Why does God not follow the Golden Rule? His best rule?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greatest I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-nHw0_Fos&feature=player_embedded

I have a hard time seeing God as --- doing unto others as he would want done to himself --- in the clip above. I cannot see God wanting someone to do what he did to the women who owned those wombs to him. He is therefore certainly not walking his talk or fallowing his own good advice.

It seems that people are more responsible than God as we are trying to get everyone on board the Golden Rule that God ignores.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
The golden rule was created by humans.

Genesis-Soldier
i thought jesus was the creator of the golden rule. some could argue by extention God did i suppose

i always figured it was a human thought to better ourselves with a small thought that had the possibility of snowballing into something great

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
i thought jesus was the creator of the golden rule. some could argue by extention God did i suppose

i always figured it was a human thought to better ourselves with a small thought that had the possibility of snowballing into something great

This reciprocity rule is in all major religious theologies and secular philosophies.

Many of these pre-date Christianity.

Read the Book of the Dead fort instance and you will se what is basically the 10 commandments.

<http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html>

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Regards
DL

Surtur
God doesn't even follow the commandments. The whole "thou shall not kill" thing. Notice it doesn't say "thou shall not kill..unless thou art punishing the wicked, then near genocide is acceptable".

That sounds like something a parent says to a young child: do as I say not as I do.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Surtur
God doesn't even follow the commandments. The whole "thou shall not kill" thing. Notice it doesn't say "thou shall not kill..unless thou art punishing the wicked, then near genocide is acceptable".

That sounds like something a parent says to a young child: do as I say not as I do.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Surtur

Many parents do say that but not the good ones.

If God does then he is quite the immoral parent.

Regards
DL

dyajeep
Originally posted by Greatest I am

here we go again...

you're just lucky that most people comments on your posts are either atheists, people who hate God, and people who don't understand Christianity...

"And He said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
Mark 2:27-28

the problem here is, you treat God as if He was someone who is on our level, i.e. on a human being level... maybe you forgot that God is the creator...

but scrap that, since most of you don't believe in God anyway... and comparing Him to humans exposes your error in your knowledge about God (Biblically speaking)...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.