Is the UNSC evil?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AgentJay04
I known Halo has had a few TV series and movies but its more of a game. But here is my question. After Master Chief goes rogue in Halo 5 and ONI has always been kind of secretive, is the UNSC evil. I mean the games or books never give a clear reason why the Insurrection happened. Maybe the Innies know something we don't about the UNSC and UEG.

Tzeentch
Initially they weren't necessarily "evil" any more then you could say that a modern superpower is "evil". The UNSC (ONI in particular) is basically the equivalent of the NSA/CIA of today, shadowy and a little shady, but a necessary component of defense.

It wasn't until later in the series, essentially around Halo Reach and the jump from Bungie to 343i that they became this Orwellian big brother type organization that regularly commits atrocities.

EDIT- It's worth preemptively pointing out that while the SPARTAN program was straight up morally reprehensible (kidnapping toddlers from colony planets and then brainwashing them into becoming sociopathic super-soldiers who's sole purpose is to kill colonists), the SPARTAN program was only one, very specific program out of dozens of programs ONI had going on.

Spawningpool
Well no. They only kidnapped children and turned them into super soldiers

AgentJay04
Originally posted by Spawningpool
Well no. They only kidnapped children and turned them into super soldiers

Well the UNSC basically left the Outer Colonies to fend for themselves. That's why there was a general distrust of UNSC officials in the Outer Colonies. Like if you saw Halo: Nightfall, the Sedran Colonial Guard was distrusting of the ONI team at first. They only worked out of necessity. The Colonies had the Colonial Military Administration as its major military protection. It was basically the UNSC's counterpart in the Colonies. Here is a part from Halopedia.

At the time of the CMA's formation, the UNSC's Naval Command and Unified Ground Command were convinced that their own resources were better spent on operations within the Sol system, and left the interstellar colonies to be protected by the CMA

Darth Truculent
The main reason why Chief goes rogue is because he starts to question what the UNSC taught him to believe. Cortana asked him to figure out who the machine was: John or Cortana

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.