Can Star Wars: TFA beat Avengers: AOU at the box-office?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

playa1258
Does Star Wars have a chance?

Inhuman
Sure it can. Will it? Not sure.
One thing is for sure though, both these movies will make a shit ton of money.

playa1258
Well Star Wars has the December release going for it. Either way Disney is laughing to the bank.

Time Immemorial
Yes it will beat Avengers, its Star Wars..

playa1258
Everyone said AOTC would beat Spider-man. Spidey smashed it.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by playa1258

Doubt it. TFA won't be in 3d.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Doubt it. TFA won't be in 3d.

I prefer 2d over 3d honestly.

DARTH POWER

To be fair, that was the worst and least hyped of the Prequels, whilst Spiderman 2002 was the first big screen Spidey, so there was massive more hype for that.

TPM though had massive hype and that became the 2nd biggest movie (at the time) behind Titanic.

But now Avengers 1 is the 3rd biggest movie of all time after Avatar and Titanic. So good money would be on Avengers: AOU Imho.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I prefer 2d over 3d honestly.

Yeah I'm not a fan of 3d either, but it does inflate ticket prices by a good margin.

playa1258
As for as I know Star Wars will be in 3-D, if not, than yeah Avengers has a big advantage.

BruceSkywalker
Age of Ultron will debut to at least $200 million on opening weekend and finish up with at least $2 billion,, while Star Wars will put up Hobbit type numbers

playa1258
No way Star Wars Only does $300 million domestic and some change. It's low end is $400 million domestic.

Impediment
The Avengers made almost twice as much as Episode III. Then again, the PT was very underwhelming.

My money is on Age of Ultron to be the superior film, both financially and for entertainment. Then again, Episode VII is going back to the roots of Star Wars and might just be an even bigger smash hit than already anticipated.

playa1258
Avengers is the favorite right now and I don't see that changing.

Lestov16
Quite honestly, I'm thinking Star Wars will be the bigger BO draw. Winter time is a massive help, as evidenced by Avatar, and people will be going not just for entertainment, but to judge if JJ managed to undo the terribleness of the prequels, not to mention (for hardcore fans) to see if the retconning of the EU was justified. If the movie is good, people will love it. If it's bad, people will love bytching about it. Either way, I think it is more anticipated IMO.

Another thing is that AOU is the adaptation of a story already told in comics, whereas TFA will be entirely new, so that gives it an edge in anticipation IMO

playa1258
It also will be the first Star Wars film to take advantage of the expanded OS markets. When ROTS came out only two films at the time did over 1 billion.

zeel

nope.

Jmanghan
LOL, watch this one be worse then the prequels.

relentless1
Avengers has a great audience no doubt but EVERYONE will flock to see a new Star Wars, a Star Wars that will have the original gang in it. TFA will win the box office title this year

playa1258
Originally posted by Jmanghan
LOL, watch this one be worse then the prequels.

If that happens Abrams will be downed by sniper fire.

Jmanghan
Better make sure dem Lens Flares don't take your eye out smile

playa1258
Lightsaber battles will no doubt be full of the lens flare.

Jmanghan
The Villain is gonna be like the guy from that Dungeons and Dragons movie. I'm not expecting much from this.

|King Joker|
Does Star Wars have a chance? It can and will.

Mindset
No, it can't and it won't.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lestov16
Quite honestly, I'm thinking Star Wars will be the bigger BO draw. Winter time is a massive help, as evidenced by Avatar, and people will be going not just for entertainment, but to judge if JJ managed to undo the terribleness of the prequels, not to mention (for hardcore fans) to see if the retconning of the EU was justified. If the movie is good, people will love it. If it's bad, people will love bytching about it. Either way, I think it is more anticipated IMO.

Another thing is that AOU is the adaptation of a story already told in comics, whereas TFA will be entirely new, so that gives it an edge in anticipation IMO Avengers has a much bigger audience.

SW won't win.

Q99
Originally posted by relentless1
Avengers has a great audience no doubt but EVERYONE will flock to see a new Star Wars, a Star Wars that will have the original gang in it. TFA will win the box office title this year

Avengers had a hype train built up over the course of four prior movies itself, and a reputation for quality at that point.

SW has a chance but it's no guarantee, or even that high of odds I'd say.

ares834
Originally posted by Mindset
Avengers has a much bigger audience.

SW won't win.

"Much bigger audience"? Nah. TPM adjusted for inflation made almost as much as the Avengers and of course the original SW film made far more.

Admittedly, I except AoU will make more but it's no guarantee. Especially with the original cast returning.

playa1258
Domestically it is going to be much closer, WW Avengers has to suck hairy ass to lose.

Mindset
Originally posted by ares834
"Much bigger audience"? Nah. TPM adjusted for inflation made almost as much as the Avengers and of course the original SW film made far more.

Admittedly, I except AoU will make more but it's no guarantee. Especially with the original cast returning. TPM was the first SW movie in like 20 years, how did the following 2 movies do? I'm guessing not so well. The last 3 SW have left a sour taste in people's mouths. There was more anticipation for TPM than there is for this new one coming out.

Marvel movies have been earning more and more money. AoU will likely top the first.

Also, at this point, Avengers does have a bigger audience.

playa1258
ROTS was the number one film of its year, and its first weekend did $108 million AFTER opening on a Thursday.

Mindset
ROTS was the number one film of its year, and its first weekend did $108 million AFTER opening on a Thursday. Cool.

It made ~50million less than TPM.

playa1258
TPM did lots of damage I agree. I feel with the original cast returning and the word of a much improved film by Abrams, I feel Star Wars has a chance.

ares834
TPM was the first SW movie in like 20 years, how did the following 2 movies do? I'm guessing not so well. The last 3 SW have left a sour taste in people's mouths. There was more anticipation for TPM than there is for this new one coming out.

RotS did very well actually. Regardless, this film is the sequel to the OT and has the original cast returning which will be a big help. I certainly expect numbers nearer to TPM then the other two. And if the film is actually good, I'm expecting numbers beyond TPM.

Also, at this point, Avengers does have a bigger audience.

Sure. Just not "much bigger."

Dr Will Hatch

I thought smashing was the other guy's job.

Dr Will Hatch
Episode VII be like the J.J Star Trek movies: Serviceable, but forgettable. Whether you liked The Avengers or not, Joss Whedon has got a style to his writing and directing that is memorable. All J.J has is lens flare.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Impediment
The Avengers made almost twice as much as Episode III.

I think Episode I's box office is more relevant. If we account for over a decade of inflation TPM Box office was probably approx the same as Avengers (I would guess).

Then again, the PT was very underwhelming.

Episode I had the major hype and box office, but then Episode 3 was the best of the series. That can only help Ep.7 that the Prequels ended well Imho. Plus now we're getting the Original trio back, that will only increase the hype for this.

Interesting that Ep. 7's trailer got more hits than Avengers AOU though.

All that being said, AOU will beat Ep. 7 by a few hundred million Imho. I think the real question is if Star Wars 7 can make as much as the Original Avengers.

DARTH POWER
The last 3 SW have left a sour taste in people's mouths.

Actually Revenge of the Sith was generally well received. And add in 10 years of inflation and 3d ticket prices, it was probably the equivalent of a Billion Dollar hit in today's term (or at least very close to it).

Anyway you're right. Avengers AOU will beat it. But SW7 will also make well over a Billion Imho.

As for as I know Star Wars will be in 3-D, if not, than yeah Avengers has a big advantage.

Ah right, It's being filmed in 2d which is why I thought that, but it appears it will be converted to 3d post-production. Should have known Disney wouldn't miss out on 3d ticket sales after spending $4bill on getting SW:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Filming-With-IMAX-Cameras-43801.html

playa1258
Thanks for the replies.

ares834
Bump. shifty

Quincy
Might be some tone changers

Darth Thor
Won't even be close tbh.

ares834
Domestically? No doubt. But Star Wars is still relatively untested WW.

Still, I certainly think it will make more though.

quanchi112
It will definitely beat it. Age of Ultron was a letdown anyways. The force is with me, friends.

Darth Thor
Domestically? No doubt. But Star Wars is still relatively untested WW.

Still, I certainly think it will make more though.

I meant it won't be close, in that SW will beat it.

EP7 and A1 might be closer, but EP7 should definitely beat AOU Imho.

playa1258
Star Wars is going to win easily.

quanchi112
Star Wars is going to win easily. I also believe it will beat Batman vs Superman. Star Wars has already broken records. I'll be seeing it Thursday at 7pm.

ares834

Darth Thor
^ $2 Bill is possible. I wouldn't count anything out at this stage. But Jurassic World/A1 type figures is all but guaranteed IMO.

playa1258
Star Wars will do over 2 billion l, BvS around Avengers numbers.

BruceSkywalker
The Force Awakens should clearly make at least $ 2 billion worldwide....

Darth Thor
^ Will be Awesome for Star Wars to be the biggest movie franchise again.

ares834
Best to keep expectations in check lest this film be labeled a "disappointment" like AoU.

quanchi112
Best to keep expectations in check lest this film be labeled a "disappointment" like AoU. AOU clearly made a huge profit but I label it a disappointment in terms of quality. Abrams directed and help mold the new trilogy landscape so trust me it's going to be spectacular.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Will be Awesome for Star Wars to be the biggest movie franchise again.

it should be...

Best to keep expectations in check lest this film be labeled a "disappointment" like AoU.

the "disappointment dumbness only comes from a marvel hater lmao... besides there is no way possible a film making over $ 1 billion dollars is a disappoint.. that is just moronic/stupidity talk

ares834
Originally posted by quanchi112
AOU clearly made a huge profit but I label it a disappointment in terms of quality. Abrams directed and help mold the new trilogy landscape so trust me it's going to be spectacular.

Quality wise I agree. But I've seen a lot of people claim it was a disappointment box office wise as well simply because it failed to meet their lofty expectations.

jaden101
The PG-13 rating might dent the numbers a bit AoU probably would've done even more if it a better movie. A lot of potential repeat viewers might not have happened. I do think SW will creep over it but not by much. 10 million or so

playa1258
Pg13 rating won't affect Star Wars at all.

playa1258
Boxoffice.com predicting a $215 million ow and $762 million domestic total.

jinXed by JaNx
The Avengers made almost twice as much as Episode III. Then again, the PT was very underwhelming.

You also need to factor in how much more prominent 3-d and Imax has become since then

I don't think episode 7 will have any problem in out grossing, Avengers

Darth Thor
The Prequels ended on a good note with "Revenge of the Sith" IMO which would help the goodwill for SW as a franchise. And there is a generation of Prequel fans who will only contribute to Episode 7's success IMHO.

This film will bring all the generations of Star Wars fans together. Heck even my Mum wants to watch this. And she never saw any of the Prequels.

quanchi112
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
You also need to factor in how much more prominent 3-d and Imax has become since then

I don't think episode 7 will have any problem in out grossing, Avengers That was also years before avengers so I'm sure if we compared ticket by ticket it the gap wouldn't be that big at all. It was also the best Star Wars to date and has the highest rewatchability of the entire series action wise.

Darth Thor
Financially speaking TPM was by far the biggest beast of the Prequel Trilogy just as TFA will likely be the biggest beast of the New Sequel Trilogy.

Impediment
TFA is going to shatter box office records.

Time-Immemorial
TFA is going to shatter box office records.

thumb up

quanchi112
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
thumb up Yeah, Disney is going to rape at the box office for years to come.

Ridley_Prime
Financially speaking TPM was by far the biggest beast of the Prequel Trilogy just as TFA will likely be the biggest beast of the New Sequel Trilogy.
TPM sold the most out of the PT? And I thought Spider-Man 3 being the most sold out of the Raimi trilogy was sad...

ares834
Nothing sad about it. TPM had unreal hype since it was the return of SW. It was a major event film. Even if it was well recived, it's doubtful that either of the other two could have sold as many tickets.

Ridley_Prime
It was the least received of the PT if I recall right, though I get why it sold because of the timing and all that.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It was the least received of the PT if I recall right, though I get why it sold because of the timing and all that.

It was the least received because it also carried with it the highest expectations. But it was never going to be the best of the Trilogy, Episode 3 always was. And I personally feel AOTC is the least loved of the trilogy, not TPM. AOTC just didn't have the same level of expectation.

Anyway Disney realize that now about Expectations. And they've invested too much into Star Wars/Lucasfilm for people to be disappointed right at the start of it's Disney comeback.. So if anything they would have given it their best shot to make TFA the best movie they can make.

Insane Titan
Star Wars TFA will come close to Avatar/Titanic numbers IMO

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Star Wars TFA will come close to Avatar/Titanic numbers IMO

That'd be Awesome.

Darth Thor
So now the question is "How many days" before this sails past AOU? And then how many more days before it drives by A1 and JW?

So much for the Prequels leaving a sour taste in people wink

queeq
The sour taste is still there, TFA makes it fade though.

Bardock42
At least on here it feels like TFA has made the Prequel fans come out.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by queeq
The sour taste is still there, TFA makes it fade though.

Lol It's not even had a chance to do that yet. This had the Biggest OW of all time, with a massive amount of those tickets being pre-booked before anyone had even seen the film.

WOM hardly has a chance to spread OW, people were just cramming to see this for themselves.

So the Prequels clearly haven't had any negative effect at all (on the financial value of the Franchise).

It's had an INSANE OW and can make $2Bill WW without much difficulty from here on. Whether it beats Avatar or Titanic though will depend solely on it's own legs. No one will be able to blame the Prequels if it doesn't.

queeq
Well, I ENJOYED TFA a lot more than the PT. So no matter how well it did, it did a lot better with me. And since I'm not getting of that box office money, that's all that counts for me.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by queeq
Well, I ENJOYED TFA a lot more than the PT. So no matter how well it did, it did a lot better with me. And since I'm not getting of that box office money, that's all that counts for me.

Exactly. We can only talk for ourselves and not the rest of the world.

Bardock42
Lol It's not even had a chance to do that yet. This had the Biggest OW of all time, with a massive amount of those tickets being pre-booked before anyone had even seen the film.

WOM hardly has a chance to spread OW, people were just cramming to see this for themselves.

So the Prequels clearly haven't had any negative effect at all (on the financial value of the Franchise).

It's had an INSANE OW and can make $2Bill WW without much difficulty from here on. Whether it beats Avatar or Titanic though will depend solely on it's own legs. No one will be able to blame the Prequels if it doesn't.

The prequels, and particularly the sale afterwards, may even have had a positive effect on the numbers of TFA.

queeq
The PT did very well. The merchandise alone made more than the movies costs.
Plus... we all went to see them anyway. I saw all of them twice in the movies. And after that I needed a few years of therapy to get me out of that phase of denial and accept they were not that good.

AuraAngel
Star Wars is a cultural touchstone that was born in the movies. Of course it'll beat out any Avengers flick.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Bardock42
The prequels, and particularly the sale afterwards, may even have had a positive effect on the numbers of TFA.

I think so thumb up

queeq
Avengers, prolly.

Darth Thor
It'll definitely beat Avengers and Jurassic World IMO. OW is just too high without even opening in China yet.

Should reach Titanic numbers. Obviously has a shot at Avatar given the OW, but will only get there if people really love it and go to watch it again and again and again.

CPT Space Bomb
I still can't believe how overhyped Titanic was....it was pretty good but ffs it made way more money than it should have. Of course Avatar sucked too...so....

quanchi112
Disney is just raping at the box office.

Darth Thor
^ And Titanic made a few hundered million more in a 3d release a few years ago! Amazing. It's all Women loving it and dragging their boyfriends/partners and families for that.

Avatar was just such a huge leap in special effects. But I don't think it will keep that kind of value as a franchise. Meaning I doubt Avatar's 2, 3 and 4 will all make $2Billion+ each.

quanchi112
It will be interesting to see what happens when Avatar gets back to the box office after he finally finishes these films. I personally didn't find it appealing. Glad it exists but nothing I'd rave about based off the first film.

Bashar Teg

a chance? a CHANCE? better to ask if AOU stands a chance. answer: doubtful.

Darth Thor
AOU has no chance at this point. Neither does A1 for that matter. Jurassic World may have a 10%-20% chance. Titanic's harder to predict. I'm gonna go with 50/50 on that one. Whilst others may think Avatar has the 50/50 chance, which is also a reaosnable assumption at this point.

playa1258
It's not a question if it beats Avatar, it's by how much. Going of Hobbits multiplier of 3.6 we get 892 domestic.

wakkawakkawakka
Star Wars has a chance to beat Avatar domestically. WW on the other hand is a bit harder to gauge. I think it might end up making Titanic figures when everything's said and done.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Star Wars has a chance to beat Avatar domestically. WW on the other hand is a bit harder to gauge. I think it might end up making Titanic figures when everything's said and done.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well.

But Playa's right it will beat Avatar domestically with a decent multiplier.

But to beat Avatar WW it will have to have pretty strong legs. Because Avatar had ridiculous legs but SW has the advantage of a much bigger opening.

playa1258
It will end up 2 WW at worst.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Star Wars is a cultural touchstone that was born in the movies. Of course it'll beat out any Avengers flick. Um, it's also a very good movie. I do like how you try to undermine that fact by just saying it's Star Wars.

AuraAngel
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Um, it's also a very good movie. I do like how you try to undermine that fact by just saying it's Star Wars.

Avatar is not an especially great movie and it is the most successful of all time(I think). Quality does not always correlate to success and vice versa.

Also do I follow you around telling you how biased you are for this film? No, because it's a movie and you're free to feel how you feel. Kindly get over, you'll be much happier.

CPT Space Bomb
Avatar is not an especially great movie and it is the most successful of all time(I think). Quality does not always correlate to success and vice versa.

Also do I follow you around telling you how biased you are for this film? No, because it's a movie and you're free to feel how you feel. Kindly get over, you'll be much happier. I didn't follow you around. I read the page that you posted the only reason TFA is going to do well is because it's Star Wars. Everyone else was talking about numbers, you were lowballing it; so I chimed in.

And Yes, Avatar isn't a great movie but TFA is highly acclaimed by critics and GA.

And THAT'S The main reason it's doing well, because people like it.

AuraAngel
The main reason Avatar did well was because people liked it. thumb up

Star Wars is more iconic to film than anything Marvel could possibly produce and this is the long awaited return to form after the subpar prequels. It is not even a contest frankly and that's why I didn't bring it up(though of the two, I prefer TFA to AoU by a pretty wide margin).

CPT Space Bomb
The main reason Avatar did well was because people liked it. thumb upCorrect. I didn't say otherwise. While that maybe used to be true, Marvel has cracked the 1.3 billion dollar range several times now. They are printing money at the movies. It's obvious that people are more into comic book movies than ever before.

BruceSkywalker
Star Wars: The Force Awakens clearly has a chance at breaking Titanic's record especially at the pace it is going...

AuraAngel
Certainly. But we're talking about a film series that has had tremendous impact on generations. A young boy could have seen one of the OT in theaters. That young boy could grow into a father who brings his daughter to see the PT. And that daughter just might be old enough to bring her child to see TFA.

Star Wars is powerful and, in some ways, embodies the heart of cinema.

CPT Space Bomb
Certainly. But we're talking about a film series that has had tremendous impact on generations. A young boy could have seen one of the OT in theaters. That young boy could grow into a father who brings his daughter to see the PT. And that daughter just might be old enough to bring her child to see TFA.

Star Wars is powerful and, in some ways, embodies the heart of cinema. Comics have had tremendous impact on generations as well. One could argue that seeing a favorite comic character on screen for the first time is more impactful than watching any single Star Wars movie. Sure, Star Wars as a film series has had more time to be influential as JUST film, but as a property it's a different story. Hence the ease of which good comic movies are making money atm.

TheVaultDweller
Based on the fact that is has passed the $1 billion mark already, it is certainly on its way.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Based on the fact that is has passed the $1 billion mark already, it is certainly on its way.

To beat AOU? Lol yes it is.

Btw it's already destroyed AOU domestically.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, this movie is already a record breaker. Fastest film ever to get past the $1 billion mark. Not sure if it will get to Avatar numbers, but it could certainly give it a good run.

BruceSkywalker
Clearly The Force Awakens is strong (no pun intended, lol) but definitely it will come very close to Titanic numbers ..

I'm glad as I have seen the film multiple times already

queeq
I'm gonna see it for the third time tomorrow.

Zack M
TFA destroyed AOU in terms of quality and BO. It won't sell nearly as many tickets as Titanic, but it could surpass Avatar domestically. Impressive stuff.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zack M
TFA destroyed AOU in terms of quality and BO. It won't sell nearly as many tickets as Titanic, but it could surpass Avatar domestically. Impressive stuff.

How do you find out how many tickets were sold for a movie?

Zack M
Boxofficemojo/box office forums has a bunch of links, too

Robtard
If you adjust for inflation, to even out that tickets are more expensive now then they were in say 1977, Star Wars is still the 3rd highest grossing film on all time, behind Gone with the Wind and Avatar.

Darth Thor
^ Of course that only counts Domestic. Because you can't possibly account for inflation in every country, and each film would have been released in different markets anyway, especially in different time periods.

But Domestic being the biggest market is the closest we will ever get to accurate inflation adjusted figures.

Robtard
It's probably the total sum converted to US dollars and then adjusted. Not 100% sure though.

eg When TFA opens up in China in about a week, the numbers will be posted as US figures here, they won't say "made 10billion yuan"

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Robtard
It's probably the total sum converted to US dollars and then adjusted. Not 100% sure though.

eg When TFA opens up in China in about a week, the numbers will be posted as US figures here, they won't say "made 10billion yuan"

No it's just North America figures. Because you simply can't adjust for every country and put it together.

For instance I don't think the Original SW was even released in China at the time.

Domestic is good enough though to give us an idea.

Robtard
I think you misunderstood me? I was saying that if 'Gone with the Wind' earned the equivalent of $5,000.00 USD in say Hong Kong, it's adjusted as US currency in regards to inflation.

But reading up on the wiki, it does put forward that Foreign Exchange Rates are factored in as best they can. Among other intricacies.

Darth Thor
I think you misunderstood me? I was saying that if 'Gone with the Wind' earned the equivalent of $5,000.00 USD in say Hong Kong, it's adjusted as US currency in regards to inflation.

But reading up on the wiki, it does put forward that Foreign Exchange Rates are factored in as best they can. Among other intricacies.

Ah right ok.

I would just say Domestic is more reliable with every country having a different rate of inflation. And the International market being much broader now.

playa1258
TFA on pace to sell over 100 million tickets.

Crazy.

quanchi112
TFA on pace to sell over 100 million tickets.

Crazy. How is this crazy when many posters saw this killing it at the box office. Warner bros. should take notes from Disney.

Robtard
How do you find out how many tickets were sold for a movie?

Top 10 tickets (in millions):

1 225.7 Gone With the Wind (1939) (MGM) Victor Fleming, George Cukor, Sam Wood AA M
2 194.4 Star Wars (Ep. IV: A New Hope) (1977) (Fox) George Lucas n M
3 161.0 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (Univ) Steven Spielberg n M
4 156.4 The Sound of Music (1965) (Fox) Robert Wise AA M
5 130.0 The Ten Commandments (1956) (Para) Cecil B. DeMille n M
6 128.4 Titanic (1997) (Fox) James Cameron AA M
7 126.3 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) (BV) David Hand HA M
8 120.7 Jaws (1975) (Univ) Steven Spielberg n
9 120.1 Doctor Zhivago (1965) (MGM) David Lean n
10 118.9 The Lion King (1994) (BV)

http://mrob.com/pub/film-video/topadj.html

Darth Thor
thumb up

Robtard
Depending on how crazy the Chinese go over it, it could very well sell 150+ million tickets

playa1258
Originally posted by quanchi112
How is this crazy when many posters saw this killing it at the box office. Warner bros. should take notes from Disney. WB really had a bad year.

quanchi112
WB really had a bad year. At least they will have Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them next year. Can't wait for that one.

playa1258
They will rebound big in 2016.

quanchi112
They will rebound big in 2016. Batman vs superman and Suicide squad look like shit tbh.

Zack M
They will rebound big in 2016.

Most definitely.

playa1258
Quan your hate of DC is consistent I will give you that.

Zack M
Depending on how crazy the Chinese go over it, it could very well sell 150+ million tickets

BOM states Titanic did 135 million. Isn't that just for domestic only?

quanchi112
Quan your hate of DC is consistent I will give you that. I didn't hate the Nolan films but these previews look like shit. Man of steel was also abysmal.

Robtard
BOM states Titanic did 135 million. Isn't that just for domestic only?

If so, I'd trust BOM over that other sight.

quanchi112
If so, I'd trust BOM over that other sight. Site.

laughing out loud

Zack M
If so, I'd trust BOM over that other sight.

Here is the link.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

It's just labeled under domestic grosses, but doesn't say if it only counts domestic. I don't know.

Robtard
Here is the link.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

It's just labeled under domestic grosses, but doesn't say if it only counts domestic. I don't know.

It's 128 vs 135 and "estimated" on BOM. So maybe somewhere in between?

Zack M
It's 128 vs 135 and "estimated" on BOM. So maybe somewhere in between?

Yes, but it's only counting domestic, right? TFA is at 62 and growing. I don't know if it will get to Titanic's numbers. We'll see.

Robtard
Yeah, both sites seem to be counting only domestic ticket sales. Lame, should be giving us WW figures too.

Zack M
Yeah, both sites seem to be counting only domestic ticket sales. Lame, should be giving us WW figures too.

Yeah, plus some of the numbers are a little off. This is what someone posted on the BO forums on TDK:

Darth Thor
Yes adjusting for inflation can be a complicated task Domestically never mind Worldwide.

quanchi112
Star Wars>>>Batman.

playa1258
Star Wars is greater than Marvel too.

Darth Thor
Star Wars is greater than Marvel too.

True say. Star Wars is stomping all over the superhero franchise.

quanchi112
Star Wars is greater than Marvel too. Star Wars are marvel comics characters factored in every month.

laughing out loud

Zack M
True say. Star Wars is stomping all over the superhero franchise.

Yep, the two biggest franchises are Star Wars and Harry Potter.

ares834
Admittedly, I except AoU will make more but it's no guarantee. Especially with the original cast returning.

Ye of little faith.

Darth Thor
Another guy with little faith:

Anyway you're right. Avengers AOU will beat it. But SW7 will also make well over a Billion Imho.

quanchi112
Another guy with little faith: You aren't a true fan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.