Stormtrooper reputation isn't deserved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
So I posted this on the TOR forums and also on CV, though with CV is was more a post rather than a thread topic.

But even still, Stormtroopers DO NOT deserve the reputation they have had for the past 30+ years or so.

Tell me did anyone here actually WATCH the movies?

As in....you knew what was going on with particular scenes involving the OT?

If so...congratulations, you were able to realize something that a vast majority of people have failed to realize and something that has become a meme/joke/whatever, when it's based on a complete lie.

Anyone wanna tell me, what the Empire was wanting to do in A New Hope?

Find the hidden Rebel Base. It's quite clearly noted throughout they were wanting to, that and it's clear that Luke and co were let go. Does anyone recall this conversation?

So tell me....in what logical universe, would it make sense in killing those heading for the hidden base which the Empire is trying to find? Get it?

Now moving on....Endor, people say they lost to Ewoks. While right, this is overblown exaggeration.

The Stormtroopers were sent to capture the Rebel Strike Force...which they did, they were taken by surprise not expecting to be thrusted into a sudden battle.

More to that, not only did the Ewoks have terrain advantage, they also had a crack team of Rebel SpecForce fighters, a Wookiee and a famous gunslinger.

Not to mention, it wasn't until Chewie hijacked an AT-ST that the battle turned around in their favor.

This is both noted in the script

and book novelization

To even further back up Stormtroopers not sucking...does anyone recall this quote?

In episode 1, you had Sand People tagging and even destroying a Podracer.

Before someone brings up the fact, Obi-Wan wasn't at the race. That doesn't matter...he lived on Tatooine for what...20+ years for Luke to grow into a man?

He noted that Sand People ride in single file, he noted on their accuracy. His statement isn't baseless, he clearly has knowledge of Sand People for how long he lived on Tatooine, it's not reaching to figure he had also seen them shoot, otherwise, there wouldn't be any point in making such a statement.

Moving on to further accuracy...on Endor, the speeder bike chase.

You had a Scout Trooper make a ridiculously accurate shot on a speeder bike. Said Scout was able to hit Leia's speeder bike which the bikes they rode on can go up to 310 mph, while he was driving one handed on his own bike.

Also of course, during the bunker battle. You had 2 Stormtroopers blasting R2 and wounding Leia.
======

This is just the movies folks, in the EU, I can give you quite a few things showing Stormtroopers as being a fierce fighting force. They aren't mooks like everyone believes....it wouldn't make any sense for the Empire to have incompetent troops when they are trying to run a galaxy.

Whew...ok, I'm done now.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Zenwolf
So I posted this on the TOR forums and also on CV, though with CV is was more a post rather than a thread topic.

But even still, Stormtroopers DO NOT deserve the reputation they have had for the past 30+ years or so.

Tell me did anyone here actually WATCH the movies?

As in....you knew what was going on with particular scenes involving the OT?

If so...congratulations, you were able to realize something that a vast majority of people have failed to realize and something that has become a meme/joke/whatever, when it's based on a complete lie.

Anyone wanna tell me, what the Empire was wanting to do in A New Hope?

Find the hidden Rebel Base. It's quite clearly noted throughout they were wanting to, that and it's clear that Luke and co were let go. Does anyone recall this conversation?

So tell me....in what logical universe, would it make sense in killing those heading for the hidden base which the Empire is trying to find? Get it?

Now moving on....Endor, people say they lost to Ewoks. While right, this is overblown exaggeration.

The Stormtroopers were sent to capture the Rebel Strike Force...which they did, they were taken by surprise not expecting to be thrusted into a sudden battle.

More to that, not only did the Ewoks have terrain advantage, they also had a crack team of Rebel SpecForce fighters, a Wookiee and a famous gunslinger.

Not to mention, it wasn't until Chewie hijacked an AT-ST that the battle turned around in their favor.

This is both noted in the script

and book novelization

To even further back up Stormtroopers not sucking...does anyone recall this quote?

In episode 1, you had Sand People tagging and even destroying a Podracer.

Before someone brings up the fact, Obi-Wan wasn't at the race. That doesn't matter...he lived on Tatooine for what...20+ years for Luke to grow into a man?

He noted that Sand People ride in single file, he noted on their accuracy. His statement isn't baseless, he clearly has knowledge of Sand People for how long he lived on Tatooine, it's not reaching to figure he had also seen them shoot, otherwise, there wouldn't be any point in making such a statement.

Moving on to further accuracy...on Endor, the speeder bike chase.

You had a Scout Trooper make a ridiculously accurate shot on a speeder bike. Said Scout was able to hit Leia's speeder bike which the bikes they rode on can go up to 310 mph, while he was driving one handed on his own bike.

Also of course, during the bunker battle. You had 2 Stormtroopers blasting R2 and wounding Leia.
======

This is just the movies folks, in the EU, I can give you quite a few things showing Stormtroopers as being a fierce fighting force. They aren't mooks like everyone believes....it wouldn't make any sense for the Empire to have incompetent troops when they are trying to run a galaxy.

Whew...ok, I'm done now.

I know what you mean and yes, technically you're absolutely right.

I just think its more fun to have the Stormtroopers be utterly incompetent. I like it when, for instance, in "Rebels" they can't hit anything. It's like the ninjas in the "American Ninja" movies. It's funny.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by chilled monkey
I know what you mean and yes, technically you're absolutely right.

I just think its more fun to have the Stormtroopers be utterly incompetent. I like it when, for instance, in "Rebels" they can't hit anything. It's like the ninjas in the "American Ninja" movies. It's funny.

But they weren't incompetent to begin with....also they did recently hit 2 protocol droids in the Rebels episode with the Senator.

That's another thing....there are a ton of other bad guys in movies before and after Star Wars that were shown as terrible at aiming and incompetent.

Why aren't they given flak and yet Stormtroopers are not when they never were those things to begin with?

Stigma
Originally posted by Zenwolf
But they weren't incompetent to begin with....also they did recently hit 2 protocol droids in the Rebels episode with the Senator.

That's another thing....there are a ton of other bad guys in movies before and after Star Wars that were shown as terrible at aiming and incompetent.

Why aren't they given flak and yet Stormtroopers are not when they never were those things to begin with?
Because stormtroopers are much more iconic than some random badguys, and such a funny label sticks to them better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.