Maul's ultimate bargaining chip?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Skybreaker
Why not blackmail his former master by threatening to tell the Jedi that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? (The Plagueis novel makes it clear that he knows.)

This is before he was captured, of course.

Nephthys
Maul's stupid.

He also loathes the Jedi and probably doesn't actually want to help them.

ILS
Originally posted by Nephthys
Maul's stupid. H8r

FreshestSlice
Why would they believe Maul? Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to sense who Palpatine is.

Skybreaker
They may not believe Maul (although he would possibly have some sort of evidence from his years of servitude), but their suspicions would be raised, and it would be virtually impossible for Palpatine to pull anything. Remember that they did not initially believe Dooku's claims about Sidious either. Especially given that Maul apparently knew of the clone wars and the whole master plan sans Anakin.

Darth Abonis
He was too proud to take Palpatine down like that. He wanted to prove himself (true he did cry to mommy), but he didn't want to cry to the Jedi.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Skybreaker
They may not believe Maul (although he would possibly have some sort of evidence from his years of servitude), but their suspicions would be raised You mean like how they were raised when Dooku did this?

A hallmark of the Prequel Trilogy Jedi are that they're idiots.

Also it's worth noting that prior to the close of the Clone Wars, Palpatine was considered a paragon to the Republic and Order itself. All of the Jedi admired and looked up to him. So, some chump that they have absolutely zero reason to ever believe or take seriously telling that Palpatine was a Sith Lord would go over about as well as him telling them that Yoda was a Sith Lord.

Skybreaker
Originally posted by Tzeentch
You mean like how they were raised when Dooku did this?

They were raised when Dooku claimed that the Senate was being controlled by Darth Sidious. The Jedi bought this and operated under the assumption that Darth Sidious was somebody in Palpatine's inner circle. In the RotS novelization, they go as far as to send Yoda away to Kashyyyk for the purpose of luring out the Dark Lord of the Sith.

laughing Dude, did you even bother to watch RotS? The Jedi Council was discussing plans to remove Palpatine from office; in what ridiculous universe did they "admire and look up to him"?

Nephthys
Yeah, and they believed Anakin at face value.

They already know Sidious is in the senate and high up in the senate. IIRC the only reason they didn't suspect Sheev more was that he basically already controlled everything. So Maul's accusation is likely to hold some serious water.

FreshestSlice
Notice the phrase, "prior to the close of the Clone Wars." RotS is the close of the Clone Wars. Try harder.

Skybreaker
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Notice the phrase, "prior to the close of the Clone Wars." RotS is the close of the Clone Wars. Try harder.

Yeah, let's pretend that the Jedi's distrust of Palpatine came suddenly at RotS, a sudden turn from adulation, as though the cause of their dissention (Palpatine's growing dictatorial power) popped up overnight, rather than clearly having originated from before even the start of AotC, where Palpatine had already been extending his term far beyond the limits of the constitution. And this is ignoring the fact that such distrust is explicitly mentioned in various pre-RotS sources. I thought that this would be pretty f*cking obvious, so I didn't feel the need to mull over the semantics of the question. Apparently not.

DarthAnt66
Disappointed to see you are not banned yet. When I wake up tomorrow I'm going to run down the stairs like a little boy on Christmas and see if good ol' Badabing left me a present.

Skybreaker
Yeah, DarthAnt, what happened to your religious self righteousness? Has the internet ever been graced by a more contemptible hypocrite?

Nephthys
I like how Ant says "like a little boy" as if he's implying he isn't already one. Lol.

ILS
I like how Ant says "like a little boy" as if he's implying he isn't already one. Lol. Hoohoohoo lemme go get my fire extinguisher!

Skybreaker
Originally posted by Liberal P
Yeah, me too. This guy reminds me of cancer.

DarthAnt, you really need to be a little more subtle here.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Skybreaker
Yeah, let's pretend that the Jedi's distrust of Palpatine came suddenly at RotS, a sudden turn from adulation, as though the cause of their dissention (Palpatine's growing dictatorial power) popped up overnight, rather than clearly having originated from before even the start of AotC, where Palpatine had already been extending his term far beyond the limits of the constitution. And this is ignoring the fact that such distrust is explicitly mentioned in various pre-RotS sources. I thought that this would be pretty f*cking obvious, so I didn't feel the need to mull over the semantics of the question. Apparently not.
You---------------------------------------------------------------------------------point

The people of the Republic still loved Palpatine and the Jedi still respected him. Finally, all of this is irrelevant, since Yoda already knew who Sidious was, and who Vader would be.

Skybreaker
laughing I'll take that as a concession.

ares834
Finally, all of this is irrelevant, since Yoda already knew who Sidious was, and who Vader would be.

Nah, he didn't.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
Nah, he didn't.
You think Yoda wouldn't know who Sidious is when he dreams of Anakin killing a bunch of younglings?

DarthAnt66
I like how Ant says "like a little boy" as if he's implying he isn't already one. Lol.
Ah, I feel this quote is far more entertaining for me then it is for the rest.

Me wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:02 AM:
So you blow Neme, or was that a joke?

Nephthys wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:04 AM:
I'm not even on the same continent as Neme, how could I possibly blow him?

Me wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:06 AM:
The same way I do to you.

Nephthys wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:08 AM:
Impossible. He doesn't think with portals like we do.

https://www.athletenetwork.com/news_image/article_gifs/the_too_adorable.gif

Skybreaker
That has to be the funniest non sequitur I've ever read.

EDIT: this before whatever the f*ck is above me.

ares834
You think Yoda wouldn't know who Sidious is when he dreams of Anakin killing a bunch of younglings?

How would that reveal Sidious's identity? And when did he dream about this?

Nephthys
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Ah, I feel this quote is far more entertaining for me then it is for the rest.

Me wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:02 AM:
So you blow Neme, or was that a joke?

Nephthys wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:04 AM:
I'm not even on the same continent as Neme, how could I possibly blow him?

Me wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:06 AM:
The same way I do to you.

Nephthys wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 02:08 AM:
Impossible. He doesn't think with portals like we do.

https://www.athletenetwork.com/news_image/article_gifs/the_too_adorable.gif

That was before I knew you were 12, you deceitful hussy.

DarthAnt66
That was before I knew you were 12, you deceitful hussy.
http://i.imgur.com/0rbtC.gif

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
How would that reveal Sidious's identity? And when did he dream about this?
The only one Anakin interacts with outside the Council and Padme really is Palpatine. And didn't Yoda have a vision at the end of TCW?

ares834
The only one Anakin interacts with outside the Council and Padme really is Palpatine. And didn't Yoda have a vision at the end of TCW?

It didn't reveal Palpatine as Sidious nor Anakin as his new apprentice.

FreshestSlice
Dunno how many different ways you can read, "Let him die and you can stop all I will do," followed by a vision of Sidious blitzing and decimating the Jedi.

ares834
What are you talking?

Anyway, Yoda clearly didn't know Sidious's identity considering how he was trying to un-hood him in their battle during the illusion.

FreshestSlice
That's true, I just don't see why Sidious would lie when it's clearly not the real Anakin. Of course I'm normally more suspicious of most people.

NewGuy01
This is expanded upon in Sith Hunters. Maul just hates the Jedi's guts.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NewGuy01
This is expanded upon in Sith Hunters. Maul just hates the Jedi's guts.

thumb up

Up until SOD apart from building his own 3rd force in the Galaxy, he was solely only concerned about revenge on Obi-Wan.

Plus he seemed to be keeping his options open at that point about possibly rejoining Sidous. He was building his army to Impress Sidious(in the off chance he could rejoin him) or Challenge him.

It's only by SOD that his hatred and need for Revenge switched completely towards Sidious.

NewGuy01
SoD retcons that, though. He was working for Talzin the whole time.

Selenial
Because Mauls entire mantra was a total physical victory, it's why he rarely used the force.

Also yes, the Jedi knew that Palpatine was surrounded by Darkness, they just thought he was being controlled by the Sith. They never thought he could conceal his power to that extent.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
http://i.imgur.com/0rbtC.gif

I forgot how sexy Rose McGowan used to be.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NewGuy01
SoD retcons that, though. He was working for Talzin the whole time.

Supposedly. But there were never any scenes of him and Opress talking to Talzin.

So I think he may have turned back to Talzin after he got screwed by Sidious. Before then he was probably confused on his ultimate loyalties and keeping his options open.

After all we see the regret he had in "Revenge" about the Clone Wars happening without him, and who he should have become. And you could hear his jealousy of Count Dooku being Sidious' s new apprentice.

We also see him taking Opress as his "Sith" apprentice, and calling themselves the "True Lords of the Sith." But in SOD he clearly wanted no more association with "Sith" and wanted association with his birthright instead.

But either way throughout TCW he was killing Jedi and looking for Revenge against Kenobi. So yeah probably didn't want to do the Jedi any favours.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.