Pixels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
XAHprLW48no

Lestov16
An Adam Sandler movie that might actually be funny. Have we traveled to another universe?

KingD19
Originally posted by Lestov16
An Adam Sandler movie that might actually be funny. Have we traveled to another universe?

Nah, we just traveled back to the 90's when he was still funny on his own.

I do have a high regard for Grown Ups 1 & 2 though. Those movies are pretty funny.

Quincy
Originally posted by KingD19
I do have a high regard for Grown Ups 1 & 2 though. Those movies are pretty funny.

Ew gross that joke is awful

Lestov16
Something tells me Tyrion will be the highlight of the movie. I just hope they don't use his dwarfism as a constant gimmick and that there aren't too many GoT references.

Jmanghan
Grown-ups 1 and 2 are what "This is the End" tried to be.

A box office success, but not critically acclaimed.

Though Stone Cold Steve Austin was pretty funny in it.

Quincy
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Grown-ups 1 and 2 are what "This is the End" tried to be.

What

Jmanghan
OH GOD, no, other way around, sorry.

Kazenji
I'm looking forward to the movie despite how Adam Sandler has been currently with movies

also Chris Columbus (Home Alone 1 & 2, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone & Chamber of Secrets) is directing hoping he can save it.

Impediment
Boo for Adam Sandler and Kevin F*cking James.

Yay for Chris Columbus and video game nostalgia.

Nemesis X
Only movie I can recall Kevin James ever being funny in is Hitch and that was back in 2005.

Tzeentch
I'm glad to know to KMC shares my contempt for Adam Sandler. I cringed when his face appeared.

Now we just need Marwash to hop in here with an ermm smiley and say he doesn't mind Adam Sandler. thumb up

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Boo for Adam Sandler and Kevin F*cking James.

Yay for Chris Columbus and video game nostalgia.

This sums it up well.

marwash22
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm glad to know to KMC shares my contempt for Adam Sandler. I cringed when his face appeared.

Now we just need Marwash to hop in here with an ermm smiley and say he doesn't mind Adam Sandler. thumb up
mhmm

bermm

where'd you get that from? I've shitted on every Adam Sandler movie he's made in the last five years or so, with most of them looking so terrible that i refused to watch them.

I Love his earlier movies (Big Daddy, Waterboy, Billy Madison, etc.).

The only movie that the majority seems to hate that i will always defend is "Spanglish".

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Only movie I can recall Kevin James ever being funny in is Hitch and that was back in 2005. "Here comes the boom" is pretty funny, but it was direct-to-video.

marwash22
Only movie I can recall Kevin James ever being funny in is Hitch and that was back in 2005. after King of Queens, i haven't found Kevin James the least bit funny or entertaining in anything. Paul Blart was fuccin' terrible, can't believe people liked it, really can't believe it's getting a sequel.

Dreampanther
I recently saw The Cobbler and though I hate to say it, I actually thought Adam Sandler was decent in it. When he isn't trying so hard to be funny he is a lot more tolerable. As for Pixels, it should be fun, even if it is just for the 90's memories.

Kazenji
Not even Chris Columbus could save this movie

its a dud going by the reviews.

marwash22
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I recently saw The Cobbler and though I hate to say it, I actually thought Adam Sandler was decent in it. When he isn't trying so hard to be funny he is a lot more tolerable. saw that too. I agree that it was surprisingly good.

I disagree with the "trying so hard to be funny" bit, though. Imo, the problem is that he's an absolutely horrible writer and producer.

BrainSturgeon
Imdb rating 4.9
rottentomatoes rating 3.8

I don't think lot og people will watch this movie or like this movie.

Nephthys
From what I hear this movie is roughly the equivalent to cranial rape.

Q99
"Critics Consensus: Much like the worst arcade games from the era that inspired it, Pixels has little replay value and is hardly worth a quarter." -Rotten Tomatoes

I mean, the concept isn't that bad- Look at the Futurama episode with the arcade aliens, or Wreck-It Ralph.

But... this movie has to compete in a world that has Wreck-It Ralph and the Futurama episode.

Quincy
BFD2293oGvA

Spoilers

"Pixels isn't a movie. It's a ****ing active crime scene."

Q99
Soo.... I sense Moviebob may not have enjoyed this one...

Lestov16
Sucks. With all the marketing and Colombus directing, I thought this would finally be Sandlers comeback. Sadly, based on reviews, it's more typical Happy Madison fare.

Patient_Leech
Shit reviews or not, this looked awful just from the few glances I've seen of the trailers on tv. No interest in this whatsoever. In fact it makes me think less of Peter Dinklage.

Kazenji
Read an article about how Sony made this movie even lamer just to appease Chinese Authorities.

Flyattractor
Well we do have to keep our Lord and Masters happy ya know...

Q99
Weak opening. I like Box Office Mojo's breakdown. 'It could be for this reason or that reason or the other reason. But it was probably because everyone said it was crap.'

Article

Originally posted by Kazenji
Read an article about how Sony made this movie even lamer just to appease Chinese Authorities.

Lesse... China appeal isn't necessarily bad1, but... (checks)

Article- they just removed a scene of the Great Wall. And moved some scenes.

Hm, you know... I bet the Chinese would rather see themselves featured. It sounds to me like a pointless subtraction that didn't help appeal at all.

On the flip side, there's benefits to not appearing in Pixels....

1: See, say, Pacific Rim. Give 'em a giant Chinese robot, wreck up Hong Kong, and watch the sales numbers soar.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Q99
"Critics Consensus: Much like the worst arcade games from the era that inspired it, Pixels has little replay value and is hardly worth a quarter." -Rotten Tomatoes

I mean, the concept isn't that bad- Look at the Futurama episode with the arcade aliens, or Wreck-It Ralph.

But... this movie has to compete in a world that has Wreck-It Ralph and the Futurama episode.

I thought, Pac-man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and centipede were some of the best arcade games, hmm...,

dynamix
seen earlier today. I don't know, i'm gonna have to go against the grain because i liked it...and i'm not even an adam sandler fan lol! Thought it was pretty funny and it had this old 50's alien invasion vibe about it. I can totally see this being a cult favorite in time.

Jmanghan
Only movie I can recall Kevin James ever being funny in is Hitch and that was back in 2005.

I liked "Here Comes The Boom", which was during 2012.

Lestov16
From what I can tell from in depth reviews, it's one of Happy Madison's best films, but still is a rather mediocre comedy. Not horribly unwatchable, but not exactly good either. Just average. This seems like the kind of film I'll watch at my matinee theater for three bucks, instead of paying $10 to see it at the mall. Sounds like it could possibly make for a good guilty pleasure though.

Sucks because with the concept, they could have had the perfect formula of comedy, suspense, and audience nostalgia to make for a blockbuster hit. Sadly, the scriptwriter dropped the ball.

Kazenji
Guess they should'eve left it as a short film until a "good" scriptwriter came along.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Lestov16
From what I can tell from in depth reviews, it's one of Happy Madison's best films, but still is a rather mediocre comedy. Not horribly unwatchable, but not exactly good either. Just average. This seems like the kind of film I'll watch at my matinee theater for three bucks, instead of paying $10 to see it at the mall. Sounds like it could possibly make for a good guilty pleasure though.

Sucks because with the concept, they could have had the perfect formula of comedy, suspense, and audience nostalgia to make for a blockbuster hit. Sadly, the scriptwriter dropped the ball. So, it's up there with the Hilarious "Happy Gilmore"?

Because I loved that movie.

Inhuman
The problem I see with Sandler is that he has lost his drive he once had.

In his early films, happy gilmore, billy madison, the waterboy, etc, You can tell he genuinely was having fun making those movies. He even had his personal friends be regular characters in his movies. The jokes were funny because they were creative and the humor seemed to come natural.

His later movies seem to have lost this, and became more business like. Like hes just churning them out without the same kind of enthusiasm and drive. Just to make some quick cash.

Or it could be that he grew out of the "aggressive angry man child" character he played in his early movies. Now he is a hack that makes below average movies.
His routine got old. Even though it was once hilarious.

Jmanghan
I liked Big Daddy, 50 First Dates, and Mr. Deeds.

Inhuman
I liked Big Daddy, 50 First Dates, and Mr. Deeds.

Those were still pretty good. But after those is were things went downhill. I think Anger Management was one of the last Sandler films i enjoyed.

*edit* Hotel Transylvania he was decent as the voice of Drac

Jmanghan
Actually, Little Nicky, his worst movie, was earlier in his career.

Inhuman
Actually, Little Nicky, his worst movie, was earlier in his career.

I dont know. Little Nicky wasnt that bad. It was funny in a bad stupid kind of way.
I think erm
Haven't seen that movie in ages.

Jmanghan
Little Nicky is considered his worst movie by almost everybody.

Martian_mind
Little Nicky is a masterpiece, you ****ing philistines.

Jmanghan
**** Off, Little Nicky sucks, n00b.

Quincy
Critical reception of his catalogue show far worse films than Little Nicky if you're bringing in "almost everybody."

Apparently a big problem with this film is it's treatment of the actual material. Using nostalgia and references to beloved things but not actually caring about the things in any meaningful way. Much like "The Big Bang Theory."

"Oh you don't like PIXELS? But you LOVE video games! That's crazy!"

Of course every stereotype of quote unquote geek gamer culture is appropriated throughout across nonsensical breaking of their own movie universe rules run rampant alongside sexism and the pandering of LOOK AT FROGGER YOU PLAYED FROGGER FROGGER EXISTS.

Martian_mind
**** Off, Little Nicky sucks, n00b.

Get your taste checked son, there's something off. Waaay off.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.