Silver Surfer Justice League bump

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
The Silver Surfer joins the classic DCnu JLA (Supes, Bats, WW, GL, Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman). But, you have to decide who he replaces and why.

While Batman seems an obvious choice in terms "guy with no powers", he brings too much to the table in terms of guile, tactics, field leadership and big picture thinking. With SS, a Batless League would be more powerful but less efficient.
Aquaman and WWs magical connections are too important to this version of the League, which have no actual magic users, though if pressed, i'd pick Arthur to go.
Cyborg is pretty secure in his niche as resident tech guy. Always good to have.
Same with Flash. Speed is his forte, the team is better for having him.
Superman is the team mascot. The heart and soul. He's not going anywhere if i'm given the choice.

That leaves Green Lantern to get his 2 weeks notice.
He's the resident space guy. SS can fill that role and out does him in power. Seems pretty obvious.

Who do you give the boot?

DarkSaint85
I'd bump Aquaman or Flash (hence the thread, right? Differing opinions and all that).

Batman, I agree with. He also brings a psychology angle to the League, how villains think.
WW - magic link
Superman - untouchable
Cyborg - Fills the void left by MM, in team coordination, Monitor duty etc. Plus, Boom tube tech is always handy.
Aquaman....I know you said he had the magic angle, but I believe he brings more than just that. His link with Atlantis, 70% of the world's surface and all that, plus his environmental links...pretty important, actually.
GL brings Earth's role in the greater galactic picture to the table.
Flash. I can't see what he brings (or, how he's been utilised, at least) that Surfer can't do, and more.

Sin I AM
Did Norrin get a bump or something lately? He's a cool guy but honesty he doesn't fit in the team dynamic.

Prof. T.C McAbe
He lacks the connection to earth to be a part of the JL. Also he has no penis.

On a side note,the JLI might take him, they like B-Listers.

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
I'd bump Aquaman or Flash (hence the thread, right? Differing opinions and all that).

Batman, I agree with. He also brings a psychology angle to the League, how villains think.
WW - magic link
Superman - untouchable
Cyborg - Fills the void left by MM, in team coordination, Monitor duty etc. Plus, Boom tube tech is always handy.
Aquaman....I know you said he had the magic angle, but I believe he brings more than just that. His link with Atlantis, 70% of the world's surface and all that, plus his environmental links...pretty important, actually.
GL brings Earth's role in the greater galactic picture to the table.
Flash. I can't see what he brings (or, how he's been utilised, at least) that Surfer can't do, and more.
I like your reasoning on Aquaman's role.
Not sure i agree on the Flash, though.
I really think GLs the best choice, but you make strong arguments as always.

carver9
Flash can be replaced easily. If they need speed, without him, they'll still have Wonder Woman, Superman, and Surfer. Easy fix.

riv6672
Originally posted by carver9
Flash can be replaced easily. If they need speed, without him, they'll still have Wonder Woman, Superman, and Surfer. Easy fix.
And if thats your reasoning, thats fine by me, but i liken it to saying the Hulk could be replaced on a team because if strength is needed that team has cage, Iron Man and The Thing.
Flash is on a complete other speed level.

-cue nay sayers-

carver9
Originally posted by riv6672
And if thats your reasoning, thats fine by me, but i liken it to saying the Hulk could be replaced on a team because if strength is needed that team has cage, Iron Man and The Thing.
Flash is on a complete other speed level.

-cue nay sayers-

I'm referring to what he has done so far while being on the league. Those showings can be replicated by someone like Surfer whereas Thing, Luke, and Ironman can't replicate what Hulk has done so far while being on the Avengers.

DarkSaint85
I'm referring to what he has done so far while being on the league. Those showings can be replicated by someone like Surfer whereas Thing, Luke, and Ironman can't replicate what Hulk has done so far while being on the Avengers.

thumb up

riv6672
Ah, fair fair. I was, too, but more on the sheer power level gap. Not how characters on teams are adjusted to give everyone something to do.
stick out tongue

carver9
Ah, fair fair. I was, too, but more on the sheer power level gap. Not how characters on teams are adjusted to give everyone something to do.
stick out tongue

Aaaahhhh, Gotcha. I would still replace the Flash though. Flash is the fastest there is but what reasons would the JLA need infinite speed when they have peeps on the team, including Surfer, that is as fast as you need them to be? Flash is a good asset but I consider him the lease favorable in a thread like this.

abhilegend
If you think Flash is on team due to being just fast, you probably have never read a JLA comic.

Nobody can replace a flash from JLA.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by abhilegend
If you think Flash is on team due to being just fast, you probably have never read a JLA comic.

This. People don't understand team dynamics. I swear some of u must've never played sports in your life

carver9

What's your answer to the question of the thread?

Surtur
I have to disagree about the Batman point. It sounds good on paper, since yeah his true skills do not come from having any powers. However, the other members of the league are not stupid. Nor is it even a case of "these guys are not stupid, but Batman is so far above them still". Some of them can be just as tactically brilliant as Batman can be, and all that. It just gets dumbed down because Batman needs a purpose. For instance, Superman is actually a full on genius who also has a mind that works much faster then any computer. Yet, he also has god like powers so obviously when Batman is around they dumb that aspect of his character down.

If you remove him from the equation, they suddenly have no reason to act dumb merely so Batman seems relevant. On top of that, Silver Surfer has cosmic awareness and all that, which might help with battlefield stuff. But still, Wonder Woman should know battle tactics, etc.

Batman might be the best overall detective in the league, but the types of villains the league takes on..being a good detective is more or less irrelevant. When it comes to "field leadership" I don't see why Superman or Wonder Woman couldn't fill that role.

abhilegend
Batman was never a leader of JLA anyway. And he's in league because only he can do what the other idealists of JLA can't do. Think and outsmart villains on their own logic.

Read Morrison's JLA, not just the best JLA run but the best team book period, and you will know why Batman is irreplaceable in JLA. Originally posted by carver9
Hal.

riv6672

Lets all say, the Flash, and save time.

Surtur
You know who Doctor Doom is, right? You know he also tends to build Doombots, but Doom being Doom doesn't like to be outshone. So he programs his bots that when the real Doom is in their presence..the bots are weakened. Keep in mind this is a bit silly since Dooms magic use still puts him above his robots, but it's Doom so meh. Anyways, the point is..it genuinely seems like Batman sort of has the same thing going. You put him within a certain distance of other heroes and some kind of aura activates that makes them less effective.

golem370
Superman gets bumped just because they have similar values Silver Surfer as no weaknesses like Superman and he is more versatile.

Batman would be good too Silver Surfer can scare the hell of villains better then Batman he can cover distances better and he is smart too.

Surtur
It really makes no sense to bump Superman. You don't get rid of a heavy hitter just because another one shows up. I'd get rid of people like Batman, Aquaman, or Cyborg long before I'd consider getting rid of Superman.

I think Batman is the ideal choice to get rid of, he will be more or less dead weight. Though it needs to be said Batman brings more to the table then merely being able to scare his villains.

Surfer does have fewer weaknesses then Superman and he is more versatile, but even he can't be in two places at once or anything like that. Also keep in mind how awesome a team Superman and Silver Surfer could make. Surfer is more versatile, but a part of that versatility would allow him to more or less imbue Supes with additional solar energy. In other words, he'd be able to do the equivalent of a sun dip without even needing to leave the planet. So not only does a sun dip make Supes a lot more powerful, I think it also drastically reduces the effects kryptonite has on him. So it would technically be possible for Surfer to turn Supes into a god(more or less)

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Sin I AM
This. People don't understand team dynamics. I swear some of u must've never played sports in your life

What does Flash add?

riv6672
Really?

carver9
It's a good question tbh? What's your answer on it?

DarkSaint85
Yeah. What does Barry Allen add, or has he added, in the DCnU JLA?

riv6672
It's a good question tbh? What's your answer on it?
Mine?
He's the speed guy.
I understand others can do speed on the team but, he's the expert.
Same as WW is a powerhouse, but Supes is THE powerhouse. Hell, Supes can replicate 90% of what the others do (tech, speed, space travel, survive underwater, ranged attacks, leadership...) doesnt mean they shouldnt be there.
Thats why its a team.

Of course, thats also why i asked this question. See what people think makes the team tick and why, who's deadweight, etc.
The answers have been interesting so far!

carver9
Mine?
He's the speed guy.
I understand others can do speed on the team but, he's the expert.
Same as WW is a powerhouse, but Supes is THE powerhouse. Hell, Supes can replicate 90% of what the others do (tech, speed, space travel, survive underwater, ranged attacks, leadership...) doesnt mean they shouldnt be there.
Thats why its a team.

Of course, thats also why i asked this question. See what people think makes the team tick and why, who's deadweight, etc.
The answers have been interesting so far!

Everything you've said is true but the thing with that is, there are people on the team, including Surfer, that can replicate what he has done so far. If running fast is the only thing he is bringing to the table, I just don't think it's enough.

Sin I AM
What does Flash add?

Speed. That's his niche, someone mentioned before that Diana brings a magic edge. Well so does Authur. Alotta things can be replicated in comics but what teams need is experts in particular fields. Sure norrin is fast but he doesn't add to the dynamic. U can't have a team of Jordans. It won't mesh

Sin I AM
Someone made a thread about Cap vs Beast right. And the people who don't read comics or simply at stat whores whined about how beast should win. True beast has some clearly superhuman stats. But he's no fighter. He's a scientist that's his niche. Then the naysayers are well beast is smarter. So what? Intelligence doesn't transfer into combat experience otherwise every nerd on this board would've been the bully instead of being bullied growing up. It's common sense really

JayDaDon
What does Flash add?

Speed. Not only that but can give speed and make everyone on the team faster too.

Stoic
The Surfer could replace any member of the JL power wise. If he were on the team for a while he would certainly fit in. It's not as if he's lawfully evil or anything like that. He also has more powers than any of them.

-Pr-
Hal would be the easiest one to replace while maintaining the team dynamic.

Batman is necessary. As is Superman. Then Diana. Those three are absolutely irreplaceable imo.

DarkSaint85
Speed. That's his niche, someone mentioned before that Diana brings a magic edge. Well so does Authur. Alotta things can be replicated in comics but what teams need is experts in particular fields. Sure norrin is fast but he doesn't add to the dynamic. U can't have a team of Jordans. It won't mesh

What has DCnU Barry added to the team dynamic? Arthur also adds the environmental dimension.

riv6672
What has DCnU Barry added to the team dynamic? Arthur also adds the environmental dimension.
I guess you're mind's made up on this one. stick out tongue
Sin I Am covers my take on things below, but, again, i think everyone's team building technique is pretty interesting.
U can't have a team of Jordans. It won't mesh

Someone made a thread about Cap vs Beast right. And the people who don't read comics or simply at stat whores whined about how beast should win. True beast has some clearly superhuman stats. But he's no fighter. He's a scientist that's his niche. Then the naysayers are well beast is smarter. So what? Intelligence doesn't transfer into combat experience otherwise every nerd on this board would've been the bully instead of being bullied growing up. It's common sense really

golem370
Silver Surfer exotic presence would be ruined in a earth team imo I would say Beta Ray Bill would make a better choice.

DarkSaint85
I guess you're mind's made up on this one. stick out tongue
Sin I Am covers my take on things below, but, again, i think everyone's team building technique is pretty interesting.

Ha, I guess I haven't really seen much of Barry's personality in the DCnU JLa, hence my q.

Batman - the brooding leader who calls out the plays and tactics
Superman - the actual leader who inspires, the figurehead
Cyborg - the mortar holding all the bricks together, directing people to where they're needed. The newbie who is on a journey with the JLA
GL - the cocky human ('peep the lightshow!'). Adds some humour to the group - otherwise, it would be dour and serious as hell.
WW - out of place God of War, who brings bloodthirstiness when required. Also, the mystical dimension to things.
Arthur - the ruler who accepts he's no longer the biggest fish in the pond, but still has much to contribute and is the eco-warrior side of the group.

That's my difficulty. I could see it in pre-Flashpoint Wally; his banter with Kyle was good. In the DCnU, they've tried to acknowledge it a bit, but it has not come across as before. I guess that's where I am coming from...

riv6672
Oh, Wally is my Flash of choice. I thought his taking over the mantle was done so well. Still, DCnu is the reality we have to deal with...

JayDaDon
Ha, I guess I haven't really seen much of Barry's personality in the DCnU JLa, hence my q.

Batman - the brooding leader who calls out the plays and tactics
Superman - the actual leader who inspires, the figurehead
Cyborg - the mortar holding all the bricks together, directing people to where they're needed. The newbie who is on a journey with the JLA
GL - the cocky human ('peep the lightshow!'). Adds some humour to the group - otherwise, it would be dour and serious as hell.
WW - out of place God of War, who brings bloodthirstiness when required. Also, the mystical dimension to things.
Arthur - the ruler who accepts he's no longer the biggest fish in the pond, but still has much to contribute and is the eco-warrior side of the group.

That's my difficulty. I could see it in pre-Flashpoint Wally; his banter with Kyle was good. In the DCnU, they've tried to acknowledge it a bit, but it has not come across as before. I guess that's where I am coming from...

I thought you were talking about usefulness in a fighting scenario. Well he's...Hal's best friend? Who else would he bounce his banter off of? Also it never hurts to have another genius/ forensic scientist around.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I thought you were talking about usefulness in a fighting scenario. Well he's...Hal's best friend? Who else would he bounce his banter off of? Also it never hurts to have another genius/ forensic scientist around.

My first posts WERE about fighting. Then Sin and Abhi came in, and challenged me. Talked about team dynamics and such. So my question then was, OK, what team dynamic angle does Barry have?

He's just the straight man to Hal in their relationship. Which can EASILY be Surfer - witness how stoic and straight-faced J'onn used to be in the pre-Flashpoint JLA? Surfer can fill that gap. Someone who is unable to grasp Earth humour and customs, and Hal would just bounce off him.

I thought about the forensices etc - but again, he hasn't been utilised like that in the DCnU JLA. Mostly it has been Bats and Cyborg. If Barry wasn't there, he wouldn't be missed - except he'd now be replaced by a guy with Cosmic Awareness.

Just a few thoughts.

celeyhyga17
Darksaint = Flash hater

Fess up.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Darksaint = Flash hater

Fess up.

I hate speedsters. All of them.

celeyhyga17
I'm guessing you think Agents of Shield is better than Flash on TV..

thumb down

You and your agendas

DarkSaint85
I think Gotham is better. Does my depravity know no bounds???

celeyhyga17
I think Gotham is better. Does my depravity know no bounds???
Smh..

thumb down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.