George Lucas and Episode 7

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediRobin23
Well for those of you who haven't heard. Lucas has never seen the teaser trailer yet (so he says) and doesnt want to take 88 seconds out of his busy life to see it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/showbiz/movies/george-lucas-star-wars-trailer/index.html?hpt=en_c1

I kinda feel bad for lucas that the Internet is making episode 7 out to be better than the prequals. I can see why he might be a little bitter if he's seen all the bad mouthing, especially with the ep7 special edition teaser trailer. Sounds like he has little involvement in ep 7 regardless. Perhaps he knows too much already to watch it anyway, but who knows.....

Fated Xtasy
Wow, that's a bit harsh. I think.maybe it's just dumb rumors.

DARTH POWER
Because he said he'd prefer to just watch the finished film in Theatres. He knows the Story and Plot anyway.

He did the best thing selling the franchise off after the way fans constantly bad mouthed him over the last 15 years. Now whether Ep. 7 Sucks or if it's Awesome, at least he knows everyone will be off his back.

Bashar Teg
iirc he said he wants to see the trailer and/or film on the big screen as opposed to a monitor/tv, which is it be expected from most artsy film director types who place heavy stock in their chosen medium.

also, inb4 "look what you all did to poor george lucas shame on you!" nonsense.

Sith Master X
I'm glad Lucas hasn't watched a second of the trailer. If Jar Jar's not in the movie I won't even see it.

peluffo
well...
http://youtu.be/auZzm_eHD1s

Shey Tapani
Good, he should not be involved in any way. I am fine with him not watching the movie.

Lord Lucien
Did you guys hear about Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney?

JediRobin23
Well. Calling him a creative consultant sounds like it was bullsh$t

Zenwolf
A little bitter? Only just?

Any fans of anything, that sends creators of the things they like, bad mouthing constantly, death threats(yes these have happened to some creators as I recall) and so on.

1. They aren't really fans.

2. You don't like some stuff that has happened? Ok fine...you don't like it, that's no excuse to pretty much tear down the creator, the guy/girl who created something that you love in the first place.

See point one, a fan while they may disagree with some choices have been made, should still respect the person what they gave them and what they are so passionate about, because without that person.....the fan wouldn't be there.

3. Insulting/Bad Mouthing and Death threats. ....I shouldn't even have to explain this...it's just....no. You don't just insult a person for what they changed/added to what they created, you don't have to like it...but you shouldn't call them a moron, that's just disrespectful.

You also certainly don't send out death threats, or tell them to kill themselves, over some fictional characters or settings. That entirely, is completely stupid.

Sorry for the rant I'm just...I keep seeing these comments about various people who created wonderful settings/characters and the comments just....get to me.

Shey Tapani
I am perfectly happy with not considered a fan, it does not change a thing about my enjoyement of the franchise and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Zenwolf
A little bitter? Only just?

Any fans of anything, that sends creators of the things they like, bad mouthing constantly, death threats(yes these have happened to some creators as I recall) and so on.

1. They aren't really fans.

2. You don't like some stuff that has happened? Ok fine...you don't like it, that's no excuse to pretty much tear down the creator, the guy/girl who created something that you love in the first place.

See point one, a fan while they may disagree with some choices have been made, should still respect the person what they gave them and what they are so passionate about, because without that person.....the fan wouldn't be there.

3. Insulting/Bad Mouthing and Death threats. ....I shouldn't even have to explain this...it's just....no. You don't just insult a person for what they changed/added to what they created, you don't have to like it...but you shouldn't call them a moron, that's just disrespectful.

You also certainly don't send out death threats, or tell them to kill themselves, over some fictional characters or settings. That entirely, is completely stupid.

Sorry for the rant I'm just...I keep seeing these comments about various people who created wonderful settings/characters and the comments just....get to me.

everyone has the right to express negative opinions on films without having to deal with you assigning labels and accusations of being a part of some malignant anti-lucas terrorist group in your imagination.

and wtf are you on about death threats? this brings strawman bashing to a whole new dimension. get over yourself

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
everyone has the right to express negative opinions on films without having to deal with you assigning labels and accusations of being a part of some malignant anti-lucas terrorist group in your imagination.

and wtf are you on about death threats? this brings strawman bashing to a whole new dimension. get over yourself

I see that you didn't really read my post, my post was a generalizing one encompassing all creators of different works, not just one person.

Also I realize that, hence I said you don't need to like what the creator has done, but constantly bash them for it?

I'm on about death threats, because I have seen some posts/comments relating to different creators about them.

Shey Tapani

Also I realize that, hence I said you don't need to like what the creator has done, but constantly bash them for it?

If you don't like it and it comes up what else could happen?

Sith Master X
Don't worry about it Zenwolf. When I was defending Lucas and the PT a few years back I was flat out called a troll because I suggested some people take these movies a bit too seriously.

Look at it this way, people can complain about Lucas as much as they want...the guy is still a billion dollars richer then all of his higher than thou "critics" because he did something with his life instead of being a disgruntled keyboard commando.

Oh, by the way, an article came out today which apparently surprised a lot of people. The article is that the ball droid from the trailer is actually real and not CGI.

Not exactly a compelling case for the "we've gone all practical" if people thought something practical was CGI. lmao!!

I bet Lucas is laughing that one all the way to the bank.

Cheers!

DARTH POWER
I see that you didn't really read my post, my post was a generalizing one encompassing all creators of different works, not just one person.

I'm on about death threats, because I have seen some posts/comments relating to different creators about them.

Originally posted by Sith Master X
Don't worry about it Zenwolf. When I was defending Lucas and the PT a few years back I was flat out called a troll because I suggested some people take these movies a bit too seriously.

Look at it this way, people can complain about Lucas as much as they want...the guy is still a billion dollars richer then all of his higher than thou "critics" because he did something with his life instead of being a disgruntled keyboard commando.

Oh, by the way, an article came out today which apparently surprised a lot of people. The article is that the ball droid from the trailer is actually real and not CGI.

Not exactly a compelling case for the "we've gone all practical" if people thought something practical was CGI. lmao!!

I bet Lucas is laughing that one all the way to the bank.

Cheers!

thumb up

Bashar Teg
and there's the reality-free circlejerk dogpile exactly as predicted.

tell me more about all the horrible things me and my evil brethren personally did to george lucas. dont leave out all those apparent death threats that you totally didnt just make up. then hug eachother tight and cry harder.

Spawningpool
I don't know about your guys but I'm really excited for this movie Happy Dance

JediRobin23
http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/01/disney-and-george-lucas-tfa-treatment-a-different-point-of-view.html

Well, it's pretty much confirmed lucas had nothing to do with ep7. Disney didn't take lucas's story treatments. That sucks......

I hope they totally make up a bunch a crap with spinoffs and destroy it to a point it becomes retarded (being sarcastic)

Bashar Teg
never was it said that george lucas's rough draft of ep 7 was to be followed to the letter. don't let that cool your hate tho. let it flow through you.

JediRobin23
If it's not what lucas would have done then it's not Star Wars anymore. It's now Disney wars.....

Bashar Teg
pWdd6_ZxX8c

JediRobin23
What else is there really? EU

Bashar Teg
your kingdom awaits. i'll miss you.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6

~JP~
Oh FFS, I can't believe that almost 10 years later people insist upon piling on people who love the PT over the OT. I personally loathe Jar Jar Binks but I don't begrudge SMX or anyone else their love of the saga whether it be the OT, the PT or all six movies.

JediRobin23
your kingdom awaits. i'll miss you.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6

Come join the kingdom

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t607837.html

queeq
We're just a little worried, JP. That is all.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ~JP~
Oh FFS, I can't believe that almost 10 years later people insist upon piling on people who love the PT over the OT. I personally loathe Jar Jar Binks but I don't begrudge SMX or anyone else their love of the saga whether it be the OT, the PT or all six movies.

Yes, I never got that. Among my age peers who also like Star Wars, I'm in a majority with my opinion. But on the internet with all of the neckbeards, I'm apparently a troll and just pretending to like the PT, more.

I'd like to clarify that Queeq and Lord Lucien have been the only two to discuss the topic at great lengths with me with out using that ad hominem to dismiss my opinion. It's not all bad and not every forum-dweller is like that.

Sith Master X
So excited I'm going to see Strange Magic later today!

Lucas said it's like Star Wars for girls, but mesa don't care. mesa going anyway!

smile

~JP~
Originally posted by queeq
We're just a little worried, JP. That is all.

You and I have discussed this many times, and we agree that they should have just left the damn saga alone already. I just get tired of the endless arguing about the PT vs the OT. Damn, the horse is dead, move on.

JediRobin23
I actually really liked George Lucas's vision of the pt and ot. The story of the pt was more important to me than jar jar. Now, without any lucas story input, it's just not the same....

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by JediRobin23
I actually really liked George Lucas's vision of the pt and ot. The story of the pt was more important to me than jar jar. Now, without any lucas story input, it's just not the same....

but again your assertion that george lucas has zero input is unsubstantiated. he was given the role of consultant and nothing more. this was announced very publically and by george lucas with disney.

sorry you were duped into believing that disney was going to allow george lucas to control the writing process, or be any part of it. but nothing of the sort was ever suggested by disney or lucas.

JediRobin23
I knew there was no lucas control of the story. My point is that the story treatments sounded like there were thrown in the garbage, and lucas saying it wasn't what he envisioned makes lucas totally separated from this film. Lucas was distanced from this film fully is what it is.

Maybe he knows it sucks already......

Bashar Teg

JediRobin23

queeq
Originally posted by ~JP~
You and I have discussed this many times, and we agree that they should have just left the damn saga alone already. I just get tired of the endless arguing about the PT vs the OT. Damn, the horse is dead, move on.

Well, if Abrams produces a great SW movies, the horse is very much alive if you ask me. But we have to see it first. The anticipation is different from the time when TPM came out.

Bashar Teg
Yes, they went with another story that wasn't lucass. What's not clear in this statement? Sounds pretty straight forward.

but you are WRONG. he didnt say they went with an entirely different story. he said they didnt use his draft. never was it said they would use his draft.

there is a difference between having no input in the film (which you keep asserting, 100% incorrectly) and having no input in the screenwriting process.

JediRobin23
even if he did have input it most likely would have been minor anyway.

E.g.
Hey George, what are your thoughts of putting in a droid on a soccer ball? "Oh, I thinks a great idea, but I suggest making his head look similar to r2d2s". Sounds good George....

queeq
Hehehe

Bashar Teg
even if he did have input it most likely would have been minor anyway.

E.g.
Hey George, what are your thoughts of putting in a droid on a soccer ball? "Oh, I thinks a great idea, but I suggest making his head look similar to r2d2s". Sounds good George....

oversimplified and silly, but more accurate than any previous appraisal in this thread.

thats pretty much his job as it was explained when this all started, presumably far more involved and for the sake of picking his brain for ideas.

but this "george got cheated out of writing the script" buzz is pure nonsense. none of that was in the contract nor was it even hinted at.

JediRobin23
oversimplified and silly, but more accurate than any previous appraisal in this thread.

thats pretty much his job as it was explained when this all started, presumably far more involved and for the sake of picking his brain for ideas.

but this "george got cheated out of writing the script" buzz is pure nonsense. none of that was in the contract nor was it even hinted at.

No, but there was at least some remaining hope.....

See what the movie brings....

queeq
Hope for what?

~JP~
Well, if Abrams produces a great SW movies, the horse is very much alive if you ask me. But we have to see it first. The anticipation is different from the time when TPM came out.

And because I was very happy with how he did the Star Trek reboot, that is the one hope that I have that possibly this one will work.

queeq
Me too. Although I dread the ST:ID-nostalgia-fest-approach...

Lord Lucien
I dread the ST:ID Sounds like the nerdiest venereal disease ever.

queeq
Well, when you see the movie, you're not far off. wink

Bashar Teg

when they were mirror-dialoguing wrath of khan, the reboot never felt more divorced from the franchise. hows that for irony?

on a positive note, since star wars is more action-based, i think it's more of a fit for jj. as long as he doesnt take a hip edgy millennial approach to said action scenes and respect the general flavor of the OT.

that doesnt mean he should have to be restrained by 35 year old cinematography, i just don't want to see shakey cam during dialogue scenes, gross overuse of lensflare, and ESPECIALLY his weird obsession with voyeuristic undressing scenes to delight of horney 14 year olds.

if i get one whiff of jj-edge i'm walking out of the theater, swear on me mum.

~JP~

And that would be a major problem. I quite enjoyed the light flares etc in the ST reboot and the Kahn mirroring worked for me. I cried when Spock died and I cried when Kirk died, (the scene of the Enterprise rising from the rings of Saturn is still one of my favorite movie scenes ever) they have no place in a Star Wars movie. Two completely different animals there if you get my drift. But I love them equally.

C-3POTheClever

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/showbiz/movies/george-lucas-star-wars-trailer/index.html?hpt=en_c1

I kinda feel bad for Lucas that the Internet is making episode 7 out to be better than the prequels.

I don't get the people who are already making it out to better than the Prequels! Seriously... All we've got is a teaser-trailer! How can they possibly tell how good it's going to be from that? For all they know, it could suck hard! So many people already seem to be behaving like Star Wars is "good again" (though I personally liked the Prequels) after just viewing one trailer!

queeq

~JP~
And there you have it. My love of film is quite simple. If it entertains me, I am good to go. Honestly Star Wars is the only franchise where I tend to be more of a purist about the way it's shot, the tone etc. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

queeq
Because it's in your heart... ;-)

JediRobin23
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I don't get the people who are already making it out to better than the Prequels! Seriously... All we've got is a teaser-trailer! How can they possibly tell how good it's going to be from that? For all they know, it could suck hard! So many people already seem to be behaving like Star Wars is "good again" (though I personally liked the Prequels) after just viewing one trailer!

It's makes out to be a good marketing sceme for the new Star Wars. To distract people from a lucas movie to something without lucas to help justify there movie. People are already on par for a non lucas film it seems

JediRobin23
Here's a clip though showing part of a lucas interview

http://youtu.be/F7CB7sepSsw

queeq
Ah... a snippet is more like it.

~JP~
Because it's in your heart... ;-)

Indeed

queeq
Woot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.