The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.amazon.com/The-Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle/dp/0756404746

I recently started The Name of the Wind. I love the way this book is written. Even the dullest moments are fun to read. The main character is a bit narcissistic/arrogant, but thats overlookable considering how well made he is. All the characters and relationships in this book are believable. There were characters that were around for a max of 50 pages before they died or disappeared, and I still found myself actually sad about the loss.

The magic system he created is interesting too. I won't get into it too much, but it has an actual intellectual basis as to how it works instead of it being a flick-of-the-wand plot device. It has limits, and comes off as plausible which is rare for a fantasy novel.

If you haven't read it, the words I've given it doesn't do it justice. I highly recommend you check it out. You wont be disappointed. There are two books out right now. The last will likely come out in 2016, so there is a bit of a wait but it'll be worth it.

For those of you who have read it, what did you think?

http://i.imgur.com/SwvpzFV.jpg

Dreampanther
Freaking phenomenal. Can't wait for the third book.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Freaking phenomenal. Can't wait for the third book. Same. I was disappointed that I'd have to wait once I finished the second book. :/

Kento
I like the series... I totally hate Kvothe though. Auri though is awesome and the little short story Rothfuss did for her is so different than anything really and amazing. I am really waiting for the next book but from all I heard its gonna be a while because he's helping GRRM write Winds of Winter...

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Kento
I like the series... I totally hate Kvothe though. Auri though is awesome and the little short story Rothfuss did for her is so different than anything really and amazing. I am really waiting for the next book but from all I heard its gonna be a while because he's helping GRRM write Winds of Winter...

I agree about Auri and the short story - perfectly awesome. Why do you hate Kvothe, though? I really like him as a main character.

Kento
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I agree about Auri and the short story - perfectly awesome. Why do you hate Kvothe, though? I really like him as a main character. Just not a fan of the type of personality his younger self has. Can't stand them for the most part. His present self isn't so bad its just his past self that makes me not like him. The story is great though and the characters are done well. His two friends from school are like two of my favorite characters after Elodin and Auri. haha

Dreampanther
Fair enough. It would be much worse if you found him boring or one-dimensional. I actually like him precisely because of his flaws - being an arrogant little brat makes him a lot more interesting than a little goody two-shoes. Glad you are enjoying the rest of the books, though!

Kento
I kinda want to see if I can find the book that has Bast's story in it. But Idk if its worth buying one book with a bunch of stories I don't know anything about for one small story.

Balgoritin8
Nice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.