Would anyone like to see a Superman TV series starring Tom Welling?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
You know the show Smallville? Wouldn't it be awesome if they did a follow up series about Clark Kent when he is Superman, but make it take place in the same Universe as Smallville, & have Tom Welling play Clark?

Time Immemorial
Absolutely

riv6672
Well, at least he'd be playing closer to his actual age; with the success of Arrow and Flash, which it paved the way for, a Smallville update isnt really that far fetched barring legalities...

Mindship
IMO, though his physique could've been more buff, Welling facially resembled Superman better than any other actor who has so far portrayed Superman. But he was not a good actor. He did not impress me "as Superman" in the final episode of the series. It was quite the letdown.

riv6672
So, no to a Metropolis show, or just Wells in it?
I'm not opposed to re casting, but having Wells would be pretty obvious casting i think, if he wanted to lock himself down to the same character for another multi year run.
No shame there, it worked well for Kelsey Grammer.

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
So, no to a Metropolis show, or just Wells in it? At this point, I am very much into the Man-of-Steel-movie version of the Superman mythos. So unless the TV show followed suit, I say thee, Nay, to a new Superman TV series.

Kazenji
They have continued the show Smallville as a comic, Its even had Green Lantern in it from what i've seen of it.

riv6672
Originally posted by Mindship
At this point, I am very much into the Man-of-Steel-movie version of the Superman mythos. So unless the TV show followed suit, I say thee, Nay, to a new Superman TV series.
Fair enough.
I've always thought of the movies, TV, cartoons, comics, as mutually exclusive. They all stand on their own. I get liking one over the other though.
I'm not ashamed to say i had a huge man crush on Dean Cain (and Teri whatshername) and was a Lois & Clark fan.

Never heard of the Smallville comic till now. Neat.

Time Immemorial
Its too bad Tom Welling isn't acting much anymore, I suspect he made at least 100 million or more off of Smallville and royalties that continue to this day.

-Pr-
I didn't much like most of Smallville, so no, not imo.

Not unless they wrote him differently. Much differently.

Time Immemorial
Tom Welling still should have been given a movie.

Star428
Fair enough.
I've always thought of the movies, TV, cartoons, comics, as mutually exclusive. They all stand on their own. I get liking one over the other though.
I'm not ashamed to say i had a huge man crush on Dean Cain (and Teri whatshername) and was a Lois & Clark fan.

Never heard of the Smallville comic till now. Neat.

I hated the Lois and Clark tv series and Dean Cain was a major reason that I did. IMO, he looked nothing like what Superman is supposed to look like. Tbh, I didn't really like the guy who played Superman in MOS either. Even Brandon Routh was better to me but no one can ever fill the shoes of Christopher Reeve including Tom Welling. Tom was great in Smallville (my all-time favorite tv series) but I don't think he'd ever be a good choice for a Superman feature film. It's hard to find a good actor to play such an iconic character as Superman well.

riv6672
See, i never really watched Smallville, but i enjoyed the eps i saw.
We all have our favorite Superman versions. No one can be wrong on that count. thumb up

-Pr-
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Tom Welling still should have been given a movie.

Honestly disagree.

Star428
See, i never really watched Smallville, but i enjoyed the eps i saw.
We all have our favorite Superman versions. No one can be wrong on that count. thumb up

Ya, I know. I pretty much like all the Superman versions including the animated series and Justice League/JLU but I hated the Dean Caine version

riv6672
I dont mind. More Dean for me! :P

-Pr-
I liked Dean Cain... To a point. I thought he was a terrible Clark, but as Superman, I thought he was decent enough.

Teri Hatcher was an amazing Lois though, imo. Better than Durance and Adams by a long way.

riv6672
I liked Adams Lane.
Bosworth Lane was the worst IMO, though, much like my current opinion of Routh after seeing him on Arrow (and after i saw him in Dylan Dog), that is probably due to the Superman Returns script.
These are good actors playing great characters in a big budget movie with really good FX. The movie as a whole just missed the mark.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by -Pr-
Honestly disagree.

Ok I just watched draft day...I retract my statement.

Star428
Oh, Teri Hatcher was hot. She was the only thing good about the show, imo. The Lois from Smallville pales in comparison but Lana (Kristen Kreuk) was even hotter than Hatcher, imo. I've always had a crush on her since I saw her in Smallville.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Star428
I hated the Lois and Clark tv series and Dean Cain was a major reason that I did. IMO, he looked nothing like what Superman is supposed to look like. Tbh, I didn't really like the guy who played Superman in MOS either. Even Brandon Routh was better to me but no one can ever fill the shoes of Christopher Reeve including Tom Welling. Tom was great in Smallville (my all-time favorite tv series) but I don't think he'd ever be a good choice for a Superman feature film. It's hard to find a good actor to play such an iconic character as Superman well.

Reeves was the best, but we must march on with a new MoS to represent.

I have a feeling Cavil won't be the last Superman, after all Superman is generational for all Time.

Ridley_Prime
I liked Dean Cain... To a point. I thought he was a terrible Clark, but as Superman, I thought he was decent enough.

Teri Hatcher was an amazing Lois though, imo. Better than Durance and Adams by a long way.
thumb up thumb up

I liked Dean Cain better as Clark than I did as Superman though, but to each their own.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
thumb up thumb up

I liked Dean Cain better as Clark than I did as Superman though, but to each their own.

Dean was ok, but no where as good as TW.

-Pr-
I liked Adams Lane.
Bosworth Lane was the worst IMO, though, much like my current opinion of Routh after seeing him on Arrow (and after i saw him in Dylan Dog), that is probably due to the Superman Returns script.
These are good actors playing great characters in a big budget movie with really good FX. The movie as a whole just missed the mark.

Singer was the biggest issue with SR, imo. Bosworth wasn't much better.

I did feel bad for Routh though.

Oh, Teri Hatcher was hot. She was the only thing good about the show, imo. The Lois from Smallville pales in comparison but Lana (Kristen Kreuk) was even hotter than Hatcher, imo. I've always had a crush on her since I saw her in Smallville.

Maybe, but Lana was a total ****.

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
thumb up thumb up

I just don't think he got the whole duality of the character down, personally. His Clark always felt to me like he was a bit smug, like he was constantly thinking "I can't believe you guys are falling for this" and such.

Time Immemorial
MoS has been the only one we seen so far that does not act like a complete ass while in clark kent mode.

Star428
LOL. Lana was not a b****, PR.

Time Immemorial

Yea, Lois was actually a bigger ***** then Lana.

-Pr-
MoS has been the only one we seen so far that does not act like a complete ass while in clark kent mode.

What do you mean?

I didn't say *****. I said ****. And imo, she was. Didn't help that Clark was such a pussy that just let her walk all over him either.

riv6672
Same.
And yes on Singer. I just dont see what he was going for with that project...

Time Immemorial
What do you mean?

I didn't say *****. I said ****. And imo, she was. Didn't help that Clark was such a pussy that just let her walk all over him either.

She wore a necklace with Kryponite around her neck for 7 seasons...no duh. laughing

-Pr-
Same.
And yes on Singer. I just dont see what he was going for with that project...

He was about thirty years too late.

She wore a necklace with Kryponite around her neck for 7 seasons...no duh. laughing

Funny, I thought that was his balls.

Time Immemorial
He was about thirty years too late.

Funny, I thought that was his balls.

Last time I checked he was weak to knite, smallville notoriously so. But still if she was a *****, who cares, he got the right girl in the end.

Star428
Ok, my bad, PR. I miscounted how many asterisks u used.

You make it sound like a girl being a "****" is a bad thing. But, it's ok for guys to sleep around right? roll eyes (sarcastic) LOL. I'm so tired of that double standard and I'm a guy. I don't care even if she was a **** she still gave me wood every time I saw her. smile

Lois (the one from Smallville show, anyway), was not even in her league.

Star428
I also don't understand why that 4-letter word has to be filtered out by the system. Why is that a bad word? It's not a cuss word. Whore isn't filtered out and it's much more derogatory than ****, imo.

riv6672
Censorship is weird.
The word (capital B) itch is bleeped out on a lot of stations when they play Offspring's "Why dont you get a Job" but not when the song "(capital B) itch" by Meredith Brooks gets played.
I just figure a site will bleep out what it wants to.

Mindship
In some of the browser games I've played, the chatroom censor will even "***-out" part of a word. Eg, "cucumber" looks like "cu***ber."

riv6672
Ha, i havent seen that in years! Not since EZBoard! laughing

-Pr-

You make it sound like a girl being a "****" is a bad thing. But, it's ok for guys to sleep around right? roll eyes (sarcastic) LOL. I'm so tired of that double standard and I'm a guy. I don't care even if she was a **** she still gave me wood every time I saw her. smile

I wasn't using the word that starts with S and rhymes with glut.

So no, nothing about any kind of double standard.

The word I had in mind, rhymes more with brunt. Or stunt.

riv6672
Thats very blunt! stick out tongue

-Pr-
laughing out loud I just really didn't like Lana.

Time Immemorial

Glad we agree, Lana was awesome.

Star428
I wasn't using the word that starts with S and rhymes with glut.

So no, nothing about any kind of double standard.

The word I had in mind, rhymes more with brunt. Or stunt.

Oh, ok. I considered for a second that coulda been the word you meant instead but I don't really see what's so bad about that either. I thought all girls were those. I get it though that u don't like her which is fine with me. Not everyone has the same opinions but I'm not sure what you mean by her "walking all over Clark". Granted, I haven't watched an episode in over a year at least but I don't remember her doing anything like that.

Time Immemorial
I find that they still play Smallville and set my dvr to record them. I miss this show a lot.

Star428
I find that they still play Smallville and set my dvr to record them. I miss this show a lot.

Well, I can watch any episode anytime I wish as I have them all on Blu-ray. But, I was taking a long break from watching them to do other things with my spare time because once I start watching them it's hard to stop. They're so damn addictive.

C-3POTheClever
Glad we agree, Lana was awesome.

Her character can be a bit annoying, but she is unbelievably hot!!! I totally get why so many of the guys want her. I don't blame them!

riv6672
You just described 75% of all HS girls!

C-3POTheClever
You just described 75% of all HS girls!
What do you mean? Not all HS girls are hot!

riv6672
laughing

Star428
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Her character can be a bit annoying, but she is unbelievably hot!!! I totally get why so many of the guys want her. I don't blame them!

She never seemed annoying to me. To me she was like a breath of fresh air everytime she showed up.

C-3POTheClever
She never seemed annoying to me. To me she was like a breath of fresh air everytime she showed up.

Personally, I actually thought Chloe was more annoying in season 3, the way she was just always whining about how Clark liked Lana & didn't like Chloe in that way. Does anyone see what I mean there?

Chloe was like a jealous brat in that season. She improves as a character later on though In the later seasons, I even like her.

riv6672
Character development. Its nice when you can change your mind on someone; when they arent static.

-Pr-
Oh, ok. I considered for a second that coulda been the word you meant instead but I don't really see what's so bad about that either. I thought all girls were those. I get it though that u don't like her which is fine with me. Not everyone has the same opinions but I'm not sure what you mean by her "walking all over Clark". Granted, I haven't watched an episode in over a year at least but I don't remember her doing anything like that.

I just didn't like how central she was to so much of what Clark did. I never felt like I could root for the character, or that she was someone that was good for Clark. If anything, I feel like she held him back.

And honestly, while I don't care that she slept with other guys, even Dean Winchester, the whole Lex thing was just ****ing awful imo. She was far too central to the show. I'm not even a huge fan of Durance as Lois, but I never felt like she was taking too much attention from Clark. I didn't love Chloe, but I liked her more than Lana by far.

Kristen Kreuk was hot, sure, but dammit if being such a ***** didn't put me off of her.

on another note, I also didn't like how they made Clark become Superman; like the Superman personality was something he had to take on. "Mild mannered Clark" is supposed to be the creation, not Superman.

riv6672
I always thought of it as Clark becomes Superman, while Batman becomes Bruce...

Star428
I just didn't like how central she was to so much of what Clark did. I never felt like I could root for the character, or that she was someone that was good for Clark. If anything, I feel like she held him back.

And honestly, while I don't care that she slept with other guys, even Dean Winchester, the whole Lex thing was just ****ing awful imo. She was far too central to the show. I'm not even a huge fan of Durance as Lois, but I never felt like she was taking too much attention from Clark. I didn't love Chloe, but I liked her more than Lana by far.

Kristen Kreuk was hot, sure, but dammit if being such a ***** didn't put me off of her.

on another note, I also didn't like how they made Clark become Superman; like the Superman personality was something he had to take on. "Mild mannered Clark" is supposed to be the creation, not Superman.

Well, I guess we have a difference of opinion then on wether Clark or Superman is the real person.. I've always thought of Clark as being who he really is. The small town farm boy who was raised by human parents who taught him human values.

As for Lana, as I said, I understand that you just didn't like her. But, I always looked forward to seeing her and listening to her talk. She also looked really good in a bikini.

Star428
Well, actually...she always looked good in anything to me. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.