Iron Fail

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
OK, I think it needs its own thread.

Iron Man 1 was a brilliant movie that I enjoyed re-watching quite a few times. Cannot say the same about parts 2 and 3. And now it looks like there won't be any future IM movies.

How could they fail so miserably...?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
OK, I think it needs its own thread.

Iron Man 1 was a brilliant movie that I enjoyed re-watching quite a few times. Cannot say the same about parts 2 and 3.

thumb up

IM1 is definitely in my top 5 favorite superhero movies of all time. Absolutely love that movie.

Then IM2 was a big let down and IM3 I just hate with a passion.

And now it looks like there won't be any future IM movies.

How could they fail so miserably...?

It's the Transformers thing. The first one was so great, and because IM had quickly become the most popular of the Avengers, they just wanted to cash in the sequels asap.

They were a bit lazy with Thor:TDW as well.

But compare those sequels to Captain America, who wasn't the most popular after CA1 and TA1. So they really made the effort with his sequel, and it really paid off.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
thumb up

IM1 is definitely in my top 5 favorite superhero movies of all time. Absolutely love that movie.

Then IM2 was a big let down and IM3 I just hate with a passion.

100% agreed. IM2 was... what's the word? Average, mediocre? And the less said about the part directed by Black, the better.

It's the Transformers thing. The first one was so great, and because IM had quickly become the most popular of the Avengers, they just wanted to cash in the sequels asap.

And here we don't agree, lol. I wasn't impressed by Transformers 1. Maybe I'm just not a fan. It bored the hell out of me. Haven't seen the sequels.

They were a bit lazy with Thor:TDW as well.

I genuinely enjoyed both Thors. TDW possibly to a greater extent, even.

But compare those sequels to Captain America, who wasn't the most popular after CA1 and TA1. So they really made the effort with his sequel, and it really paid off.

Yeah, Russo brothers have done an incredible job.

Femi32
Marvel wanted Iron Man 2 to be a setup for Avengers, so that's why it was a letdown. Jon Favreau was originally going to use the Mandarin as the villain instead of Whiplash.

DARTH POWER

And here we don't agree, lol. I wasn't impressed by Transformers 1. Maybe I'm just not a fan. It bored the hell out of me. Haven't seen the sequels.

Well doesn't matter if you didn't enjoy it. Point being the first one was generally liked, then the sequels all made loads of money despite most people generally hating them.

I genuinely enjoyed both Thors. TDW possibly to a greater extent, even.

It's good you enjoyed the second. I just found it to be Meh, but I really enjoyed the first one. Still I'm pretty sure TDW failed to excite people to see more Thor the way Thor 1 and Avengers did. Or the way Cap2 did for Cap.

StiltmanFTW
Well doesn't matter if you didn't enjoy it. Point being the first one was generally liked, then the sequels all made loads of money despite most people generally hating them.

I see, I see.

JayDaDon
I agree, the Iron man series as a whole, especially after reading his run, leaves ALOT to be desired. The first Iron man was great, but even as good as it was, the final fight was shit and that always craps on a good movie.

StiltmanFTW
I liked the final fight with Iron Monger.

It was much better than fighting cannon fodder drones and "Crimson Whiplash" at the end of IM2. Or cannon fodder extremis mutates in IM3.

Btw, I'll never understand how can you make a movie partially based on Warren Ellis' work and screw up literally everything.

JayDaDon
I was underwhelmed. That was the one big fight in the whole movie and tony got pretty much phucked up until pepper showed up. It should have been a longer fight imo. Didnt need a plot device to beat Stane either coulda just used that anti tank missile from earlier lol

Golgo13
Iron Man 3 wasn't that bad of a movie. For me, all they had to do was get rid of the lame humor (Not talking about Mandarin) and it would have been so much better.

The same with the Thor movies. I'm not that hard of a sell with comedy, but I found myself rolling my eyes. Take away or replace it with BETTER humor and it becomes 10x better in my eyes.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Golgo13
Iron Man 3 wasn't that bad of a movie. For me, all they had to do was get rid of the lame humor (Not talking about Mandarin) and it would have been so much better.

But the lame humor (including the Mandarin) is what made up the whole film. There was nothing else to that film.

Take out the lame humor (including the Mandarin) and it was still a very MEH movie at best.

Golgo13
I didn't mind the whole Mandarin thing, though. The humor I didn't like was John Fareu's parts and Tony's interaction with the kid. All pretty dumb. I'm surprised John did so badly on IM 2, he usually knocks it out of the park. Chef, Elf, Made, etc...

All fantastic, hilarious movies,.

StiltmanFTW
But the lame humor (including the Mandarin) is what made up the whole film. There was nothing else to that film.

Precisely.

(...) Tony's interaction with the kid.

That was the worst. Had to stop the movie during one of those scenes.

DARTH POWER
I'm surprised John did so badly on IM 2, he usually knocks it out of the park. Chef, Elf, Made, etc...

All fantastic, hilarious movies,.

Wasn't his fault Imo. Sequel was rushed and was more of an advert for Avengers than it was a film onto it's own.

Still I prefer it to IM3, and think Favreau would have brought back his Mojo if they kept him on for the 3rd.

Golgo13
Supposedly, it was Kevin Fiege who interfered.

StiltmanFTW
Keeping Jon for the third would've certainly done less harm than picking Black, that's for sure.

Golgo13
I feel Black's a better director, though.

DARTH POWER
I feel Black's a better director, though.

Shows not all good directors are suited to doing superhero movies.

Golgo13
Shows not all good directors are suited to doing superhero movies.

That maybe true, but what if it was Marvel's overall direction to fault? Wouldn't be the first time a director has disagreed with them.

DARTH POWER
That maybe true, but what if it was Marvel's overall direction to fault? Wouldn't be the first time a director has disagreed with them.

With IM3?

Nah. That movie had zero impact on the greater Marvel Universe.

Heck Avengers AOU completely ignored the ending of IM3.

Good Director's with a real passion for the comic book franchise they're working on is what's always needed.

Kazenji

Possibly could be it

Black also has plans to do a new Doc Savage movie.

basilisk
IM was one of the best of the current crop of superhero films. The final fight was not the greatest but still an OK end to a good film.

IM2 and 3 were nothing but fail. Hard to say which was worse, both were bad for different reasons.

JayDaDon
I actually didn't hate IM2 as much as most. It was like they pumped in the action that IM1 lacked. Its clearly a lot more popcorn than IM1 but when its on TV I tune in.

Kazenji
I'm in the same boat with JayDaDon for IM2.

DARTH POWER
IM2 actually made me laugh a lot on repeated viewings. Justin Hammer as the evil Tony Stark wannabe was fracking hilarious. And at least Rhodey got his fair share of action in it as well.

I guess IM2 was more of an initial disappointment (given the quality of the first) than anything else.

StiltmanFTW
I didn't like the young Justin version. It was to me *almost* as bad as the Mandarin twist. Turning a formidable villain into a joke, ffs.

Not a fan of mixing Whiplash and Dynamo, either. Rourke's performance was good, though.

Anyway, IM 2 was a watchable movie, seen it a few times... I doubt I'd be able to rewatch the entire IM 3 without puking.

Kazenji
Well they've fixed up the Mandarin problem, Now its up to Marvel going ahead and actually using the real one in a 4th movie.

DARTH POWER

Not a fan of mixing Whiplash and Dynamo, either.

Yeah that was weird.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Well they've fixed up the Mandarin problem,

Unfortunately that doesn't fix IM3 as a movie.

StiltmanFTW
Unfortunately that doesn't fix IM3 as a movie.

Well said.

Newjak
I feel like this thread goes in with the conclusion that IM3 was the only good IM or successful IM movie. That we all automatically should come to the conclusion that the solo series as whole has been mediocre and a failure with the first being the only exception. I do not agree with that conclusion.

While personally I do think IM 1 was my favorite IM2 I thought was also good and was successful in terms of box office revenue.

Of course in terms of box office revenue IM3 blows them out of the water but I know the argument that even if it made money it was a poor quality movie.

Honestly I've only ever seen IM3 once so I do not know if my opinions on the movie would change with repeat showings. Still I do not think IM3 was a terrible movie. Yeah there were things I did not like but it also had some good parts as well specifically it had good humour and high production value. Overall I would not rank it as a poor movie. More of an average movie that did exceptionally well at the box office.

Now obviously this is pretty subjective for the most part and I'm not trying to invalidate people's dislike of the movie. However I just want to point out not everyone shares those opinions. Or think that this movie series was overall a disappointment.

DARTH POWER
^ We are aware of that. Firefly always defends IM3.

But at the very least I'm sure the majority would agree the IM sequels were a big step down from the Original.

Newjak
^ We are aware of that. Firefly always defends IM3.

But at the very least I'm sure the majority would agree the IM sequels were a big step down from the Original. Probably but once again that does not make them failures.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Newjak
Probably but once again that does not make them failures.

Well financially speaking the trilogy was obviously a massive success.

But in terms of quality(which is of course subjective) it was a massive failure to many of us. Failure to meet our expectations (which can sometimes be unfair). But for me personally, just failure to entertain, and instead making me facepalm.

StiltmanFTW
Tony in Avengers 1 was like Iron Man 3 we deserved.

Someone from KMC said it (or something similar to that), IIRC, and I totally agree.

DARTH POWER
Tony in Avengers 1 was like Iron Man 3 we deserved.

Someone from KMC said it (or something similar to that), IIRC, and I totally agree.

thumb up

quanchi112
Well financially speaking the trilogy was obviously a massive success.

But in terms of quality(which is of course subjective) it was a massive failure to many of us. Failure to meet our expectations (which can sometimes be unfair). But for me personally, just failure to entertain, and instead making me facepalm. Entirely subjective and from your own perspective.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by quanchi112
Entirely subjective and from your own perspective.

Which is exactly what I said you troll.

Golgo13
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Which is exactly what I said you troll. I am glad to see you cocmeded then to me. smile

Darth Luminous
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Heck Avengers AOU completely ignored the ending of IM3.

No.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.