Star Trek Beyond

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
The third installment in the rebooted Star Trek saga is called Star Trek Beyond

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-3-title-star-trek-beyond/

Robtard
I understand if Abrams wants to move on, but why the **** was a meh to outright shitty director given this.

Nerd raging so hard right now. SO hard.

Firefly218
Justin Lin is pretty good. He's not bad.

Robtard
Of the six films of his I've seen, only one was decent while the rest were crap (Fast/Furious flicks).

Lestov16
Seems odd that they would pass off one of pop culture's most iconic franchises to a guy whose best known films are the slightly-less-stupid-than-Michael-Bay-level FF flicks.

TBH though, my faith in the "NuTrek trilogy" died with the first film, when it became blatantly apparent that they were more interested in making a standard sci fi popcorn flick than tackling the complex and wondrous themes that TOS and TNG engaged in. So I don't really have any high expectations for this.

BruceSkywalker
i like justin lin but not a fan of the title , if indeed it has been titled this

Quincy
Probably because Justin Lin is a fan and his vision for the film matched what the producers were looking for.

Kazenji
I read that's not even the final title for the movie, It was only something Simon Pegg let slip.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Robtard
Of the six films of his I've seen, only one was decent while the rest were crap (Fast/Furious flicks). Well, we're phucked.

Phucking SW grabbing our director. mad

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Well, we're phucked.

laughing out loud

Star Trek was just Abrams CV to get his job on SW.

And it was a great Cv. Job done!

playa1258
Hoping for a Klingon war.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Quincy
Probably because Justin Lin is a fan and his vision for the film matched what the producers were looking for.

i.e. shaky cam, lens flares, and convoluted time travel plots.

quanchi112
Oh calm down people. Sure Abrams is what made this franchise great but I have hope this can be quite good. I just hope this series never goes back to the boring and terrible ways pre reboot. Idris Ilba iirc is in talks to probably be the main baddie. They also stated the villain will most likely be an original character which sounds refreshing.

Firefly218
Hope the Borg are introduced

ares834
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Well, we're phucked.

big grin

Plus the first nuTrek movie was basically Star Wars 2.0.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
i.e. shaky cam, lens flares, and convoluted time travel plots.

You thought the first film's plot was convoluted?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Firefly218
Hope the Borg are introduced I highly doubt it but I'd like that a lot. If they do go Klingons I would love for them to experiment with their own super soldier based off what Khan did to them on their home world.

playa1258
I would like to see a Klingon war. They have bend building to that in the films and these films don't have to be a trilogy.

Robtard
Originally posted by playa1258
I would like to see a Klingon war. They have bend building to that in the films and these films don't have to be a trilogy.

It does seem so.

2267 was the year the Fed-Klingon war started in the original time-lime and ST:ID took place about 2260, so it's possible they could mirror the original.

quanchi112
I would like to see a Klingon war. They have bend building to that in the films and these films don't have to be a trilogy. I would love to see an all out war with the Klingons. I doubt it based off rumors of this films general premise.

Firefly218
Star Trek should be about exploration though, not war.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Firefly218
Star Trek should be about exploration though, not war. Why can't it have a war as well as exploration in it ? Why does it have to be one without the other ?

playa1258
These new Trek films have been portrayed as action films. Exploration would be better done on tv.

quanchi112
These new Trek films have been portrayed as action films. Exploration would be better done on tv. I think a balance between the two can be had. I agree that it would play on better on a TV series but the Nu films need to continue to have a good amount of action in them.

playa1258
Also like it or not we have never got a fleet space battle in any of the trek films. It has always been a small fleet of ships vs one super ship of doom. Not fleet vs fleet.

quanchi112
Also like it or not we have never got a fleet space battle in any of the trek films. It has always been a small fleet of ships vs one super ship of doom. Not fleet vs fleet. I hope the conflict really is gigantic in this fiftieth anniversary Trek film.

playa1258
They should go all out. Would be nice if Elba was playing a Klingon killing machine.

quanchi112
They should go all out. Would be nice if Elba was playing a Klingon killing machine. That is what I am hoping for if we don't get the Borg.

quanchi112
I also want to see more Sulu in action since he was formidable in hand to hand combat.

playa1258
Comic con is coming up so we should know more by than.

quanchi112
Comic con is coming up so we should know more by than. They need to start shooting soon since they want this released July of next year.

playa1258
They need to start shooting soon or there will be a delay.

quanchi112
They need to start shooting soon or there will be a delay. They won't put it up against Rogue One so they will really prefer to have it in the summer without delay.

playa1258
Or October/November could work.

quanchi112
Or October/November could work. Yes, that would work. It just needs to steer clear of Star Wars.

playa1258
It could be a bigger hit in that spot.

quanchi112
It could be a bigger hit in that spot. As long as it works out and assures more Star Trek I am game.

Robtard

quanchi112
Not having a villain is an absolutely horrific idea.

playa1258
I want to see if the Klingons came up with a counter to the dreadnaught class.

Robtard
I want to see if the Klingons came up with a counter to the dreadnaught class.

These Klingons had 12 years to study the Narada and it's 24th century Borg-hybrid tech.

So that's a story angle they could use.

playa1258
A film about a arms race would be a good way to show that.

quanchi112
I want to see if the Klingons came up with a counter to the dreadnaught class. I think Pegg denied Ilba is a Klingon but what's he going to say. I am still hoping he's some badass Klingon.

playa1258
Like a Klingon version of Khan.

quanchi112
Like a Klingon version of Khan. Lets not get crazy. They can try and imitate perfection but they will come up short.

playa1258
Klingons have natural advantages over humans, at least physically, though they probably would not be on Khan's level mentally.

quanchi112
Klingons have natural advantages over humans, at least physically, though they probably would not be on Khan's level mentally. Well we saw how easily Khan dispatched an entire squadron of them. If Ilba does turn out to be a Klingon he'd better be a badass.

Robtard

Klingons tried to create Augments of their own in the 22nd century, didn't turn out so well for them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/TOS-day_of_the_dove_klingons.png

BruceSkywalker

these klingons better be badass like Worf

playa1258
First scene should be a klingon fleet killing Khan via orbital bombardment.

Esau Cairn

I think Quanchi would prefer if Khan had an anal bombardment instead.

quanchi112

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I think Quanchi would prefer if Khan had an anal bombardment instead. If either of you say another disrespectful thing about Khan I'll kill you.

quanchi112
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/19/simon-pegg-says-original-star-trek-3-script-was-too-star-trek-y

Avengers actually had them scrap the trekY script. Great news. Screw the old trek and welcome the nu trek.

Robtard

Quincy
It's true, most criticism of big summer flicks and superhero stuff is met with "It's just an entertaining popcorn movie get over it."

quanchi112

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
So right here you agree with the notion the older films approach was better. I completely disagree and thank heavens they scrapped that shitty trek script. **** yeah.

Not sure when I didn't agree. I'm a longtime Star Trek fan and Star Trek to me is more than just explosions and flash.

You prefer Star Trek to be mindless and simplistic action movies, I need more than that; I need story and substance. Mr. Pegg agrees with me.

quanchi112
Not sure when I didn't agree. I'm a longtime Star Trek fan and Star Trek to me is more than just explosions and flash.

You prefer Star Trek to be mindless and simplistic action movies, I need more than that; I need story and substance. Mr. Pegg agrees with me. I do not consider either of the Nu Treks to be mindless with explosions and flash. If you believe they don't display themes aside from the action in them but hypocritically applaud Mad Max which was simplistic and all action then be a hypocrite.

I believe both of the Nu Treks had an excellent story. You don't. Continue to applaud the real mindless action film, mad max.

laughing out loud

Robtard
I do not consider either of the Nu Treks to be mindless with explosions and flash. If you believe they don't display themes aside from the action in them but hypocritically applaud Mad Max which was simplistic and all action then be a hypocrite.

I believe both of the Nu Treks had an excellent story. You don't. Continue to applaud the real mindless action film, mad max.

laughing out loud

No one cares what you think and we're talking about Pegg's article, comments and the future Star Trek movies, try and follow along.

quanchi112

You prefer Star Trek to be mindless and simplistic action movies, I need more than that; I need story and substance. Mr. Pegg agrees with me. Originally posted by Robtard
No one cares what you think and we're talking about Pegg's article, comments and the future Star Trek movies, try and follow along. You already agreed you preferred the older ones and that the newer ones aren't your thing. I disagree. Just go watch the old ones again or hypocritically champion Mad Max.

Robtard
You already agreed you preferred the older ones and that the newer ones aren't your thing. I disagree. Just go watch the old ones again or hypocritically champion Mad Max.

Your reading comprehension is outright awful. Shape up and stop crying. Mr. Pegg agrees with me smile

Bardock42
Oh calm down people. Sure Abrams is what made this franchise great but I have hope this can be quite good. I just hope this series never goes back to the boring and terrible ways pre reboot. Idris Ilba iirc is in talks to probably be the main baddie. They also stated the villain will most likely be an original character which sounds refreshing.

Idris Elba? Interest just went through the roof

quanchi112
Your reading comprehension is outright awful. Shape up and stop crying. Mr. Pegg agrees with me smile Mr. Pegg is helping to make the film. So he can balance it out. You already outright agreed you want the old trek back. I love Nu trek and don't think the movies are mindless action like your other beloved film, Mad Max.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Idris Elba? Interest just went through the roof

Elba should just be in everything.

Mindset
Originally posted by Bardock42
Idris Elba? Interest just went through the roof I am hard.

quanchi112
Elba's good but he's no Cumberbatch.

BruceSkywalker

except dc comic book movies lol

Esau Cairn

Dunno....I'm getting pretty tired seeing Jackson & Caine cameo in nearly every big action block buster these days.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Dunno....I'm getting pretty tired seeing Jackson & Caine cameo in nearly every big action block buster these days.

they are the type of actors you go too in certain roles

dadudemon
Bed Bath and Star Trek Beyond

Firefly218
Originally posted by dadudemon
Bed Bath and Star Trek Beyond

Boooooooooo

quanchi112
This sounds exciting to me. I liked the Nu Turks take on the Romulans and the Klingons but to take on new species, etc. completely unique is refreshing to the trek universe. Let's just hope it's done right and less trek-y than the original hideous films.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/-Star-Trek-3-Boldly-Go-Where-Star-Trek-Story-Has-Gone-71829.html

playa1258
A new species will be good. I wonder how long they will stick with Kirk and crew?

quanchi112
A new species will be good. I wonder how long they will stick with Kirk and crew? I have renewed optimism for the third one based on this article.

playa1258
If this film is successful they should just keep going.

quanchi112
If this film is successful they should just keep going. I hope it is and they do something similar to Star Wars. I'd love an expanded cinematic universe into the mythos of this new alternate Trek universe.

playa1258
So would I. The release date will help lots, hoping for over $500 million WW.

quanchi112
So would I. The release date will help lots, hoping for over $500 million WW. Yeah, I'm hoping for 600 million WW but only time will tell.

playa1258
Hopefully no Earth in this one.

quanchi112
Hopefully no Earth in this one. I just hope they really come up with a cool new species and a great new antagonist. I doubt they will be on earth at all either.

playa1258
And no more one on one battle against super ships of doom!

quanchi112
And no more one on one battle against super ships of doom! Well there's a little room for that.

Robtard

DARTH POWER
^ Sounds great. Get back to it's routes, while keeping the great chemistry they've between the characters. And you can still have it action packed.

Robtard
Exactly.

Wasn't overly excited over this director taking over the helm, but now with those comments I kind of am.

playa1258
He has his heart in it, which is always good.

BruceSkywalker
been a fan of lin for a while, trek 3 is in good hands

quanchi112
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Sounds great. Get back to it's routes, while keeping the great chemistry they've between the characters. And you can still have it action packed. Roots not routes.

laughing out loud

Man that was funny.

DARTH POWER
Roots not routes.

laughing out loud

Man that was funny.

Really?

You must still be crying over the "evidence based" spanking I've given you in the Versus forum.

quanchi112
Really?

You must still be crying over the "evidence based" spanking I've given you in the Versus forum. You avoided my evidentiary posts and just trolled in short paragraphs. Leave that to those threads and focus.

DARTH POWER
You avoided my evidentiary posts and just trolled in short paragraphs. Leave that to those threads and focus.

I provided clear visual evidence of what Yoda is capable of. And you're one to talk about trolling LMAO.

You've proven yourself as the Troll of KMC once again. That is an honor that will always be yours and yours alone.

quanchi112
I provided clear visual evidence of what Yoda is capable of. And you're one to talk about trolling LMAO.

You've proven yourself as the Troll of KMC once again. That is an honor that will always be yours and yours alone. Keep your trolling out of my Trek thread. Love me some NuTrek.

quanchi112
It begins.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/25/star-trek-3-begins-filming-in-canada?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=11&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=558c420f38805fd029000011

As the biggest NuTrek fan on this site hands down may I say, "**** yeah."

playa1258
Can't wait to see it.

-Pr-

Robtard
Originally posted by -Pr-
Definitely encouraging.

For sure, much better than Abram's previous "I was never a fan".

Though I've read that comment might have been a clever ploy to pique the interest of non ST fans and get them in the theater.

quanchi112
Can't wait to see it. I am still worried post Abrams what might happen to this franchise. I'll know next summer.

playa1258
Might get some info at comic-con.

quanchi112
Might get some info at comic-con. Anytime I hear someone loved the old series it makes me nervous this franchise could go the opposite route I prefer; the Abrams way.

BruceSkywalker
i continue to be looking forward to seeing this.... i am expecting a good story with a boatload of action ..

oh and hopefully spock won't need uhura's help in a fight big grin

-Pr-
For sure, much better than Abram's previous "I was never a fan".

Though I've read that comment might have been a clever ploy to pique the interest of non ST fans and get them in the theater.

It's possible. At least Abrams said that by the second movie, he'd come around. Though what that means when you look at Into Darkness, I'm not sure.

BruceSkywalker
It's possible. At least Abrams said that by the second movie, he'd come around. Though what that means when you look at Into Darkness, I'm not sure.

do you think Into Darkness would have been better with a better story and if they just had Cumberbatch say he was Khan instead of denying it?

quanchi112
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
do you think Into Darkness would have been better with a better story and if they just had Cumberbatch say he was Khan instead of denying it? No, the film was flawless and by far the best film of the entire trek series. **** the haters.

quanchi112
The studio signed the actors for a fourth Trek provided they decide to do so. What would be great is if this franchise could keep going while Star Wars shows no signs of slowing down at all. More fantasy and Sci fi the better.

playa1258
I want to see Picard and crew eventually.

quanchi112
I want to see Picard and crew eventually. I would be happy with at least four films of the old crew before they introduce Picard and company. Imagine how badass they could make Data in the Nutrek universe.

playa1258
The Enterprise D would be twice the size of the Vengeance.

quanchi112
The Enterprise D would be twice the size of the Vengeance. I just hope we see the Borg in the nu trek verse eventually.

playa1258
NuBorg would be a good idea.

-Pr-
do you think Into Darkness would have been better with a better story and if they just had Cumberbatch say he was Khan instead of denying it?

the film was good, but it had its faults. I did like it, but it did take a lot from WOK too.

I thought the first movie was better.

NuBorg would be a good idea.

as long as they don't **** it up like voyager did.

quanchi112
NuBorg would be a good idea. Let's just hope this series continues to sprout legs and if so doesn't wait too long in between films.

Robtard

as long as they don't **** it up like voyager did.

Yeah, those were bad days for the Borg.

Seven-Of-Nine though, would smash.

quanchi112
Title confirmed and a photo has been released.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-title-confirmed/

-Pr-
Yeah, those were bad days for the Borg.

Seven-Of-Nine though, would smash.

I was about to say "resistance is futile" but that seemed in bad taste.

BruceSkywalker
the film was good, but it had its faults. I did like it, but it did take a lot from WOK too.

I thought the first movie was better.

i agree

im not a fan of the title but i like lin's work so very excited for this

playa1258
The Enterprise need to not get taking out so damn easily.

BruceSkywalker
The Enterprise need to not get taking out so damn easily.

well something has to happen during a 2hour film stick out tongue

quanchi112
The Enterprise need to not get taking out so damn easily. I like that it often does as it seems more enjoyable when they have to overcome seemingly impossible odds.

playa1258
Happens way too much in the films. How many times do we need to see the Enterprise completely out-matched?

quanchi112
Happens way too much in the films. How many times do we need to see the Enterprise completely out-matched? I want them matched against crazy forces not sissies. Idris is supposedly a unique villain different than Khan. I like that as you should go off in new territories and can't replicate the best.

playa1258
So Enterprise gets smashed quickly again only for Kirk or Spock to try and figure out a way to win?

They should have went with a Klingon war with whole fleets fighting each other.

quanchi112
So Enterprise gets smashed quickly again only for Kirk or Spock to try and figure out a way to win?

They should have went with a Klingon war with whole fleets fighting each other. I agree but the ******* Trekkies put the bad vibe out there about Into Darkness. It was a superb film. I just hope this film has a comparable amount of hand to hand action.

playa1258
Fleet on fleet for the first time on the big screen would be better.

BruceSkywalker

They should have went with a Klingon war with whole fleets fighting each other.

if/when the klingons are in this, they need to be the warrior race that they are.. they need to have a lot of worf in them and not the cannon fodder version from Into Darkness

playa1258
Yep I would like for the Klingon weapons and military ability to be superior to the Feds because they put more emphasis on those things.

quanchi112
Fleet on fleet for the first time on the big screen would be better. I know but the damn Trekkies would be foaming at the mouths in disgust and say that's like Star Wars, man.

quanchi112
if/when the klingons are in this, they need to be the warrior race that they are.. they need to have a lot of worf in them and not the cannon fodder version from Into Darkness They were not fodder to anyone but Khan because he is that good.

BruceSkywalker
Yep I would like for the Klingon weapons and military ability to be superior to the Feds because they put more emphasis on those things.

exactly

Robtard
if/when the klingons are in this, they need to be the warrior race that they are.. they need to have a lot of worf in them and not the cannon fodder version from Into Darkness

Indeed, they're usually regulated to fodder with the exception of them fighting alongside the Federation.

quanchi112
Most generic characters are fodder. If Elba is a Klingon you can beat your ass he will be formidable.

Robtard
Weird. I don't think anyone believes Elba was added to the cast to be used as some disposable character.

quanchi112
Weird. I don't think anyone believes Elba was added to the cast to be used as some disposable character. So why would characters without any real presence, screen time, or personality be badasses ? Are random star fleet humans badasses ? Nah, so acting like Klingons are treated any differently is just your misconception on how movies work. These Klingons were obviously portrayed as greater than the humans and romulans Kirk and Spock tangled with anyways. They were only fodder to Khan.

Robtard
Yeah, you don't know what was being discussed and jumped in shouting like a child. Bruce and I were taking on Klingons in the bigger sense of Star Trek, not just Abrams films, which is a very small part of ST as a whole, being only two films. On paper, your average Klingon warrior should Be able to slap-down your average Fed personal. You're completely out of your element again, not having watched all the shows and OT and NG films.

But even in Into Darkness Kirk and Spock were easily taking them out, Uhura a 125lbs woman schooled at least one. You should really know this.

Quincy
I'm hoping Star Trek Beyond gets back to the real adventure root of the first movie.

quanchi112
Yeah, you don't know what was being discussed and jumped in shouting like a child. Bruce and I were taking on Klingons in the bigger sense of Star Trek, not just Abrams films, which is a very small part of ST as a whole, being only two films. On paper, your average Klingon warrior should Be able to slap-down your average Fed personal. You're completely out of your element again, not having watched all the shows and OT and NG films.

But even in Into Darkness Kirk and Spock were easily taking them out, Uhura a 125lbs woman schooled at least one. You should really know this. I was talking about the race in its entirety using logic and common sense. Work isn't a fodder character because he's a main character just like any other human being who is a main character. Kirk and Spock were above average and were clearly outmatched whereas just Kirk and Spock ran wild on those Romulans from the first film whose speeches is also superior to human beings.

Kirk was defeated. Uhura said they had no chance and only due to Khan did they. That group of Klingons was >Spock, Uhura, Kirk, and the other enterprise humans there. Give a Klingon a major role and we will see far more but as species go they were definitely >humans and the Romulans we have seen from the two films.

Robtard
No, you were not. You jumped in the convo not knowing what was being discussed, as noted.

Watch the clip, Kirk and crew were killing Klingons just fine, they were at a disadvantage due to the Klingon's superior numbers, ships and reinforcements.

quanchi112
No, you were no. You jumped in the convo not knowing what was being discussed, as noted. No, I didn't. I know when it comes to intelligence and articulating your points you're usually looking way up at pretty much everyone else save emperor Sidious or dark storm zero but this is just awful. Klingons aren't weak nor are they any different than any regular species on screen. I've explained this in the simplest of terms but apparently you're incapable of rational thought.

Robtard
Now you're flaming and trying to turn this thread into another shitfest as a distraction because you were wrong. Typical quanchi.

quanchi112
Now you're flaming and trying to turn this thread into another shitfest as a distraction because you were wrong. Typical quanchi. You aren't capable of rational thought. This is why you rarely ever debate anymore due to your limited intellect. Also the Klingons in the film weren't fodder only to Khan.

Your intellectual superior,

Quanchi112

Robtard
They were only fodder to Khan.

Also the Klingons in the film weren't fodder only to Khan.

Quanchi112

Now you've done a 180 in light of the facts i've mentioned. Lol, you ST ignorance is funny.

quanchi112
y

Now you've done a 180 in light of the facts i've mentioned. Lol, you ST ignorance is funny. My point has always been the same. They were only fodder to Khan. Generally faceless chasrdters aren't shown the same level of respect as major characters. Do you get it now, Roberta ?

Robtard
Lol, you're all over the place, this is typical of you though, you state a bunch of incorrect nonsense, get me (or another) to correct you, then you try and pass off that knowledge as coming from you, often in the same thread. Everyone who has argued with you knows this. It is well known around these parts.

Case in point:

They were only fodder to Khan.
Watch the clip, Kirk and crew were killing Klingons just fine, they were at a disadvantage due to the Klingon's superior numbers, ships and reinforcements.
Also the Klingons in the film weren't fodder only to Khan.

Quanchi112

You're done here. Go to bed or something.

quanchi112
Lol, you're all over the place, this is typical of you though, you state a bunch of incorrect nonsense, get me (or another) to correct you, then you try and pass off that knowledge as coming from you, often in the same thread. Everyone who has argued with you knows this. It is well known around these parts.

Case in point:

You're done here. Go to bed or something. Weren't fodder; only to Khan.

A few Klingons overtook Kirk. Physically they were far greater than Kirk who managed to gun a few down. I've always maintained they were fodder to only Khan. The only reason they survived is because Khan went through them like nothing but he also had the three from the enterprise at his mercy as well. They were simply in awe of Khan. smile

Klingons>Romulans>humans.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quincy
I'm hoping Star Trek Beyond gets back to the real adventure root of the first movie.

I think you were there, a few pages back there is an article and it seems the director wants to go back to ST roots.

BruceSkywalker
on set video from star trek beyond...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/350831-star-trek-beyond-set-video-reveals-sofia-boutella

playa1258
New Alien race nice. I also heard that that woman is for superior to Khan.

quanchi112
New Alien race nice. I also heard that that woman is for superior to Khan. Impossible.

playa1258
Khan is no where near top dog in Trek.

quanchi112
UOriginally posted by playa1258
Khan is no where near top dog in Trek. Khan is the greatest adversary the Enterprise has ever faced. In the film.

Khan as one guy took on Starfleet and shit down the Klingons throats on their home world.

playa1258
A member of Species 8472 would beat Khan easily.

quanchi112
A member of Species 8472 would beat Khan easily. Hush, you little weasel. Khan is the top dog. Hands down. wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>