WWE; Racism Debate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Henry_Pym
Do you feel WWE Brass are inherently racist?

-Pr-
Vince has some racist leanings, yes, but I think it's more of a general bigotry than racism. The guy loves his stereotypes, and being as out of touch as he is, he's just going to be stuck in some old ways. That said, I honestly don't think he'd stop a black guy from becoming champion again. Kevin Dunn, probably though. He seems like a real ****.

HHH? Not sure, but I would say not really, even taking in to account THAT FEUD with Booker T.

Stephanie? No.

Though I will admit, I think their problem with sexism is just as bad as their problem with race at times.

Henry_Pym
Well from what I can tell, most really offensive stereotypes based gimmicks for Black wrestlers were ideas from black wrestlers or were heavily beloved by the wrestler. Pastor Devon, Crime Tyme, New Day, & Big Zeke were all gimmicks they created and Kamala was the thing that saved an uneducated, poor, illiterate mans life.

As far as why aren't there aren't more top stars that are black, the truth is that nowhere in wrestling is there top tier black talents waiting to be signed. I'm not saying there isn't great talent in the indies who are black, but outside of Jay Lethal & (hopefully) Uhaa Nation I don't see any main event guys.

TheHulk
To me it shifts. You will be lucky if the company likes you.

juggerman
Originally posted by -Pr-
HHH? Not sure, but I would say not really, even taking in to account THAT FEUD with Booker T.

I wanna say those comments were just for heat. At least I hope that's all it was for. Booker doesn't seem to have any ill will toward HHH.

Henry_Pym
If WWE didnt like Booker he wouldn't have feuded with HHH, Rock or Austin.

Look at all the Dubya-ce-Dubya guys they jobbed out instantly and turned to midcard jokes.

P-Geyser
Vince has some racist leanings, yes, but I think it's more of a general bigotry than racism. The guy loves his stereotypes, and being as out of touch as he is, he's just going to be stuck in some old ways. That said, I honestly don't think he'd stop a black guy from becoming champion again. Kevin Dunn, probably though. He seems like a real ****.

Stephanie? No.

Though I will admit, I think their problem with sexism is just as bad as their problem with race at times. Kevin Dunn is a piece of 💩

Henry_Pym
So what is holding back an Asian top tier guy? Muta was treated as top tier but since then, I cant remember a serious top tier Asian superstar since...

Itami has struggled to connect in NXT, and a bit could be a language gap, granted Itami speaks english.

LordofBrooklyn
Vince worships the almighty dollar.

Period.

He is arrogant, pompous, and tone-deaf but he would never allow race to limit his success.

If you are looking for stone cold racists there are people like Ole Anderson who is a notorious bigot. Harley Race wanted to give Tony Atlas the NWA title back in 1980 for 2 weeks while he was in Japan, that lowlife, Anderson, refused.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Well from what I can tell, most really offensive stereotypes based gimmicks for Black wrestlers were ideas from black wrestlers or were heavily beloved by the wrestler. Pastor Devon, Crime Tyme, New Day, & Big Zeke were all gimmicks they created and Kamala was the thing that saved an uneducated, poor, illiterate mans life.

As far as why aren't there aren't more top stars that are black, the truth is that nowhere in wrestling is there top tier black talents waiting to be signed. I'm not saying there isn't great talent in the indies who are black, but outside of Jay Lethal & (hopefully) Uhaa Nation I don't see any main event guys.

While I would agree with you in part, there's no way I can agree on the New Day. For months, anytime anyone asked Xavier Woods what the new stable was going to be, his answer was generally "nothing to do with being black", and yet the stable was about black ministers that was stereotyped to hell.

It's changing now, it seems, to have a darker element to it which is good, but I can't help but feel the direction it took initially was from on high.

Originally posted by juggerman
I wanna say those comments were just for heat. At least I hope that's all it was for. Booker doesn't seem to have any ill will toward HHH.

Oh, I agree. And I think a lot of what people see as racism was actually anti-WCW sentiment. I just know that a lot of people see it as being racist, so I wanted to cover all of the bases.

So what is holding back an Asian top tier guy? Muta was treated as top tier but since then, I cant remember a serious top tier Asian superstar since...

Itami has struggled to connect in NXT, and a bit could be a language gap, granted Itami speaks english.

if I had to guess, I would bet it's a combination of size and promo ability that they might be lacking.

Hoping itami bucks the trend, though.

AncientPower

You kidding? The last episode of NXT was an Itami's road to mania episode and it was one of the best I have seen in a long time. I used to fear he was getting left in the mud like Breeze but not after that.

Henry_Pym
Tbf he came in with Balor & Owens, hyped exactly the same amount and he isn't on their level of popularity.

P-Geyser

Stephanie? No.

Though I will admit, I think their problem with sexism is just as bad as their problem with race at times. Kevin Dunn is an assh@le to a T.

Quincy
Itami is bad-ass and talented. Of course he's connecting with the audience.

Surtur
I don't think Vince is racist, but he is legitimately insane.

Tattoos N Scars
Would be nice if WWE could find another Rock. The Rock transcended race. No one looked at him and said, hey, he's half black. The guy was so entertaining and electrified the crowd so much that no one saw 'race'.

AsbestosFlaygon
The Rock was/is definitely the biggest black star the WWE produced.

As far as racists go, I don't think Vince is. Bray Wyatt looks like a racist, but I'm being stereotypical. I don't really know if he really is, but he does look like a racist Southern.

Henry_Pym
So with the Rumor of Shinsuke Nakamura signing with the E, can we expect an Asian world champ or Kaientai 2.0 with Itami and Asuka?

AsbestosFlaygon
Not happening. He'll end up as a Funaki 2.0

He'd be lucky if he gets the same treatment as Tajiri did.

Henry_Pym
Yeah... My fears as well.

WWE is trying to kill its competitors again, no matter what they/fanboys say.

Surtur
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The Rock was/is definitely the biggest black star the WWE produced.

As far as racists go, I don't think Vince is. Bray Wyatt looks like a racist, but I'm being stereotypical. I don't really know if he really is, but he does look like a racist Southern.

I mean if Vince was truly racist I think the last thing he'd ever do is give the WWF championship to a black guy. He just wouldn't do it. He had plenty of white stars he could have ridden for boatloads of cash.

He's willing to enforce stereotypes, but he isn't racist.

Like I said, the man is legitimately insane. That's not a joke or an exaggeration, he is INSANE. This is the same guy who wanted to have a storyline where Shane and Stephanie are banging each other.

Plus think about it, the guy was filthy rich and decided to just..get into the wrestling ring and take several harsh beatings, even though he was in his 50's. This isn't the same as someone like Terry Funk who wrestles for decades well into his 50's and beyond. This is someone who never really set foot in a ring in any kind of capacity other than announcing..until his 50's. He had no real training, so he didn't have the benefit of knowing how to take bumps correctly in order to minimize damage.

TheHulk
Originally posted by Surtur
I mean if Vince was truly racist I think the last thing he'd ever do is give the WWF championship to a black guy. He just wouldn't do it. He had plenty of white stars he could have ridden for boatloads of cash.

He's willing to enforce stereotypes, but he isn't racist.

Like I said, the man is legitimately insane. That's not a joke or an exaggeration, he is INSANE. This is the same guy who wanted to have a storyline where Shane and Stephanie are banging each other.

Plus think about it, the guy was filthy rich and decided to just..get into the wrestling ring and take several harsh beatings, even though he was in his 50's. This isn't the same as someone like Terry Funk who wrestles for decades well into his 50's and beyond. This is someone who never really set foot in a ring in any kind of capacity other than announcing..until his 50's. He had no real training, so he didn't have the benefit of knowing how to take bumps correctly in order to minimize damage. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.