Sentry - Hyperion - Blue Marvel - Gladiator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supermex
Of the 4 characters who would do best in a solo on going long-trem comic book series? Why ?

Sentry (Non-Void)

Vs

Hyperion

Vs

Blue Marvel

Vs

Gladiator

In a fight who wins?

Who wins?
No Prep..
B.F.R..

riv6672
In a series?
Best to worst...
1. Blue Marvel
2. Hyperion
3. Gladiator
4. Sentry

The above is the order of who i personally would like to see in a solo series. BM seems the most down to earth,certainly the most likable, with a personal life, ties to the MU super community.
Hyperion and Gladiator are likely to be space operas, historically not my favorite genre with rare exceptions, though Hyperion looks more open to different stories. Sentry i have zero interest in and would never crack the book ever. Ever.

In a fight?
First to fall to last man standing...
1. Sentry
2. Gladiator
3. Hyperion
4. Blue Marvel

The above order is based on the fact that i think everyone would dog pile Sentry, who's basically just a straight up villain, and dangerous to boot.
Gladiator'd likely then try and blitz Hype and BM once Sentry was down but wouldnt be able to deal with two comparably powered opponents.
Then it'd be Hype and BM and, i give it to BM.

basilisk
Ha... they probably would all dogpile Sentry and beat him up, unless he went dark and voided out on them.

As far as solo series go:

Sentry - he has the potential to be the most powerful of all of them. But there's the problem: either he's going to get depowered half the time or worse, constantly jobbed out, because otherwise there isn't a fight most of the time against earth-based opponents. I already get sick of Superman getting depowered and jobbed so much. The dark side of Sentry could lead somewhere interesting in the right hands, but most writers probably couldn't do anything with it. Current DS Sentry again isn't really solo book material and he's far too powerful to hang around on earth.

Gladiator - I actually think that a solo series of Gladiator (non-emperor version) crossing over with his activities in the Imperial Guard could have been a great addition to Marvel Cosmic line once upon a time. But that time has gone and I don't think it would do well in current Marvel. You just know if you opened this book these days it would be crap art, half-baked stories and Bendisspeak.

Blue Marvel - I always saw Blue Marvel as a fanboy character. The writer tried to just cram too much in - he's like Superman, but he's also a genius, oh and he's a military hero too, and also he's best friends with the Watcher, and he's been around longer than the other heroes, and he knows the other heroes - all in his first couple of issues. I think the writer said he thought up Blue Marvel as a child - and it shows.
On the other hand he has the most well-rounded character because he is a human guy with a human background, family etc and they have spent some time on this. Potential is there, but he just isn't that interesting so far.

Hyperion - he's a bit of a cypher. There's not much to him personality wise. Maybe there's potential there but I prefer him in a team book.

They would probably all end up doing a lot of jobbing in an ongoing solo series. BM would hold at the longest because he is a "diversity" character and protected somewhat, but even he would job eventually.

So for me it's a toss up between Gladiator and BM. Glads for the cosmic lineup and BM mainly earth-based. In current Marvel I fear neither would be worth the read.

riv6672
Not too shabby. Good stuff.
Have to post my obligatory "your reasoning for BM (...fanboy character...he's like Superman, but he's also a genius...and also he's best friends with the Watcher, and he's been around longer than the other heroes, and he knows the other heroes - all in his first couple of issues. I think the writer said he thought up Blue Marvel as a child - and it shows) actually applies to Sentry as well. Except Sentry was done in a horrendously bad manner.

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by riv6672
Not too shabby. Good stuff.
Have to post my obligatory "your reasoning for BM (...fanboy character...he's like Superman, but he's also a genius...and also he's best friends with the Watcher, and he's been around longer than the other heroes, and he knows the other heroes - all in his first couple of issues. I think the writer said he thought up Blue Marvel as a child - and it shows) actually applies to Sentry as well. Except Sentry was done in a horrendously bad manner.

Sentry is described as the oldest hero as far as I know but anyway.

What is it you dislike about the Sentry Riv?

riv6672
Seriously, everything. From the fake found in a filing cabinet deal to shoe horning him into MU history to his Superman leanings to his heel face turn.
Everything is just awful.
When i heard about BM, i thought "Wtf? Again?!?" Which is why i was pleasantly surprised at how well he was brought in.
I hope my answer doesnt piss you off, i completely have no problem with you whatsoever.

One_Angry_Scot
Seriously, everything. From the fake found in a filing cabinet deal to shoe horning him into MU history to his Superman leanings to his heel face turn.
Everything is just awful.
When i heard about BM, i thought "Wtf? Again?!?" Which is why i was pleasantly surprised at how well he was brought in.
I hope my answer doesnt piss you off, i completely have no problem with you whatsoever.

No it's fine. You're 100% entitled to your opinion.

I like the Sentry as a character not only for his story but for personal reasons that are very important to me.

I don't see a problem with someone having a differing opinion.

basilisk
I actually liked Sentry at times, disliked him a lot at other times. Yeah, the 'origin' was a bit contrived. He never seemed like a long term character to me, more of an "arc" character - coming in, turning evil, maybe with some redemption before dying. I guess ending up in his current form somewhere out in space is as good an end as any, but he's far too powerful now to be an earth-based hero. Not really solo book material.

riv6672
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
No it's fine. You're 100% entitled to your opinion.

I like the Sentry as a character not only for his story but for personal reasons that are very important to me.

I don't see a problem with someone having a differing opinion.
I've always liked how well spoken you are in defense if him.

Supermex
Originally posted by basilisk
Ha... they probably would all dogpile Sentry and beat him up, unless he went dark and voided out on them.

As far as solo series go:

Sentry - he has the potential to be the most powerful of all of them. But there's the problem: either he's going to get depowered half the time or worse, constantly jobbed out, because otherwise there isn't a fight most of the time against earth-based opponents. I already get sick of Superman getting depowered and jobbed so much. The dark side of Sentry could lead somewhere interesting in the right hands, but most writers probably couldn't do anything with it. Current DS Sentry again isn't really solo book material and he's far too powerful to hang around on earth.

Gladiator - I actually think that a solo series of Gladiator (non-emperor version) crossing over with his activities in the Imperial Guard could have been a great addition to Marvel Cosmic line once upon a time. But that time has gone and I don't think it would do well in current Marvel. You just know if you opened this book these days it would be crap art, half-baked stories and Bendisspeak.

Blue Marvel - I always saw Blue Marvel as a fanboy character. The writer tried to just cram too much in - he's like Superman, but he's also a genius, oh and he's a military hero too, and also he's best friends with the Watcher, and he's been around longer than the other heroes, and he knows the other heroes - all in his first couple of issues. I think the writer said he thought up Blue Marvel as a child - and it shows.
On the other hand he has the most well-rounded character because he is a human guy with a human background, family etc and they have spent some time on this. Potential is there, but he just isn't that interesting so far.

Hyperion - he's a bit of a cypher. There's not much to him personality wise. Maybe there's potential there but I prefer him in a team book.

They would probably all end up doing a lot of jobbing in an ongoing solo series. BM would hold at the longest because he is a "diversity" character and protected somewhat, but even he would job eventually.

So for me it's a toss up between Gladiator and BM. Glads for the cosmic lineup and BM mainly earth-based. In current Marvel I fear neither would be worth the read.

Maybe (Sentry) is better as a villain..

I think alot more can be done with (Blue Marvel) and he would be my pick for a solo series for many reasons mentioned by others. Even a illuminati role should be offered to him.

(Gladiator) can stay in space. I like the role he has now.

(Hyperion) I like the idea of him more of a team guy like he is now.

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by Supermex
Maybe (Sentry) is better as a villain..

I think alot more can be done with (Blue Marvel) and he would be my pick for a solo series for many reasons mentioned by others. Even a illuminati role should be offered to him.

(Gladiator) can stay in space. I like the role he has now.

(Hyperion) I like the idea of him more of a team guy like he is now.

As far as I remember Blue Marvel detests the idea of the Illuminati. Although I may be wrong.

Supermex
As far as I remember Blue Marvel detests the idea of the Illuminati. Although I may be wrong.

I Dont remember that..

One_Angry_Scot
I Dont remember that..

Yeah him and Reed had a argument.

It's safe to say he hates the Illuminati.

Him along with Monica Rambeau.

http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t/23273112_1.jpg http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t/23273114_2.jpg

From - The Last Days of Captain America and The Mighty Avengers

In case you wanted to have a closer look.

Supermex
Yeah him and Reed had a argument.

It's safe to say he hates the Illuminati.

Him along with Monica Rambeau.

http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t/23273112_1.jpg http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t/23273114_2.jpg

From - The Last Days of Captain America and The Mighty Avengers

In case you wanted to have a closer look.

Thanks Angry

One_Angry_Scot
Thanks Angry

No problem.

Supermex
No problem.

Dam Angry , well that settles that lol

Tell you what.. I like that pairing of Monica & Adamsmile

They make a nice power couple.

riv6672
Noce scans.
Man, i dislike Reed more and more.

Supermex
Noce scans.
Man, i dislike Reed more and more.

lol I think I'm with on Reed..

I like Hank Pym alitte more than Reed when it comes to the brainy guys as character.

riv6672
For sure.

Hyperion Prime
Of the 4 characters who would do best in a solo on going long-trem comic book series? Why ?

Sentry (Non-Void)

Vs

Hyperion

Vs

Blue Marvel

Vs

Gladiator

In a fight who wins?

Who wins?
No Prep..
B.F.R..

I would rather read a Blue Marvel book over the others. Way more interesting character. Awesome character in Mighty Avengers. Next would be Hyperion, Gladiator and then Sentry.

In a fight not even including Sentry. I think BM is stronger than Glads and Hyperion. Heck BM actually beat old school Sentry and knocked him out. Everything was going BM way until he was dog piled on.

Supermex
Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
I would rather read a Blue Marvel book over the others. Way more interesting character. Awesome character in Mighty Avengers. Next would be Hyperion, Gladiator and then Sentry.

In a fight not even including Sentry. I think BM is stronger than Glads and Hyperion. Heck BM actually beat old school Sentry and knocked him out. Everything was going BM way until he was dog piled on.

I'm with you on this

riv6672
Who dog piled him?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.