Rank Grant Morrison's Metatextual Beings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
In no order:

Thought Robot
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/TR_zpsbedjun9v.jpg

Mandrakk
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/MK_zpsb3u4owi6.jpg

Ultra
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/UA_zps1mzkzava.jpg

The Gentry
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/GENTRY_zpsglc4wfcy.jpg

The Empty Hand
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/EH_zpsrybkna3f.jpg

Galan007
The Empty Hand
Thought-Robot/Mandrakk/The Gentry
Ultra

Golgo13
Originally posted by Galan007
The Empty Hand
Ultra

Wow, what makes you think Empty Hand>>Cosmic Armor Supes?

Blockythe1guy
Would The Empty Hand be beyond michael and lucifer?

Or even the Great Evil Beast?

Golgo13
Originally posted by Blockythe1guy
Would The Empty Hand be beyond michael and lucifer?

Or even the Great Evil Beast?

Way beyond Michael or Lucifer, IMO.

krisblaze
Empty hand is difficult to gauge, but considering that he's above nix uotan, the gentry, etc, then he might be beyond even the thought robot and mandrakk...

Difficult to say, but I think Morrison's telling us that he's beyond Mandrakk or at the very least his equal.

cdtm
Don't forget the Decreator.

Basically the shadow of Alan Moore's Great Evil Beast.

And it was never stopped. The best Black Alice could do was slow it down by transmitting cosmic static from an old building (That plays nicely into the later idea that to destroy Earth is to destroy the multiverse)

Blockythe1guy
Also, What would the Metatextual Beings from Swamp Thing rank as well?

Golgo13
Originally posted by cdtm
Don't forget the Decreator.

Basically the shadow of Alan Moore's Great Evil Beast.

And it was never stopped. The best Black Alice could do was slow it down by transmitting cosmic static from an old building (That plays nicely into the later idea that to destroy Earth is to destroy the multiverse)

Totally forgot about Decreator. Morrison, right?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/DR_zpsal1wle8d.jpg

Golgo13
Originally posted by Blockythe1guy
Also, What would the Metatextual Beings from Swamp Thing rank as well?

These guys?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/ST_zpsojl1xywm.jpg

Blockythe1guy
Originally posted by Golgo13
These guys?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/ST_zpsojl1xywm.jpg

Yep.

cdtm
Totally forgot about Decreator. Morrison, right?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/DR_zpsal1wle8d.jpg

Yeah, Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Galan007
Wow, what makes you think Empty Hand>>Cosmic Armor Supes? The fact that he/it is far beyond The Gentry.

leonidas
gentry ultimately proved to be.....disappointing though, so not sure that, atm, it means much that he was beyond them. regardless of their metatextual existence, they still got their a$$ handed to them in the end. TEH could have thrown more and more and overwhelmed the heroes, obviously, but i don't think that, individually, they were very powerful. that bleed creature was going to devour hellmachine as well.

Golgo13
Didn't one of those Gentry creatures devour a universe?

Galan007
As far as the heroes 'beating' The Gentry, I think TEH allowed that to happen--hence E-23 Superman skeptically noting that the battle was "too easy" afterward:
http://i.imgur.com/DVvTloR.jpg
This holds especially true when we consider how easily Intellectron alone handled SuperJudge Nix Uotan in the first issue, as well as Ultra. /shrug

Anywho, I think TEH allowed the heroes to win, because he wanted them to come through the door and see him in the 'flesh'... He wanted them to know that he is controlling everything... He wanted them to know that they are up against impossible odds. Imo.

leonidas
As far as the heroes 'beating' The Gentry, I think TEH allowed that to happen--hence E-23 Superman skeptically noting that the battle was "too easy" afterward:
http://i.imgur.com/DVvTloR.jpg
This holds especially true when we consider how easily Intellectron alone handled SuperJudge Nix Uotan in the first issue, as well as Ultra. /shrug

Anywho, I think TEH allowed the heroes to win, because he wanted them to come through the door and see him in the 'flesh'... He wanted them to know that he is controlling everything... He wanted them to know that they are up against impossible odds. Imo.

maybe...but i think trying to gauge these guys relative to each other (intellectron vs ultra for example) is pretty tough to do. you could be right about TEH letting them win. i'm more inclined to believe that he simply didn't want to send in reinforcements though, as opposed to each of the gentry having been....less powerful somehow? or maybe each aspect can be broken down, (hence the multiple copies) and the heroes only faced one facet of each? maybe. guess we'll need to see more of them to adequately gauge. over all impression though: i am disappoint. sad

Galan007
Yeah, for a 9 issue series that took 6+ years to write, the ending was very poorly handled, imo. Shame, too, because the rest series is some of the best reading I've ever done.

Anyway, I REALLY wish we would have seen more of Quantum Supes. That guy is ungodly powerful(perhaps even moreso than The Gentry themselves), and one of the more interesting characters out there... But he 'ported to an unknown universe after reading Ultra Comics, and was MIA for the entire event.... Though maybe TEH arranged the events leading up to that, because he knew QS might pose a legit threat?

CatL18
I think that if thought robot power is truly story and concept of superman itself, nothing in comics can defeat that.
Off course it is only my opinion and I don't know whether TR is truly embodiment of Superman's story and concept or not.

leonidas
Yeah, for a 9 issue series that took 6+ years to write, the ending was very poorly handled, imo. Shame, too, because the rest series is some of the best reading I've ever done.

Anyway, I REALLY wish we would have seen more of Quantum Supes. That guy is ungodly powerful(perhaps even moreso than The Gentry themselves), and one of the more interesting characters out there... But he 'ported to an unknown universe after reading Ultra Comics, and was MIA for the entire event.... Though maybe TEH arranged the events leading up to that, because he knew QS might pose a legit threat?

maybe. i'd be a little surprised if it turned out TEH was concerned about QS though. i'm assuming his level will be...pretty extreme. tbh, i'm not sure WHAT anyone will do with QS. he is an awesome character. concept is fantastic--i would imagine he'll be turning up in operation justice incarnate. i wonder if ultra will show up there as well? pretty sure we'll see the super judge in there/ can't believe these characters would simply....disappear. i'm guessing that will be some sort of multiversal JL. could be very cool, and a nice way of keeping all these alternates alive in other stories.

of course, on the other side, it seems dc is getting RID of all the alternates. i find the timing of publication between convergence and multiversity....odd. both are HUGE events, but is it me, or do they seem utterly and diametrically opposed....? confused guess we'll need to wait ans see. and maybe hope...?

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
of course, on the other side, it seems dc is getting RID of all the alternates. i find the timing of publication between convergence and multiversity....odd. both are HUGE events, but is it me, or do they seem utterly and diametrically opposed....? confused guess we'll need to wait ans see. and maybe hope...? Supposedly they'll link-up. I'm not very convinced of that yet, though.

psycho gundam
This thread is a Prep-man wet dream

Sj_Sharp
Until now, from what I've seen, it is:

Dax Novu/Thought Robot
Empty Hand
Gentry
Ultra Comics

Remeber that Dax Novu is/was, by far, the most powerful son/probe of God/Source/Primal Monitor/Overvoid (whatever you want to call it).
Still, there is obviously more to come so things may change.

The Empty Hand
Ultra

Anyway, I REALLY wish we would have seen more of Quantum Supes. That guy is ungodly powerful(perhaps even moreso than The Gentry themselves)

If you think that Quantum Superman, albeit he obviously is very powerful, could somehow pose a threat to The Gentry, how can you put the latter on par with the likes of Dax Novu/CA?
In FC QS served only as a "medium" for the matter-antimatter fusion, for the rest, compared to Dax Novu, he was way out of his league.

krisblaze
The Gentry were also weaker in some universes it seemed, that might explain why they went down easy.

Assuming, of course, that TEH just didn't let them lose.

Omega Vision
The Empty Hand
Ultra
Admittedly I haven't read the series, but the fact that herald level superheroes can even combat The Gentry makes me think they shouldn't even be counted in the same breath as Mandrakk and CAS

zopzop
All I know is, the character design and art on Empty Hand is awesome.

leonidas
thumb up

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by psycho gundam
This thread is a Prep-man wet dream
Gushing..

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by zopzop
All I know is, the character design and art on Empty Hand is awesome.

A naked, horny man?

Blockythe1guy
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
A naked, horny man?

That has horns.

HORNSSSS.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sj_Sharp
If you think that Quantum Superman, albeit he obviously is very powerful, could somehow pose a threat to The Gentry, how can you put the latter on par with the likes of Dax Novu/CA?
In FC QS served only as a "medium" for the matter-antimatter fusion, for the rest, compared to Dax Novu, he was way out of his league. QS also said that he was the endgame of the IDEA that spawned the likes of Superman and Ultraman... And even at a base level, the idea/story of Superman and Ultraman was ultimately enough to overcome Mandrakk, when placed in a higher-dimensional receiver(Thought-Robot.) QS is basically the hyper-evolved version of that idea/story--that's why he was "beyond conflict" all together. That said, we simply do not know if he was out of his league, as he didn't care to fight one way or the other... But I digress.

Either way(because I really don't care about this argument), I said "perhaps" in the post you quoted. Perhaps=/=certainty. So yeah...

leonidas
should be an optional dictionary button beneath posts. i've had to do some clarifying recently too. mmm

Sj_Sharp
QS also said that he was the endgame of the IDEA that spawned the likes of Superman and Ultraman... And even at a base level, the idea/story of Superman and Ultraman was ultimately enough to overcome Mandrakk, when placed in a higher-dimensional receiver(Thought-Robot.)

Either way(because I really don't care about this argument), I said "perhaps" in the post you quoted. Perhaps=/=certainty. So yeah...

You said it yourself thoug: "when place in a higher-dimensional receiver": it was the Thought Robot which let Superman even comprehend what Dax Novu was, without it Superman would have been totally useless.
QS thus may be an end-game Superman-type character (and he surely is, since he seemed way beyond the likes of Superman and Ultraman), but indirectly putting him on such high-end level (through your comparison QS-Gentry-Mandrakk) it's stretching his place in the story arc beyond belief, as far as I'm concerned.
If anything, it would be interesting to discuss if QS elevated in the TR could make the latter even more powerful, considering that he rightly is a kind of "evolution" of the concept of Superman.

As for the second part: come on, don't get so attached to semantics like that: nobody here is assuming all of this as a certainty; you were the first to bring out what it looked like a personal belief and I simply replied with my own question.
But since you don't care, I'll leave just here.

Galan007
You've taking everything I've said grossly out of context, lol. We're done here. thumb up

Sj_Sharp
Ok, now it's more clear, it sounded strange indeed.
My apologies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.