Comic Book Artists vs Writers on picking powers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
There are both great artists and writers. Sometimes their art is, great, good, okay art, but the writing sucks or the art sucks and the writing is great, good, okay, at times they both just suck. The artist does the art work and design, the writer makes the stories, character back stories, he writes.

When it comes down to creative control on picking powers for a character, who's job is that? who comes up with Super has these powers? it's a good idea or maybe he shouldn't have this/these power/powers?

So, artists vs writers.

The Nuul
If this thread sucks, please close it.

One_Angry_Scot
Are you saying like. Say for example Sentry.

He has the power to manipulate molecules. Should that be the writers decision or the authors because to decide whether to actually implement that.

I guess it all depends on like you said if the artist is good bad. But I think it requires both.

Because again to use the Sentry example when he stopped Thor's hammer.

Rick Remender must have wrote something in the scripts saying "As the hammer is thrown at Sentry he will proceed to stop it in his place with his telekinesis/molecular manipulation"wink.

I think it requires the 2 to work together because the artist can't work without direction (unless he is given it).

I mean obviously it changes if the Author and Artist are the same guy but I think it requires too.

Sorry if I answered this badly.

Sin I AM
Meh things get lost in translation due to ill defined powersets

Mindset
Originally posted by The Nuul
If this thread sucks, please close it. laughing out loud

The Nuul
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Are you saying like. Say for example Sentry.

He has the power to manipulate molecules. Should that be the writers decision or the authors because to decide whether to actually implement that.

I guess it all depends on like you said if the artist is good bad. But I think it requires both.

Because again to use the Sentry example when he stopped Thor's hammer.

Rick Remender must have wrote something in the scripts saying "As the hammer is thrown at Sentry he will proceed to stop it in his place with his telekinesis/molecular manipulation"wink.

I think it requires the 2 to work together because the artist can't work without direction (unless he is given it).

I mean obviously it changes if the Author and Artist are the same guy but I think it requires too.

Sorry if I answered this badly.

I agree that it takes both of them, one for creation then one for applying the powerset via art work, they must work together. Then there's the publisher like Marvel or DC that puts pressure on them because of the fans. So this is kinda a three way orgy, maybe rapeage from the publisher > writer/artist.

DarkSaint85
Grant Morrison, with his acid tripping powers. Fantomex, for example.Prometheus, Warmaker One, Zauriel, Xorn....

Stan Lee, who couldn't really draw but gave briefs on what he wanted.

On the other hand, Image comics.

So I reckon, writers.

Scoobless
A lot of the time it seems like neither the writers nor artists actually know the "powers" they are supposed to be working with

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.