How do you view: Force Wounds?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fated Xtasy
So, with the wide variety of views here on KMC, I'm curious as to what you all make of Force Wounds; not necessarily whether they suck, are cool or overrated. But how you think a Force wound works. With the topic being so open to speculation and having some very vague details. I'd like to hear what you all think. Enjoy and discuss.
(I'll post my thoughts when I get on a PC.)

ares834
One of the stupidest concepts in SW. And that's saying something.

Tzeentch
Retarded, just like 90% of the EU and everything that's come out of the Old Republic/NJO eras.

Force wounds don't have a rational explanation for how they work. It's just plot armor lazily turned into an in-universe concept by shitty writers.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
not necessarily whether they suck, are cool or overrated.
Originally posted by ares834
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Retarded, just like 90% of the EU and everything that's come out of the Old Republic/NJO eras.

Tzeentch
Force wounds don't have a rational explanation for how they work. It's just plot armor lazily turned into an in-universe concept by shitty writers. gg

ares834
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/y23Q27K.gif

Fated Xtasy

WildBantha88
Well Nihilus killed a **** ton of people and his power was so great that he could do god like stuff so obviously it does increase their power, however, its not like Nihilus kills one person and suddenly is one level, it takes lots and lots and lots of death to see a significant increase

NewGuy01
Let's just say there's a reason they weren't mentioned in Revan or SWTOR.

FreshestSlice
Here's how they work: they don't. That's why they've never been used again.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Here's how they work: they don't. That's why they've never been used again.

The Merchant
I just see them as really potent Dark-side nexus's that do war more ill to the natural Force then what normal Dark-siders dish out.

FreshestSlice
Yeah, but the Exile isn't a Dark Side Nexus. They're treated like some blackhole in the Force that nothing escapes from.

ares834
Yep, they do what the plot requires while allowing for some very shallow meta commentary.

The Merchant
Welp, there goes my interpretation.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Yeah, but the Exile isn't a Dark Side Nexus. They're treated like some blackhole in the Force that nothing escapes from.

Well, actually, it's kinda-sorta-ish consistent with that idea. If I had to choose, that would be my way of describing it, anyway.

Dark Side Nexuses have been depicted in many different ways, but in some cases they've been consistent with the Exile's traits; Byss and Malachor drained life forces of it's inhabitants. Dagobah's nexus made Yoda's force presence undetectable.

As for the whole Force-bonding thing, supposedly that was something Meetra was dealing with before she became a wound, so...? It kinda makes sense.

But it's a load of BS anyway, for a Jedi to become a fvcking dark side nexus. Especially considering it's miraculously gone and unspoken of in Revan.

Zenwolf
Tbh I never saw any real difference between Surik having the Wound and not having it. The only things I ever got from it was, she was immune to Force Drain....and she could form bonds easily with others.

...That's really all I ever took from it and it's really nothing special.

Sinious
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tbh I never saw any real difference between Surik having the Wound and not having it. The only things I ever got from it was, she was immune to Force Drain....and she could form bonds easily with others.

In Meetra's case, that is kind of enough imo. After all, she was more of a hole than a wound unlike Nihilus. In his case, the whole wound thing found another meaning entirely.

Nephthys

And she was draining the energy from those she bonded with as well as those she slaughtered or fought, which enabled her to become immensely powerful. Far greater than she had been before Malachor. She was also able to learn techniques in mere moments, most probably by siphoning knowledge through these bonds. Her bonding also allowed her to influence the minds of others and shape their personalities as well as partially compel them to follow her.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Nephthys
And she was draining the energy from those she bonded with as well as those she slaughtered or fought, which enabled her to become immensely powerful. Far greater than she had been before Malachor. She was also able to learn techniques in mere moments, most probably by siphoning knowledge through these bonds. Her bonding also allowed her to influence the minds of others and shape their personalities as well as partially compel them to follow her.

How is that any different then studying or having a vast power potential? Luke was also able to learn things at instantaneous rates too without a Force bond.

Couldn't you also influence others, by just speaking to them and sharing your own views and having them follow you?...

I mean I don't get why Surik needed this Force Wound thing, when she could have just had it as just part of her character to begin with...was writing that too difficult so they made something up, when other things could have just achieved the same results?

Emperordmb
I've always thought of force wounds as somebody whose own direct connection to the force was damaged, so they were forced to rely on the connections of others, via drain and bonding.

ares834
I mean I don't get why Surik needed this Force Wound thing, when she could have just had it as just part of her character to begin with...was writing that too difficult so they made something up, when other things could have just achieved the same results?

Like I said its a deconstruction of RPG mechanics so that people think the story is so deep and profound.

Nephthys
How is that any different then studying or having a vast power potential? Luke was also able to learn things at instantaneous rates too without a Force bond.

Couldn't you also influence others, by just speaking to them and sharing your own views and having them follow you?...

It's an unnatural method of doing those things and the Exile learns much quicker than Luke. But moreso Avellone used it as a metaphor for the scars that war truly leaves on people and the world as well as a nifty meta-commentary for gameplay mechanics. The Exile getting more powerful by killing enemies equates to leveling up with more exp.

Kotor 2 didn't make up Force Wounds, the concept existed before the game iirc. Avellone didn't write it this way because it was too hard to do it differently. No offense, but that's stupid. The concept of Force Wounds are intricately tied into the games themes and narrative. Avellone was using it to say things. And to comment on how damaging a war must be to the Force considering that it is so intimately tied into life itself. Also the entire story is based on the Exile's condition. Taking it away would change basically the entire game.

DarthAnt66
The concept of a Force Wound dates all the way back to Kenobi's "I felt a great disturbance in the Force..." quote in 1977. Avellone merely expanded on this idea with actual individuals.

ares834
Because a "disturbance" means a giant black hole the sucks up force like a fat man drinking a slurpy... No, the concept did not exist in anyway similar to how it was presented in KotOR 2.

Zenwolf
It's an unnatural method of doing those things and the Exile learns much quicker than Luke. But moreso Avellone used it as a metaphor for the scars that war truly leaves on people and the world as well as a nifty meta-commentary for gameplay mechanics. The Exile getting more powerful by killing enemies equates to leveling up with more exp.

Kotor 2 didn't make up Force Wounds, the concept existed before the game iirc. Avellone didn't write it this way because it was too hard to do it differently. No offense, but that's stupid. The concept of Force Wounds are intricately tied into the games themes and narrative. Avellone was using it to say things. And to comment on how damaging a war must be to the Force considering that it is so intimately tied into life itself. Also the entire story is based on the Exile's condition. Taking it away would change basically the entire game.

I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it. If she had other things that would make her do the things, the Wound was able to make her do.

I mean, couldn't she have just been very charismatic to others which would then have them follow her? Or having a vast learning curve/Force potential like Anakin/Luke and others? The Wound I just don't see how it makes her different.

DarthAnt66
@ares835: He had a awesomlicious mask so it was okay.

DarthAnt66
I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it.
Going to out on a limb here and say you never played KotOR 2. The entire plot was how Meetra was unique because of her Wound.

Zenwolf
Going to out on a limb here and say you never played KotOR 2. The entire plot was how Meetra was unique because of her Wound.

No I have played Kotor 2 and the things I gathered from it was..

1. She was immune to Force Drain

2. She learned things very quickly

3. People followed her

If there's more to it, then please by all means point it out, because I didn't see much else other than those things.

DarthAnt66
Did you like, mute the dialogue or something?

Zenwolf
Did you like, mute the dialogue or something?

No, although I will admit, it's been awhile since I have played it. But those are the things I distinctively remember.

But if there's something I missed/forgot, I'm asking, point it out and tell me.

DarthAnt66

Zenwolf
Nvrm.

Nephthys
I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it. If she had other things that would make her do the things, the Wound was able to make her do.

I mean, couldn't she have just been very charismatic to others which would then have them follow her? Or having a vast learning curve/Force potential like Anakin/Luke and others? The Wound I just don't see how it makes her different.

Like Ant and I have said, it doesn't matter what Meetra does with the Wound, what matters is it's place in the story. Without the Exile being completely cut off from the Force Traya has no reason to think her special or to be so fascinated in her. And that drastically weakens that aspect of the story, probably would need to completely rewrite Traya to fit around that. It also cuts into the Exile's character. Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan. Or some other generic douchebag Bioware protagonist. Having her instead be a deeply scarred war veteran affected in the Force in incredibly mysterious and strange ways that tie neatly into every single aspect of the plot, on the other hand, is really goddamn interesting and makes the story stronger.

Zenwolf
Like Ant and I have said, it doesn't matter what Meetra does with the Wound, what matters is it's place in the story. Without the Exile being completely cut off from the Force Traya has no reason to think her special or to be so fascinated in her. And that drastically weakens that aspect of the story, probably would need to completely rewrite Traya to fit around that. It also cuts into the Exile's character. Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan. Or some other generic douchebag Bioware protagonist. Having her instead be a deeply scarred war veteran affected in the Force in incredibly mysterious and strange ways that tie neatly into every single aspect of the plot, on the other hand, is really goddamn interesting and makes the story stronger.

/Sigh...

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm wording my posts correctly here. I'll just leave it at that..

DarthAnt66
Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan..
Avellone specifically said in the emails he didn't want the Exile to be like another "all-powerful" Jedi like Revan, but rather something original and unique. thumb up

Nephthys
You're asking why the Exile needed the Force Wound thing. That's why. Because it makes the game better and the story richer.

Zenwolf
You're asking why the Exile needed the Force Wound thing. That's why. Because it makes the game better.

I know that...but I'm not asking why.

Anyway, sorry my posts were worded wrong. So iI'm just gonna leave it alone.

FreshestSlice
The concept of a Force Wound dates all the way back to Kenobi's "I felt a great disturbance in the Force..." quote in 1977. Avellone merely expanded on this idea with actual individuals.
Yeah, which would be fine if that's how Force Wounds are presented in game. Instead, they flipflop between "I feel nothing," to, "I feel screams," to, "You are killing me by standing here and I want you to have my babies/have your babies." Then the ending just rushes through with the absolute minimum of explanations.

The Merchant
In the novelization of A New Hope the disturbance when Aldeeran was destroyed was called a wound.

ares834
Which means little considering how completely different the two are. Furthermore, I searched (ctrl f) for "wound" in the novelization and did not find what you were referring too.

Angelalex242
Wounds in the Force are clearly powerful, but Wounds can be cured by sufficiently strong applications of the Light Side, or destroyed by sufficiently strong applications of the Dark Side. They're never an I win against anybody button.

FreshestSlice
The Exile's Would was healed by letting go of Kreia and destroying Malachor, not using the Light Side. That was a pointless game mechanic that the story chose to ignore anyway. And Nihilus was destroyed by feeding on himself, not being "sufficiently" destroyed.

Angelalex242
I'm more referring to how people in later eras might deal with a Force Wound. How Yoda, GM Luke, or Sidious might deal with one.

Emperordmb
Yoda would probably kill it regardless of alignment. Luke would likely help it if it were a Jedi. Sidious would probably exploit it. GG

NewGuy01
LOL.

"Kill it, we must! Kill it! Kill it!"

DarthAnt66
I laughed out loud reading that. thumb up

The_Tempest
Originally posted by ares834

Force wounds don't have a rational explanation for how they work. It's just plot armor lazily turned into an in-universe concept by shitty writers.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Let's just say there's a reason they weren't mentioned in Revan or SWTOR.

thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.