ONE POWA! odds thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so, i saw no one opened this so...here it is. here are the chosen powers and users:

Originally posted by Blair Wind
DarkSaint: Darkforce Dimension Portal Teleportation

Digi: City Control

Delph: Technopath

Carver: Weather Manipulation

Leo: Size Manipulation

Smurph: Ability to mimic animal powers

Scoobs: Gravity Control

Reflasshh: Tactile TK

Krisblaze: Radiation Production/Control

Martian: Mirrorworld manipulation

Time: Magnetism

Spawning: Electric

Abhi and celeyhyga17: Super Speed

StyleTime: Telepathy

Sin: Adaptive Evolution

Max: Hazardous material production/control

it's a real-world setting, everyone knows where everyone is within a 50 mile radius and no closer, and it's basically a last-man-standing deal. so, thoughts?

KingD19
Sin should take it. Evolves to beat everybody he fights. If he gets ganged up on though I don't think he can evolve rapidly enough to take on multiple people.

DarkSaint85
Sin evolved a dick, too

"Id"
Smurph
/End

Reflassshh
I bet Sin will beat us all to death with her new developed dick.

The epilogue will be she sitting in a throne in the middle of a city that now resembles to an Scandinavian version of themyscira.

leonidas
Originally posted by KingD19
Sin should take it. Evolves to beat everybody he fights. If he gets ganged up on though I don't think he can evolve rapidly enough to take on multiple people.

no alliances though. everyone for themselves. re: smurph. it's a good pick, but the red doesn't exist in the real world so i think that limits things a little bit. i thought about ivy but....no green. :/ i also thought about forge initially and if i were smarter irl i would have taken metamorpho. lol.

KingD19
Originally posted by leonidas
no alliances though. everyone for themselves. re: smurph. it's a good pick, but the red doesn't exist in the real world so i think that limits things a little bit. i thought about ivy but....no green. :/ i also thought about forge initially and if i were smarter irl i would have taken metamorpho. lol.

Enemy of my enemy mentality. If everybody knows each others powers(that is the basis of my theory) then it would make sense to temporarily work together to take down the person who can beat everybody here.

Also my power is speaking words into reality. Sin is indeed a man now. eek!

leonidas
even enemy of my enemy doesn't work. i agree--darwin is gonna be maybe the toughest out in this thing. even if she's a he. sneer

DarkSaint85
Now?

Also, Id, why did you leave?

Digi
Several picks were made after I took Hawksmoor's ability, so my estimation of my own chances isn't quite as high as it might be otherwise. But I still like my pick.

There are 17 combatants, which gives each of us something 5.88% chance to win. Even if we identify favorites, I think the best we can push someone is to about 15-20%. So even in the best case scenario for a particular character/debater, the odds of them winning are far lower than they are for the rest of the field.

Based on power sets and old tourney history, Scoob, Leo, Smurph, Delph, and myself should be slightly higher than average. Sin seems to be a popular early pick as well, and I can't say I disagree.

Someone's going to have to separate themselves, though, and in a field this large, it's possible for a clever tactic or two to bring a dark horse to the fore, especially if the battle seems to shift toward others taking each other out.

celeyhyga17
My odds of winning are slim to none considering my whole strat relied solely on light speed. I'm nothing for than a flash in the pan. Pun intended. sad

maxivitopowe
I say Digi and Delph are top contenders with DS coming in close second

Scoobless
Originally posted by maxivitopowe
I say Digi and Delph are top contenders with DS coming in close second

You mean third, right?

stick out tongue

Digi
Just a reminder to send yer writeups in, everyone. Blair has four currently, and the deadline is tomorrow. I'd rather have a 17-way battle, not less than half that.

We get - I think - two posts, so 20K characters max.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Digi
Just a reminder to send yer writeups in, everyone. Blair has four currently, and the deadline is tomorrow. I'd rather have a 17-way battle, not less than half that.

We get - I think - two posts, so 20K characters max.

Just because you can use 20k, doesn't mean you have to.

Short and sweet guys, don't bore your judges

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Scoobless
Just because you can use 20k, doesn't mean you have to.

Short and sweet guys, don't bore your judges

Here's mine:

DarkSaint85
Deadline being tomorrow, does that mean they have only a few hours left to get them in?

Get writing, people!! Wonder who the judges will be. My biggest fear is Carver. I dedicated 30k words on him alone. With diagrams, and a rap video.

Scoobless
It'll suck if only 4 or 5 people actually take part after all the talk, not many threads grow that fast.

Anyway, who decides the winner? I doubt anyone will 100% convincingly take out every other competitor, so will it go by numbers?

Eg; player A convinced you he'd kill 7 other players, but player B convinced you he'd kill 8.

So player B wins even if player A convinced you he could kill player B.

Player C killed both A and B but no-one else, so he loses...

krisblaze
Finishing the writeup now guys, prepare!

Scoobless
Or do we try to combine all strategies into one single battle?

A took out B instantly, then moves on to Target F
C, D and E all, independently, targeted A
D used an area attack and by chance kills A, C AND E in one stroke, but saves F
at this point A, B, C and E would all be dead, meaning we need to ignore the rest of their plans....

I smell a cluster f##k coming

whistle whistle whistle whistle

Werewolf582
I'd be a judge if you guys want.

Scoobless
No one reads the bottom post.....

.....Or do we try to combine all strategies into one single battle?

at this point A, B, C and E would all be dead, meaning we need to ignore the rest of their plans....

krisblaze
No one reads the bottom post.....

.....Or do we try to combine all strategies into one single battle?

I'm doing a fairly simple writeup:

My powers

Offensive Strategy:

- offensive ability 1
- ofensive ability 5
- etc

Defensive Strategy:

- defensive ability 1
- defensive ability 5
- etc

Conclusion/Why I win

Scoobless
Originally posted by krisblaze
Conclusion/Why I win

I prefer fiction that has SOME basis in reality

wink

DarkSaint85
Well, if there are only 4/5 players, it wouldn't be THAT difficult to work out who wins.

Based on posters, I'd have assumed more writeups. People like Abhi weren't really posting, and Spawning's new, so some slack would be allowed, I guess.

But the others? Sin, Carver, Time, Celey? Nothing but talk?

leonidas
unfortunately, these types of things are more often than not, always filled with mostly talk.....i doubt bw or the judges would mind. some of those pm's would be LONG and complex. i wonder when the posts will be posted for everyone to see. so that the REAL clusterfukc can really begin. lol

krisblaze
Sorry for taking so long on my writing, I'm hunting this especially elusive scan...

DarkSaint85
DarkSaint: Darkforce Dimension Portal Teleportation

Digi: City Control

Delph: Technopath

Carver: Weather Manipulation

Leo: Size Manipulation

Smurph: Ability to mimic animal powers

Scoobs: Gravity Control

Reflasshh: Tactile TK

Krisblaze: Radiation Production/Control

Martian: Mirrorworld manipulation

Time: Magnetism

Spawning: Electric

Abhi and celeyhyga17: Super Speed

StyleTime: Telepathy

Sin: Adaptive Evolution

Max: Hazardous material production/control

Delph, Smurph, Digi and Scoob are of course, top of the list, due to their minds. I'm hoping Smurph stacks powers, becoming a blue whale sized guy with the proportionate strength of an ant, pistol shrimp punches and bacteria replication.

Others can be a dark horse, due to their power. Some wicked applications of Time's Mags powers, for example.

Sin is actually near the bottom of mine, simply because she cannot choose her powers. She COULD get an awesome power, she could get a useless one. Example: if you tied her up wih rope, she could:

A; become Mr Fantastic and stretch out
B: become the Thing and bust out
C: become the human torch and burn her way out or;
D: develop extra fat pads to cushion her body and protect her from chafing against the ropes.

All four are equally likely, and she could equally develop a useless power as a useful one.

DarkSaint85
Of course, if Smurph by using 'animals', takes all of our powers, would that be allowed? I don't think so, as we weren't 'born' with our powers, but who knows...

krisblaze
Our powers aren't inherent to our species.

I'm not sure if he CAN stack his abilities.

DarkSaint85
Well, if he takes people like Vixen...

Just seen, though, that B-W specifically said no mimics. So there's that. I wonder how many people there are now?

Carver has said he's PM'd B-W for more time. You're going to send yours in a bit. That makes....6?

Who have you got as a fav in this battle?

krisblaze
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Well, if he takes people like Vixen...

Just seen, though, that B-W specifically said no mimics. So there's that. I wonder how many people there are now?

Carver has said he's PM'd B-W for more time. You're going to send yours in a bit. That makes....6?

Who have you got as a fav in this battle?

Martian, if he hands in his writeup.

Mine will be a bit lacking, as I don't have the time to finish today, but I still feel confident that my defense is insurmountable and that my offensive is impossible to defend against smile

DarkSaint85
He was one of the first, IIRC.

I am VERY interested in your write up now!

Existere
I can stack my abilities, and I didn't ask if I could mimic your abilities, because I assume that's illegal as per the 'no Rogues, Mimics, Peter Petrellis' rule.

I'm feeling good about things. I think this is a power that a lot of people want to see used effectively, and at the very least I think my plan will be engaging.

Scoobless
If the time increases for Carver I might add a little more to mine, I kept it pretty short for clarity/simplicity

DarkSaint85
Yeah. I hope he DOESN'T get extra time, a deadline is a deadline. Plus, we've known about it for like a week plus now.

krisblaze
I'm done, do I PM blair with it?

DarkSaint85
Launch systems, all green!

krisblaze
It ended up being a short post for me as well, but them's the breaks.

Good luck to all!

DarkSaint85
There are definitely two tiers present, I think.

1. City/continent sized AoE (your Delphs, Digis, smurph, Carver, Time, Style, the speedsters)
2. Localised effects (so Max, kris - I think, Martian, Sin).

Would be interesting to see how people jump up or down tiers.

Scoobless
What is the actual time of the deadline?

DarkSaint85
11:59

Existere
Mine ended up being pretty brief and to the point, and I'm happy with it. Feels like a crapshoot either way, with so many people involved, but I'm happy that it's fun without requiring an extreme amount of effort or time commitment.

Really curious to see the directions that people went with to win. I'm hoping that there's a wide array of strategies involved- from total defense players to strategic, targeted attacks, to 'destroy everything' plans.

DarkSaint85
Mine was...well, it was medium length, I guess. I didn't hit the word limit. But then, there's only so much you can do with a guy who just opens doors.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Existere
I'm hoping that there's a wide array of strategies involved- from total defense players to strategic, targeted attacks, to 'destroy everything' plans.

wtf is defence?

no expression

Also, I didn't even know who the f#ck you were until I looked in your profile page.

Choose a damn name and stick with it!

Existere
wtf is defence?

no expression For noobs.

I'm in disguise. awesome

DarkSaint85
So THIS is the real reason why Scoob wanted to add to his post.

Existere
So THIS is the real reason why Scoob wanted to add to his post. thumb up

He realized my true identity and submitted a second post conceding defeat.

DarkSaint85
I'm actually operator616; my tactic involves utilizing abstract entities and sentient demon portals from Marvel specials that were printed in 1972.

leonidas
like we wouldn't see that coming. sneer

i like that you left me off your lists too, especially the tier thread.... shifty

leonidas
wtf is defence?

no expression

Also, I didn't even know who the f#ck you were until I looked in your profile page.

Choose a damn name and stick with it!

this is the result when 2 noobs get together. no expression

my write up wasn't very long either. maybe 7000 characters or so. could have used some more time--i had hell trying to find some scans i was looking for--but i like what i came up with a lot. pretty simple but most good plans are.

and smurph, if i'm not mistaken, we still need to hook up for a bz at some point....pm me one of these days and we can try and set something up. i was thinking maybe amalgam characters--body and mind or something. tourneys seem too hard to work with (though i have an idea for one....) but a bz could be fun.

DarkSaint85
like we wouldn't see that coming. sneer

i like that you left me off your lists too, especially the tier thread.... shifty

I have no idea with you. Obvious answer is localised tier; but there are options.

-K-M-
Surprised no one took empathy. Mess with people's emotions and make them love you. Everyone feels. EVERYONE!!! mad Some have telepathy resistance but even smurphs animals feel and its a natural reaction so not like you would adapt to it shifty

With that power maybe then my parents will stop hitti.....errrr never mind.

DarkSaint85
Beatboks chose it, but he dropped out of the thread.

-K-M-
He made a good call thumb up

Existere
and smurph, if i'm not mistaken, we still need to hook up for a bz at some point....pm me one of these days and we can try and set something up. i was thinking maybe amalgam characters--body and mind or something. tourneys seem too hard to work with (though i have an idea for one....) but a bz could be fun. Yessssssss.

I'll PM you. We were looking into Low Herald stuff before, is that still the plan? The tier doesn't really matter to me.

leonidas
Yessssssss.

I'll PM you. We were looking into Low Herald stuff before, is that still the plan? The tier doesn't really matter to me.

low herald or high meta would be cool with me. really, anything would be cool. thumb up

leonidas
I have no idea with you. Obvious answer is localised tier; but there are options.

shifty

Scoobless

He's probably planning to hide until the fighting is over.

stick out tongue

Existere
He's probably planning to hide until the fighting is over.

stick out tongue Yeah, but there are options.

Leo's probably thought of at least six different places to hide.

Scoobless
Yeah, but there are options.

In real world scenarios, his power would be best used for stealth attacks, unfortunately for him we have scanners and various powers that could, potentially, detect him.

Maybe he'll hide inside the body of someone else... instead of being stuck up his own @$$ for a change.

stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue

leonidas
laughing

no expression

no expression

leonidas
Yeah, but there are options.

there were 6....? confused

shifty

krisblaze
Man I'm glad we got smurph, Blair, scoob, etc to post big grin

DarkSaint85
Agreed. Someone who is actually worthy to test my mettle against; to be forged in the white-hot crucible of battle, that is best in life.

leonidas
Man I'm glad we got smurph, Blair, scoob, etc to post big grin

yeah we definitely needed someone to help fill out that second tier of posters... heh

DarkSaint85
So, we will know in 30 minutes!!!!

Who is your fav Leo?

Categories that I see:
1. Best Overall
2. Highest Body Count
3. Best Offense
4. Best Defense
5. Most Entertaining Writeup
6. Most Inventive Power Use
7. Most Ambitious

Scoobless
So, we will know in 30 minutes!!!!

Who is your fav Leo?

Categories that I see:
1. Best Overall
2. Highest Body Count
3. Best Offense
4. Best Defense
7. Most Ambitious
8. Least Carver like

Does body count include innocent civilians?

evil face evil face

krisblaze
Highest body-count is mine yo.

DarkSaint85
Does body count include innocent civilians?

evil face evil face

There are no innocents! Only human bullets!!!

Scoobless
Highest body-count is mine yo.

Interesting.... Presumptuous, but interesting

DarkSaint85
Were you guys going for specific people, or just killing everyone?

krisblaze
Were you guys going for specific people, or just killing everyone?

All life on earth.

Though I doubt I made a convincing enough case. I was down a lot of scans that I needed to fetch from old legion comics sad

DarkSaint85
Haha. I think a fair few of us were going for that.....

Scoobless
Haha. I think a fair few of us were going for that.....

Boring. I was more..... Surgical

smile

Except for the part where I ended all life on earth

no expression

DarkSaint85
Does the surgeon feel guilty for expunging bacteria colonies?

We are like unto GODS!!!!

Galan007
When are you people kicking this thing off?

DarkSaint85
God Blair said that he was posting the entire thread sometime today; he quoted a time of 10:30AM EST, but he could be busy.

krisblaze
Oh shit guys, it's almost up!

DarkSaint85
IT'S ****ING STARTING!

Am surprised more people didn't give their views here. It's essentially a CIS (hopefully), PIS, CIP-off, comic vs thread, with a chance to actually interview the writers afterwards.

So we can actually have a debate with a clear-ish conclusion. None of this 'he was mind-controlled/in a virtual world' sh!tty fight.

Scoobless
IT'S ****ING STARTING!

Am surprised more people didn't give their views here. It's essentially a CIS (hopefully), PIS, CIP-off, comic vs thread, with a chance to actually interview the writers afterwards.

So we can actually have a debate with a clear-ish conclusion. None of this 'he was mind-controlled/in a virtual world' sh!tty fight.

Yeah, mind control is for pu$$!3$

Scoobless
Ok, all strategies are posted.

Who do you think the runner up will be?

(Obviously I won... I mean c'mon, those other guys are just throwing mirrors and stuff, it's kinda sad)

DarkSaint85
I'm quite fond of Leo's, using the scanners against us.

Scoobless

Yeah, that's cool, but by wasting time waiting for carver to come home he is leaving himself vulnerable to others

DarkSaint85
Yeah, but am willing to allow him to get carver first.....

leonidas
laughing out loud

haven't read over anyone's strat yet. as far as who i thought was the fave? i had a hard time deciding. smurph and digi are both very good and unconventional debaters/planners. others like martian had powersets that i couldn't quite predict. i've come to respect (your) ds's debating ability as well. tbh, there were too many variables to REALLY get behind anyone. based on past performance though, it's tough to not think scoob would have come up with something simple and elegant but tough to handle. guess i'll find out when i read through the posts later on. can't wait actually. this was a lot of fun.

StyleTime
These write-ups were really good. I am pleasantly surprised that only Scoob predicted my "I don't need a body, silly" strategy. I didn't see most acount for that.

I hope I at least surprised y'all. Low herald telepathy is way more than just mind control.

DarkSaint85
I always (and still do) see you as a threat; hence the waiting until you're dead lol.

StyleTime
You might be waiting forever. I legitimately don't see who could kill me from the plans presented. Scoob tried for BFR but, assuming it works, I can come back thanks to dimension hopping telepathy. (comics are so cray cray)

That is why I wondered what happens in the case of a stalemate. Several strats were of the "wait safely in X dimension/underground until my opportunity arises" variety.

I'm no judge though, so it's their call I guess.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by StyleTime
You might be waiting forever. I legitimately don't see who could kill me from the plans presented.

That is why I wondered what happens in the case of a stalemate. Several strats were of the "wait safely in X dimension/underground until my opportunity arises."

I can at least go on the hunt with dimension hopping telepathy though. (comics are so cray cray)

Hah, true. Perhaps I should've gone offensively onto you.

I wonder if my chances had been hurt by posting early. Most of my strategy was out in the open for everyone to see; I only added the 'spirit-walking' aspect.

Existere
You might be waiting forever. I legitimately don't see who could kill me from the plans presented. Scoob tried for BFR but, assuming it works, I can come back thanks to dimension hopping telepathy. (comics are so cray cray)

That is why I wondered what happens in the case of a stalemate. Several strats were of the "wait safely in X dimension/underground until my opportunity arises" variety.

I'm no judge though, so it's their call I guess. Well I have a few retorts, as I'm sure the others do, but it would feel like cheating if I started to rebut claims in this thread.

Part of the frustration of a one-post battlezone system is that we don't get a chance to poke holes in each others plans.

Blair Wind
Well I have a few retorts, as I'm sure the others do, but it would feel like cheating if I started to rebut claims in this thread.

Part of the frustration of a one-post battlezone system is that we don't get a chance to poke holes in each others plans.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=607346&pagenumber=76#post15055490

The beauty of this is that the tournament is simply for a resolution based on initial posts. You guys are more than free to rebut claims in the original thread: just know the judges won't be taking that into account.

The tournament may get a victor, but the original thread can go for as long as you guys want to argue about it stick out tongue

DarkSaint85
Oh wait is it considered cheating? If so, I will refrain.

Am sure the judges aren't THAT weak-minded...

Or are they??

I'm hoping Goober swoops in, amalgamates ALL of us into one super being, and we take God Blair down.

Existere
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=607346&pagenumber=76#post15055490

The beauty of this is that the tournament is simply for a resolution based on initial posts. You guys are more than free to rebut claims in the original thread: just know the judges won't be taking that into account.

The tournament may get a victor, but the original thread can go for as long as you guys want to argue about it stick out tongue thumb up

Super cool. I just don't want to look like I'm adding to my post in a different thread.

Digi
Yeah, the most legitimate judgement on the thread might be an endless stalemate between several combatants. Hopefully the judges force us into open combat in their imagined portrayal of the battle.

laughing out loud

haven't read over anyone's strat yet. as far as who i thought was the fave? i had a hard time deciding. smurph and digi are both very good and unconventional debaters/planners.

I actually always thought I was one of the more straightforward thinkers among tourney and BZ regulars, with several others having more abstract creativity than I could muster. There are some unconventional strats that others have come up with (You, Smurph, Blair, Id, etc.) that I never would have thought of. Though I suppose it could go both ways with most good debaters.

Even my strategy with Jack isn't exactly subtle. It's just...big. I consider several others' approaches to be more creative. I just picked the power I could channel the most raw power with, and didn't try for anything sneaky.

Maybe it's not giving myself enough credit, but thanks nonetheless.

DarkSaint85
Digi, I know you had issues with (and called out) my strategy of Sunbusters; hopefully, I had been trying to showcase the potential of a D-list Spidey villain.

Take your point on the actual scans of Spot himself doing it (and we all know I could never find scans of him personally doing what I said I would do); but be honest, were people surprised at my tactics at all?

Existere
I actually always thought I was one of the more straightforward thinkers among tourney and BZ regulars, with several others having more abstract creativity than I could muster. There are some unconventional strats that others have come up with (You, Smurph, Blair, Id, etc.) that I never would have thought of. Though I suppose it could go both ways with most good debaters.
I guess it's all about perspective. I think Leo had the most unconventional strat in the game today, whereas mine by comparison was super straight forward. Both our drafts were a little out-of-the-box I guess, but after that, it became a pretty direct power display.

Digi
Digi, I know you had issues with (and called out) my strategy of Sunbusters; hopefully, I had been trying to showcase the potential of a D-list Spidey villain.

Take your point on the actual scans of Spot himself doing it (and we all know I could never find scans of him personally doing what I said I would do); but be honest, were people surprised at my tactics at all?

I haven't read your newest writeup yet, but I will tonight or tomorrow. I've been rather busy today, and just monitoring chatter instead of reading full strats.

It's kind of our job to call others out on their strategies, whether or not it's a logical extension of their powers. It's the gamesmanship of BZs. So take it with a grain of salt.

I've used Spot and loved the hell out of it. So has Blair, in a high meta tourney, no less (though he was amalgamated with others in both). So yeah, there's some potential. I enjoy seeing you try to push his limits. Just not to the point where you can beat me.

happy

Digi
I guess it's all about perspective.

thumb up

This probably covers all of it. One person's "normal" strat is a foreign language to another, depending on character and power set knowledge.

DarkSaint85
I didn't see a single Hulk-shaped hailstone, or thundercloud, which disappointed me somewhat.

StyleTime
Hah, true. Perhaps I should've gone offensively onto you.

I wonder if my chances had been hurt by posting early. Most of my strategy was out in the open for everyone to see; I only added the 'spirit-walking' aspect.
My original plan was to mind-control you at the start into killing the more mentally resistant folks. I figured there was enough window of opportunity for you dip out so I went for others though.
Well I have a few retorts, as I'm sure the others do, but it would feel like cheating if I started to rebut claims in this thread.

That's why I tried to mind screw you at the start. uhuh Your powerset raised too many question marks for me. I would like to hear everyone's retort in the other thread at some point though.

True. I do remember reading some responses and thinking "No, I can totally counter that with....crap I didn't include that in my post." I wasn't even sure how directly we could address each other, since we were supposed to have no prior knowledge. That said it was immensely fun. Trying to open with your best shot, and knowing it was a free for all.
Yeah, the most legitimate judgement on the thread might be an endless stalemate between several combatants. Hopefully the judges force us into open combat in their imagined portrayal of the battle.

It'd be hilarious if 6 people wind up transported back to our reality getting to keep their powers.

I am disappointed Delph didn't participate. Nearly everyone went through so much effort to include him in their posts. I even made it a point to try and force him to fight you. Seriously, even in real life I'd probably try my hardest to make the mech battle happen. I totally have CIS.

DarkSaint85
I'm obviously the villain who talks too much and gives away the entire plan.

leonidas
lol after reading some of the posts and plans, i'm thinking that maybe a couple of people forgot this was a LOW herald level tourney..... shifty

thank goodness it doesn't much matter to me. big grin

leonidas

btw i saw your first post before edit..... shifty

psycho gundam
So this is a real tournament? sad

StyleTime
Well, it started in the Choose ONE Power thread. Everyone got so interested in it we got Blair to make a mini tournament.

"Id"
I haven't read

I've used Spot and loved the hell out of it. So has Blair, in a high meta tourney, no less (though he was amalgamated with others in both). So yeah, there's some potential. I enjoy seeing you try to push his limits. Just not to the point where you can beat me.

happy

If I had stayed I would transcended into Godhood again

krisblaze
I have no problem with giving the others time to post their strategies.

If they give us their word that they're no adapting their posts to what we've written, then I am okay with that.

Also, lmfao@Leo involving his kids in this ****ed up mess.

leonidas
hey, the chance at world domination doesn't come around every day.... i was DOING it for the kidz. big grin

Scoobless
I do remember reading some responses and thinking "No, I can totally counter that with....crap I didn't include that in my post."

This.

Yeah, we can all say to ourselves "haha, that won't work because...."

But maybe judges won't think of that, because they haven't been rattling ideas about a single power around in their heads for a week.
Or maybe they just have different opinions about power capabilities.

When I saw certain strategies I thought "that will actually help me"

Others made me think "crap, didn't think/know that would/could happen"

Digi
I didn't even realize Delph wasn't among the final entrants. I guess he and I were talking so much, I just lumped our debates in with the rest.

leonidas

Categories that I see:
1. Best Overall
2. Highest Body Count
3. Best Offense
4. Best Defense
7. Most Ambitious

i'll post my own thoughts on this later today and maybe do a quick review of the strengths and weaknesses of the posts just because people seem to like reading that sort of thing. be cool if everyone gave their opinions of the above though, if not general thoughts on strats. smile

Scoobless
Not including myself, and allowing for full strategies, unencumbered by the strategies of others:

1. Best Overall - hard to say, a lot of good stuff here
2. Highest Body Count - short term Carver, long term Krisblaze, he's the superevil version of the monkey from Outbreak.
3. Best Offense - Leo, not the most powerful offence, but due to the scanner piggyback, the most accurate.
4. Best Defense - depending on conditions, StyleTime if he can convince the judges he's immortal and ethereal. If not, Darksaint. Darkforce has a slight edge over mirror power due to not requiring anything external to jump through.
5. Most Entertaining Writeup - Digi, well presented, easy to follow, the odd humourous moment.
6. Most Inventive Power Use - Krisblaze, he's the superevil version of the monkey from Outbreak.
7. Most Ambitious - Smurph, creating a superbug army numbering in the billions, that's ambitious.

Digi
1. Best Overall -
Meh.

2. Highest Body Count -
Kris, pretty easily. Though the planet is ****ed in this battle from everyone doing their thing, even without Kris.

3. Best Offense -
Leo or Smurph.

4. Best Defense -
Style, if the judges buy his plan. Otherwise, Leo. The mirrors and Darkforce dimensions only provide a temporary reprieve. Eventually they have to put themselves on the line.

5. Most Entertaining Writeup -
While I agree with Scoob ( wink ), I enjoyed reading Scoob's writeup. He has a great style in these things, and it's always fun to see him smack everyone around in our hypothetical internet battles.

6. Most Inventive Power Use -
Leo with the GPS trackers.

7. Most Ambitious -
Style or Smurph. Both pushing their powers to the limit in ways that go far beyond what we might otherwise anticipate.

Existere
As above, not including myself, etc...

1. Best Overall
What Digi said.

2. Highest Body Count
Kris for sure, though a lot of these plans would be totally devastating for Earth. Leo should get mentioned for Lowest Body Count, which seems to be a feat.

3. Best Offense
I like Scoob's a lot. Leo's is really inventive, and maybe it's the most dangerous one, but I appreciate that Scoob's is both straight forward and multi-pronged.

I mean, assuming you believe he can do all that stuff. stick out tongue

4. Best Defense
I like Digi's the most. I think, in a lot of ways, he's the hardest to kill in this match.

5. Most Entertaining Write-Up
Leo. Having his kid PM him to Carver? So meta.

Leo for sure.

I would have really liked to see how Delph was going to put his power to use, or what B-Dub would have come up with if he were able to participate.

7. Most Ambitious
Style, although lots of the world-ending plans should get a head nod here too.

Digi
Leo. Having his kid PM him to Carver? So meta.

Yeah, I lol'd. This was the only tactic that caused an internal shakefist at knowing I didn't come up with the family angle that Leo did.

Blair Wind
Leo for sure.

I would have really liked to see how Delph was going to put his power to use, or what B-Dub would have come up with if he were able to participate.

I gave it a little thought, but not enough to know what I'd actually do. If I didn't have to fight for my power and I just got to keep it in the real world, it would probably be teleportation ala Spartan 3.0 (w/Void). Global range, can do third party teleportation without being there (Spartan teleported Grifter, who wasn't with him at the time, to a location that Spartan wasn't in either), and precise enough to change the rotation of objects (so he could re-arrange a living room, for instance). No more airports or cars for me.

Digi
I gave it a little thought, but not enough to know what I'd actually do. If I didn't have to fight for my power and I just got to keep it in the real world, it would probably be teleportation ala Spartan 3.0 (w/Void). Global range, can do third party teleportation without being there (Spartan teleported Grifter, who wasn't with him at the time, to a location that Spartan wasn't in either), and precise enough to change the rotation of objects (so he could re-arrange a living room, for instance). No more airports or cars for me.

I think the problem there is that Spartan w/Void wasn't low herald. We'd have to be fairly selective in saying the power is low herald, even if the character isn't, which I don't think was done for anyone else in the field.

Otherwise, yes, this is pretty potent. For example, I'd be in space, completely removed from a city, in mere seconds. It's exactly what DS wants to do, except it would have a much higher chance of success. And others would lose limbs or heads without even coming close to you.

It's not without credible rebuttals. Telepathy would be an issue, as might Leo and a couple others. But you'd have as much chance as any, and more than most.

leonidas
Yeah, I lol'd. This was the only tactic that caused an internal shakefist at knowing I didn't come up with the family angle that Leo did.

heh

anyway, assuming i had never entered this thing:

Best Overall--> i'll take the 5th like the others. too many variables

Highest Body Count--> likely carver (i guess i'm not sure how kris's smartbombs are supposed to work. confused radiation sickness isn't contagious unless he means he makes them literal huge a$$ bombs but i don't think there was support for that and even that would have limited spread...)

Best Offense--> (most difficult to prevent or counter) style, prolly, scoob maybe, if his strat flies

Best Defense--> style (if it is allowed...) or ds (if it's not)

Most Entertaining Writeup--> digi always cracks me up

Most Inventive Power Use--> smurph (frickin animal man is a monster lol)

Most Ambitious--> scoob, prolly, but style....skirted the edge of the low herald limit methinks (xavier himself should almost certainly be considered mid herald at this point and i wonder about the killability issue he seems to have presented)

some quick thoughts and grades on the strats:

ds--> really well done. enough that i want a bz against you. smile (my praise doesn't get much higher heh) very difficult for most to defend, but...lacks the proof needed imo to say you can open portals through powerful shields (ie, kris's or scoob's). you can say you wait it out and that may be enough to sway judges. i think the spirit would still be detected by the tp guy though, so i don't think you'd have as much time as you hope you would. sunbusters MAY have overstepped though. maybe. overall well thought out and defended. A-

digi--> lots of brute power lol hard to defend against the non-corporeal guys though depending on what judges make of your precog powers. not sure teh defenses are quite enough though. i can see a few REALLY doing a lot of long range damage to the city itself. a little predictable, but....entertaining nonetheless. big grin B+

carv--> actually pretty impressed with what he came up with. thumb up he could certainly take out some here if he himself wasn't taken out. defenses are only pretty good. very much open to ds in particular. he'd kill a LOT of people with basketball-sized hail and cold. maybe over-reached with the scope of his abilities though. still, well done. B

smurph--> loved this post. lol it's a power that allows for a HUGE amount of creativity. it was the only post that, after reading it, made me want to take the powers and come up with something myself! so many cool things. i think he was as well defended as he could have been, but...i just don't know how he could avoid the tp guy. not sure how you could really have accounted for that power. maybe an animal with more than one brain? an octopus perhaps? scoob would also be a very large threat. still, creative and....frightening. lol B+

scoob--> damn, gravity is a b!tch! lol a very ambitious effort. very hard for most to counter. even put some doubt out there regarding the tp guy's being able to get at you. frankly, i have no idea if a tp could get through your shields, regardless. still, a nasty a$$ if straight-forward plan. ridiculously powerful offense that almost no one can defend, very strong defense. A

reflash--> just chose the wrong ability. doesn't have the range. if he can get close to anyone, he may be the most physically powerful of us, but too many weaknesses that could be exploited by too many in the match. might take out a couple but someone would get him before the end. not a bad write up, but the power requires too much close contact to be effective. C

kris--> VERY impressed. as i said above, not sure about the effectiveness of those smart bombs, but an impressive display of offense and defense. i think one of the few of us who can reliably argue against the tp guy given his control over the EM spectrum. also should be able to impact the (controversial) non-corporeal incarnation of style. strong shields, difficult to counter offensive abilities. very well done overall. A-

martian--> very well done. mm was a very cool, outside-the-box choice that i really appreciated. the opening leaves some room for doubt though imo. you still showed some really, good offense, but...seems like a few had some decent counters. defense was very good too though. depends a little on how judges see things. i can see you doing well if certain allowances are made.... B

style--> tp is a REAL biatch to handle in a real world setting. i think only a couple had realistic counters to the tp angle. defense is really strong. too strong? not sure. without the magneto guy here, i guess it will be up to the judges to decide. some creative use of the power though and a very impressive write up. overall, excellent strategy and approach. A

i very very impressed overall with the quality of the posts i read. thumb up

"Id"
And Still Smurph.
His grants him numbers, and adaptability.

Leo really thought out of the box.

Blair Wind
I think the problem there is that Spartan w/Void wasn't low herald. We'd have to be fairly selective in saying the power is low herald, even if the character isn't, which I don't think was done for anyone else in the field.

Otherwise, yes, this is pretty potent. For example, I'd be in space, completely removed from a city, in mere seconds. It's exactly what DS wants to do, except it would have a much higher chance of success. And others would lose limbs or heads without even coming close to you.

It's not without credible rebuttals. Telepathy would be an issue, as might Leo and a couple others. But you'd have as much chance as any, and more than most.

thumb up I let Martian have Manhunter's level of shapeshifting before he tried to regrow organs to become a telepath so at least there is some precedent.

Anyway, playing a game of what one power would you have in real life (in which teleportation was my answer) led to the thread being born in the first place.

Digi
I'd like to point out that over half the entrants in the BZ thread weren't chosen when I picked my power. There were several new additions and changes by existing members. That said, I'm happy with how well my choice holds up.

Existere

smurph--> loved this post. lol it's a power that allows for a HUGE amount of creativity. it was the only post that, after reading it, made me want to take the powers and come up with something myself! so many cool things. i think he was as well defended as he could have been, but...i just don't know how he could avoid the tp guy. not sure how you could really have accounted for that power. maybe an animal with more than one brain? an octopus perhaps? scoob would also be a very large threat. still, creative and....frightening. lol B+
Yeah, hindsight 20/20, I wish I had sunk in more time into a developed TP defense, but with so many powers and players in game, I just didn't predict that telepathy would be a sticking issue for me.

That said, I think the most inventive ideas for tp defense that I've had for Animal Man include:

-Going into total instinct mode, Wolverine style, which has a proven track record against telepaths

-Leveraging the strength of my Animal Nation's hive mind, for a Phalanx-style defense

-Constantly switching from animals of all sorts, so that I don't have a consistent set of brain patterns to brainwash. One second I'm thinking like a T-Rex, the next like a fly, the next like a deep sea extremophile, etc.

If I was allowed one more post for this event, that's what I'd talk about. Also the reasons why telepathy isn't all it's touted to be. Gotta hope that judges are less into 'mindrape ftw' then Style is sly

Digi
I think a lot of us took that standpoint. I got a PM from another member - won't say who - worried about TP. And I was just kinda like "**** it! If that's what takes me down, so be it!" Granted, I do mount a defense against it, and I think it holds. But it was far from my primary concern.

So Style may have reaped the benefits of many of us having the same mentality.

"Id"
Style should have gotten in touch with me. Their is a way to bypass mental defense and boost his formidable psy powers.

Two fold action.

I was contimplatating bio control ala Elixir.

Existere
I finally got to rep Animal Man in this tourney, which has been a goal for a while, so I'm really happy about that.

That said - and I didn't read through the whole thread, so this may have already been brought up - I was kinda tempted to find out if I could get away with choosing Zatanna's backwards magic as my power. I don't have the scans to back that idea up though.

leonidas
Yeah, hindsight 20/20, I wish I had sunk in more time into a developed TP defense, but with so many powers and players in game, I just didn't predict that telepathy would be a sticking issue for me.

That said, I think the most inventive ideas for tp defense that I've had for Animal Man include:

-Going into total instinct mode, Wolverine style, which has a proven track record against telepaths

-Leveraging the strength of my Animal Nation's hive mind, for a Phalanx-style defense

-Constantly switching from animals of all sorts, so that I don't have a consistent set of brain patterns to brainwash. One second I'm thinking like a T-Rex, the next like a fly, the next like a deep sea extremophile, etc.

If I was allowed one more post for this event, that's what I'd talk about. Also the reasons why telepathy isn't all it's touted to be. Gotta hope that judges are less into 'mindrape ftw' then Style is sly

in my post i meant to add that going feral was a pretty good defense. thumb up

and funny you mentioned zatanna--i thought of her but figured no way in hell she'd be under the cap.... i DID seriously consider nico though--magic would have been an even tougher counter than tp. just wasn't sure she had enough feats/firepower to really challenge some of the big guns.

any feat considered above low herald would be ignored by the judges anyway, so even the smallest bolstering would CERTAINLY have put him over the cap.

DarkSaint85
I think one of the biggest eye openers for me was that Prof X was Low Herald. I mean, I am not quibbling with Style's use of him, because I LOVE finding hidden gems like that - am just surprised, that's all.

Animal Man was another good pick as well, I am pleased that Smurph went the bacteria route as I would have done as well.

Leo, neither Digi nor I, when discussing Atom, thought about using the scanners, so muchos kudos. Loved it. Doubt 'magic' would have made the grade, as there would be sooo many powers flowing from it (as kris was stopped from using Cap Britain for the same reason).

Martian, I loved the throat slitting. Didn't know you could do that.

Everyone else, I am happy to say, used their powers as expected. Not a dig, because when your power is 'building a giant ass city mech suit and punching the hell out of things', well, why mess with it?

For me, the most coveted prize is 'Most inventive'. And I award that, personally, to Leo.

krisblaze
low herald is open to so much abuse since it's mainly mindset holding these guys back and not powerset.

That said, Cassandra Nova is in there...smh

leonidas
both cassie and xavier need to be bumped to mid. i think emma would have been a much better choice as template for this tier.

carver9
Charles Xavier could potentially be higher than mid tbh. Hasn't his thought waves been described as moving FTL?

DarkSaint85
He's THE go to guy in terms of Marvel telepaths. You want strength? Hulk. Magic? Strange. TP? X. So to have him so low, when he's dome things like link billions of minds, globally affect people, casually put Phoenix beings to sleep with a word etc....that's surprising.

StyleTime
Uh....I am definitely going with telepathy. Too strong of a choice here, even if it's not a creative power. It should be banned lol.
Tried to warn y'all on page 4 of the original thread. stick out tongue

That said, I did stay within the rules at the time. Everyone but Elias Bogan(unlisted) is a low herald or below. I powerscaled for Bogan, who seems Shadow King/CassNova level in areas.

Odd that Xavier is being singled out though. Powerwise, he's a feat monster, but he wasn't even the crux of my argument. Survivability was more important to me here, and some telepaths lower in power actually have better bodiless/body swap feats to my knowledge(Jean/Emma/U.Psylocke/etc.)

Powerwise, Shadow King crushed Xavier too. I could make the same argument without Charles.

DarkSaint85
Fine, ALL of them are disqualified, happy now????

Scoobless
Fine, ALL of them are disqualified, happy now????

Yes... Yes, I am.

StyleTime
Gotta hope that judges are less into 'mindrape ftw' then Style is sly
I just hope they hate ants.
I think a lot of us took that standpoint. I got a PM from another member - won't say who - worried about TP. And I was just kinda like "**** it! If that's what takes me down, so be it!" Granted, I do mount a defense against it, and I think it holds. But it was far from my primary concern.

So Style may have reaped the benefits of many of us having the same mentality.
I got pretty content to just sneak on by when I noticed noone was paying me much mind. That is why I am disappointed Delph didn't participate. He was pretty confident I couldn't do anything to him. I wasted precious scan space on how I could affect "computer like" brains, which he kept pushing. I wanted to see what the judges had to say.
Originally posted by "Id"
Style should have gotten in touch with me. Their is a way to bypass mental defense and boost his formidable psy powers.

I had some scans, one I used although I didn't make the argument formally. I figured I didn't need to succeed on everyone since it is a free for all.
That said - and I didn't read through the whole thread, so this may have already been brought up - I was kinda tempted to find out if I could get away with choosing Zatanna's backwards magic as my power. I don't have the scans to back that idea up though.
and funny you mentioned zatanna--i thought of her but figured no way in hell she'd be under the cap.... i DID seriously consider nico though--magic would have been an even tougher counter than tp. just wasn't sure she had enough feats/firepower to really challenge some of the big guns.
I was actually afraid someone was going to go the magic route. Could probably **** up a lot of my plans.

Existere
I don't think there's anything about telepathy, or even Xavier, that's gamebreaking here. It's just a pain in a match where we only get one post, because telepathy is an attack on a different front than all the physical tactics, and so it requires time to detail a specific defense.

Same for magic, really.

DarkSaint85
He can open dimensional wormholes with his TP mad that's why my butt is sore.

Although, does that mean EVERY dimension is open to him? Hmmm.

carver9
He can open dimensional wormholes with his TP mad that's why my butt is sore.

Although, does that mean EVERY dimension is open to him? Hmmm.

laughing out loud

Charlotte DeBel
Zee used to be mid-herald last I checked tiers, I actually thought about picking her cousin Zachary and using the combo of my RL linguistic knowledge and pharmacology knowledge, but this is a VERY glass cannon build to telepaths and to pretty much anybody here minus (interestingly) Digi and some other guys. Inorganic matter manipulation can only get you this much.

Existere
What about using Black Alice as a template: 'I can mimic the powers of magic characters that are Low Herald or lower'

awesome

carver9
When are we doing another one of these? I want revenge and I have a power in mind that will do it. 2 powers actually...don't know if one is acceptable. By the way, Hulk is on the tier thread as a low Herald.

smile

leonidas
i def don't think tp needed banning outright. but some of the feats and characters being used to support it? yeah, shadow and cassandra nova (who solo'd the imperial guard....) are well above the ideal limits of this tier imo. not of course that it matters to me much in this thing, but some of the feats, and even the killability factor are certainly an issue. imo.

"Id"
Those with Magnetisim and Radiation powers can fend off Telepathy.

leonidas
yeah i agree. but the mags guy bailed. maybe kris could defend it. scoob maybe as well. the non-corporeal aspect (surviving beyond body death) is an issue though imo. not saying i don't have an answer for it, but i was told immortality was banned and body-death should be enough for a kill--whatever body he is in. least imo.

DarkSaint85
I'm happy to stand in for Time.

'I kill the telepaths. Then DS incredibly takes me out.'

Canon.

leonidas
thumb up

StyleTime
I'm happy to stand in for Time.

'I kill the telepaths. Then DS incredibly takes me out.'

Canon.
laughing out loud
I don't think there's anything about telepathy, or even Xavier, that's gamebreaking here. It's just a pain in a match where we only get one post, because telepathy is an attack on a different front than all the physical tactics, and so it requires time to detail a specific defense.

Same for magic, really.
Certainly. This match could still go to anyone. It is in the judges' hands afterall. This point system could yield some interesting results too. One could have a really strong battle plan that only scores high in a single area, leaving you outpointed by someone else.
i def don't think tp needed banning outright. but some of the feats and characters being used to support it? yeah, shadow and cassandra nova (who solo'd the imperial guard....) are well above the ideal limits of this tier imo. not of course that it matters to me much in this thing, but some of the feats, and even the killability factor are certainly an issue. imo.
There are so many telepaths at low herald and below. I don't consider myself super creative, so I figured having a metric ton of characters to use would help.

Regardless, I hope I'm not punished for any after the fact changes. Everything I did was legal. I even had an iffy time travel argument(comic telepathy is hilarious) that I tossed due to the rules against time shenanigans.

StyleTime
1. Best Overall- Yeah, I am sticking with the tradition of silence. Strong arguments from everyone and the point system is difficult to predict.
2. Highest Body Count - Several could probably go here. Scoob is increasing gravity by 2000% in metropolitan areas. He is going to kill a lot of people. carver9 and his large scale hurricanes will claim many lives as well. Longterm, krisblaze will rack up quite a count though.
3. Best Offense - Again, I can't help but fear the Scoob offense here. Many won't get a chance to fight back when he slams a black hole on top of them at match start. I will mention Reflasshh here too. He can survive much of the initial onslaught due to raw stats. If he runs into someone early on, he's probably going to beat your ass.
4. Best Defense - I can't decide between Digi or DarkSaint85/MartianMind. Digiopolis is being slept on by some imo. He's incredibly difficult to put down. Some powersets seem incapable of harming him at all. Darksaint85 and Martian are more vulnerable...when they are actually in this dimension. They can safely zip in and out of their worlds without most ever noticing. It's basically their avoidance strategy vs Digi's juggernaut defense. Hard to pick one.
6. Most Inventive Power Use - leonidas is having himself pmed to people. It's hard not to put him here. He's also the only combatant to use the tracker against us, iirc. He's a tricky one.
7. Most Ambitious- Existere is definitely the diabolical madman here. He's weaponizing Earth's fauna, will be a physical force himself(immortal too?), and will have legions of herald levelers at his command once he's rolling.

StyleTime
Forgot one.

5.Most Entertaining Write-Up Digi. It had a fun tone, and was quite easy to follow. Digiopolis has charm in spades.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>