is in the books.

And it's real depressing.

Arachnid1
Has anybody else been playing this? Episode 3 got pretty amazing.

Gared is going to desert the Nights Watch. I killed the douche who killed my family and made him suffer, so thats going to blow up in my face. I feel like Gared is the most screwed. There is no way to talk his way out of this. He murdered a brother in cold blood and is deserting the nights watch. He is dug himself into a pretty deep hole. On top of that, we're working with a Wildling. Cotter the Potato ****er turns out to be one of Mances free-folk, which was a big twist for his character. Now his complete lack of honor makes sense. It's pretty crazy that Gared and him are going to desert together.

Second most screwed position is poor Rodrick. Dude is being forced to eat shit by the Whitehills, and Gryff is basically Joffery all grown up. I don't know how Rodrick can handle this. His people are already sparse enough since his fighting army got slaughtered by The Mountain and his commoners have almost completely deserted. On top of that, he has a spy in his council? The dude is drowning. I want to say that the spy is the Maester, but that seems to obvious. I hope its not Lady Forrester. I actually told her the secret.

Mira seems to be handling things somewhat well though she's still not doing great. Cercie hates her, Margery wants to replace her/no longer trusts her, she was known to be plotting with Tyrion before he got arrested for Joff's murder, and she still has someone gunning for her enough to put a hit on her. She also seems like she's digging herself into a hole with every choice, like Gared.

This show is covering ground fast enough. The first episode was the Red Wedding. This episode was the Purple Wedding. I'm hoping the last episode edges into next season.

Hopefully it keeps up the momentum.

AuraAngel
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Ethan Forrester looks like a conniving traitorous little shit.

Hilarious in hindsight much.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Hilarious in hindsight much. Lol it really is. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

I was half right for my Ethan though. He was a little shit. Complete douche to Whitehill and a bit too opposed to Ramsay.

Jmanghan
I dunno about this one, but the action-rpg one was involved in a flash sale on the ps store for 80 cents. Thats pretty generous for a mediocre game based on a beloved tv series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.