Guillermo del Toro’s Justice League Dark/Dark Universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/11/25/exclusive-justice-league-dark-script-in-studio-hands-today/

Who would you cast in this movie? Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, etc... This project, IF WB green lights it, has huge potential. Make it happen, WB!

Kazenji
Since Guillermo Del Toro is involved with it Ron Perlman has to be in it, I'd pick him for Swamp Thing.

pym-ftw
Kinda doubt this movie will be green lit based on the lack of support the television version of Constantine has gotten.

In an effort to be less negative though, I think Ron Pearlman could make a fun Dr. Fate.

Golgo13
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Kinda doubt this movie will be green lit based on the lack of support the television version of Constantine has gotten.

In an effort to be less negative though, I think Ron Pearlman could make a fun Dr. Fate.

Depending on the marketing, movies will target a larger audience. Plus, it's Del Toro. If anyone can do this type of film justice, it's him. This movie will feature more than just Constantine, anyway.

pym-ftw
Still the released Flash & Constantine and flash pulls in way bigger numbers.

Not to mention Del Toro has directed 2 other horror hero movies and they didn't make money. Del Toro matches my Edgar Wright argument that just because a director has cult status doesn't guarentee a hit movie.

BruceSkywalker
keep down the budget and cast F actors/actresses big grin laughing embarrasment

pym-ftw
Del toro is notorious for demanding large budgets.

Inhuman
just because a director has cult status doesn't guarentee a hit movie.

reminds me of "Nolan-ites"

pym-ftw
Tbf Nolan has hit movies on his resume.

Golgo13
It's not like Guillermo del Toro doesn't have any hits. Pan's Labyrinth was a small hit and made a lot more than it's budget. He's been getting sequels to his movies (Hell Boy 2 and they supposedly are working on a Hellboy 3). Plus Pacific Rim is getting a sequel as well and that had a high budget.

If I'm going by my gut, I say WB green lights Dark Universe, since they are vastly growing their DC properties to the big screen. That is Kevin T's. main goal at WB.

BruceSkywalker
Del toro is notorious for demanding large budgets.

i know and that is what worries me, Justice League Dark doesn;t have to cost a ton of money

Kazenji
Well he does tend to go more for the practical effects Hellboy 1 & 2 , Pan's Labyrinth for examples.

Golgo13
Good comicvine article on why it's the right time for a JLD movie.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/why-it-s-the-right-time-for-a-justice-league-dark-/1100-150522/

pym-ftw

No offense Golgo but that article was dumb, it's basically blaming Nbc for the failures of a character who has 2 strikes now.

Golgo13
Well, it makes some good points. This is the age of super hero movies and IF done right, something like Justice League Dark could pay off big. There are a lot of Fantasy fans out there and combing elements from both that and super hero could mean a win.

Guillermo is the right director for the job.

pym-ftw
He failed twice with hellboy and Pacific Rim would have failed if China & Japan didn't make it a hit. WB needs to make a good non big 2 movie before I'll give this any chance.

Golgo13
He failed twice with hellboy and Pacific Rim would have failed if China & Japan didn't make it a hit. WB needs to make a good non big 2 movie before I'll give this any chance.

That's the beauty of OS market. And both Pacific Rim and Hellboy were GOOD movies. That's all I really care about, TBH. Box office is second, but ideally it would be good if both were successes, so we can get sequels.

If JLD were to come out TODAY with how popular super hero movies are today AND it's good, I will bet it will be a success box office wise.

Kazenji
He failed twice with hellboy

Also doesn't help when the general audience didn't know who the character was and were expecting the next Superman or Batman movie

and lol at the first movie being a failure.

Golgo13
Both Hellboy's weren't failures. They both made their money back and did extremely well on DVD.

pym-ftw
The general audience don't know the JLA not to mention the subsequent variations.

JLD could be great but without a pedigree it's not gonna make huge money.

Gotg had a huge marketing budget and Marvel's audience trust to aid them, WB would be in a dice roll situation with JLD.

Golgo13
The general audience don't know the JLA not to mention the subsequent variations.

JLD could be great but without a pedigree it's not gonna make huge money.

Gotg had a huge marketing budget and Marvel's audience trust to aid them, WB would be in a dice roll situation with JLD.

WB will be spending mucho dinero for their DC properties in the next several years as well. JLD won't make Batman/Iron Man money, but it could very well do Thor numbers which would be good.

Nonetheless it's waaaay too early to predict how much this movie will do without a trailer or marketing campaign.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Golgo13
WB will be spending mucho dinero for their DC properties in the next several years as well. JLD won't make Batman/Iron Man money, but it could very well do Thor numbers which would be good.

Thor 2 numbers would be good. Thor 1 numbers would not be good enough Imho, considering all the characters and special effects, it will need a big budget, and a lot of marketing considering they're not known at all, and DC doesn't have that same trust with movie-goers that Marvel has.

But whatever the numbers, I do have faith in Del Toro to make a great movie depiction of this team. The numbers the studio's problem (well it's out problem if we want a sequel). But I'm more bothered about the Quality of the film, which I'm sure Del Toro will deliver with.

Golgo13
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Thor 2 numbers would be good. Thor 1 numbers would not be good enough Imho, considering all the characters and special effects, it will need a big budget, and a lot of marketing considering they're not known at all, and DC doesn't have that same trust with movie-goers that Marvel has.

But whatever the numbers, I do have faith in Del Toro to make a great movie depiction of this team. The numbers the studio's problem (well it's out problem if we want a sequel). But I'm more bothered about the Quality of the film, which I'm sure Del Toro will deliver with.

Well, it depends on the budget. Thor 1 numbers for JLD for the FIRST time would be good, IMO. As long as a sequel is green lit and it's received well, JLD 2 will make more money. You can't always expect unknowns to make a lot of money the first time around. It worked for GOTG, but that's not always a guarantee, IMO.

pym-ftw
The Gotg made money based on the company that made it, WB doesn't have that relationship right now.

Golgo13
The Gotg made money based on the company that made it, WB doesn't have that relationship right now.

They could if Batman V Superman and the rest of the shared universe movies are good. And it's looking like it will be that way, seeing as they keep hiring good directors.

pym-ftw
BvS is going to make money regardless, but unless WW makes money I can't see WB branching out very far. I mean rumors suggest the suicide squad will just be a bunch of big name characters that have nothing to do with the actual SS.

Golgo13
BvS is going to make money regardless, but unless WW makes money I can't see WB branching out very far. I mean rumors suggest the suicide squad will just be a bunch of big name characters that have nothing to do with the actual SS.

Casting for Suicide Squad has been fantastic! They got Margot Robbie who IS NOT an A list actor. At least not yet. Tom Hardy (If they can get him) is also not an A list actor.

Whether or not WW makes money remains to be seen. Too early to predict.

DARTH POWER
BvS is going to make money regardless, but unless WW makes money I can't see WB branching out very far.

It's not really about how much money they make, but more to do with how good they are Imho.

Like you said BvS will make money regardless. But if that sucks, then consumer confidence will be at a pretty low level when it comes to other DC movie products.

Same with WW. They both need to be good films. As does SS, then consumer confidence will be high for DC movie products, and then they will be at that stage where anything they put out will make lots of money.

Golgo13
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It's not really about how much money they make, but more to do with how good they are Imho.

Like you said BvS will make money regardless. But if that sucks, then consumer confidence will be at a pretty low level when it comes to other DC movie products.

Same with WW. They both need to be good films. As does SS, then consumer confidence will be high for DC movie products, and then they will be at that stage where anything they put out will make lots of money.

Do you think Suicide Squad will be good? Or is it too early for you? What does your gut say?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Golgo13
Do you think Suicide Squad will be good? Or is it too early for you? What does your gut say?

I think David Ayer is the right man for the job. So yeah my gut says it will be good.

It's the Directors vision (implemented by talented actors) which makes films what they are after all.

Golgo13
Things to come?

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-the-strain-season-2-interview/

Henry_Pym
Bump.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.