Can a sociopath fall in love?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Reflassshh
Do you think they can?

uscanmexico
Any one can fall in love, that is what love is

Digi
Probably. It's a biochemical thing. A particular psychology might make the possibility more difficult, but imo wouldn't preclude it for certain.

Originally posted by uscanmexico
Any one can fall in love, that is what love is

"Love is 'Any one can fall in love'" - uscanmexico (2015)

Omega Vision
Not really a philosophical question. More a psychology question.

Wonder Man
Falling in love can happen if you believe it can.

Mindset
I don't think they know enough about psychopathy to definitively answer one way or another.

There are also different levels of psychopathy, so while some may, others may not.

SayWhat
Why is it falling. Should not be an arising thing? The falling down part is when things change and become different enough that it's time to move on.

Astner
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Not really a philosophical question. More a psychology question.
But then it wouldn't be as dehumanizing.

Bentley
Nobody can fall in love, hence sociopaths can't either.

Time Immemorial
Look and Oneness, he's one and he falls in love with every girl he meets.

rudester
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Look and Oneness, he's one and he falls in love with every girl he meets. maybe I still got a chance just put on a wig and reintroduce myself as lady Bellamy.

Oneness
Psychos can, they have access to their memories.

Severe amnesiacs or disassociative identity disorders are really a lot more of an assholish relationship than if your partner has a thing for murdering you.

I'd rather be tortured in a dungeon by a psycho than love someone who won't remember me the next day. Which is more dehumanizing, being forgotten, memories made for nothing. All because their thick skull, titanium cranium, can't ****ing think.

Stoic
Originally posted by Reflassshh
Do you think they can?

Not only can they fall in love, but they may fall deeper in love than the average person. Look at Bonnie and Clyde.

Reflassshh
Originally posted by Bentley
Nobody can fall in love, hence sociopaths can't either. Why's that?

Thanks for all your responses guys thumb up

BeyonderGod
Yes many have......

|King Joker|
Do you think they can? Dexter could.

Spawningpool
Do you think they can?
Idk ask robtard

Jmanghan
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Dexter could. Dexter kills Criminals. So, it could be a
said whether he is a sociopath or just someone looking for justice, Red Hood style.

Reflassshh
^ Just because he was taught to. Otherwise he would have been a regular serial killer.

Clovie
Do you think they can? the fact that i don't fall in love makes me a psychopath? huh

Reflassshh
Originally posted by Clovie
the fact that i don't fall in love makes me a psychopath? huh Probably biscuits

But psychopath =/= sociopath.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Clovie
the fact that i don't fall in love makes me a psychopath? huh Yes. You freak.

jinXed by JaNx
By the traditional understanding a sociopath can fall in love
But by not being able to empathize with their partners
Emotional status they could never fully understand or appreciate
The love being shared. They would be entirely self absorbed and concerned only with the love they feel for the other.

Mindset
Probably biscuits

But psychopath =/= sociopath. It's actually the same thing.

Hmm, quick Google search has some saying it's different and some saying they're interchangeable.

Reflassshh
Originally posted by Mindset
It's actually the same thing.

Hmm, quick Google search has some saying it's different and some saying they're interchangeable. There are substantial differences between each, actually.

Mindset
There are substantial differences between each, actually. Did you just stop reading all the first line?

Anyway, in medical journals they have often been used interchangeably, so...

jinXed by JaNx
They're only interchangeable until someone is being diagnosed as being one.

Reflassshh
I didn't saw your edit. stick out tongue

I've only seen them being used as synonyms in media, movies etc, but never in a medical article. Not saying they haven't, just that I never saw it and assumed everyone knew the distinction.

Reflassshh
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
By the traditional understanding a sociopath can fall in love
But by not being able to empathize with their partners
Emotional status they could never fully understand or appreciate
The love being shared. They would be entirely self absorbed and concerned only with the love they feel for the other. thumb up

Do you think a sociopath can have a long, stable and healthy relationship with someone 'normal'?

Mindset
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
They're only interchangeable until someone is being diagnosed as being one. What?

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders classifies them as the same thing under Antisocial Personality Disorder.

https://justines2010blog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dsm-iv.pdf

The DSM is pretty much the psychiatrist Bible published by the APA.

Reflassshh
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

You realize there are various personality disorders right? Plus, that's an old version of the DSM.

Mindset
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

You realize there are various personality disorders right? Plus, that's an old version of the DSM. Yes, I am aware. That also has nothing to do with anything we're talking about. We aren't talking about various personality disorders, we are talking about sociopathy/psychopathy, which are used interchangeably in the DSM and fall under Antisocial Personality Disorder.

It's the 4th edition, that wasn't changed in the 5th edition which is the newest one out. From your link: "The fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), released by the American Psychiatric Association in 2013, lists both sociopathy and psychopathy under the heading of Antisocial Personality Disorders (ASPD)."

The DSM is composed by hundreds of MD's, scientists, and researchers over the years from around the world. It has been around for decades and is published by the American Psychiatric Assoc. Do you realize how insignificant a blog post from someone who is neither a Psychiatrist or even an MD is compared to that? I'm not trying to be a dick here, but come on.

Look at what goes into making the DSM: http://www.dsm5.org/about/Pages/faq.aspx#2
http://www.dsm5.org/about/Pages/DSMVOverview.aspx

It is the foremost authority on psychological disorders at the moment.

Mindset
If you don't want to use the DSM, the ICD-10 also has sociopathy and psychopathy being interchangeable.

http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2015/en#/F60.2

Agusto Pinochet
A sociopath is low caring/dosint care about people but can form connections unlike a pyschopath but generally no.

Lord Lucien
Sentences are hard.

Tattoos N Scars
Quan should be able to answer this question from personal experience.

Surtur
Originally posted by Digi
Probably. It's a biochemical thing. A particular psychology might make the possibility more difficult, but imo wouldn't preclude it for certain.

"Love is 'Any one can fall in love'" - uscanmexico (2015)

This has been proven false. Love is never having to say you're sorry. Just like promises you can't keep are the best kind. Popular culture has taught me these things.

Agusto Pinochet
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2015/02/12/differences-between-a-psychopath-vs-sociopath/

quanchi112
Yes.

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Do you think they can?

Why yes, yes I can. *Rimshot*.

Or if by "sociopath", you mean "everybody"..

Seriously, take a look around. Attrocities like the Third Reich, America's own eugenics programs, or all the horrors of nation vs nation/neighbor vs neighbor (You know, death camps, or more pedestrian things like feuds that last generations) don't happen unless many, many people lack empathy for other people.

But if we assume outliar cases of people who don't even form bonds with family or friends...? Yes. Yes, absolutely they can fall in love. Because the thing about love, is it doesn't require empathy.. only the ability to yearn and desire. And sociopaths can do that just fine.

Ascendancy
Do we mean actual love, or a perception of it? Elements such as wanting the person near, wanting their affection, etc, or truly being in love and the associated at least partial selflessness that comes with it?

I know this is old so I might not get a reply, but ah well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.