Best sensory powers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus
Which character has (based on "feats"wink the best sensory/scanning abilities in comics?

Criteria:
-must be quantifiable (no metaphysical mumbo jumbo).
-must be based on the physical world/universe (to be measurable)
-herald level and below only.
-range+specificity/accuracy vs time it takes is what determines the exact "level" of said ability/"feat".
-no amps/resisted "feats"/assisted "feats"/one time-only powers (tho one time only "feats" are allowed to determine top level range of a consistently demonstrated ability).

I'll start:

Surfer scans the universe in one panel:

http://m.imgur.com/oOi9SpY

abhilegend
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Which character has (based on "feats"wink the best sensory/scanning abilities in comics?

Criteria:
-must be quantifiable (no metaphysical mumbo jumbo).
-must be based on the physical world/universe (to be measurable)
-herald level and below only.
-range+specificity/accuracy vs time it takes is what determines the exact "level" of said ability/"feat".
-no amps/resisted "feats"/assisted "feats"/one time-only powers (tho one time only "feats" are allowed to determine top level range of a consistently demonstrated ability).

I'll start:

Superman scans near infinite phantom zone and finds out that it's filled with souls throughout.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/ccf0311201100002.jpg

leonidas
it will come down to superman vs ss as usual.....

abhilegend
At best, both have absurd sensory feats. Superman hearing the vibrations of entire multiverse takes the cake though.

leonidas
it IS tough to top that....

Golgo13
Originally posted by abhilegend
At best, both have absurd sensory feats. Superman hearing the vibrations of entire multiverse takes the cake though.

Scans?

abhilegend
Thor hearing the prayer of gods throughout the time is up there too. It's not a normal sensory feat though.

Nibedicus
Superman scans near infinite phantom zone and finds out that it's filled with souls throughout.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/ccf0311201100002.jpg

This would equal the Surfer's universal "range" but not in specificity/accuracy tho. Bear in mind he scans the entire universe for one specific thing. Kinda like being able to see a huge haystack vs finding a needle within that huge haystack.

Imo, anyway.

KingD19
Heimdall I'm sure deserves to be mentioned.

carver9
Surfer takes this, easily. Next up, Superman. Don't know anyone else who's up there. Gladiator have some good ones as well.

Scoobless
Originally posted by leonidas

Heimdel (sp?)

cool

Nibedicus
Originally posted by KingD19
Heimdall I'm sure deserves to be mentioned.

Ahh, forgot about Heimdal, lol. Does he have any scans of panel "feats"?

abhilegend
This would equal the Surfer's universal "range" but not in specificity/accuracy tho. Bear in mind he scans the entire universe for one specific thing. Kinda like being able to see a huge haystack vs finding a needle within that huge haystack.

Imo, anyway.
But how is that even remotely quantifiable? What would be "the best ice cream in universe" chosen of? Then there is this.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/KMCPhilosophia/multiversevibrations.jpg

Superman can hear the vibrations of entire multiverse and picks out a frequency to cancel out Darkseid. Now that's precision.

Nibedicus
But how is that even remotely quantifiable? What would be "the best ice cream in universe" chosen of? Then there is this.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/KMCPhilosophia/multiversevibrations.jpg

Superman can hear the vibrations of entire multiverse and picks out a frequency to cancel out Darkseid. Now that's precision.

It's possible to do so but theorizing in order to make it completely quantifiable would blow this "feat" even more out of the proportion than it already is (scanning the universe for each person's criteria of taste and then isolating the planet that meets it best).

All we know is that:

-The title narrative that comes from the page that followed specifically mentions that the Surfer finds the best ice cream in the universe (meaning it is not a character statement but is narrative-based, making it 100% confirmed that he DID find the best ice cream in the universe). Here is a scan of said narration:

http://m.imgur.com/fKJbgwp

-That it is far enough that the inhabitants of the planet are unfamiliar with heralds and such and that the Surfer is unfamiliar with the planet as well.
-That he specifically mentions that he used his cosmic senses to find said ice cream.

"The world of the universe vibrate together, Darkseid. And make this... Sound like an orchestra"

-Impressive, how he can pick up the sound on a multiversal lvl but how is that quantifiable (awesome range tho)?
-And it sounds to me that he is simply describing how the multiverse works rather than hearing the totality of it at this time.
-Even if we base it on your interpretation, it doesn't look like he is scanning it at this specific time and he's listening so we don't have a measurement of time here. For all we know, it could have taken him his whole lifetime to "hear" this sound.

abhilegend
It's possible to do so but theorizing in order to make it completely quantifiable would blow this "feat" even more out of the proportion than it already is (scanning the universe for each person's criteria of taste and then isolating the planet that

All we know is that:

-The title narrative that comes from the page that followed specifically mentions that the Surfer finds the best ice cream in the universe (meaning it is not a character statement but is narrative-based, making it 100% confirmed that he DID find the best ice cream in the universe).
-That it is far enough that the inhabitants of the planet are unfamiliar with heralds and such and that the Surfer is unfamiliar with the planet as well.
-That he specifically mentions that he used his cosmic senses to find said ice cream.
Still not convinced. But eh, I'll let it pass this time.

Superman still has a better feat.

ha-som

Nibedicus
Please check the edit. :-p

abhilegend
Please check the edit. :-p
Superman specifically heard the voice of the multiverse in Superman Beyond for the first time. And he dismissed it that time.

Surfer still loses as always.

banana02

krisblaze
Every Superman is tuned to the multiversal vibration in Morrison's multiverse.

Theoretically, anybody with the ability to navigate the ultimate thule should be able to replicate that feat (assuming that they can make sounds like Superman).

Nibedicus
Originally posted by krisblaze
Every Superman is tuned to the multiversal vibration in Morrison's multiverse.

Theoretically, anybody with the ability to navigate the ultimate thule should be able to replicate that feat (assuming that they can make sounds like Superman).

Not sure what you mean by this. :-p

Do you mean he has a form of attunement specific to the vibrations of the multiverse?

Surtur

I'll start:

If he is capable of this then how come in his speed feat with Dr. Strange he has to go search the entire Earth trying to look for something. If he can scan the friggin universe, why'd he have to even move to find something on a lone planet?

psycho gundam
it will come down to superman vs ss as usual..... Once Abhi brings up and defends Superman like a mother Crocodile the thread is lost for good.

"Id"
Lobo sense of smell is pretty high.

Damn I should work on his respect thread

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by "Id"
Lobo sense of smell is pretty high.

Damn I should work on his respect thread
You should.

Now go on... Git!!!

DarkSaint85
Yeah, I was thinking of Lobo, but then it became a Superman thread and I thought, meh.

Nibedicus
Superman specifically heard the voice of the multiverse in Superman Beyond for the first time. And he dismissed it that time.

Surfer still loses as always.

banana02

Now, now. Let's be serious here. This isn't a trolling thread. :-p

IMO, Surfer's "feat" blows Superman's away in the sheer specificity of it as well as the time it took. Also, his "feat" is indisputable as it is supported by the narration.

Superman's "feat", with all due respect, requires a bit of logic stretching of rather vague character statements, has poor specifity and makes no mention of the time it took for him to "hear" the multiverse. Actually, the low specifity of Superman's "feat" alone actually makes Surfer's "feat" far more impressive. It isn't all about range you know.

The Hubble can "see" the "observable universe" simply by "seeing light". The same way that Superman can "hear" the "multiverse" by "hearing vibrations".

Now, take Surfer's "feat". What device can instantly find any one specific thing you want even within a planetary range? Orders of magnitude, dude.

Fact is, we can always see much much much further than we can find things.

Mindset
Daredevil > Superman.

abhilegend
Now, now. Let's be serious here. This isn't a trolling thread. :-p

IMO, Surfer's "feat" blows Superman's away in the sheer specificity of it as well as the time it took. Also, his "feat" is indisputable as it is supported by the narration.

Superman's "feat", with all due respect, requires a bit of logic stretching of rather vague character statements, has poor specifity and makes no mention of the time it took for him to "hear" the multiverse. Actually, the low specifity of Superman's "feat" alone actually makes Surfer's "feat" far more impressive. It isn't all about range you know.

The Hubble can "see" the "observable universe" simply by "seeing light". The same way that Superman can "hear" the "multiverse" by "hearing vibrations".

Now, take Surfer's "feat". What device can instantly find any one specific thing you want even within a planetary range? Orders of magnitude, dude.

Fact is, we can always see much much much further than we can find things.
Da ****? You are arbitrarily taking out Superman's feat because it took "some" time when it's not the case at all. He just heard the sound from the whole multiverse and that "EVERYTHING" is just vibrations. Then he picked out a specific frequency to cancel out Darkseid in one panel. How is that ambiguous or time taking?

And how do we even know that what surfer picked was the best ice cream anyway? How do you define the best ice cream anyway because it's totally subjective to someone's tastes.

And Superman's feat is indisputable since it's backed by y'know actual action and the story.

Nibedicus
Da ****? You are arbitrarily taking out Superman's feat because it took "some" time when it's not the case at all. He just heard the sound from the whole multiverse and that "EVERYTHING" is just vibrations. Then he picked out a specific frequency to cancel out Darkseid in one panel. How is that ambiguous or time taking?

And how do we even know that what surfer picked was the best ice cream anyway? How do you define the best ice cream anyway because it's totally subjective to someone's tastes.

And Superman's feat is indisputable since it's backed by y'know actual action and the story.

"The worlds of the multiverse vibrate together, Darkseid...and make this sound, like an orchestra."

Is an explanation of how the multiverse works. There is no indication that he was listening to the universe right that second. He was hearing Darkseid's vibrations. Sure. I really, really doubt he heard it all just that second.

And Darkseid was right in front of him. It's not too hard picking out an instrument in an orchestra if the player is sitting right in front of you. Again, great range, low specificity.

When a scientist explains that "the universe is mostly empty space", he is not exactly looking at the universe just that second. He knows from previous knowledge via experimentation/observation (that took an unspecified amount of time) that the universe works that way and he is simply explaning it to you.

Essentially, this is how it looks to me.
-Superman knows that the worlds of the multiverse vibrate. From prior knowledge or thru simple inference. If the multiverse DOES vibrate and sound like an orchestra, and you can pick up on it, it would be hard to ignore it really...
-Superman explains this fact to Darkseid.
-Via this concept, Superman "hears" Darkseid's vibration and composes a counter vibration to cancel it out.

And even if we take your interpretation of it (which is disputable, tbh). The sheer specificity of Norrin's "feat" easily trumps Superman's.

As for Norrin finding the best ice cream in the universe:

Narration > all. Especially narration as specific as this that is also backed by character statements the page prior. There is zero room for misinterpretation here. He found the greatest ice cream in the universe, no ifs and buts about it.

As for the "subjectiveness", he could have either scanned Dawn's tastes (which is most likely) and located the greatest ice cream in the universe for it. I'll not go and take "greatest ice cream in the universe" to its extreme literal interpretation as it would blow this "feat" way out of proportion. But if I did, it would rape Superman's "feat" prison style. So I'll not go there. stick out tongue

abhilegend
"The worlds of the multiverse vibrate together, Darkseid...and make this sound, like an orchestra."

Is an explanation of how the multiverse works. There is no indication that he was listening to the universe right that second. He was hearing Darkseid's vibrations. Sure. I really, really doubt he heard it all just that second.

And Darkseid was right in front of him. It's not too hard picking out an instrument in an orchestra if the player is sitting right in front of you. Again, great range, low specificity.

When a scientist explains that "the universe is mostly empty space", he is not exactly looking at the universe just that second. He knows from previous knowledge via experimentation/observation (that took an unspecified amount of time) that the universe works that way and he is simply explaning it to you.

Essentially, this is how it looks to me.
-Superman knows that the worlds of the multiverse vibrate. From prior knowledge or thru simple inference. If the multiverse DOES vibrate and sound like an orchestra, and you can pick up on it, it would be hard to ignore it really...
-Superman explains this fact to Darkseid.
-Via this concept, Superman "hears" Darkseid's vibration and composes a counter vibration to cancel it out.

And even if we take your interpretation of it (which is disputable, tbh). The sheer specificity of Norrin's "feat" easily trumps Superman's.

As for Norrin finding the best ice cream in the universe:

Narration > all. Especially narration as specific as this that is also backed by character statements the page prior. There is zero room for misinterpretation here. He found the greatest ice cream in the universe, no ifs and buts about it.

As for the "subjectiveness", he could have either scanned Dawn's tastes (which is most likely) and located the greatest ice cream in the universe for it. I'll not go and take "greatest ice cream in the universe" to its extreme literal interpretation as it would blow this "feat" way out of proportion. But if I did, it would rape Superman's "feat" prison style. So I'll not go there. stick out tongue
EVERYTHING is just vibrations. Your attempts to wave the feat away are ridiculous.

And here we go again. I'm not interested in your "Let's nitpick every feat to death" routine with nothing but "Eh, I doubt it".

Superman hearing the vibrations of entire multiverse is simply better than surfer's "feat".

That's just a comedic scene. And no explanation to "why" it was the best ice cream and how surfer determined it. But we are supposed to nitpick Superman's feat to death. And no, narration doesn't always trumps in such hyperbolic situations. I can show you narration stating that no force in universe can stop a punch from Superman. Doesn't means much.

erm

You are essentially saying that universal scale>multiversal scale and precision.

Stoic
I have no idea why everyone is so hung up on Superman, and the Surfer? Heimdal takes a giant crap on the both of them combined. This guy can see through dimensions. Imagine if he was looking for you while you were in the john? Seriously though, Angela needed mystical armor to hide from him, while in another dimension recently.

Nibedicus
EVERYTHING is just vibrations. Your attempts to wave the feat away are ridiculous.

And here we go again. I'm not interested in your "Let's nitpick every feat to death" routine with nothing but "Eh, I doubt it".

Superman hearing the vibrations of entire multiverse is simply better than surfer's "feat".

That's just a comedic scene. And no explanation to "why" it was the best ice cream and how surfer determined it. But we are supposed to nitpick Superman's feat to death. And no, narration doesn't always trumps in such hyperbolic situations. I can show you narration stating that no force in universe can stop a punch from Superman. Doesn't means much.

erm

You are essentially saying that universal scale>multiversal scale and precision.

Exactly. The universe/multiverse is just vibrations. You don't have to sense the entire multiverse in seconds to know this. And you don't have to sense the entire universe when you know this and tell it to someone. Proves my point perfectly, actually.

Don't really have a choice in the whole "nitpicking", dude. It just seems like you take some HUGE liberties in your interpretation sometimes. Now if you're right, you're right. But please pardon me if I state my interpretation of the scene as well.

Disagree. Even basing it on your loose interpretation, simply hearing the sound/vibration of the multiverse in its totality does not trump locating one specific thing within a universe. My Hubble example explains this perfectly.

Except that "no force in the universe" have been disproven on panel multiple times as there has been forces in the universe that has stopped him. Thus proving its hyperbole. In this case, Surfer was given a SPECIFIC TASK with a specific means of achieving it. He was to find the literally "the greatest ice cream in the universe" and he was to use his cosmic sense to do it. We know he set off to accomplish this task and the narrative confirms that he accomplished it. There is little room for interpretation here and there is little room for hyperbole as well.

No, I am saying that we can always see/sense far far far far further than we can find/pick out. See: Hubble example.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Stoic
I have no idea why everyone is so hung up on Superman, and the Surfer? Heimdal takes a giant crap on the both of them combined. This guy can see through dimensions. Imagine if he was looking for you while you were in the john? Seriously though, Angela needed mystical armor to hide from him, while in another dimension recently.

Would have to agree if that is what he is capable of. Any on panel scans so we can put this matter to rest?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Yeah, I was thinking of Lobo, but then it became a Superman thread and I thought, meh.

Stoic
Would have to agree if that is what he is capable of. Any on panel scans so we can put this matter to rest?

Wish I had the latest Angela scans to show you, but he was used to track her from dimension to dimension with Thor, and the Warriors Three. Heimdall's sensory powers are probably very close to a Watcher's.

abhilegend
Exactly. The universe/multiverse is just vibrations. You don't have to sense the entire multiverse in seconds to know this. And you don't have to sense the entire universe when you know this and tell it to someone. Proves my point perfectly, actually.

Don't really have a choice in the whole "nitpicking", dude. It just seems like you take some HUGE liberties in your interpretation sometimes. Now if you're right, you're right. But please pardon me if I state my interpretation of the scene as well.

Disagree. Even basing it on your loose interpretation, simply hearing the sound/vibration of the multiverse in its totality does not trump locating one specific thing within a universe. My Hubble example explains this perfectly.

Except that "no force in the universe" have been disproven on panel multiple times as there has been forces in the universe that has stopped him. Thus proving its hyperbole. In this case, Surfer was given a SPECIFIC TASK with a specific means of achieving it. He was to find the literally "the greatest ice cream in the universe" and he was to use his cosmic sense to do it. We know he set off to accomplish this task and the narrative confirms that he accomplished it. There is little room for interpretation here and there is little room for hyperbole as well.

No, I am saying that we can always see/sense far far far far further than we can find/pick out. See: Hubble example.
What the?

You are taking "heard the vibrations" of the whole multiverse as if it's a small deal. It isn't and it just shows how desperate you are.

And what is this "needs to" crap? Superman heard the multiverse and thus he realized EVERYTHING is just vibrations. Not the other way around.

And no, you are just nitpicking it because that's what you always do against any superman feat. I don't see you doing it against any other character. I wonder why?

Just as surfer's universal range senses have failed several times. You are again taking surfer's feat at face value and taking the opposite for Superman's feat.

And Superman didn't see the vibrations of the multiverse. Your analogy is faulty as always. Have fun with the nitpicking though.

-Pr-
Surfer first, Superman second imo.

Then again:

I could just ban those two charries from the thread, tbh.

Scoobless
Aggamoto is supposedly "all seeing" does that extend to whomever has his eye?

Nibedicus
What the?

You are taking "heard the vibrations" of the whole multiverse as if it's a small deal. It isn't and it just shows how desperate you are.

And what is this "needs to" crap? Superman heard the multiverse and thus he realized EVERYTHING is just vibrations. Not the other way around.

And no, you are just nitpicking it because that's what you always do against any superman feat. I don't see you doing it against any other character. I wonder why?

Just as surfer's universal range senses have failed several times. You are again taking surfer's feat at face value and taking the opposite for Superman's feat.

And Superman didn't see the vibrations of the multiverse. Your analogy is faulty as always. Have fun with the nitpicking though.

About as normal as someone who uses his eyes to melt stuff. It's Super hearing taken to its absurd levels. Not a small deal. And I don't recall ever saying that it was...

I'm sure throughout his lifetime the orchestraic song of the multiverse came to him and made him deduce how everything worked. It just didn't happen right this second as he's explaining it to Darkseid. More likely that he understood this concept and used it to come up with the idea to use counter vibrations against Darkseid.

It's a classic comicbook storytelling technique. Hero/villain uses absurd comicbook logic/physics/magic/etc to peform an amazing act. But in order for the reader to understand how he did it, hero/villain first explains the science/logic behind it.

Dude. You came into my thread with the "feat". I disagree with it and you say I'm always against your Superman "feats"? What, we're not allowed to discuss our interpretation of comics/scans in threads we make anymore?

Well, one is pretty much cut and dry and the other requires one to take huge liberties in interpretation to make it plausible.

Um, the difference is that I (and the comic) never said that his senses were infallible. Unlike your narration stating Superman was unstoppable. Has anything stopped Superman before? Yes? Hyperbole.

Surfer found the "greatest ice cream in the universe". The only hyperbole you can possibly complain about is how "greatest" the ice cream is. Not the universe part as the story is very specific about it.

Now if you can find proof that there is indeed a greater ice cream out there in the MU, I will agree about the ice cream hyperbole part. Tho, I don't see how it can help your argument any.

Yeah, he heard it. That's why I included "sense".

maxivitopowe
Watcher

Heimdall

Everyone else

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Surtur
If he is capable of this then how come in his speed feat with Dr. Strange he has to go search the entire Earth trying to look for something. If he can scan the friggin universe, why'd he have to even move to find something on a lone planet?
Comics.

abhilegend
About as normal as someone who uses his eyes to melt stuff. It's Super hearing taken to its absurd levels. Not a small deal. And I don't recall ever saying that it was...

I'm sure throughout his lifetime the orchestraic song of the multiverse came to him and made him deduce how everything worked. It just didn't happen right this second as he's explaining it to Darkseid. More likely that he understood this concept and used it to come up with the idea to use counter vibrations against Darkseid.

It's a classic comicbook storytelling technique. Hero/villain uses absurd comicbook logic/physics/magic/etc to peform an amazing act. But in order for the reader to understand how he did it, hero/villain first explains the science/logic behind it.

Dude. You came into my thread with the "feat". I disagree with it and you say I'm always against your Superman "feats"? What, we're not allowed to discuss our interpretation of comics/scans in threads we make anymore?

Well, one is pretty much cut and dry and the other requires one to take huge liberties in interpretation to make it plausible.

Um, the difference is that I (and the comic) never said that his senses were infallible. Unlike your narration stating Superman was unstoppable. Has anything stopped Superman before? Yes? Hyperbole.

Surfer found the "greatest ice cream in the universe". The only hyperbole you can possibly complain about is how "greatest" the ice cream is. Not the universe part as the story is very specific about it.

Now if you can find proof that there is indeed a greater ice cream out there in the MU, I will agree about the ice cream hyperbole part. Tho, I don't see how it can help your argument any.

Yeah, he heard it. That's why I included "sense".
I have neither time nor patience for this BS.

It happened to him in right that time. He had no reason for picking out Darkseid's vibrations before that. You are taking it like "he was constantly hearing for that specific vibration." He didn't. And no, there is no evidence that he heard the song of the multiverse before Superman beyond where he specifically heard it for the first time.

Yeah, I came into "your" thread. So? And that doesn't applies to Surfer's feat?

Not really. Surfer's feat is much more ambiguous. Just one panel of Narration doesn't makes it infallible truth. You try to pretend it though. Superman's feat is pretty cut and dry though since we can actually determine what he did to achieve the feat. In surfer's case it's just left for imagination.

Did I say Superman was unstoppable via that narration? No. But you are doing it for surfer though, using that narration as absolute truth. It said it was the greatest ice cream. On what basis? It's just as much hyperbole as the superman claim.

And if it isn't greatest, it also throws doubt at how far surfer actually scanned. Since you can't take one part of the sentence and discard other.

That's not my task. And FYI, this is my last post for this "feat". You don't agree with it, I don't give a damn. Have fun with nitpicking.

Nibedicus
I have neither time nor patience for this BS.

It happened to him in right that time. He had no reason for picking out Darkseid's vibrations before that. You are taking it like "he was constantly hearing for that specific vibration." He didn't. And no, there is no evidence that he heard the song of the multiverse before Superman beyond where he specifically heard it for the first time.

Yeah, I came into "your" thread. So? And that doesn't applies to Surfer's feat?

Not really. Surfer's feat is much more ambiguous. Just one panel of Narration doesn't makes it infallible truth. You try to pretend it though. Superman's feat is pretty cut and dry though since we can actually determine what he did to achieve the feat. In surfer's case it's just left for imagination.

Did I say Superman was unstoppable via that narration? No. But you are doing it for surfer though, using that narration as absolute truth. It said it was the greatest ice cream. On what basis? It's just as much hyperbole as the superman claim.

And if it isn't greatest, it also throws doubt at how far surfer actually scanned. Since you can't take one part of the sentence and discard other.

That's not my task. And FYI, this is my last post for this "feat". You don't agree with it, I don't give a damn. Have fun with nitpicking.

And I already said that he did pickup on DS's vibrations on that scene. But there is zero proof in either statement or narration that states that Superman suddenly picked up on the whole vibration of the multiverse all of a sudden. One would think the writer would at least make a tiny effort of being specific if he suddenly had Superman pick up on something very relevant to the story, eh?

I mean how does saying:

Mean that he picked up on something completely new?

How the statement is worded almost literally SHOVES it in your face that he knew of this concept before and he's just stating it matter-of-factly. A concept that AFAIK exists in modern string theory (with a bit of comic-y writer's interpretation thrown in). Kryptonian science + Superbrain + Super senses would tell you that this concept would be almost pre-school for someone like Superman.

Funny thing is you would dismiss Surfer's extremely specific "feat" when he has intention, statements, scene/story and narration backing him due to hyperbole while Superman's "feat" of instantly "hearing the multiverse" (that is not even specifically mentioned in the scan) basing it on nothing but mere vague character statements (how is one "hyperbole" and not the other?) has less validity than Superman's? It boggles the mind.....

How is Surfer's "feat" ambiguous at all??? He SPECIFICALLY mentioned that he was using his cosmic senses to look for the greatest ice cream in the universe. He SPECIFICALLY made the attempt right then and there and the narration SPECIFICALLY mentioned that he found it. And unless you're saying that he was just BSing the whole time (can't cuz narration says he did it), one cannot claim to have found the roundest pebble in the stream without first looking at all the pebbles in the stream....

I guess to you: Superman: vague statements (that doesn't even mention anything about hearing the multiverse right that second) = cut and dry. Surfer: specific statements backed by narration = ambiguous. Yeahhhhh... No.

The basis is the narration says it is. Which means the writer is saying it is. Sorry, but it's not my fault you don't like it....

Well, if that WAS your last word on it:

Surfer > Superman then.

evil face

Mr Master
http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/22409167_Asgard8.jpg

Heindall ... beyond Universe-range optical and auditory senses. thumb up

Nibedicus
Now THAT'S a "feat". Nice one, Heimdall.

Existere
Lockjaw has that text saying that he can 'track a spoor across the cosmos' or something.

Can't find the scan though.

Existere
Oh, and doesn't Shaman Nate Grey have dozens of vision senses or something?

Nibedicus
Scans? I vaguely remember The Nate one. Something to do with Plank time or somesuch but would be nice to read it again.

abhilegend
And I already said that he did pickup on DS's vibrations on that scene. But there is zero proof in either statement or narration that states that Superman suddenly picked up on the whole vibration of the multiverse all of a sudden. One would think the writer would at least make a tiny effort of being specific if he suddenly had Superman pick up on something very relevant to the story, eh?

I mean how does saying:

Mean that he picked up on something completely new?

How the statement is worded almost literally SHOVES it in your face that he knew of this concept before and he's just stating it matter-of-factly. A concept that AFAIK exists in modern string theory (with a bit of comic-y writer's interpretation thrown in). Kryptonian science + Superbrain + Super senses would tell you that this concept would be almost pre-school for someone like Superman.

Funny thing is you would dismiss Surfer's extremely specific "feat" when he has intention, statements, scene/story and narration backing him due to hyperbole while Superman's "feat" of instantly "hearing the multiverse" (that is not even specifically mentioned in the scan) basing it on nothing but mere vague character statements (how is one "hyperbole" and not the other?) has less validity than Superman's? It boggles the mind.....

How is Surfer's "feat" ambiguous at all??? He SPECIFICALLY mentioned that he was using his cosmic senses to look for the greatest ice cream in the universe. He SPECIFICALLY made the attempt right then and there and the narration SPECIFICALLY mentioned that he found it. And unless you're saying that he was just BSing the whole time (can't cuz narration says he did it), one cannot claim to have found the roundest pebble in the stream without first looking at all the pebbles in the stream....

I guess to you: Superman: vague statements (that doesn't even mention anything about hearing the multiverse right that second) = cut and dry. Surfer: specific statements backed by narration = ambiguous. Yeahhhhh... No.

The basis is the narration says it is. Which means the writer is saying it is. Sorry, but it's not my fault you don't like it....

Well, if that WAS your last word on it:

Surfer > Superman then.

evil face
laughing out loud

As if you're the ultimate authority on this. Flash fact, you're not.

Nibedicus
laughing out loud

As if you're the ultimate authority on this. Flash fact, you're not.

Yes yes, so we're in agreement? Surfer wins!

Sweet! wink

abhilegend
Yes yes, so we're in agreement? Surfer wins!

Sweet! wink
Letting you have the last word isn't conceding anything.

It's just the fact that you have the tendency to argue for several pages and you never change your view, even if a mod comes in and tells you otherwise. So why waste time arguing with you?

Nibedicus
Letting you have the last word isn't conceding anything.

It's just the fact that you have the tendency to argue for several pages and you never change your view, even if a mod comes in and tells you otherwise. So why waste time arguing with you?

Hmmm, reminds me of someone I knowwwww....

wink

abhilegend
Look at a mirror sometime.

Nibedicus
Look at a mirror sometime.

I'm willing to take your advice if you are. wink

abhilegend
I know exactly who I am talking about. You seem confused.

Nibedicus
I know exactly who I am talking about. You seem confused.

Haha. Ok. Ok. I'll quit messing with you know before a mod comes in here. Seriously man, you need to mellow out. <3

Anyway, back on topic. So far it's Heimdall leading with the best "feat" admittedly slightly beating out Surfer's.

People have mentioned Lobo and Nate. Scans ppl! We needs em scans!

relentless1
does deadpool/joker breaking the 4th wall count??

Nibedicus
No 4th wall shenanigans pls. Quantifiables only. smile

-Pr-
No Superman or Surfer. There, I said it.

Prof. T.C McAbe
I think Surfer and Superman are ridiculous in that department and equals. But peeps like Heimdall are above them imo. Dawnstar and Lobo are also up there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.