Dear White People

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StyleTime
I just saw this film recently, and feel it deserves a thread. Has anyone else watched it?

Robtard
You racist

marwash22
it's a love letter to you and your ilk, rob.

Lestov16
I heard this film was amazing.

Quincy
Don't let TI see this flick

rudester
What's it about

StyleTime
Originally posted by Lestov16
I heard this film was amazing.
It's great. Really recommend watching it.
Originally posted by rudester
What's it about
Well, thematically, it's about racial identity. I think it succeeds partly because it presents several black characters as unique individuals, rather than the monolithic group black people usually get potrayed as. It's not an attempt to capture everyone's experience, but it's a single, independent film: it accomplished everything it possibly could within those limits.

Storywise, it(primarily) follows the lives of four college students at Winchester University. They navigate a world that attempts to define them in spite of how they may define themselves. And it's done through a fairly entertaining election tale, with some romance subplots thrown in. It manages to avoid feeling cliche too, so that's a plus.

Also, they dissed Tyler Perry. Decrying his garbage made my day.

Seriously, why are you all not watching this right now?

Lestov16
I'll see it at some point. Despite being black, I would far rather watch a sci-fi or action film than a race-themed movie. I can't wait for Interstellar to come to my local theater before it hits DVD, whereas I have practically zero interest in seeing Selma. I only saw 12 Years A Slave because my family was watching it. The Butler looked lame to me.

I will see this though. As stated, I heard it was really good, and any film that insults Tyler Perry must be worth watching. I'll probably catch this before the end of March.

rudester
I'm racist I don't promote blk anything....

Jk could u imagine lol sounds boring not into docs that much..

meep-meep
Originally posted by Quincy

laughing

Though, on a serious note, I'll check this out. I hope it doesn't end in a brawl/riot like Spike Lees' Do the Right Thing. That killed the whole movie for me. Not to mention it reinforced the obvious stereotypes.

iandemel
Being black is huge disadvantage. All those low IQ genes you inherit make being a productive member of society extremely difficult.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Lestov16
I'll see it at some point. Despite being black, I would far rather watch a sci-fi or action film than a race-themed movie. I can't wait for Interstellar to come to my local theater before it hits DVD, whereas I have practically zero interest in seeing Selma. I only saw 12 Years A Slave because my family was watching it. The Butler looked lame to me.

I will see this though. As stated, I heard it was really good, and any film that insults Tyler Perry must be worth watching. I'll probably catch this before the end of March.
One of the kids is a closet Star Trek nerd, although it's not central to the theme.

Unlike the other films you mentioned, Dear White People isn't really about racism. There is some ignorance shown in the movie, but the movie isn't about overcoming racism like Selma is. I'm sure you'll understand when you see it, but it's more about identity in a world that makes "being black" part of your identity. There is more homophobia in the movie than overt racism in the movie, and even that was subdued.

Most of the kids are from relatively privileged backgrounds though, or at least we are led to believe so.
Originally posted by rudester
I'm racist I don't promote blk anything....

Jk could u imagine lol sounds boring not into docs that much..
It's not a documentary, although there won't be any explosions or anything if that is what you wanted. stick out tongue
Originally posted by meep-meep
laughing

Though, on a serious note, I'll check this out. I hope it doesn't end in a brawl/riot like Spike Lees' Do the Right Thing. That killed the whole movie for me. Not to mention it reinforced the obvious stereotypes.
There is no brawl, although there is a take down of something very problematic near the end. I've heard some people describe it as a brawl, which supports a preemptive point made by Sam in the movie.

meep-meep
Originally posted by StyleTime
There is no brawl, although there is a take down of something very problematic near the end. I've heard some people describe it as a brawl, which supports a preemptive point made by Sam in the movie.

I'll give it a watch. Although, it'll be awhile as I'm headed out on a 5 month west coast work voyage. I've read a little about it but not a lot. I'd like to go in watching it with a mostly clean slate. I'll report my ideas later. Thanks ST.

StyleTime
Cool. I didn't want to color people's perceptions too much, in spite of how much I just hyped this thing lol.

rudester
Related off topic.. once many years ago a friend of mine commented on another friend of mine who happened to be a young blk drag queen.. "it isn't hard enough that he's Gay black but he's short, dresses in women's clothing and try's to pass himself off as a teen girl.. Man life must be difficult for him." I laugh so hard...

Time Immemorial

Whats stupid about comments like this is I have black family members. And that somehow because I am against black community leaders like Sharpton I somehow don't like black people. I tend to believe they dont want progression into a race free state and want to keep blacks segregated.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Whats stupid about comments like this is I have black family members. And that somehow because I am against black community leaders like Sharpton I somehow don't like black people. I tend to believe they dont want progression into a race free state and want to keep blacks segregated.

I agree but I think Quincy was just rustling your jimmies for a laugh. Sharpton, is a scumbag, as are quite a number of other religious "leaders"Granted, I think Sharpton really seems to, purposely or not, plant his fat ass right in the center of issues that he exacerbates negatively. He seems to do it more than most others. Or maybe just that's how I percieve it. I really need to turn off the news for long periods. Otherwise, I get sorta pissed like I'm starting to get now. Lol.

Tzeentch
The obnoxiousness of the title kept me away from it- I'll probably give it a view when I see it on Netflix though.

meep-meep
thumb up
Yeah. That's why I'm skeptical to see it to. Insert any other group of people in "white" and there would be people pissing their pants. Come to think of it, I'm sure someone is going to be upset this title. Ill still see it though, eventually.

Quincy
oh is that what rustling jimmies means? I thought everyone rustling each others jimmies was that you were fondeling one another. I was way off

marwash22
Originally posted by meep-meep
thumb up
Yeah. That's why I'm skeptical to see it to. Insert any other group of people in "white" and there would be people pissing their pants. Come to think of it, I'm sure someone is going to be upset this title. Ill still see it though, eventually. i don't think this is a spoiler...

"Dear White People" is the name of the main character's on-campus radio show; the provocativeness of the title is brought up to her and answered in what i thoguht was a smart way.

i'll put it spoiler tags:

“How would you feel if someone started a ‘Dear Black People?'”

“No need. Mass media from Fox News makes it clear what white people think of us,”

Mindset
I love white people.

marwash22
Originally posted by Mindset
I love white people. why wouldn't love your own, whiteset?

oh is that what rustling jimmies means? I thought everyone rustling each others jimmies was that you were fondeling one another. I was way off never knew what that meant, but i assumed it has something to do with the anus.

Mindset
Originally posted by marwash22
why wouldn't love your own, whiteset?

I'll murder you, chomper.

marwash22
http://gifsoup.com/view/110653/hurt-my-feelings-o.gif

meep-meep
oh is that what rustling jimmies means? I thought everyone rustling each others jimmies was that you were fondeling one another. I was way off

No. It does mean that.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Mindset
I love white people.

Maybe you love colors, and hate commas.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.