The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
XZmxvig1dXE

Demonic Phoenix
ypR03D1nISA

BloodRawEngine
Found myself going "Hot damn" at about the level I'd expected from that gameplay reveal. Someone also noted that the first scene they were at looked strikingly similar to this piece of artwork

The way they described the horseback riding sounds similar to how Shadow of the Colossus handled it. Hell, it looked like it too. Also, I'm glad the whole "Bullet time horse vaulting" thing from the E3 reveal is a gameplay element.

As for the narrative, clearly we still have nothing, but the sailcloth and the fact that Link seems to be right-handed makes me wonder if there are SS connections.

NemeBro
The Viking shield is all that I care about.

ScreamPaste
It's so beautiful. If only Link were a lefty. /Traditionalist.

I'm stoked.

Nemesis X
Trivial but I love that the map is on the Wii U's gamepad. It always annoyed me a slight bit how sometimes I would have to pause a game just to know where a destination is and how much closer I am to it.

Impediment
That settles it. Next year, I'm buying a Wii U.

ares834
Hopefully we can aim only using the control stick and not have to rely on motion controls... I doubt it though.

Bentley
Looking at this game reminds me I'd rather play Pikmin 4.

Happy Dance

Zack Fair
Meh. I would comment if I could actually see the damn thing. Why the **** do they want us to look at them while they comment on shit?

BloodRawEngine
IGN has a zoomed-in version. The quality is still off-screen though

Quincy
I hope the rumors of this version of Link being female are true

ScreamPaste
They aren't, and go away.

Man, this game looks huge, it's rumoured they've been working on it since before Skyward Sword since the horse AI is something they apparently started work in in 2008.

It's so pretty.

Quincy
Why not bro?

BloodRawEngine
Hell, if you listen closely during the parts where Link is vaulting off the horse, he sounds almost exactly like he does in SS or TP.

Dramatic Gecko
Its beautiful/ :')

(also... I thought I made a thread for this....)

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Quincy
Why not bro?
Because the last thing we need is quality games making needless concessions to destructive SJW's.

Link's gender has never been important to the plot in any game, if they make him a woman after thirty years, it will probably be played as significant to the detriment of the plot, and thus the game as a whole. I was okay with the idea of female Link so long as it was never addressed as significant until what happened to Thor.

I love Nintendo but I'm not sure even they could cater to the SJWs in a way that wouldn't leave a foul taste in my mouth.

In short, **** people who think Link's gender matters at all. Ironically, including myself, as a result of seeing what this sort of transformation can do to a franchise!

Sacred 117
How'd that negatively impact Thor (assuming that's what you meant)? I never read that.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Its beautiful/ :')

(also... I thought I made a thread for this....)

You might have.....but we better not get someone's jimmies rustled.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Sacred 117
How'd that negatively impact Thor (assuming that's what you meant)? I never read that. Thor 1 is... A mess. It was physically painful to read, anvilicious, redundant, and it shat all over Thor himself, as well as Odin, to make Girl!Thor's picking up the hammer more significant. Because girls can be heroes too. Did you know that? Because apparently all of the female super heroes that already exist don't count, it only matters when they dethrone an existing male superhero. If you want Female Link, play Metroid.

I could rant for literal days about how much I hate what needless changes like that do to quality franchises, but I won't. This thread is for Zelda. Yay Zelda.

I'm excited, the game looks gorgeous, and the wild animals and shit like horses make me think it'll feel really alive, something most open world games fail at.

NemeBro
tl;dr Shin is assmad about what happened to Thor and projecting it to other franchises. Just ignore him.

FinalAnswer
Nah I want a female Link

Nemesis X
If people want to play a woman in a Zelda game so bad, Nintendo should make one centered around, y'know, the game's flippin namesake? When will we ever get a game where the princess is the one traveling and Link is the one who gets captured?

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Nemesis X
If people want to play a woman in a Zelda game so bad, Nintendo should make one centered around, y'know, the game's flippin namesake? When will we ever get a game where the princess is the one traveling and Link is the one who gets captured? That'd be the one where the lore breaks and SJW's get to have their party on the burnt remains of a once great franchise.

The entire point of Link's existence in the Zelda Cycle is to be the Hero. They even capitolise the word in game. It'd be one thing to make Link a woman and just not acknowledge it, that'd be fine, to do some outright nonsense like make Link not the hero would legitimately defy the lore.

Lek Kuen
Could always make a spin off exploring some other shit.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
That'd be the one where the lore breaks and SJW's get to have their party on the burnt remains of a once great franchise.

The entire point of Link's existence in the Zelda Cycle is to be the Hero. They even capitolise the word in game. It'd be one thing to make Link a woman and just not acknowledge it, that'd be fine, to do some outright nonsense like make Link not the hero would legitimately defy the lore.

Okay then. If Link can't get captured, the game can still focus on Zelda protecting her kingdom from other threats before the arrival of Ganon's next reincarnation and Link leaves his home village. That would be alright wouldn't it?

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Okay then. If Link can't get captured, the game can still focus on Zelda protecting her kingdom from other threats before the arrival of Ganon's next reincarnation and Link leaves his home village. That would be alright wouldn't it? hey, sure, that'd be fine, or even just Zelda doing something against a non-cycle-related-evil.

Bentley
They even capitolise the word in game. It'd be one thing to make Link a woman and just not acknowledge it, that'd be fine, to do some outright nonsense like make Link not the hero would legitimately defy the lore.

I'm all behind redefining the lore to expand it. Variants in Link are fine since he's a timeless hero anyways. We have had Zelda games where Zelda isn't even present and there is no Triforce, and they've been good, so I don't see why it would be a problem to try other variations.

ares834
Thor 1 is... A mess. It was physically painful to read, anvilicious, redundant, and it shat all over Thor himself, as well as Odin, to make Girl!Thor's picking up the hammer more significant. Because girls can be heroes too. Did you know that? Because apparently all of the female super heroes that already exist don't count, it only matters when they dethrone an existing male superhero. If you want Female Link, play Metroid.

Shor>Thor

Nemesis X
In a way, we do kind of already got a game where you play as a female Link.

zSNJyZQEUnE

Quincy
Because the last thing we need is quality games making needless concessions to destructive SJW's.

Link's gender has never been important to the plot in any game, if they make him a woman after thirty years, it will probably be played as significant to the detriment of the plot, and thus the game as a whole. I was okay with the idea of female Link so long as it was never addressed as significant until what happened to Thor.

I love Nintendo but I'm not sure even they could cater to the SJWs in a way that wouldn't leave a foul taste in my mouth.

In short, **** people who think Link's gender matters at all. Ironically, including myself, as a result of seeing what this sort of transformation can do to a franchise!

Making Link a female would be destructive?

I think it would literally be the equivalent of "Oh cool, Link's a girl in this one." That'd be the extent. If it doesn't make a difference what the gender is, why does it make a difference if the gender is changed?

Scythe
Bought a WiiU, ready for this.

ScreamPaste
Making Link a female would be destructive?

I think it would literally be the equivalent of "Oh cool, Link's a girl in this one." That'd be the extent. If it doesn't make a difference what the gender is, why does it make a difference if the gender is changed? No, the typical types of people who campaign for a female Link are destructive.

If that could be the end of it, and it was not done to appease those sorts of people, I'd be fine with it, but we don't live in a world where I trust that to happen. People who don't like what I like need to stop changing what I like so that they can like it at my expense.

Originally posted by Scythe
Bought a WiiU, ready for this.
Welcome, brother.

Lek Kuen
I still say instead we should get a gay Link and him and Ganon used to bang.

Scythe

Welcome, brother.

Have always bought a new console or handheld stictly for the zelda franchise and I haven't been disappointed yet. What's the release date so far for this game?

NemeBro
No, the typical types of people who campaign for a female Link are destructive.

If that could be the end of it, and it was not done to appease those sorts of people, I'd be fine with it, but we don't live in a world where I trust that to happen. People who don't like what I like need to stop changing what I like so that they can like it at my expense. Notice the lack of substantiation in Shin's claims.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Scythe
Have always bought a new console or handheld stictly for the zelda franchise and I haven't been disappointed yet. What's the release date so far for this game?
Sometime in 2015, I'm betting near the end of the year, because Nintendo works on these things for a long time, but we'll see.

Originally posted by NemeBro
Notice the lack of substantiation in Shin's claims.
Your trolling is cute when it's not about anything important. Now is not the time.

Quincy
So would you like it less if Link was a girl?

ScreamPaste
So would you like it less if Link was a girl? I like Metroid games just fine.

Are you actually reading my posts, because this is the second reply to me that's contained a question answered in the post to which you are replying. mmm

NemeBro

Your trolling is cute when it's not about anything important. Now is not the time. You haven't substantiated any of your claims though.

Really, I just want you to stop being such a whiner about it. You weren't nearly so opposed to the idea until someone decided to wreck Thor.

Which was something that no one, not even feminists, asked to be done, as far as I know. Some might have jumped on the bandwagon when it already became a thing, but did feminists force it onto Marvel?

ScreamPaste
You haven't substantiated any of your claims though.

Really, I just want you to stop being such a whiner about it. You weren't nearly so opposed to the idea until someone decided to wreck Thor.

Which was something that no one, not even feminists, asked to be done, as far as I know. Some might have jumped on the bandwagon when it already became a thing, but did feminists force it onto Marvel? I'll stop making a big deal about an issue when that issue stops being destructive, and under-recognized.

NemeBro
Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you don't substantiate your claims on that issue. thumb up

Scythe
Sometime in 2015, I'm betting near the end of the year, because Nintendo works on these things for a long time, but we'll see.

I'm down for that. I'm between this, Hyrule Warriors, Majora's Mask and Smash, it's a good time to be a Zelda fan.

NotAllThatEvil
so how come there isn't a donkey kong game where DK is a woman?

Quincy
Because Donkey Kong is a character that is a male.

Although there already are two donkey kong games in which the main protagonist is Dixie Kong...

NotAllThatEvil
donkey kong and donkey kong jr are different characters. Why can't ther be a DK the third who has a more feminine touch?

Quincy
Are you not...are you for real?

NotAllThatEvil
what? Giving an aesthetic change to a popular video game icon for kicks and giggles isn't a good idea? If changing DK or Mario Or samus to opposite genders doesn't fly, why is the fact that zelda lore has a bit more wiggle room the green light to change a franchise icon?

ares834
That "bit more wiggle room" is the whole reason they could make the change. They've drastically changed the franchise icon before anyway so it's not like this would be the first time. Anyway, I'm not for or against making Link a girl (although I would prefer it to the effeminate guy we are getting in the new game), but lets not pretend its similar to changing DK to a girl or Samus to a dude.

NotAllThatEvil
but thats what I don't get. You could find ways to make the change for other video game characters with a hint of imagination, but because zelda covers thousands of years, its suddenly ok. Why?

Quincy
If you'd like a female donkey kong, that's cool man. I'd still play it as long as it's cool. But if you're trying to imply that there is no difference between the Donkey Kong franchise timeline and the Legend of Zelda plot, you're off-base.

If you want a female donkey kong, you have on in Dixie Kong. If you just want a female monkey named Donkey Kong also, that's...cool too. Power to ya.

Put the Legend of Zelda's main character Link is different in every game. Different timelines, different realities presumably. If you genuinely dont see that that concept doesn't lend itself to change easier than changing the gender of an existing character, you may have some logic issues.

NotAllThatEvil
just because you can doesn't mean you should.What is there to gain? His lore might not be as stable, but his character is just as iconic.

NemeBro
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
donkey kong and donkey kong jr are different characters. Why can't ther be a DK the third who has a more feminine touch? As in, Donkey has a daughter that he names Donkey for some weird reason?

Sure man. That's fine.

Mario can't be changed to a female because it's the same character in each game. Same with why Samus can't become a female.

Link has had differences in appearance in just about every game he's been in, and is often an entirely different Link. So there's not really any reason there couldn't be a female Link.

I mean, I don't really give a **** about female Link, nor am I so much of an insecure pussy that Link being feminine-looking bothers me, but I honestly don't see any issue with a female Link.

ares834
but thats what I don't get. You could find ways to make the change for other video game characters with a hint of imagination, but because zelda covers thousands of years, its suddenly ok. Why?

Zelda works because you are playing as different characters throughout the series. Link is reincarnated it isn't the exact same dude everytime.

For the other characters you brought up your going to need a magic sex changing ray or the character to go under the knife...

NotAllThatEvil
in Mario i don't see a magic sex changing ray to be an impossibility. I'm pretty sure one already exists somewhere in the Japanese versions.

NemeBro
Then I am pretty okay with a female Mario. *shrugs*

People who appeal to tradition are pussies.

NotAllThatEvil
people who ignore traditions have no backbone.

ares834
in Mario i don't see a magic sex changing ray to be an impossibility. I'm pretty sure one already exists somewhere in the Japanese versions.

Fair enough. Then if it was done in a tasteful manner, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Nemesis X
I'm assuming the continuation of Link's lineage always comes from sleeping with the current gen Zelda. If that's true, it'd be more than just Link getting the snip as it would be donated and shipped off to make a prince. I wonder if they would call the game Zelda still and not Legend of...Zed.

NemeBro
people who ignore traditions have no backbone. What takes more courage: following the same path as everyone else, or going your own way?

BloodRain
What are peoples hopes and expectations for this?Originally posted by NemeBro
People who appeal to tradition are pussies. Nintendo for the most part?

ScreamPaste
What takes more courage: following the same path as everyone else, or going your own way? In this case, going your own way means following tradition. The 'hip' and PC thing to do right now would be to cave in to SJW (and neckbeard) demands and make Link a woman for no other reason than to appease them. This is what I am against.

NATE has this correct. There's no reason to change a gaming icon thirty years later due to misplaced pressure. We already know girls can be heroes, we have Samus.

NemeBro
You're assuming ulterior motives that you haven't proven to exist.

"Misplaced pressure" lol.

Anyway, another, more obvious solution is to have the option to choose between a male and female Link at the start of the game. This makes the likelihood of Link's gender being a big deal much smaller.

I mean really, other than muh tradition, why not? It's ****ing harmless.

Bentley
I just can't play Pokemon games since I was given the option of being a female trainer, f_ck that!

Nah, I play Pokemon all the time and my avatar is a 10 year old girl in a dress mmm

ScreamPaste
You're assuming ulterior motives that you haven't proven to exist.

"Misplaced pressure" lol.

Anyway, another, more obvious solution is to have the option to choose between a male and female Link at the start of the game. This makes the likelihood of Link's gender being a big deal much smaller.

I mean really, other than muh tradition, why not? It's ****ing harmless. We also don't have female Link currently, so no, I guess those motives do not currently exist at Nintendo in any observable way, which is good. Nintendo has always done their own thing regardless of what people say, and that gives me hope.

And we already spoke about having the option at the beginning of the game to choose, and you know I'd be fine with that, because by definition the plot has to be the same for both characters, so that would be fine as long as the only thing that changes is pronouns.

It's not 'muh tradition', it's 'keep destructive, agenda pushing narrative wank out of media I enjoy'

quanchi112
This game actually looks decent. I'd love to argue Dragon Age Inquisition vs. Zelda Wii U in the future. Dragon Age is such a badass fictional universe. Love to see Corypheus rape Ganondorf and Hyrule's fatass.

Inhuman
Netflix is supposedly making a live action legend of zelda series.

i made a thread about it here.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f36/t608357.html

Impediment
1rPxiXXxftE

Surtur
Originally posted by Impediment
1rPxiXXxftE

What the f*ck, some ass holes are seeing this and bitching about the graphics. My 8 yr. old self wants to leap forward in time and beat them to death with my SNES "Link to the Past" cartridge.

Game looks great.

Impediment
Looks breathtaking, if you ask me.

Surtur
It basically looks how Zelda should look. It has that look and feel of it.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Surtur
What the f*ck, some ass holes are seeing this and bitching about the graphics. My 8 yr. old self wants to leap forward in time and beat them to death with my SNES "Link to the Past" cartridge.

Game looks great.

Probably the stuttering frame-rate. Reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus, and we all know how that game was received.

NotAllThatEvil
It looks like legrnd of zelda survivor man.

CosmicComet
I saw Link wielding a frigging huge axe in Nintendo's playthrough of it today.

Looks amazing.

Impediment
Now people are bitching because the game has actual voice acting.

CosmicComet
Lol

Inhuman
Looks great

Surtur
Now people are bitching because the game has actual voice acting.

We sort of had it before..I'm sure you remember:

HEY...LISTEN!!!

F*cking fairies.

Impediment
F*cking Navi.

ares834
As expected, this looks phenomenal.

NotAllThatEvil
Not stoked about your weapons breaking though. Thats a personal pet peeve i can't stand in video games.

CosmicComet
True, breaking melee weapons just seems like pointless busy work.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ares834
As expected, this looks phenomenal. Kiss ass.

CPT Space Bomb
I sadly think my interest in Zelda and Nintendo in general is at an all time low. The more I age the more it seems that Nintendo doesn't change with the times; at least not fast enough.

For instance, If I want a Zelda fix I'll just play some Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls or Witcher games. They do what Zelda does but better and more mature themed nowadays.

Breath of the Wild is an open world game!!! Um; okay? There have been a billion of those by now. You'll need more than crappy cell shaded graphics to impress me. Sure, there are some things that look cool about it; but I just am a little upset that Nintendo REFUSES to make a true HD Zelda game with a more mature theme in mind. Oh well, there is always the other games I mentioned.

NotAllThatEvil
Nintendo doesn't make "mature" games. Just cause you add a bunch of blood and prostitutes doesn't make a game any better.

That being said, the more i look into this game the more hesitant i become...

CPT Space Bomb
Just cause you add a bunch of blood and prostitutes doesn't make a game any better.
Blood and Prostitutes are NOT what make a game like The Witcher great.

When I said mature games and themes I'm more talking about the TONE and STORY of the game.

For instance, Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone is basically a very clever retelling of the Polish version of the Faust story . It compares religion and superstition of today's real world setting to the times of old. There is weight and thought that MUST go into your decisions and it feels almost more like a great movie than being a great game at times.

Yet, Zelda keeps focusing on cartoon characters with no depth and a fairly shallow story. And that's FINE. It's absolutely fine because Zelda is and always has been more for all gamers than the adult crowd. So it has to be more kid friendly.

But yah, I read all the books to the Witcher series and blood and prostitutes were the least exciting thing to me.

Quincy
I can agree there's a maturity difference but saying some other games do "Zelda" better than ZELDA does is silly

CPT Space Bomb
I can agree there's a maturity difference but saying some other games do "Zelda" better than ZELDA does is silly You're right, I should have prefaced it by saying "In my opinion". I'd prefer to play games that are more centered around my interests/stories and the tones of games are very important to me.

Unfortunately, Zelda hasn't aged with it's gamers. I grew up with Zelda, and for many years considered Ocarina of Time to be my favorite game of all time. But I've grown older and my interests have as well. Zelda is still content to be primarily a game for kids/teens and young adults.

Obviously there are things that Zelda started and the modern action RPG genre in general owes A LOT to Zelda. But I dunno, I'm just not into it anymore and it sucks.

Very glad for people that Enjoy it still though. More power to you.

Surtur
For me Zelda has always been the one thing for me about Nintendo that I always still liked as I grew up. The other big Nintendo games like Mario just didn't do it for me. I loved Mario 64 and still do, but since then I have not had that same feeling playing other Mario games.

But they would always at least deliver quality Zelda, and it's neither mature nor is it just for kids. I like Dark Souls, but I just think the "Ocarina of Time" game is a masterpiece. Ocarina for me is the greatest in the series, followed by Link to the Past and then probably Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Funny thing is I actually hate all the Zelda games that were on NES. Link to the Past is what got me into the series.

I actually do feel it has aged well..more or less.

Quincy
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
You're right, I should have prefaced it by saying "In my opinion". I'd prefer to play games that are more centered around my interests/stories and the tones of games are very important to me.

Unfortunately, Zelda hasn't aged with it's gamers. I grew up with Zelda, and for many years considered Ocarina of Time to be my favorite game of all time. But I've grown older and my interests have as well. Zelda is still content to be primarily a game for kids/teens and young adults.

Obviously there are things that Zelda started and the modern action RPG genre in general owes A LOT to Zelda. But I dunno, I'm just not into it anymore and it sucks.

Very glad for people that Enjoy it still though. More power to you.

thumb up

NotAllThatEvil
new trailer gives off a studio ghibli vibe. I dig it

Impediment
BotW is getting perfect 10s all around.

I'm still not buying a Switch, though. I'll dust off my Wii U, instead.

Arachnid1
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered?sort=desc

brb first game on new console
brb already in top 5 highest rated games of all time
brb two Zelda games in the top 5

GOATs gon GOAT

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzu36lz98Y1qfngqeo1_400.gif

CosmicComet
Wherever paste is, i hope he is happy.

ares834
Hype. I was expecting it to fall in the mid to low 90's on metacritic not 98. I didn't even think scores like that were possible anymore.

Anyway, I'm picking this and the Switch up tonight. I can't wait!

Arachnid1
Originally posted by ares834
I'm picking this and the Switch up tonight. I can't wait! Damn your lucky. Chits sold out where I am, even if I was on a budget to buy a new console and game right now. I'm green with envy

Inhuman
Seems I got to buy a switch

Classic NES
BotW is getting perfect 10s all around.

I'm still not buying a Switch, though. I'll dust off my Wii U, instead.

Same.

Nemesis X
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14793748/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-patch-dlc-support

DLC support? Expansion Pass? Zelda? These should not exist together WTF.

Zack Fair
I can outgrow Nintendo and all the gimmicks, but I definitely cannot get over Zelda. Now I find myself trying to find a cheap Wii U to play this ****ing game -_-

Inhuman
This game is fuking great thumb up

Nephthys
Holy shit, I'm watching the newest Jimquisition and the clips he's showing make the weapons look like they're made of paper. The most extreme weapon durability system I've ever seen. The fvck?

Is it only for common weapons or something because man thats borderline unsustainable levels of breaking.

ares834
The weapons break often. But there are so many of them, it never becomes a problem.

Nephthys
Kinda sounds like that is the problem.

ares834

KingD19
So there is no Master Sword that's just unbreakable? That's as much part of LoZ as Link and Zelda themselves.

ares834

emporerpants
This game is incredible. Haven't had this kind of sense of adventure in a game since I was a kid.

Impediment
I just ordered the Wii U version from my local Best Buy and it should be ready for pick up in about 20 minutes.

I can't wait!

emporerpants
Have fun man! This game is something special. Nintendo really out did themselves this time. Remember playing games back in the day and seeing things in the back ground and thinking "man, it would be cool to do there and climb that or investigate that, etc.?" Well, this game really delivers on that. In many other open world games you can go everywhere sure, but you still can't climb certain mountains, get to the top of certain things, etc. Well, in this game you can, and you get rewarded for doing it. There are secrets and chests everywhere.

This game does a awesome job with making interesting environments that are fun to explore and are aesthetically pleasing.

The little touches are also amazing. Blocking arrows with a wooden shield and then plucking them out to use them. Throwing a metal weapon into a group of enemies during a lighting storm and having one of them pick it up to use against you only to be struck by lighting for holding something metal. Watching a giant enemy pick up a smaller enemy to use as a weapon because I stole it's weapon. All of these kinds of things add to the sense of wonder.

Impediment
Just got to Kakariko Village and I'm starting to get a little lost. Ha ha.

Great, great game, though.

emporerpants
It just keeps getting better. smile In this game just getting from point A to point B on the map really does feel like an adventure.

Impediment
I have only four heart containers and I cannot defeat the Ganon boss of the elephant machine.

How do I get hearts, but fast?

emporerpants
It's not really going to be fast. You have to explore and go to shrines and collect spirit orbs. Take some time to explore. I didn't do that first real dungeon until I had explored a lot. Also, find a great fairy fountain and upgrade the soldier armor you can buy from Haeinto (sp?) village in the east.

ares834
Finally beat the game after 60 hours. All in all, a fantastic game. One of the best I've every played.

Nemesis X
-xWXBxrPDAY

Zack Fair
This game is fantastic. Its insane how consistently good the franchise has been for more than 25 years.

Inhuman
I don't get how people can rush to this game as fast as possible to finish it.
Every new Zone I unlock I tried to explore every nook and cranny before I even proceed to the next zone.
Then I revisit zones when I'm doing side quests or if I missed a shrine.
I don't see the point in just going from A to B just to finish the main quest quickly.

Zack Fair
I am taking my sweet time. I've explored over 7/10th the world(at least the towers)

Zack Fair
This game has finally dethroned OoT as GOAT Zelda and top 3 games of all time for me. I always held OoT on such high regard for long because of how polished and revolutionary it was at the time. Mechanics so good that not only did they completely change the world of gaming, but they continued to be solid even after 20 years. However what Breath of the Wild has done with its open world is just so impressive to me. I am not that fond/crazy over Open Worlds but I just openly want to explore every single square inch of this world. Feels so unique and real in a sense that it ain't just copy pasted crap all over the place. Feels like these are real places with history behind them. The presentation and visuals of the world tell the story by themselves. Its hard to explain. Not to mention the superb combat(DuH its a Zelda after all) which is one of my big gripes with most Open World games, And I have to praise the clever decision to split all the huge mazes/puzzles from the big dungeons found in previous games and use them to populate the open world.

This game is just...Breath of Fresh Air.

BackFire
Got a Switch and this game yesterday and so far I'm very impressed. I've always had trouble getting into Zelda games before, actually haven't completed one since the original when I was four years old. Never finished OOT, even.

I've always been one to enjoy overworld activities more than lengthy dungeons in games, and I think that's why I've always had problems with the newer 3D Zelda games. In OOT I loved exploring Hyrule field and doing things out in the world, but as soon as a dungeon would start I'd kind of lose interested and just kind of rush through it to get back out into the world. I know the de-emphasization on long traditional dungeons is controversial in this game but so far I'm loving the change. I like the little bite sized shrine/dungeons, they are quick and fun and then I can get back out to exploring the world, which is gorgeous and has a great personality.

The combat is fun and even the fragile weapons, which I was concerned that I would find annoying, is kinda cool because it makes finding weapons exciting no matter what.

Thus far, this looks like the Zelda game I've been waiting for.

cdtm
It looks like every open world rpg ever to me.

But that could just be me, I always thought the Witcher's and Skyrim's and Dragon's whatever other games blended together. Just a difference of combat mechanics, mostly.

It's like Final Fantasy games.. Really just another jrpg in a sea of jrpg's, but they've got the brand name (Which is why Lost Odyssey is only a cult hit, when it's got the juice of a FF blockbuster..)

ares834
It's very different from most other open world RPGs.

Anyway, Nintendo unveiled their American sales and funnily enough they sold more BotW from Switch then then did Switches meaning currently this game has an attach-rate over 100% in America.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by cdtm
It looks like every open world rpg ever to me.

But that could just be me, I always thought the Witcher's and Skyrim's and Dragon's whatever other games blended together. Just a difference of combat mechanics, mostly.

It's like Final Fantasy games.. Really just another jrpg in a sea of jrpg's, but they've got the brand name (Which is why Lost Odyssey is only a cult hit, when it's got the juice of a FF blockbuster..)

Nope.

Sorry, but nope.

This game actually deserves all of its reviews and praise.(IMO) It isn't perfect(no game is) but everything it gets right completely stream rolls all the negatives.

My 2 cents.

Like in all honesty I've played all the games you mentioned....and this is just better( for me anyway. The Witcher 3 was good but combat and mechanics always felt clunky and somehow the open world was extremely overwhelming to me). It is really not fair to the game to say its getting the love because of its name. It is a legit fun and extremely polished/well designed game.

Just the different ways you can get through things....nothing like it really. Simple stuff that will completely fly over your head and once you figure it out you will be all like

https://media.makeameme.org/created/ohhhh-i-see-3hb9i6.jpg

Zack Fair
BTW thats how I feel. I apologize if I came off a bit antagonistic and mean-spirited in my pevious post. I'm under the influence and a bit agitated over RL events. No hard feelings.

ANYWAYS

HYAAAAAAA

One of the better surprises was the voice acting(as terrible as Zelda was) and realizing I still liked the whole grunting crap. It was funny hearing 2 NPCs just grunt and whine at each other in a conversation. Just wish the was some more actual VA involved, but at least its something

BackFire
Another impressive thing about this game is how it borrows a lot of conventions from other modern open world style games and alters them just enough to make them feel unique. Like you climb towers in this game to uncover the map, but instead of automatically dotting the map with a bunch of icons for you to go and fetch, it only uncovers the actual landmass, and you have to manually peer over the landscape from the tower to find potentially interesting things and mark them yourself. It sounds like a little thing but it makes it more rewarding to actually find something on your own, that you weren't directly guided to than to just follow the icons around until the map is clear.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Details like using the flame sword to stay warm in the snowy mountains are the icing in the cake.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BackFire
Got a Switch and this game yesterday and so far I'm very impressed. I've always had trouble getting into Zelda games before, actually haven't completed one since the original when I was four years old. Never finished OOT, even.

I've always been one to enjoy overworld activities more than lengthy dungeons in games, and I think that's why I've always had problems with the newer 3D Zelda games. In OOT I loved exploring Hyrule field and doing things out in the world, but as soon as a dungeon would start I'd kind of lose interested and just kind of rush through it to get back out into the world. I know the de-emphasization on long traditional dungeons is controversial in this game but so far I'm loving the change. I like the little bite sized shrine/dungeons, they are quick and fun and then I can get back out to exploring the world, which is gorgeous and has a great personality.

The combat is fun and even the fragile weapons, which I was concerned that I would find annoying, is kinda cool because it makes finding weapons exciting no matter what.

Thus far, this looks like the Zelda game I've been waiting for.

So BotW is worth getting the Switch for it alone then? Because I'm seriously considering it as BotW seems like a game I can really enjoy and fall in love with, even though outside of BotW, there is not much else that interests me for the Switch right now, aside from maybe Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap.

Zack Fair
I believe so unless you got a Wii U and can get it there. I didn't own one, but I made arrangements to trade my xbone for one. I regret nothing. But buying a Wii-U now is just a bad call so if you got the money I'd definitely go for a Switch. Owning the Wii-U now makes me more positive about the Switch's gig.

But the game is a console seller for sure.

BackFire
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
So BotW is worth getting the Switch for it alone then? Because I'm seriously considering it as BotW seems like a game I can really enjoy and fall in love with, even though outside of BotW, there is not much else that interests me for the Switch right now, aside from maybe Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap.

I dunno, I guess that depends on how much you like this Zelda game. It's pretty much all that's available right now, though in a couple weeks Mario Kart comes out, which was one of the reasons I wanted it. Would like to play that game with my girlfriend. And then later in the year a new 3D Mario game is scheduled to launched. Also I hope that 3DS and WiiU games will release in the virtual store, but nothing is confirmed there.

But if Zelda is literally the only game you will be playing on the Switch, then I dunno if it's worth it, even if you love it, $400 for one game is a lot of money.

Zack Fair
This ****ing game.

That is all I have to say.

This ****ing game and its beautiful open world.

I am still in complete Awe and Im still finding things to do/different ways to do things. They weren't kidding when they said they would let us tackle everything almost anyway we can possibly want.

Its just really hard to explain, but I am amazed at the fact they did manage to pull it off.

I haven't been immersed in a world like this since...well since Ocarina of Time back when it came out.

Ridley_Prime
While I'm usually not much a Zelda buff, I can admit what I've seen and heard of this game thus far gives me much hope for how good some game series can be again on like the Switch, so much so that I'd be willing to give this game a try whenever I get the system. Hell, I've already been optimistic for Mario Odyssey since it's reveal, and I didn't think me anticipating a Super Mario could be done again after the Galaxy games.

I'm glad the Wii U was just one hiccup and that Nintendo hasn't become consistent total shit, for the Switch has been doing pretty well so far. While it's easy to resent big N over a number of things done or their gimmicks or out of touch-ness, I never really wanted them to fail; that would just mean one less entertainment platform for me and you.

Zack Fair
This is the best Zelda game to start newcomers in. I'm in the same boat as Backfire and in that I didn't like dungeons all that much. Granted I'd grown used to them over the years, but sometimes I liked them and sometimes I didn't. Anyways regarding good games on the switch....I'd say a good game will be a good game no matter the console. Thing about the Switch right now is that with BoTW you have one of the best games to come out in a long time, and the best console seller since 2001(Halo: Combat Evolved) if not the only real console seller(even if it did come out on the Wii U) Hell a lot of Wii Us were sold just to play the game because Switch just wasn't up there with the demand.

I think the Wii U suffered greatly from its name, the other 2 competitors releasing nearly around the same time and a lack of a great game to sell it(like BotW ironically)

I love/Hate Nintendo xDDD

I hate them when they seem to be behind and having no idea what they are doing, but then they come out and drop these gems.

Anyhows. Back to exploring.

BackFire
"Finished" the game - beat the main quest, all the shrines, found some seeds, did some of the side quests.

Really a great game, easily my favorite Zelda game thus far, and one of the top games of this generation. The sense of wonder and the desire to explore this game induces in the player is second to none. The most fun I've had with a Nintendo game since Mario 64.

S W LeGenD
Really curious to know the extent to which Monolith Soft aided Nintendo on this, as they apparently helped them with the open world design and it seems a lot of what people love about this is the same kind of stuff that people loved about Xenoblade.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Zack Fair
This game has finally dethroned OoT as GOAT Zelda and top 3 games of all time for me. I always held OoT on such high regard for long because of how polished and revolutionary it was at the time. Mechanics so good that not only did they completely change the world of gaming, but they continued to be solid even after 20 years. However what Breath of the Wild has done with its open world is just so impressive to me. I am not that fond/crazy over Open Worlds but I just openly want to explore every single square inch of this world. Feels so unique and real in a sense that it ain't just copy pasted crap all over the place. Feels like these are real places with history behind them. The presentation and visuals of the world tell the story by themselves. Its hard to explain. Not to mention the superb combat(DuH its a Zelda after all) which is one of my big gripes with most Open World games, And I have to praise the clever decision to split all the huge mazes/puzzles from the big dungeons found in previous games and use them to populate the open world.

This game is just...Breath of Fresh Air.

XOC3vixnj_0

Jmanghan
This song is awesome btw: M9xmHed_N_s

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Zack Fair
This ****ing game.

That is all I have to say.

This ****ing game and its beautiful open world.

I am still in complete Awe and Im still finding things to do/different ways to do things. They weren't kidding when they said they would let us tackle everything almost anyway we can possibly want.

Its just really hard to explain, but I am amazed at the fact they did manage to pull it off.

I haven't been immersed in a world like this since...well since Ocarina of Time back when it came out. I finally started playing this a few days ago and my god, it is amazing. Holy shit, I may have to force another game out of my top 5 to fit this one in. The only game since PS3 gen to accomplish that is Bloodborne.

I really don't get how they did it. It should be the typical boring open world fare I've gone through time and time again, but this is in another league. Everything just comes together so well. Not even Red Dead is tearing me away from this.

The nostalgia is off the charts too. Zelda was the first game I ever played when I was a kid, so them making an entry that's going to end up one of my all time favorites is all kinds of win. Man.

Inhuman
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I finally started playing this a few days ago and my god, it is amazing. Holy shit, I may have to force another game out of my top 5 to fit this one in. The only game since PS3 gen to accomplish that is Bloodborne.

I really don't get how they did it. It should be the typical boring open world fare I've gone through time and time again, but this is in another league. Everything just comes together so well. Not even Red Dead is tearing me away from this.

The nostalgia is off the charts too. Zelda was the first game I ever played when I was a kid, so them making an entry that's going to end up one of my all time favorites is all kinds of win. Man.

thumb up
Had the same feeling when I played it.

Jmanghan
I love this game, but I accidentally deleted my save somewhere near the beginning of the year, I had already done so much, but next year I'm gonna try to start again.

I wanna try to finally complete some Zelda's, wanna beat Mario 64 as well.

Idc if they're the 3DS versions, hell many argue the 3DS version of OoT is an improvement to the original.

I have to say though... OoT has a much better story, not that BoTW has a bad one.

ares834
Well, BotW barely had a plot so losing to OoT in that regard isn't surprising. TWW still has the best plot of all the Zelda games IMO.

Arachnid1
I finally started playing this a few days ago and my god, it is amazing. Holy shit, I may have to force another game out of my top 5 to fit this one in. The only game since PS3 gen to accomplish that is Bloodborne.

The nostalgia is off the charts too. Zelda was the first game I ever played when I was a kid, so them making an entry that's going to end up one of my all time favorites is all kinds of win. Man. Half a year later and I'm finally done. Almost 100%ed the game (only DLC I didn't finish was master sword trials because it's BS, and the korok seeds because it's also bs; otherwise all shrines, memories, and quests are done). Unfortunately the Switch doesn't keep an accurate count of how many hours you have in a game (it caps at 100 which I hit). I want to say I'm somewhere around 150-180 hrs but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, phenomenal game. Can't wait to see what they do next. I can't remember the last time I 100%ed an open world game. Definitely not this gen. The only game I did everything for this gen is Bloodborne, though that took a quarter of the time this game did.

Jmanghan
Half a year later and I'm finally done. Almost 100%ed the game (only DLC I didn't finish was master sword trials because it's BS, and the korok seeds because it's also bs; otherwise all shrines, memories, and quests are done). Unfortunately the Switch doesn't keep an accurate count of how many hours you have in a game (it caps at 100 which I hit). I want to say I'm somewhere around 150-180 hrs but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, phenomenal game. Can't wait to see what they do next. I can't remember the last time I 100%ed an open world game. Definitely not this gen. The only game I did everything for this gen is Bloodborne, though that took a quarter of the time this game did. It doesn't?

Switch counts 210 hours for me, lol.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It doesn't?

Switch counts 210 hours for me, lol. Through your profile on the upper left? Or do you use some kind of app? I've been reading online that it caps at 100 for others too where I go for the count and I'd love something accurate

Jmanghan
Through your profile on the upper left? Or do you use some kind of app? I've been reading online that it caps at 100 for others too where I go for the count and I'd love something accurate Through my profile on the upper left, yeah.

Skyrim also has 175 hours. Dunno where you read that. Might be country-specific or something, but I doubt it.

Klaw
I honestly can't get into the game.

It's too open world.

I've put over 20 hours in and I'm not feeling it.

Looks great though.

Impediment

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Klaw
I honestly can't get into the game.

It's too open world.

I've put over 20 hours in and I'm not feeling it.

Looks great though. That's exactly why I loved it so much.

This is the biggest Hyrule has ever been and there's so much to see and do, so many shrines to finish. The fairy fountains, the easter eggs, korok seeds, it's very much a "make your own fun" kinda game and I'm happy that it is that way.

Combat is also the most complex and challenging it's ever been. It's not Dark Souls level by any means but at least you aren't just waiting for whatever enemy to lower their guard like other Zelda games.

As much as I love Ocarina of Time, this is by far my favorite Zelda game, the only way they could top it, in my eyes, is maybe if they made a Zelda Maker, where you can create your own dungeons kinda like this:
0zcJzxZtrvM

Would it be difficult? Yes. Would it make Nintendo an exorbitant amount of money? Still yes.

BackFire

Jmanghan
I mean the shrines were meant to satiate those dungeon-lover's appetites though, they were these fine little bite-sized dungeons, and I rarely had a bad time doing them, tbh.

Though the DLC was underwhelming, especially those ****ing Master Trials. I paid for the expansion pass and just got "hey, here's some really hard stuff", when all I wanted was more content that could be enjoyed by hardcore players and casuals alike.

To this day I haven't finished either DLC, because what they ask of you is very unreasonable considering how much it costs and what you expect of it.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>