Odd trends in the comic-book industry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

krisblaze
So, I've been thinking about this for a while, after trying to discuss it briefly with a few friends, and some of the things they do in the industry are just so damn weird.

I can't think of any other industry where they'll announce a character's death or change months in advance of the event actually taking place.

Another thing that's started annoying me is the tendency to jump from book to book. I realized that they do this to create a sense of a vast universe and whatever, and I didn't really mind as much when I was younger, but it really started getting to me when I was trying to read the Constantine as well as Action Comics, and I just couldn't get to read the finish of any one storyline because they all branched into other comics...

Can you think of other peculiar things?

Q99
One of the very odd things? Each universe shares vastly different genres.

One book can be one type of protagonist dealing with one type of thing with one set of genre conventions, and then in the next book over, the type of protagonist is vastly different, the obstacles and threats they face are completely unrelated, and even genre assumptions are different.

Comics are not the only shared universes out there, but nothing really genre hops like they do.

Think of movie trailers that spoil the movie.

Mindship
Originally posted by krisblaze
Another thing that's started annoying me is the tendency to jump from book to book. I realized that they do this to create a sense of a vast universe and whatever, and I didn't really mind as much when I was younger, but it really started getting to me when I was trying to read the Constantine as well as Action Comics, and I just couldn't get to read the finish of any one storyline because they all branched into other comics... Is this similar to what they did with the DCNU? Telling the same tale across various titles? I hate that. It's why I stopped buying the DCNU titles.

For the longest time, I've also disliked feat one-upmanship, leading to some (imo) very absurd feats, such as "smashing the barrier between realities"...with fists yet, and saving the whole goddamn multiverse (remember when saving just the universe was somethin'). Eh, watcha gonna do when one-shot planetbusting, basking in stellar cores, and surviving black holes no longer sets hearts aflutter.

krisblaze
^Yes, this is basically why I don't buy DCNU titles.

And yeah the 'power creep' is getting ridiculous when it comes to scope and such...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.