Ben Carson: 2016 GOP Presidential Candidate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Ben Carson seems interesting. He seems like he could be a strong GOP candidate.

Here are some of his policies and my opinions on them:

Evolution:

Ben Carson: does not support evolution. He seems to be against the idea but he has not strongly opposed to it, either.

My opinion: that's a negative against him. Evolution is almost assuredly a fact. There are only minor issues to work out, now. It should not be something we discuss in 2015 as a matter of debate (on whether or not it exists). It's not really debatable.

Homosexuality and Marriage

Ben Carson: he opposes same-sex marriage and thinks marriage should be between man and a woman. While he did say that homosexuality is a choice, he also admitted that he cannot pretend to know the situation of every single person.

My opinion: that's a negative against him. Human sexuality, which includes homosexuality, is a very complicated set of characteristics which includes genetics, epi-genetics, environment, and choice. Gay-marriage should be legal across the board. As well as any consenting adult civil unions.

Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

Ben Carson: strongly opposes it. Thinks it is one of the worst things America has done since slavery.

My opinion: I agree with Ben but not as strongly. It's a piece of shit legislation that did not go anywhere far enough to establishing a Universal Healthcare option: that's largely the GOP's fault. It's bad legislation. But there are definitely far worse things the US Government has done such as experiments on humans a la Nazi Germany. ACA needs to be scrapped and a true universal option worked.

Gun Control

Ben Carson: thinks semi-automatics need to be more closely regulated in big cities and areas with high crime. Supports the Second Amendment interpretation of the right to bear arms.

My opinion: I largely agree. Cities and high crime areas (not mutually exclusive sets) should be slightly more regulated. But I strongly support the right to bear arms.

Income Taxes

Ben Carson: advocates a flat tax.

My opinion: I agree. The short term fix for our tax problem is a well-designed flat tax solution. Long term would be something more akin to Texas' tax system (I like it).

Religious Perspective

Ben Carson: is a Christian and thinks: "As a Christian, I am not the least bit offended by the beliefs of Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Mormons, and so forth. In fact, I am delighted to know that they believe in something that is more likely to make them into a reasonable human being, as long as they don't allow the religion to be distorted by those seeking power and wealth."

My opinion: I largely agree with that. In fact, it is almost exactly what I believe. But I also believe the a-religion can be good, too. It's what you do with your beliefs (which can include atheism and so forth) that make it good or bad. I'm all for religious freedom and I love almost all religions.

Separation of Church and State

Ben Carson: believes there should be a separation of Church and State. Does not support government sponsored Prayer, for example.

My opinion: love it.

Economy and Jobs

Ben Carson: believes grooming our youth for success is key to a healthy job market. Believes that people should take 'even minimum wage jobs' to help people see success.

My opinion: I largely agree. But I would like to see something akin to a "guaranteed living wage." This is a libertarian concept. Something like every American is guaranteed at least 25k a year. My opinion is based on actual research. Ben seems to be 50-75% of the way there.

Unions

Ben Carson: thinks Unions are largely outdated.

My opinion: that's almost my exact opinion.

Abortion

Ben Carson: supports access to options but ideologically is against "convenience abortions." His words do not seem to be very strongly against "convenience abortions" meaning I don't think he openly opposes Roe v. Wade.

My opinion: I largely agree. But I still struggle with "convenience abortions." I support abortion, for sure, in cases of rape, incest, and medical necessity. But I am still on the fence about who has more rights on their body: the woman's or the unborn baby. So I have settled at 20 weeks being a nice cut off because we cannot seem to support babies outside the womb much sooner than that.

Affirmative Action

Ben Carson: seems to not support Affirmative Action and thinks programs like those should be directed at SES rather than race.

My opinion: I largely agree. I have seen and enforced AA, firsthand. It feels outdated and actually wastes money.

Marajuana Legalization

Ben Carson: opposes it except for medicinal use and calls MJ "a gateway drug."

My opinion: very much disagree. Legalize it for personal use. Treat it just like cigs.

Energy Independence

Ben Carson: strongly supports energy independence and heavy investment into renewable sources. Supports safely exploring more energy sources. Supports protecting the environment and being responsible with our energy ventures.

My opinion: that's my exact opinion. However, he seems to be a big supporter of the EPA. I think the EPA needs an overhaul.

Immigration

Ben Carson: supports a guest worker program like Canada's to help immigrants succeed. Thinks we need to better "control" our borders. Feels that the extreme "deportation" measures are not only offensive but also economically destructive.

My opinion: I largely agree. I like Canada's guest worker program. It seems pretty good. We could benefit from adopting a program more like that. I agree with his statement about the economy. I do not agree about getting tougher on the border. That's a waste of resources and power.

Foreign Policy

Ben Carson: thinks we need to have a more bi-partisan stance on our Foreign Policy. Thinks our foreign policy should be far less "political motives" and more about American's best interests. Has a very very strong "interventionist" perspective on foreign affairs. Is very quick to interfering with aggressive and violent factions like ISIS or the Taliban.

My opinion: I am 50-50 on this. I think we need to stop policing the world and do the exact opposite of what he suggests. However, I do think we should have more of a bi-partisan stance on our foreign policy. We also need to act more in American's best interests. I think this is better realized by less global policing, less wars, and less violence. So we have the same idea about acting in America's best interests and having a bi-partisan foreign policy, but he goes the exact opposite direction of me with his conclusions on what to do.

Military Size and Power

Ben Carson: thinks we need to have a good military force. But that we need to stop interfering and warring so much. This contradicts his foreign policy, in my opinion.

My opinion: I agree. This is almost my exact opinion. I think we need to reduce the military size and budget.

Sources:

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Ben_Carson_Principles_+_Values.htm

http://www.2016committee.org/issues

Please, post your opinions and thoughts on his positions. He seems like he could be a big contender from the GOP side. The GOP does not have much to put up against Hillary. I do enjoy competition. Maybe Ben will provide it?

I would not vote for him because we disagree on too many things. It would be great if someone made a thread exactly like this for Hillary Clinton.

Bardock42
When can we vote for this dadudemon fellow?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
When can we vote for this dadudemon fellow?

2024 is my current target date. I may push that to 2028. Depend on my coporate career. It would be nice if I can make connections and do a 2020 bid. smile

Bardock42
A dadudemon/Robtard ticket for 2024?

dadudemon
Back to the thread...

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Ben Carson seems interesting. He seems like he could be a strong GOP candidate.

Here are some of his policies and my opinions on them:

Evolution:

Ben Carson: does not support evolution. He seems to be against the idea but he has not strongly opposed to it, either.

Homosexuality and Marriage

Ben Carson: he opposes same-sex marriage and thinks marriage should be between man and a woman. While he did say that homosexuality is a choice, he also admitted that he cannot pretend to know the situation of every single person.

So he's an idiot and a hater thumb up

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
So he's an idiot and a hater thumb up

No, he's just not Obama

#hope

dadudemon
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
No, he's just not Obama

#hope

I laughed after the hash-tag. laughing

SayWhat
He does have a solid track record, makes me wonder if any Anita Hill things going on in his background.

Mindset
I hope you will all one day see that Ben Carson is the man we need.

He will lead us to nirvana.

Omega Vision
Never heard of him.

Tzeentch
Is he some kind of minority??!

Mindset
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Is he some kind of minority??! Yes, the only trustworthy man in Washington.

Carson 2016!

Mindset
I have a question for Hillary supporters.

A female president has never successfully lead the US through a time of economic problems; a female president has never even had a successful presidency in the US. Knowing this, do you really want Hillary to drive this great nation to failure?

Carson 2016, he's the right man for the job.

ares834
thumb up

Glad that someone gets it.

Mindset
What is Hillary Clinton's stance on ritual human sacrifice? Ben Carson spent most of his life saving the lives of others. Can you say the same about Hitlery Clinton? Does she support Chuthulu?

Ben Carson MD 2016.

Robtard
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Never heard of him.

Google told me:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/GFO106/BC001.png

SayWhat
Don't doctors have a god complex? Rand Paul now Ben Carson? Sure you want people like that running the world? Wasn't Howard Dean a doc too? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

Mindset
Originally posted by SayWhat
Don't doctors have a god complex? Rand Paul now Ben Carson? Sure you want people like that running the world? Wasn't Howard Dean a doc too? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! Politicians don't have a god complex?

If you're going to make sweeping generalizations, they definitely need to be included.

krisblaze
This guy sounds like a retard.

Good luck!

SayWhat
I guess now they would have a double god complex.

SayWhat
No medical doctor has been Prez.

SayWhat
That phrase yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is what caused Dean from making progress in the Dem primary a few election cycles back. It caused people to freak out because it seemed so creepy and scary.

https://youtu.be/l6i-gYRAwM0

Mindset
No medical doctor has been Prez. Except for Ben Carson who will become president in 2016.

SayWhat
A political thread and you don't know that?

The yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh part.

My bad.

No worries, it's all good.

God Bless.

Mindset
A political thread and you don't know that? I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

SayWhat
Ben is an outstanding speaker no question about it. But how does that make a great leader. Especially when every government function wants more money and more power, when americans want all those types to have less money and less power and all of that to stay with the people?

I am not Tea Party person, but a $20 trillion debt can't just keep going higher every year. Somethings gotta give besides cut every program except the military, and keep all the tax credit and deductions for business and individuals. It's not sustainable. At least he should do it a state government first to show that it can be done, or a city like Detroit. And then tackle the Fed government.

D.C. is just a money pit getting larger every year.

SayWhat
He will lose the marijuana vote, he is against legalization of mary jane.

SayWhat
It does make me wonder though, will blacks stick to their blood and vote for Ben and abandon the party ideology of Dems? Or is it because the blacks don't like a white woman running and revealing their misogyny?
A condundrum of sorts.

SayWhat
At the primary, it could be a way to have Hillary not win the nomination and perhaps split the dems and have a ABC dem candidate win the DEM nomination. Anyone But Clinton.

dadudemon
That phrase yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is what caused Dean from making progress in the Dem primary a few election cycles back. It caused people to freak out because it seemed so creepy and scary.

https://youtu.be/l6i-gYRAwM0

It was more of a "byyyyaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!"

Also, if Ben changed his stance on MJ, gays, gay marriage, and wanting to do military stuff in other countires, I'd vote for him.

Why can't I ever get a president I want? sad

Robtard
IMO, the best this cat can hope for in 2016 is running as someone's VP.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Robtard
IMO, the best this cat can hope for in 2016 is running as someone's VP. Because democrats are terrible politicians and republicans are shitty people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.