10 Best Villain (Canon)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Marco1907
http://www.starwars.com/video/the-starwars-com-10-best-villains

Hlnec4Ka1Ds

starwars . com's list ;

10 - Pong Krell
9 - Nute Gunray
8 - Asajj Ventress
7 - General Grievous
6 - Count Dooku
5 - Jabba the Hutt
4 - Darth Maul
3 - Grand Moff Tarkin
2 - Darth Vader
1 - Emperor Palpatine

I think Boba and Jango would be more suitable than Pong Krell and Nute Gunray.

My List ;

10 - Jango Fett
9 - Boba Fett
8 - Asajj Ventress
7 - General Grievous
6 - Jabba the Hutt
5 - Grand Moff Tarkin
4 - Count Dooku
3 - Darth Maul
2 - Darth Vader
1 - Emperor Palpatine

Jmanghan
Joker or Bane.

Marco1907
starwars.com
4-) Darth Maul
Darth Maul has an agility never before seen in Star Wars. This Zabrak was so strong with the dark side, he survived being cut in two.

DARTH POWER
Darth Vader should be at the top. He is by far the most famous and iconic SW Villain. And just one of the most iconic Movie villains of all time.

Marco1907
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Darth Vader should be at the top. He is by far the most famous and iconic SW Villain. And just one of the most iconic Movie villains of all time.

I don't think Vader would be evil without the Emperor though. He is responsible from Vader, so he deserves to be at the top imho.

The_Tempest
Darth Vader should be at the top.

Nah. I don't question Vader's supremacy as a pop cultural icon, but as a villain he is certainly trumped by the Emperor.

I question certain aspects of the list, but their top 3 is solid.

Nephthys
I'd put Maul above Tarkin, ignoring his CW persona.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'd put Maul above Tarkin, ignoring his CW persona.

Hey? He was Awesome in TCW. Sam Witwer did such a good job with his voice, I just loved it every time he spoke.

In TPM he had a cool presence but was not given any personality at all.

Nephthys
His personality was that he was pure ****ing evil and he wanted to kill Jedi, it was great.

ILS
The fact that anyone could prefer the shit-talking piece of annoying retcon that was this:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11111/111114474/4218586-terrible+fight6+-+edited.jpg Makes me feel ill. The original Darth Maul will always be better than the new one by miles.

Trocity
That's Marco's favorite character you are bashing, ser.

DARTH POWER
His personality was that he was pure ****ing evil and he wanted to kill Jedi, it was great.

Well it's funny, because before TCW the general complaint was that Maul was hardly in TPM and didn't say anything.

Once he was being revived he obviously had to speak. And I for one Love the personality (especially the way Witwer voices it) they've given Maul.

Originally posted by ILS
The fact that anyone could prefer the shit-talking piece of annoying retcon that was this:

Haters will hate I guess.

And it was hardly a retcon. It was more fleshing out a character.

ares834
Originally posted by ILS
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11111/111114474/4218586-terrible+fight6+-+edited.jpg Makes me feel ill. The original Darth Maul will always be better than the new one by miles.

thumb up

He may not have had much personality in TPM, but him being almost entirely silent was far more intimidating and cool than the generic Sith they turned him into.

ILS
He actually has a fair bit of personality in his TPM novels, he just keeps it to himself. You can't expect anyone to think he has much of a personality if they base him entirely off the film. But his portrayal in the film was still leaps and bounds better than the version who came out that cave on Lotho Minor.

FreshestSlice
Sam Witwer did such a good job with his voice, I just loved it every time he spoke.

Have you ever seen Sam Witwer not do a good job?

Nephthys
Smallville.

DARTH POWER
It's funny, because I don't remember any of you guys going on about how cool Maul was before TCW.

ILS you're right about one thing. He always had a personality, just kept to himself while he was under Sidious. But you've lost me where you think the version of him portrayed in the novels was far superior to TCW version. They were both good in their own ways. But TCW version was just really enjoyable to watch in action (and I don't mean Sword fighting action).

ILS
TCW Maul was annoying, generic, supported by a feeble attempt at a plot, had a poor supporting cast, and basically goes against everything TPM Maul was built up to be.

FreshestSlice
Smallville.
Lies. That entire show was the problem.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ILS
TCW Maul was annoying, generic, supported by a feeble attempt at a plot, had a poor supporting cast, and basically goes against everything TPM Maul was built up to be.

Not at all. It was the Legend Eu's naivety to think Maul was just supposed to be a mere assassin(well from some of the writers anyway). In TCW however you can clearly see Sidious was this guys teacher all over.

ILS
It isn't the scope of what a character does that makes them great. TCW Maul could overthrow Sidious and destroy the Jedi for all I care and he'd still be a shitty character. His personality just became so stupidly over the top and Sith-generic.

ares834
It's funny, because I don't remember any of you guys going on about how cool Maul was before TCW.

Sure, but that's because I didn't think he was that great in TPM (certainly not in comparison to Vader). But his portrayal in TPM was far more intresting than in TCW.

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by ILS
It isn't the scope of what a character does that makes them great. TCW Maul could overthrow Sidious and destroy the Jedi for all I care and he'd still be a shitty character. His personality just became so stupidly over the top and Sith-generic.

This, the characteristic I liked about Maul before TCW is that he was a loyal Sith who didn't seem to have the general Sith greed for ruling.

The Merchant
Maul from TCW just seems different from the Maul of TPM IMO.

ILS
Resurrecting such a... mature, violent kind of character for a kids animation was never going to end well. I want Maul to grow wiser, start talking less again, keep his overconfidence to himself, and have another novel set post-ROTS written by Joe Schreiber. That has nothing to do with the Rebels, or even any of the main characters. Let it be a solo book with a whole new supporting cast. That would cause a massive fangasm.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by GenomeFrozener
This, the characteristic I liked about Maul before TCW is that he was a loyal Sith who didn't seem to have the general Sith greed for ruling.

Yeah but how could he remain loyal in TCW when he'd been replaced?

He was Loyal in TPM, but was clearly enthusiastic about Sidious's Sith ambitions. Something he was clearly upset about never having been a part of when he was revived.

He then had to create his own ambitions to have a purpose again.

Marco1907

thumb up Maul became more interesting with TCW revival, even some ignorant people who think TPM Kenobi could match (or even capable of beating Maul) are dissappeared thanks to TCW. They were lowballing Maul, with ignoring the whole context of the story, which is Maul needed to lose somehow and Sidious needed search for another apprentice for the sake of the plot. (Which is Darth Vader)

Not at all. It was the Legend Eu's naivety to think Maul was just supposed to be a mere assassin(well from some of the writers anyway). In TCW however you can clearly see Sidious was this guys teacher all over.

thumb up

Unfortunetely some EU writers are incompetent and they think Sidious would never make any mistake, (despite the fact he did another great mistake about his trust on Vader in RotJ) and for showing Sidious like some god, they tried to show that Maul's death has been necessary just like Dooku's death in RotS, I mean you need to be a retard for training an apprentice over 10 years so he can die in TPM just that easy. Lucas himself already explained that Sidious shouldn't have lost his apprentice in the first place, but still some people were decisive on being ignorant, so because of these kind of people, they have to resurrect Darth Maul for showing that his true capabilities as a Sith Lord.

Trocity
lmfao

ILS
Originally posted by Trocity
lmfao IKR? They're basically saying they prefer TCW Maul because he's more powerful than TPM Maul. If these are the SW fans writers will now pander to then I can't see Maul's character progression getting any better....

Trocity
Originally posted by ILS
IKR? They're basically saying they prefer TCW Maul because he's more powerful than TPM Maul. If these are the SW fans writers will now pander to then I can't see Maul's character progression getting any better....

Exactly, if you like a character primarily because of their strength, that's kinda silly. Maul could have been awesome if they handled his return right, he was a major letdown.

EDIT - This is the only reason Marco really gets on my nerves, tbh. He's desperate to "prove" that Maul was greater than he actually is.

Dionysus
I'm glad Krell got a spot on the list.

Marco1907
@trocity you are already on my ignore list troll, why are you so desperate to arguing with me ? I am just talking with DP here, yet you are coming with your classic troll behaviour and pretend like a SW authority who knows everything.

Now, TPM Maul was unfortunetely, people like you (and ILS), misunderstood. Because ''Just a mere assassin'' cliche...

I don't even know wtf are you talking about here, TCW was great (and necessary) for Maul's character. He proved lots of things. Even some Eu writers considered Maul as just an ''assassin'' which was completely wrong and stupid, now all this craps become non-canon, and now we have a very capable ''Lord'' Maul, you need to accept the canon. Maul was nothing like Savage or Asajj Ventress, he was a ''Sith Lord'' ...it seems people like you don't even know what it means.

ILS
Maul as "just a mere assassin" is a much more enjoyable character than whatever came out of Lotho Minor. I'd go as far as to say I liked Savage more than TCW Maul.

Marco1907
This is what I like ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLi51H5tVE0

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqW_1A2Vwcg

Trocity
lol Marco

Emperordmb
I gotta say, I actually enjoyed Maul in TCW.

Aside from the Mortis Story arcs and Bane's appearance, Maul's story arcs were easily the episodes I was the most hyped for.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ILS
Maul as "just a mere assassin" is a much more enjoyable character than whatever came out of Lotho Minor. I'd go as far as to say I liked Savage more than TCW Maul.

Then go watch/read the Asajj Ventress stories. That's you're powerful dark side assassin turned Bounty Hunter for you.

No need to rid Maul of his true and clear purpose from day 1.

ILS
What, I can't enjoy Asajj Ventress and pretend TCW Maul doesn't exist at the same time?

Maul's "true and clear purpose" wasn't to be a shitty character from day 1, actually. That was only implemented when Filoni and his band of shitty writers decided to milk Maul for all he's worth by resurrecting him.

Dionysus
Asajj is fantastic in TCW. Anyone who denies that are terrible people who deserve to be fed anti-freeze and buried in cement.

ILS
Yeah, she's pretty good in any source tbh.. although maybe not OCW, but then not every character was.

Dionysus
Originally posted by ILS
Yeah, she's pretty good in any source tbh.. although maybe not OCW, but then not every character was. thumb up

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ILS
What, I can't enjoy Asajj Ventress and pretend TCW Maul doesn't exist at the same time?

Maul's "true and clear purpose" wasn't to be a shitty character from day 1, actually. That was only implemented when Filoni and his band of shitty writers decided to milk Maul for all he's worth by resurrecting him.

You just don't get it do you?

Or are you just purposefully being blind?

Filoni and crewe only implemented Lucas's exact vision of who and what Maul was in TPM.

Vetress is the Dark Sode assassin. Maul was a real Sith. And was always intended as such. Deal with it.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Marco1907
This is what I like ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLi51H5tVE0

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqW_1A2Vwcg

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I gotta say, I actually enjoyed Maul in TCW.

Aside from the Mortis Story arcs and Bane's appearance, Maul's story arcs were easily the episodes I was the most hyped for.

thumb up

ILS
Lucas' vision obviously changed, then. Otherwise I see no sense in having sourcebooks and novels for something close to a decade tell us about how Maul was a disposable tool who was never meant to surpass Palpatine or command armies. You can say this is all Legends Canon, but then there was nothing other than the films to go by during this time period so there'd be nothing to indicate "Lucas' vision" there either.

So I wasn't really wrong in saying that it was TCW which implemented the shitty characterization/master army manipulator Maul. It hasn't "always" been like that, unless you want to dip into your deep pool of knowledge on Maul during the years prior to TCW which portrays him as more than an assassin?

Marco1907
You just don't get it do you?

Or are you just purposefully being blind?

Filoni and crewe only implemented Lucas's exact vision of who and what Maul was in TPM.

Vetress is the Dark Sode assassin. Maul was a real Sith. And was always intended as such. Deal with it.

Exactly. Filoni didn't do anything by himself, the order of Maul's resurrection belong to George Lucas. And that's why same Lucas said, ''Sidious shouldn't have gotten himself in a position of getting his apprentice (Darth Maul) killed.''

For example, Season 5 Episode 16, Lucas has been a great influence on that episode.

http://www.starwars.com/video/wrath-of-the-sith

''George Lucas really wanted to kill off a lot of characters that weren't in the movies''

And yeah, unfortunately some EU writers were too incompetent to see Darth Maul's real importance.

No wonder they killed off the entire old EU. Old EU has good works no wonder, but they have wrong ideas about George Lucas's vision, which is the fault of Lucas as well though. He let them, then he ignored them.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ILS
Lucas' vision obviously changed, then. Otherwise I see no sense in having sourcebooks and novels for something close to a decade tell us about how Maul was a disposable tool who was never meant to surpass Palpatine or command armies. You can say this is all Legends Canon, but then there was nothing other than the films to go by during this time period so there'd be nothing to indicate "Lucas' vision" there either.

So I wasn't really wrong in saying that it was TCW which implemented the shitty characterization/master army manipulator Maul. It hasn't "always" been like that, unless you want to dip into your deep pool of knowledge on Maul during the years prior to TCW which portrays him as more than an assassin?

No Lucas's Vision hasn't changed. TPM introduced the Rule of Two in the first place, and made it perfectly clear it referred to Sidious and Maul.

Any Sourcebooks which contradicted that simply had it wrong and had no confirmation from Lucas on what they were writing.

The only shitty characterization is any Eu sources claiming Sidious spent 10 years of his life focused on training a mere assassin.

ILS
That's nice, but what does it have to do with Maul leading armies or doing anything other than being an assassin? Any proof that film-Maul had Dooku's political acumen necessary to furthering the Grand Plan?

They didn't really have anything to contradict. It's just your fantasy that TCW Maul has existed since '99, nobody elses. Like I said, Lucas didn't contribute anything to Maul's character during the decade between TPM and TCW, and during that time period there were plenty of novels and sourcebooks which filled in the gaps for us as to where Maul stood as a Sith. Which was that he was an assassin and wasn't intended for much past that. Obviously TCW changes this because they need to turn Maul into a shitty generic Sith to make money out of him - but what I'm asking you to do is back up your claim that TCW Maul was always the intention, like you said it was.

Oh please. You and Marco are just dick riding Maul now because he's suddenly powerful and a part of Lucas' precious vision. Just because you don't have the capacity to enjoy a character who isn't generic, easy to be entertained by, and isn't uber-powerful, doesn't make EU Maul a shitty character. In fact, his role in the Sith plan actually has little to do with how his personality and motivations were portrayed, so really your whole distaste for EU-TPM Maul is based on some "my character can beat your character" nonsense, opposed to taking the time to actually understand them. How laughable.

Marco1907
Lol.

Now ILS knows our minds, he is a kind of mind reader...

No, I don't like the idea of being ''just a mere assassin'' for Maul from the beginning, because that only came from shitty EU writers not from Lucas's movie, and they don't have the right to determine Maul's part in whole series, that is why I like TCW more, not because he become more powerful.

Nevertheless, we are right because canon Maul is just like we wanted. While your shitty EU writers become Legends, just like the idea of being a stupid mere assassin.

''Lord Maul'' is better.

Revanchiste
To me thrawn still canon.. So put him immediatly in the top 3 !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.