High-Meta Tournament, anyone interested?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

krisblaze
So after the wonderful One Power tournament, I figured that I'd check and see if anyone's interested in a simple High-Meta and down Tournament?

Nothing's set in stone yet, so maybe we could go with amalgams or something.

For now though I'm just testing the waters to see if anyone's game.

Werewolf582
I'm interested.

One_Angry_Scot
Same.

psycho gundam
Interested

Digi
Not I, but I'll be an (occasional) judge. But get enough to have a rotation. I won't judge every round.

Have you read the tourney host prep post, in the tourney respect thread? Not everything applies to each tourney format, but there's also a lot of relevant considerations if you're going to try to run a full-scale tourney.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8474873#post8474873

Good luck.

Martian_mind
We talking another one-post deal, or a full-scale tournament? My interest is piqued either way.

abhilegend
Count me in.

krisblaze
Okay guys, glad to see we've got some people interested.

Once I get some breakfast in me I'll send out some PMs and we can start hammering out some rules/guidelines.

For now think about whether you want an amalgam tourney or a regular one.

Also, whether you want to do it in the same vein as the One Power tourney, where we get the abilities or a regular one.

Digi, I'll make sure to read that again and I'll have a looksie at some of the other tournaments for dos and don'ts. Curry's tournament actually looked okay, aside from the vanishing act at the end (and some wonky formating maybe....).

Martian_mind
I'd prefer amalgam, with us having the powers. Whatever works for everyone else is fine by me though.

krisblaze
I PM'D quite a few people so now I suppose we wait and see if more are interested while we iron out the rules and whatnot.

I wouldn't mind doing an Amalgam tourney, but I think we should set the cap at 2 characters then, if we're doing high meta and down.

These are the ones who have shown interest in participating thus far:

Participating:

Werewolf582
One Angry Scot
Psycho Gundam
Martian Mind
Abhilegend
Reflassshh
Beatboks

Werewolf582
You should try PMing carver.

Charlotte DeBel
Interested, though don't know whether as a judge or as a participant.

Supermutant
What is this one power tourney I hear of?

krisblaze
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Interested, though don't know whether as a judge or as a participant.
We need both, though this is your chance to have Emma take home a trophy :3

Originally posted by Werewolf582
You should try PMing carver.
I PM'd him and quite a few others.
Originally posted by Supermutant
What is this one power tourney I hear of?

It's in the VS section smile

Reflassshh
The amalgam should be good.

I would like to use low Herald, but I understand, that'd be too much power.

beatboks
If it's not a amalgam, is it going to be solo character or team??

My preference would be amalgam like Curryman's with an addition where we can have

mind of one character
body of another
power of a third
one item of power or weapon

Also with re accepting choices IMO judges should be consulted as to whether characters fit the limits.

krisblaze
I'm thinking something similar to Curry's tourney, but maybe just an amalgam of 2 character as opposed to 3. To keep it simpler and easier to judge.

beatboks
So just a straight merger of everything they have combined??

That works.

krisblaze
I'm thinking just body of one and power of one maybe.

Supermutant
Originally posted by krisblaze

It's in the VS section smile

lol Don't know how I skipped over that.

beatboks
I'm thinking just body of one and power of one maybe.

Only problem there is from which do you get your mind. Can arguments be made that "using that power is difficult and you wont master it". I would suggest that one get's the mind of the power (since really there shouldn't be TOO much difference in wielding a body)

Plus some might actually choose the mind of a character over a power, o a body. Just throwing it out there.

Reflassshh
Hey Kriz, that sounds interesting.

You mean the physiology and passive powers from one and the offensive powers from the other?

carver9
I'm interested. Werewolf...we can do our BZ here.

Werewolf582
Originally posted by carver9
I'm interested. Werewolf...we can do our BZ here.

K. Sounds good.

krisblaze
Reflassh, you can look up currys tourney and one of the others for example.

Carver, Ill probably judge this tourney, but I wont let any previous shit between us affect my judgement

Supermutant
I'm interested in this.

DarkSaint85
And MY AXE!

krisblaze
DS and Supermutant are interested, Damborgson said he was interested on PM.

We've also got Delph on as a judge.

krisblaze
I'll make a new thread once we agree on everything, but for now let's try to determine the amalgamation thing.

Do we want to do the full body + mind + power?

Or just body + mind or power + mind, etc.

As far as powers go:

No time manipulation
No offensive matter manipulation
No instant-death move/indefensible moves
A speed limit (%of lightspeed maybe), MACH 10 or something?
No body-swapping
No denying access to powers/power inhibition

As far as strategy goes:

10-20 seconds relative prep
No automatons/summons
Technology/battle suits must be created in the fight
Tech/Battle suits can not go above high-meta cap
No BFR (Maybe?) I feel like this is kind of boring

Werewolf582
I'd prefer body + mind + power

Also a few qeustions. If we were to pick a telepath as our mind, would that give us TP or do we just get thier mind and nothing else? And with the body, if we pick somone like Shaw for example. Would we get thier powers or just thier durability?

Bentley
What about having the possibility of choosing two characters unamalgamed instead of a fusion? There are probably some cases in which strenght in numbers could be an interesting choice.

Will this be all-genre or just comicbook characters?

Blair Wind
I personally like Body + Power + Mind with the added bonus of having full control of a power. It's no fun to argue that you wouldn't be able to utilize the resources available to you just because you'd be inexperienced.

It'll be interesting if this gets off the ground. Good luck! thumb up

krisblaze
Thanks.

As of now I'm leaning towards Body + Power and then you having full control or whatever.

I'll make a new thread with rules and everything once I get a few more opinions. As of now we've got enough participants, just need a few more judges.

DarkSaint85
Full control.
Body+Power, as the point of a mind is to gain their intelligence, surely (i.e. Pym/Reed). But with full control, we SHOULD be able to utilise XYZ powers effectively.

Having a mind just opens things up to 'Batman finds a way', or 'Reed will just KNOW'.

Existere
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Full control.
Body+Power, as the point of a mind is to gain their intelligence, surely (i.e. Pym/Reed). But with full control, we SHOULD be able to utilise XYZ powers effectively. It's comics, so a lot of minds come with powers.

If you drafted Doom's mind, you should be able to do magic, because that's a learned skill of his.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Existere
It's comics, so a lot of minds come with powers.

If you drafted Doom's mind, you should be able to do magic, because that's a learned skill of his.

Superman didn't learn to fly until he was 18 though (right?) body powers require experience too, if only for control and precision.

Hyperion with the mind of Dr. Strange sounds cool, but could he activate his heat vision? would his gestures be too fast to summon properly?

eek!

krisblaze
How did you handle "experience" in the other amalgam tourneys?

Blair Wind
There was also a mind component and we just allowed the mind to retain it's experience and properties. For instance, if I drafted Tony (mind) and someone like Box (power), I'd instantly be able to create anything that Tony had ever created in the past.

If Strange was the mind, there wouldn't be any reason that he wouldn't be able to do magic (as it was learned).

"Id"
Ok let me draft
Body - Rogue
Mind - Quibit
Power - Sage

Perfectly legal.

embarrasment

evil face

Digi
Originally posted by "Id"
Ok let me draft
Body - Rogue
Mind - Quibit
Power - Sage

Perfectly legal.

embarrasment

evil face

laughing out loud

But seriously, I'm sorry ours never ended. You put together quite a squad.

beatboks
Based on body and power amalgam, you already have mine Kriss

TheLordofMurder
High Meta tournament? Interesting...

Tell me guys, where do you think Dracula tiers? High Meta or Low Herald?

DarkSaint85
LoM, you tell us.

He turns into mist, which you say is the ultimate defence (even to Godzilla and others). You've created threads where he goes up against Namor AND Aquaman. Against WW. Enchantress. Say that he has a one shot kill in his bite. Ultimate hypnosis, that apparently can even turn people like Grandmaster.

krisblaze
I'd have to be the power of "vampirism", but I'm fairly certain I'm going to disallow that due to the wildly different interpretations and depictions smile

I'll post a big post tomorrow with all the finalized rules and whatnot.

Blair Wind
Are you guys doing generalized powers, or a specific character's powers? For a tournament that's actually trying to be a tournament, I'd suggest specific characters - it's easier to manage, to debate for and against, and to judge.

beatboks
I thought it was specific character powers. Thats how I made mine. Too damn hard to debate for otherwise. The likits/restrictions of the character you chose are the likits and only expnded upon if the other half of your amalgam covers a shortfall.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Are you guys doing generalized powers, or a specific character's powers? For a tournament that's actually trying to be a tournament, I'd suggest specific characters - it's easier to manage, to debate for and against, and to judge.
Yes, brainfart on my end.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
LoM, you tell us.

He turns into mist, which you say is the ultimate defence (even to Godzilla and others). You've created threads where he goes up against Namor AND Aquaman. Against WW. Enchantress. Say that he has a one shot kill in his bite. Ultimate hypnosis, that apparently can even turn people like Grandmaster.

Your right...

Dracula is beyond High Meta's...

wink

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Digi
laughing out loud

But seriously, I'm sorry ours never ended. You put together quite a squad.
I'm open for rematch, to be honest. I'm just changing the Powers slot to Leech or some other generic superpowers neutralizer - as my Body pick is totally-non-super by standards of her race it can work on many things while non-handicapping myself.
Just kidding. I'm more likely to be a judge than participate - I got into mixed genre tourneys recently with mixed success...

StyleTime

As far as powers go:
No body-swapping

You all are haters. uhuh

I was totally going to go Body Swap Central on everyone, considering the telepaths at high meta.

beatboks
This still happening ???

Bumpity Bumpity Bumpity Bumpity Bumpity Bump Bump

Not that I'm impatient or anything whistle What the f**k?

Supermutant
I guess this was over before it even started.

Scoobless
Momentum is key...

Supermutant
To those still interested, I suggest a tourney like the excellent and entertaining KMC Secret Wars. With rules similar using 1 low herald and 1 high or lower meta tier amalgam. Doesn't have too be that many participants either.

Werewolf582
To those still interested, I suggest a tourney like the excellent and entertaining KMC Secret Wars. With rules similar using 1 low herald and 1 high or lower meta tier amalgam. Doesn't have too be that many participants either. thumb up count me in

Digi
Feel free to steal our rules. If it's a simple tourney you're after, they're an excellent example of restricting potential loopholes and massive amps.

Might be worth it to shuffle the tiers, though. There's certainly enough variety at the levels we did, but switching things up a little is always good to give people new drafting options.

Supermutant
Originally posted by Digi
Feel free to steal our rules. If it's a simple tourney you're after, they're an excellent example of restricting potential loopholes and massive amps.

Might be worth it to shuffle the tiers, though. There's certainly enough variety at the levels we did, but switching things up a little is always good to give people new drafting options.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. thumb up

Scoobless
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. thumb up

Nope. It's cash!

wink

Supermutant
lol that's what copyrights are for-

krisblaze
Sorry guys I got bogged down with work and work on my thesis.

Want to make it happen, but I don't see myself having the time to organize and drive this thing for now.

Supermutant
Its cool man, Werewolf, myself, you and beatboks or anyone else could get a 4 player tourney going, with a reasonable post limits and some judges.

psycho gundam
Participating:

Werewolf582
One Angry Scot
Psycho Gundam
Martian Mind
Abhilegend
Reflassshh
Beatboks How is this just a 4 player thing now all of a sudden? The rules or lack thereof need to be updated cause it looks like since the 1st page and the 3rd the participants were making the rules to suit their own ends.

Supermutant
Originally posted by psycho gundam
How is this just a 4 player thing now all of a sudden? The rules or lack thereof need to be updated cause it looks like since the 1st page and the 3rd the participants were making the rules to suit their own ends.

This isn't just a 4 player thing or anything as far as I can tell. I was just throwing out an idea based on this thing being stuck in the mud for a while. The people I named was the most recent ones to show interest or respond. Its good that this thread is active again maybe something will come out of it. But whatever this may become, if anything, looks to still be in the planning stage.

Werewolf582
So....When do you feel like starting this Supermutant?

Supermutant
I sent you a pm.

Martian_mind
This still has my interest, if it gets off the ground.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.