Prometheus/ Alien's Saga

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Do we all agree here that Aliens and Prometheus are sequels and prequels. Kinda like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings prequel and sequels?

jinXed by JaNx
more or less, yea...,spiritual prequel. I think that was the entire understanding going into the movie. Otherwise, it would have slipped into an instant dvd release. However, lets not get started on how, Scott planned on releasing two different versions of the movie, PG-13 and R...,FAIL. I actually liked Prometheus, but his business ethic caused me to lose a lot of respect for him.

Time Immemorial
Someone said the other day that, I think it was Kaz, that Alien/Prometheus basically have nothing to do with each other. I though this was kind of mornic as Prometheus is the prequel to aliens.

ares834
No. They may be set in the same universe, but as of now, the story connections between the two are incredibly loose.

Patient_Leech
First of all, the term saga should just be reserved for bullshit like Twilight. lol

I think Prometheus as a prequel is a little different from most other standard prequels because Ridley was using it as a means to explore the "Space Jockey" or as we now know them, the Engineers. And in so doing he has used the opportunity to really expand the mythology into a little bit of a different direction. So it may exist in the same universe as the Alien movies do, but it sort of runs parallel and not directly with it. That being said, i remember reading interviews where Ridley said that Prometheus 2 would stray even further from Alien (he has now mentioned there will be no xenomorphs in P2, but some new species of extraterrestrial) and P3 would bring the series back around to Alien.

Esau Cairn
I think Ridley's "bowing" down to the fact that James Cameron made the iconic Aliens' direction that the public wants to see. Gung-ho mercs not intrepid scientists.
No mention of xenos in P2 def shows he wants to stray away from the Alien franchise whilst the promise of bringing them back in P3 really depends on the success of P3. Grand story lines have also fallen short to box office profits in the past.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by ares834
No. They may be set in the same universe, but as of now, the story connections between the two are incredibly loose.

LOL WAT??!!!

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Watch the damn films bro!

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
LOL WAT??!!!

The Kaz Virus is spreading... sick

ares834
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
LOL WAT??!!!

Sorry but a "Xenomorph" popping up in the final few seconds of the film doesn't make it a prequel to Alien anymore than Thor is a sequel to Iron Man 2.

Hell, even Ridley Scott said it's not a prequel.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by ares834

Hell, even Ridley Scott said it's not a prequel.

Point is, Scott re-wrote the script several times.
So which version of the script did he get interviewed saying it's not a prequel?

ares834
Presumably the final script since he said it days before release...

Anyway, the director could be wrong about such things so I wouldn't say that is definitive. But, since the movie doesn't deal with Alien's story beats nor even it's characters it's quite clearly not a prequel. Certainly not in the same vein as PT or the Hobbit films.

Esau Cairn
Juz saying, there's obvious confusion caused when you see carvings of the Alien Queen & Xenos in the chamber room wall...then Scott stating the movie's got nothing to do with them.

Could've easily changed the murals in post-production rather than leaving them in.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Juz saying, there's obvious confusion caused when you see carvings of the Alien Queen & Xenos in the chamber room wall...then Scott stating the movie's got nothing to do with them.

Could've easily changed the murals in post-production rather than leaving them in.

Agreed, then the alien at the end of the movie.

I find this interesting that now he is trying to get away from the Aliens.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/20/director-ridley-scott-talks-prometheus-2-touts-a-fresh-monster

Esau Cairn
Kinda juz gives me the impression that Scott may not have total control over this project that he thought he may once have had...
I'm also guessing there may be an Alien re-boot in the works so Scott has been told to steer away from them altogether...thus a new "alien".

Reflassshh
Meh the idea was good, expanding the Alien's universe without the xenos being the main focus of the film(s), this was just a bad approach with many plot holes.

You've seen better days Scott erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.