Rank Marvel's Events

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
Newsarama has them in terms of change. How do you rank them in quality? Here is the top 10:

10. The IG
9. Fear Itself
8. Secret Invasion
7. Secret Wars
6. Schism
5. Avengers Vs X-Men
4. House of M
3. Mutant Massacre
2. Onslaught
1. Civil War

Now rank them in quality.

http://www.newsarama.com/15690-10-marvel-events-that-had-a-major-impact.html

krisblaze
How could any story have more impact than House of M? I don't understand these guys, haha.

I need to think on this a bit more, but I'm not sure I can clearly list 10 in a ranking order.

Badabing
WWH = #1! durhulk

krisblaze
Here's an incomplete list for reference.

1 - Annihilation
2 - Inferno
3 - The Infinity Gauntlet
4 - Mutant Massacre
5 - Secret Wars

The remaining 5 are in no particular order;

X-Tinction Agenda
Avengers Disassembled
Infinity War
Necrosha
Secret Wars 2

Kazenji
I've only read/follow at the time only 3 of what's on newsarama's list

Fear Itself, Secret Invasion & Avengers Vs X-Men

i do have some of the other ones such as Secret Wars, House of M & Civil War but haven't go around to reading them.

riv6672
Secret Invasion may be a sleeper for most impact, in that it makes you look back on so many stories (and other events) to see who was really who at the time.

Epicurus
Originally posted by krisblaze
How could any story have more impact than House of M? I don't understand these guys, haha.
Civil War had more impact than HoM.erm

SamZED
Originally posted by Badabing
WWH = #1! durhulk What's that? evil face

krisblaze
Originally posted by Epicurus

Depends on what kind of impact you're thinking of.

I was thinking of in-universe impact.

It took less time for Cap and Tony to be reunited/heroes appear on the streets, than it did for the mutants to start reappearing.

riv6672
Originally posted by Epicurus
Hard to find impact thats not undone within a year or two...

Branlor Swift
Annihilation flowed into multiple events and issues for change. All the way into Thanos Imperative.

Plus it was a good story.

Epicurus
Depends on what kind of impact you're thinking of.

I was thinking of in-universe impact.

It took less time for Cap and Tony to be reunited/heroes appear on the streets, than it did for the mutants to start reappearing.
Mutants started reappearing the moment Hope Summers crossed over into mainstream reality. Which was before the Superhuman Registration Act got repealed in Siege. Not to mention that Civil War featured in more comic tie-ins and crossovers than HoM did.

I am talking about the general, overall impact of each series. In-universe is debatable.

Q99
Lesse, for quality, there's Annihilation, dug Messiah CompleX and Second Coming as a start and then culmination of that big plot arc... probably just various space and X-events filling out my list. The main line ones tend not to interest me much, though I do enjoy the aftermaths.

Also, Fear Itself on the impact list? Hah. I'm hard pressed to think of anything it did that stuck even for a year or two. Temp-kill Thor *again*. And, uh, anything else?

Annihilation turned Nova into a major character, eliminated the Nova Corps, made Super-Skrull and Ronan more major characters, and basically reshaped the space end of Marvel. Granted, the space end of marvel is overall pretty minor, but still. Muuuch more impact than FI. I'd put it at... probably 6 on their list. And IG above FI, of course, bump that FI off entirely.

Heck, the following *recent* events had more impact than Fear itself: Messiah CompleX, Siege, Second Coming, Utopia, Dying Wish (the whole SpOck thing), Annihilation Conquest (made the Guardians of the Galaxy a thing).

Yea, IG should be off too. Put Messiah CompleX in it's place...

Well, Civil War divided most of the major heroes into two camps, outside of the X-men, and kept the divide for a long time. The split from New Avengers (that were effectively just 'the Avengers') to New Anti-Reg / Mighty Pro-Reg kicked the Avengers up to a whole new tier of sales and transformed them from a book into a franchise, and why nowadays there's 4 avengers books instead of 1 like there was pre-CW. It also introduced the new Thunderbolts, kicked off the Initiative, and that sort of thing.

House of M eliminated most of the minor mutants and changed the situation of the X-men a lot, but the major ones largely stayed power or rapidly got re-powered (I think Jubilee might be the most major depowered mutant). So, in terms of setting it changed a lot, but the story impact on the main characters was less changed by that single blow. It was still the same characters running a school and fending off various threats.

I'd say the series of X events that started with House of M has more change, but it's not until you get stuff like the move from Xavier's to San Fran as a result of Messiah CompleX (which killed Xavier and moved the team!), Cyclops becoming a political leader more than a team leader, etc., that things drastically shake up. That whole X-men megaplot arc really was quite solid.

riv6672
Great post Q99.
I'd missed a few of those falling dominos.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.