Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/20/new-bundle-brings-borderlands-2-and-pre-sequel-to-next-gen

This is going to be released March 24. It includes Borderlands 2, the presequel, and all of the DLC for both for $60. I'm in! I wanted to play the presequel pretty badly.

dadudemon
Pretty dang cool.

Activision/Bungie, are you taking note????!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Quincy
Rad.

BackFire
Sweet, never played the presequel.

Smasandian
It's good. Nothing special but still done pretty well.

The oxygen/low grav environment kind of mixes things up a bit but that's about it.

Kazenji
Another one of these remastered releases...again why did they make new consoles?

Smasandian
Well, it could be like the last few generations where there was a lack of quality games for a couple of years before developers/publishers got there groove on.

I will say that Halo: MCC is fantastic and worth the money. There is a few people out there who haven't played some of the awesome games (all games in general and not specifically Borderlands) and having some sort of collection is worthwhile.

For instance, I never played the God Of War series aside from renting the third one so buying the Complete Saga was great. Also, a lot of this games I have played where I just rented them so getting one collection for the same price is a good thing.

Also, sometimes the games are worth remastering. I would love if Valve remastered Half Life (I know there is Black Mesa but it's not the same thing).

ares834
Still, remastering games that only came out a handful of years ago and on the previous console is silly. I'll admit collections are nice (like the GoW one) and MCC (which did remaster an older game) so I'm fine with this. But remastering games like Resident Evil and, worse yet, The Last of Us is frankly ridiculous.

Quincy
I loved the last of us. I hadn't owned a copy when I played through it, but borrowed a friends. When it came out for PS4, I was excited to own my own copy - and a superior product.

Smasandian
Originally posted by ares834
Still, remastering games that only came out a handful of years ago and on the previous console is silly. I'll admit collections are nice (like the GoW one) and MCC (which did remaster an older game) so I'm fine with this. But remastering games like Resident Evil and, worse yet, The Last of Us is frankly ridiculous.

I agree.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ares834

I do not agree because I think players should get to buy stuff they want (and they clearly buy it).

A few things:

1. The Last of Us not being released on PS4

The Last of Us was released 14 Jun 2013

The PS4 was released 15 Nov 2013

Many people, such as myself, would have purchased a PS4 if that game had came out for the PS4 at launch. Some of us (the last of us, herp derp...lol) had anticipated this happening. Because it was not released at launch with the PS4, we did not buy a PS4. I still do not own a PS4 despite the "remastered" edition being released for the PS4. The whole situation smells of a failed marketing attempt. I think something happened at Naughty Dog-Sony that prevented this game from being released with a proper PS4-ready version. Nintendo has been through many multi-generational launches and seems to have handled those just fine. Heck, even Sony and Microsoft did that quite a bit with their Xbox/XBox 360 and PS2/PS3 game releases straddling the lines, there. The point is, The Last of Us was a highly anticipated, AAA product. Many thought it would be released for PS4 at launch but it wasn't. It was delayed because they focused only on a PS3 development process. There was lots of crying and whining about this fact and many petitioned for a PC release due to being released on "outdated hardware." Surely the designers, artists, and Artistic Director for The Last of Us didn't want to release the game on PS3 with shittier graphics?

Guess what? There's something even more sinister going on, here. The viral marketing for this game started as far back as 2011 and it was touted as a "PS3 Exclusive!!!" Wait, wait, wait...should that not already have sent up a red flag for some gamers who knew the PS4 was touted to be released in a year or two? Why was it already designated as a "PS3 exclusive"? Surely Sony knew about their own PS4 development, right? Right.

Here's why:

The Last of Us was released for PS4 so much later, after the PS3 release, to get more product-name momentum from the entertainment industry. There were the comics, the game DLC, there was soundtrack release (something not new), there was the art book, there was the mini comic, posters, controller skins, t-shirts, stickers, and even umbrellas (lol). They wanted to milk everything possible form this game at the PS3 level before releasing a "remastered" edition. This was on purpose. Marketing the shit out of this game as much as possible at the PS3 level would create the greatest amount of sales at the PS4 level. Bundling the game with PS4's for the "Winter Holidays" was also part of this...and so was the influx of more merchandising for the PS4 game even after launch. The DLC can only take a game so far.

The Last of Us releasing a "remastered" edition was not done because people are just getting itchy to buy an upgraded version of a game that was "just released", it was a very specific kind of marketing scheme that worked VERY well. This worked so well that I think business and marketing majors should study this particular game and how Sony handled it, in college.

2. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Enough time has passed since their previous-gen console releases that it is definitely okay to remaster them and release them. This situation for these games is not the same as The Last of Us. You only need to take a trip to the Gearbox forums and go back far enough to see when the players started begging Gearbox for remastered editions for the up-and-coming consoles. I don't remember how far back it went but I believe the first whining started as far back as early 2013:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/

Also, if people want it, you should be happy that video game companies are putting stuff out there for the players. We need more developers like this. Sony was a bit sneaky and underhanded with The Last of Us, obviously, but players still wanted it (and I still do, but I cannot be arsed to spend so much money on a console and game, just yet (I need more friends on PS4 before I take that plunge)).

Anyway, I did not mean to come off as a dick I just wanted to point out the sneaky shit Sony pulled off with probably their biggest and greatest "last" title on the PS3.

Quincy
When it comes to a remaster or re-release, doesn't everybody win?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quincy
When it comes to a remaster or re-release, doesn't everybody win?

Not if no one wants it and the Publisher loses tons of money on it. Then everyone loses (except the very few select chumps that bought it).

Honestly, I cannot think of a remaster/re-release that was a complete bust. Even the re-release on Star Wars (the one with the hilarious "NOOOO!" in Return of the Jedi) sold by the millions: so many people were furious/angry about that but many more liked it (like me). smile

Smasandian
I think most do all right. I have no problems with collections but remasters can be a bit too much.

Remasters one year in the new console cycle is a tad bit surprising especially when there hasn't been that many new games. I want to buy a PS4 soon and was thinking on what games to buy when I get it and I was like, "well, there's Infamous and Killzone...oh wait there ****ing launch titles" and I couldn't think of one game that was released this winter for it (that I wanted)....but there's 14 remasters of games I just played a year ago.

Kazenji
Be good if they remaster the other Uncharted games before the latest one comes out for new folks.

Arachnid1
I pretty much called it with Dark Souls 2 and Last of Us. I also kind of assumed it for the borderlands presequel. They were all to close to the end of the cycle, and they all claimed they won't be last-gen only.

Now I'm glad I never got Souls 2. Now I can experience it for the first time on next gen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.