Is Episode III for PS2/Xbox still the best game for saber fighting?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hero of Python
I remember playing this a ton when I still had my PS2 hooked up...Dooku and Anakin were my favorite characters to duel with.

Has anything since then replicated saber combat as well as that game? I played TFU and it didn't really come close.

DarthAnt66
Played it a couple weeks ago with my two female friends.

They took great joy killing Obi-Wan over and over again.

Hero of Python
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Played it a couple weeks ago with my two female friends.

They took great joy killing Obi-Wan over and over again.

The alternate storyline was one of the better parts of that game. Suitless Vader + black robes and a red saber alone were worth it.

Jmanghan
No, by far, it goes to Jedi Academy, the best saber fighting in existence.

As for realism, there was a Star Wars game that had random Jedi, threw a lightsaber at them and they died, hit them once, they died, think it was for the PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360.

TFU on the PSP has pretty good saber battles and physics.

Tzeentch
I still prefer Jedi Academy's dueling mechanics. Had some good times with the RotS game though.

-Pr-
For lethality, definitely Jedi Academy.

I still think ROTS got the "flair" of the choreography the closest though.

NewGuy01
Cin Drallig and Kenobi were both pretty overgunned in that game, tbh. Yoda was practically useless, thinking about it.

|King Joker|
Serra was fun. Killing Mace was fun as well.

NewGuy01
Cin for some reason was stupidly fast. Like, he literally created afterimages with his attacks when no one else did, and his "strong" attack (Y or Triangle) was faster than a lot of guy's "quick" attack (X or Square) tbh.

carthage
Didn't Anakin ragdoll or choke out Mace in one of the cutscenes?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Cin for some reason was stupidly fast. Like, he literally created afterimages with his attacks when no one else did, and his "strong" attack (Y or Triangle) was faster than a lot of guy's "quick" attack (X or Square) tbh.

It seems fitting considering he's the Battlemaster and his focus is on lightsaber combat, so why wouldn't he have a fast attack?

NewGuy01
Cin shouldn't make Yoda look like a slow poke.

@Carthage yeah, he gripped and threw Mace into another room before they started fighting. To be fair, Mace wasn't even trying to fight Anakin until he did that.

Hero of Python
Originally posted by carthage
Didn't Anakin ragdoll or choke out Mace in one of the cutscenes?

I don't remember ragdolling but he tired Mace out, forced Mace into a corner, parried his last assault, and then blasted him out a window to his death.

Yeah I forgot about Jedi Academy. I actually tried hard to get good at that...people who were skilled could get fights that looked close to the movies. Still like someone said I think Ep III got the choreography down much better, even if the mechanics weren't as polished.

Sinious
Cin for some reason was stupidly fast. Like, he literally created afterimages with his attacks when no one else did,

LOL I remember that. I didn't know anything about him when I played the game so I thought this guy must be like the fastest duelist ever. big grin

NewGuy01
The Cin/Serra fight was the hardest in the game, too.

Hero of Python
Originally posted by Sinious
LOL I remember that. I didn't know anything about him when I played the game so I thought this guy must be like the fastest duelist ever. big grin

I finished the game long before I saw the movie (which was weird...they had the game come out a month before the film), and so I was all hyped waiting for the big Anakin vs Sera/Cin/Mace fight. Was a bit disappointed XD

I also missed that clip the game used for the Dooku fight where Lee says "just because there are two of you do not assume you have the advantage." Made Dooku seem like more of a badass.

Sinious
Wait.. what? The game came out before the movie? How is that even possible? lol

The Cin/Serra fight was the hardest in the game, too.

Meh, I don't think it was the hardest tbh.

I wish they had Yoda in the multiplayer section as well. He would probably be really bad to play with against Grievous though.

AncientPower
Jedi Academy easily.

The Merchant
Yoda sucked in the game. He only had one mission and it was boring and the clones who were like Ninjas were much harder to defeat using Yoda but with Obi-wan I easily slaughtered them like come on.

Fated Xtasy
You're all wrong, that damn Magna-guard level was terrible in RoTS screw that. Good game though. Cin was my favorite character there.

And as for the best lightsaber game. Jedi academy was so good, even if I always just spammed force choke stick out tongue

People won't remember it, but Star Wars: Obi-Wan has a special place in my nerdy heart as does Jedi Outcast. Great games.

Jmanghan
I'm sorry, but the saber mechanics were sub-par at best, there are tons of games that do it better, Battlefront 2 did it better, Elite Squadron wasn't quite as good, but meh.

Jedi Academy... I remember bringing it home for my Xbox and was stunned by the game, creating my own Jedi, finding out years later that Jaden Korr had defeated the spirit of one of the strongest sith lords of all time.

Up till that point, I had no idea the EU existed.

I'm detracting from the point. The MP for Episode III was fantastic, but the saber mechanics really weren't as great as some people vouch. Maybe some people are just stuck on the nostalgia leash.

Fated Xtasy
Battlefront copy pasted the same move set for all of the Jedi barring Maul, Sheev, Grevious, Yoda and Vader. I was only saying Star wars Obi wan because of nostalgia dude.

Lord Stark
Cin Drallig and Kenobi were both pretty overgunned in that game, tbh. Yoda was practically useless, thinking about it.

You couldn't play Yoda in dueling mode. Only in that one bonus mission stomping those Clone Troops.

Sinious
I remember a map in BF2 where armies of Jedi and Sith fought in Mos Eisley. It was hilarious and quite fun actually.

SunRazer
How did Battlefront do the saber mechanics better? Everybody only got a standard saber attack, a sprinting attack, and a jump attack. The RotS game had far more variety and combos.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Sinious
I remember a map in BF2 where armies of Jedi and Sith fought in Mos Eisley. It was hilarious and quite fun actually. Oh, the good ol' days.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by SunRazer
How did Battlefront do the saber mechanics better? Everybody only got a standard saber attack, a sprinting attack, and a jump attack. The RotS game had far more variety and combos. At least the hit detection, guard, stances, everything was better, it looked more realistic as opposed to ROTS' flashy combat.

Jmanghan
Also, if you have a vita, you can get BF2 off the PS Store with PS3 transferring to PS Vita.

Selenial
Did anyone ever try that clone wars dueling game on the Wii? Looked interesting.

God I haven't played the ROTS game in years, loved seeing all the alternative versions of characters in duels, like Obi Wan vs Obi Wan making one version a Sage-like outcast from tatooine with a green blade. Or a red saber grievous, that was awesome tbh.

Good game, Jedi Academy was good too. People still play online on that, I've got it on steam, play it for nostalgia every now and then...

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Selenial
Did anyone ever try that clone wars dueling game on the Wii? Looked interesting. I remember playing that when I was like 9... fun times.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Jmanghan

Jedi Academy... I remember bringing it home for my Xbox and was stunned by the game, creating my own Jedi, finding out years later that Jaden Korr had defeated the spirit of one of the strongest sith lords of all time.

I'm detracting from the point. The MP for Episode III was fantastic, but the saber mechanics really weren't as great as some people vouch. Maybe some people are just stuck on the nostalgia leash.

It kinda sounds like you are, tbh.

@Stark: I'm aware, but it doesn't change that he was pretty bad at everything.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by SunRazer
The RotS game had far more variety and combos.

Yeah, it had variety and combos, for Obi and Anakin. Everyone else was so limited. Especially Grevious and Ben.

Hero of Python
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Yeah, it had variety and combos, for Obi and Anakin. Everyone else was so limited. Especially Grevious and Ben.

Yeah if you memorized all the combos you could get a fight that sort of looked liked the Mustafar duel in the movie.

As for BF2 I don't remember it for having amazing saber mechanics, but it *was* tons of fun. That Mos Eisley level was great. I have fond memories of jumping on top of the guy playing as Vader and stabbing him in the back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.