Outlast 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/24/outlast-2-is-in-development-dev-confirms

I loved the first one, and loved its DLC even more. Consider me very interested!

Smasandian
I really enjoyed the first one (haven't played the DLC) but I'm unsure what they can do to further the series.

I was reading in the comments that the developers should give you ways to delay your pursuer. Kind of like the flamethrower from Alien Isolations and it's gadgets.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
I really enjoyed the first one (haven't played the DLC) but I'm unsure what they can do to further the series.

I was reading in the comments that the developers should give you ways to delay your pursuer. Kind of like the flamethrower from Alien Isolations and it's gadgets. That sounds like a good idea to me. I think they should make every enemy as fast as you or faster too. Outrunning people was always too easy. Making them more mobile, while giving you ways to delay them sounds a lot more tense.

And you should really play the DLC if you get the chance. It outdid the main game in every way.

Smasandian
Yeah, I heard that. I'm waiting for a sale. I'm not in a big hurry to do so.

Arachnid1
YhiP5FBcCXc

Arachnid1
http://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/BD16_Outlast2.jpg

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/23/outlast-2-5-minutes-of-gorgeous-terrifying-gameplay

I'm getting some serious Hills Have Eyes vibes.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/22/surviving-in-outlast-2s-horrifying-cornfield

That corn field action looks stressful as hell. I'm looking forward to being lost there

Nemesis X
The first game was good enough for me to buy the Whistleblower DLC and even that aced in spades so I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel because I hate my heart.

Arachnid1
The demo is out guys

Smasandian
Hmmm...I'm surprised there is a demo.

I wonder if the devs took any cues from Alien: Isolation.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
Hmmm...I'm surprised there is a demo.

I wonder if the devs took any cues from Alien: Isolation. After playing the demo, I don't think they did. It seems like more outlast to me. The newest edition they added is the sound indicator on the camera, which didn't add much.

Outlast is great, but it's nowhere near Alien: Isolation's level, and neither is the second from what I played in the demo.

Kazenji
The game has been refused classification in Australia

won't stop putting from getting their hands on it.

Arachnid1
Fcking hell this game is scary

Nemesis X
It bothers me a tad there is zero connection between the first Outlast and it's sequel here. From beginning to end, nothing. Not even a reference unless you count the religious tones both games have but that's about it.

I was expecting a twist like the settlement was founded by a relative of Father Martin, residents of said settlement are asylum inmates from the previous game that escaped, Walrider is secluded and worshipped like it's a god, or everything happening in the game is an open field experiment conducted by the Murkoff Corporation. But nothing like that happens. You're just a guy constantly getting chased by a cult, having a mental breakdown over it while remembering his traumatic childhood. It's like if Silent Hill was the canon sequel to Resident Evil. It makes no sense.

dika123
the ending is just F ucked

Nemesis X
f4Wn2bu8BeA

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
It bothers me a tad there is zero connection between the first Outlast and it's sequel here. From beginning to end, nothing. Not even a reference unless you count the religious tones both games have but that's about it.

I was expecting a twist like the settlement was founded by a relative of Father Martin, residents of said settlement are asylum inmates from the previous game that escaped, Walrider is secluded and worshipped like it's a god, or everything happening in the game is an open field experiment conducted by the Murkoff Corporation. But nothing like that happens. You're just a guy constantly getting chased by a cult, having a mental breakdown over it while remembering his traumatic childhood. It's like if Silent Hill was the canon sequel to Resident Evil. It makes no sense. But everything was an experiment by Murkoff. The Outlast bridging comic exlained that Temple Gate was their big experiment following the events of the asylum experiment to try something larger scale. They used the radio towers to send signals (those huge flashes of light that disoriented everyone) that made everyone in the town crazy. It's why the main character was hallucinating throughout the entire thing.

https://i.redd.it/cxiuxfmoq0uy.jpg

Also, not a fan of the ending now that I'm done. We didn't get good payoff on all the characters like Outlast 2 delivered on all it's psychos. No one was as good as Trager or the Groom. This game was scarier than the first game, and improved on just about every aspect besides the characters.

Arachnid1
Just to clarify, it's not the actual ending I had a problem with. That was cool, beautiful, and kind of fked up. It's the lack of involvement in the ending for the actual characters. Father Knoth had no pay off to justify the focus the story had on him, and we had no ending for Val. She just disappeared. Marta was the only one who had an ending, and it wasn't as satisfying as Wallrider wrecking the hell out of Chris in the first game.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Arachnid1
But everything was an experiment by Murkoff. The Outlast bridging comic exlained that Temple Gate was their big experiment following the events of the asylum experiment to try something larger scale. They used the radio towers to send signals (those huge flashes of light that disoriented everyone) that made everyone in the town crazy. It's why the main character was hallucinating throughout the entire thing.

https://i.redd.it/cxiuxfmoq0uy.jpg

Now ya see neither I nor many people know there's a comic and that explanation would've been better off in the game itself than confuse and irritate everybody wondering what's happening especially with that ending that feels like "buy our DLC to know what's up".

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Now ya see neither I nor many people know there's a comic and that explanation would've been better off in the game itself than confuse and irritate everybody wondering what's happening especially with that ending that feels like "buy our DLC to know what's up". Yeah they really should have explained that in game. I'm not sure if the document mentioning the radio towers explained that they belonged to Murkoff. I do know there were multiple Murkoff references in the game, but I cant recall so I'll check it and get back to you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Joe didn't understand the ending which is why he hated it. He thought it was a huge cliff hanger which is why he complained, but that was just another electrical storm which happens in that area according to a document. The baby and all that end of the world stuff was a hallucination by the main character, which is why his wife said "There's nothing there." after the birth. She wasn't as crazy as him since she spent most of the game under ground in the mines where the signals from the towers couldn't reach her. It's also why Father Knoth framed it as a question at the end when you woke up. He couldn't see the baby but assumed it was there and killed himself after the rest of the towns mass suicide (which is why all those bottles of bleach were around at the end). The sun blinding the main character at the end was that radio tower giving off another pulse, which is why he hallucinated praying with Jessica when they were kids again. In reality, he was just wandering through the woods alone and insane at the end. They pulled another Outlast 1 where it came off as supernatural but was just a scientific experiment like Wallrider.

The only thing I still don't get and have an explanation for was Lynns stomach. How did she get bloated like that? Everyone couldn't have been having the same hallucination could they? They did all seem pretty focused on her birthing the antichrist, so maybe they did, but that seems strange and kind of reaching.

Arachnid1
I just googled it. The Murkoff connection was explained in game, though through documents. The comic isn't necessary to get it, though it's vague in game and through little details.

http://www.powerpyx.com/outlast-2-story-ending-explained/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.