The Martian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dynamix
Sir Ridley Scott dishes another sci-fi flick. Looks like a prequel to interstellar, ha! What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI

Robtard
Looks like Castaway meets SciFi meets overwhelming odds/rescue/survival

DL'd the book, thinking about reading it before watching as the trailer looks good.

Patient_Leech
The book is great. Looking forward to this. Only watched the first 3rd of the trailer. With Ridley Scott's flawless direction this should be solid, hopefully basically the best reviewed Mars film ever.

I figured a trailer should be arriving soon cause they finished filming a long time ago. Didn't realize Jeff Daniels was in it. Needs some good potty humor.. lol

quanchi112
I will need to see a trailer before I can decide.

KingD19
Originally posted by quanchi112
I will need to see a trailer before I can decide.

Did you...did you post before you realized a trailer is in the op?

Oh Quan.

quanchi112
Originally posted by KingD19
Did you...did you post before you realized a trailer is in the op?

Oh Quan. I have not a clicked on it yet. Obviously. You are a dummy.

BruceSkywalker
will pass unless the second trailer when eventually shown just blows me away

Time Immemorial
Looks good, not going to be as good as interstellar, that was the best movie ever made.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Looks good, not going to be as good as interstellar, that was the best movie ever made. Your fave of all time ?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by quanchi112
Your fave of all time ?

Yes, nothing comes close.

Time Immemorial
Wasn't RDJR supposed to play the main role?

Patient_Leech
Looks good, not going to be as good as interstellar, that was the best movie ever made.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1596470229/facepalm1.jpg

BruceSkywalker

What, you actually understood something big grin stick out tongue laughing out loud laughing laughing

Patient_Leech
They should have marketed this as Elysium 2: Mars Vacation. And then, hell... get Chevy Chase on board, too.

jaden101
Doesn't look great.

Lestov16
Seems like Gravity meets Moon. And 2001: A Space Odyessy makes Interstellar look like Asylum movie. Interstellar was good but not great, and it was my most anticipated film of 2014 . TDK and Inception were better.

dynamix
Originally posted by Lestov16
And 2001: A Space Odyessy makes Interstellar look like Asylum movie.

truth. Interstellar was an experience and i enjoyed it alot but 2001 was THE experience!

watching this trailer again, it sort of remind of Mission to Mars. Another film about a search and rescue and a guy forced to sustain himself on Mars lol!

Esau Cairn

Didn't anyone learn from Interstellar?

Damon's a crazy mother...leave him stranded!!!

Time Immemorial
Exactly.

Esau Cairn
Between this trailer & watching Gravity, I get the feeling that being stranded in space or on a planet isn't really all that dangerous or difficult to survive at all.

marwash22
This looks interesting. I like stories about people having to survive and overcome odds.

Golgo13
Looks good.

Patient_Leech
Downlplaying the Mars aspect in this poster, I see. Probably a good idea...

JoBlo

marwash22
The movie is called "The Martian". How are the downplaying it?

Pretty sure you're trying to connect this to the failure of 'John Carter'... you're reaching.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by marwash22

Yeah, no shit, smartass. My point is that they don't show a big Mars landscape as if it's going to just be another cheesy Mars movie. The poster looks more like The Social Network poster or something...

http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/socialnetwork.jpg

The Nuul
This film is made up of leftover parts from Interstellar, and they both have Matt in it.

Meh, pass.

Robtard

Pretty sure you're trying to connect this to the failure of 'John Carter'... you're reaching. Maybe they should retitle it as: The Martian: The Man Marooned On The Planet Mars, That Little Red Planet Fourth From The Sun

A Ridley Scott film about a man stranded on Mars.

Disclaimer: This film is not connected to John Carter.

marwash22
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, no shit, smartass. My point is that they don't show a big Mars landscape as if it's going to just be another cheesy Mars movie. The poster looks more like The Social Network poster or something... the lines in your statement and the point you were trying to make are not on the same plane.

They aren't downplaying the Mars aspect; again, the movie is called 'The Martian'. They didn't make the poster look like it was all about action, and based on the trailer, what they're doing is just appropriate marketing.

Patient_Leech
the lines in your statement and the point you were trying to make are not on the same plane.

Wtf does that even mean? lol

They aren't downplaying the Mars aspect; again, the movie is called 'The Martian'.

In the poster, yes they are.

marwash22
you're looking at it from the wrong angle. wink

...and nope, they're not downplaying anything. You can't possibly downplay that Mars is an integral part of a story called 'The Martian'. With that poster, all they're doing is appropriately marketing their movie. If the poster was just a sweeping shot of the planet, that would be false advertising because the movie clearly isn't about the planet, it's about Matt Damon's character.

stop disagreeing with me, son.

Patient_Leech
If the poster was just a sweeping shot of the planet, that would be false advertising because the movie clearly isn't about the planet, it's about Matt Damon's character.

That's exactly my point. But it's also about a man stranded on the planet. In my opinion they are likely avoiding the 'man stranded on vast planet' shot because it is cliched.

I didn't watch the whole trailer, but I have read the book, so I know what it's about.

Patient_Leech
This is apparently getting great reviews.

Time-Immemorial
The book is great. Looking forward to this. Only watched the first 3rd of the trailer. With Ridley Scott's flawless direction this should be solid, hopefully basically the best reviewed Mars film ever.

I figured a trailer should be arriving soon cause they finished filming a long time ago. Didn't realize Jeff Daniels was in it. Needs some good potty humor.. lol

Damen/Scott?

I am in.

Patient_Leech
gnPWJOJYVKc

Yeah, I actually liked him in Elysium. That was a badass movie. And yeah, this is at like 97% on RT (with about 30+ reviews so far). I mean, I think it's really good material, it's a great book, so a competent director like Ridley really couldn't screw it up. I mean, some really great things are being said at RT, like this movie could help inspire a new interest in and revitalize the NASA program.

Ascendancy
I just wish they hadn't shown so much in the previews. Clearly there's a lot more to see, but I feel like trailers get too heavy in what they reveal. Entice me, don't slap me across the face with the plot and premise.

Patient_Leech
^ That's why I haven't watched the trailers.

jaden101
gnPWJOJYVKc

Yeah, I actually liked him in Elysium. That was a badass movie. And yeah, this is at like 97% on RT (with about 30+ reviews so far). I mean, I think it's really good material, it's a great book, so a competent director like Ridley really couldn't screw it up. I mean, some really great things are being said at RT, like this movie could help inspire a new interest in and revitalize the NASA program.

Pretty sure he could screw it up given that he screwed up Hannibal.

Patient_Leech
Hannibal was mediocre, but I don't see how you could asert that it was Ridley Scott's fault. There was nothing wrong with the direction. It just wasn't great subject matter, just not extremely compelling. The Martian is. It's a great book. But hey, I'm just going by reviews so far, I haven't seen it. Hell, I haven't even seen a full trailer.

jaden101
Hannibal was mediocre, but I don't see how you could asert that it was Ridley Scott's fault. There was nothing wrong with the direction. It just wasn't great subject matter, just not extremely compelling. The Martian is. It's a great book. But hey, I'm just going by reviews so far, I haven't seen it. Hell, I haven't even seen a full trailer.

The film was considerably worse than the book. The ending change was completely unnecessary for a start.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101
The film was considerably worse than the book.
Most movies are not as good as the book.

BruceSkywalker
Since the trailer gives everything away I will not be seeing this

Patient_Leech
I'm looking forward to this coming out this weekend.

It's still got lots of reviews rolling in, but is sitting at 94% on RT with 72 reviews so far.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53323bb4e4b0cebc6a28ffa2/t/558195e9e4b072a99164a00b/1434555887017/

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect it to be good.

I know the book, so I already know all the plot details, but I haven't seen a trailer, so at least the visuals will be fresh to me.

Hell, I even like the bad-to-mediocre Mars movies like Red Planet and Mission to Mars. So I'm sure this will be excellent.

Patient_Leech
It was very cool seeing this story play out on the big screen. Movie is very well done. Superb direction and cinematography because Ridley Scott is a true master professional. The Mars landscapes are breathtaking and the shots of the spaceships are also incredible. The film follows the book almost exactly (only minor changes and subtractions for time better dramatic effect because it is a film and not a book). I mean, there are so many lines taken pretty much verbatim from the book. I honestly found it pretty perfect. My only complaint is with Matt Damon's...

...apparent unwillingness to lose 40 or so lbs for the third act. It was blatantly obvious that they used a stand in for the severe emaciated look, and tried to hide it through editing. And they still used Damon's full-bodied face for close ups. I like Matt Damon and he's obviously about the right age for the character, but they should have cast Tom Hanks or Christian Bale, because to them gettin' thin ain't no thang! erm

So for that rather obvious distraction it loses a half a star, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very funny and engaging (like the book). Definitely does the book justice. There were actually many other jokes that they didn't include. This seriously could have been a legit comedy. I look forward to a potential extened cut, I think I read that Ridley could add about 15 minutes or so...

My recommendation: go support a great film if you like sci-fi.

4 & 1/2 stars out of 5.

Tzeentch
I wasn't impressed with the trailer at all, but the reviews for this have been excellent so I think I'll try to cop it at the theater a couple days after I see Sicario.

Nibedicus
Watched it. Great movie.

thumb up

marwash22
how much of the movie focuses on Matt's character surviving on the planet?

Esau Cairn
Saving Private Ryan, Interstellar & now The Martian.

Funny on how much Hollywood has spent saving Damon's butt all the time.

Firefly218
For real the Martian has surpassed mad max as the best movie I've seen this year. It might even be better than Apollo 13, idk yet.

Firefly218
It's really ****ing good. Ridley Scott is back

zeel
very powerful movie.

Loved it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Firefly218
For real the Martian has surpassed mad max as the best movie I've seen this year. It might even be better than Apollo 13, idk yet.
I actually re-watched Apollo 13 in preparation and I like The Martian a hell of a lot more, but it's not really fair to compare them because technology has come so far since Apollo 13 was made and, more importantly, Apollo 13 was based on real events and is still extremely good in its own right. Ron Howard still being an all-time great director as well.

S_W_LeGenD
This movie is fantastic! Easily among the best movies in Sci-Fi genre and arguably the best Sci-Fi movie that is focused on Mars-based setting.

dynamix
what i love about this movie was the lack of cliches. disaster flicks are notorious for cliches. this movie was practically void of it and proved that you can still tell an effective story without cliches. and cliches was the biggest problem i had with gravity, cliches and deus ex machina laced narrative. this movie was seamless and didn't depend on cheap, escapes. awesome flick

quanchi112
Watched it. Wasn't extraordinary in any way to me but worth a watch.

playa1258
What a surprise.

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
What a surprise. Make up your mind on what you think I'm going to say. You guys are all over the place.

Robtard
how much of the movie focuses on Matt's character surviving on the planet?

That's the main focus of the film. It's not like Castaway where all we see is Hanks for a good 110mins, but the focus is Damon trying to survive.

It's a good film, definitely something you want to see on the big-screen.

dadudemon
Saw this movie. Decent.

I liked that the Captain/Commander was a woman instead of a man. And she didn't cry her eyes out when things got tough. It is nice to see a normal portrayal of a female in a powerful position.

The movie is a 7 out of 10.

It is horrendously unscientific at times. You really have to shut your mind down to try and enjoy the "character conflict."

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Since the trailer gives everything away I will not be seeing this

You are correct. Pretty much every single major plot point is given away by the trailer. It's odd...they literally spoiled the shit out of the film with the trailer.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by dadudemon
You are correct. Pretty much every single major plot point is given away by the trailer. It's odd...they literally spoiled the shit out of the film with the trailer.
You know it was a best selling book before it was a movie, right? And the movie follows the book pretty much spot on. I knew every major plot point, but still enjoyed it. Most trailers give everything away. It's not specific to The Martian. That's why I typically avoid them if I already know I want to see something.

Time-Immemorial
One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Impediment

Patient_Leech
thumb up

Does he have a speech... impediment?

Kazenji
Ba dum tish!!

Esau Cairn
thumb up

Does he have a speech... impediment?

Maybe on a mod-erate level only.

Patient_Leech
Saw a yahoo article about all the pop culture and Alien/2001 references/nods. Pretty interesting.

Ascendancy
You know it was a best selling book before it was a movie, right? And the movie follows the book pretty much spot on. I knew every major plot point, but still enjoyed it. Most trailers give everything away. It's not specific to The Martian. That's why I typically avoid them if I already know I want to see something.

Indeed. I specifically avoided seeing anything on Sicario after the first trailer, though from what I've seen since the TV spots, etc, don't give away the plot at all. I like that even the ones that hint at Blunt's character being unsure of what she's gotten into give no clue as to her background, who she is, or why she's where she is, and the same for Del Toro's character as well.

I didn't see Oblivion in theaters because I thought the trailers gave everything away. They didn't fully, but they gave away far more than they should have. I really don't understand who does the cuts for these previews that tell everything that you need to know before you ever arrive and thinks that it's a good idea.

carthage
excellent film. Beautiful effects, great acting, great plot

Patient_Leech
Saw a yahoo article about all the pop culture and Alien/2001 references/nods. Pretty interesting.

Here it is:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/every-pop-culture-reference-in-the-martian-183355328.html

Tzeentch
I enjoyed the hell out of this movie- in Ridley's top 3.

I've seen a lot of complaints about how much of a straight-shooter the film was in regards to Damon's problem solving and the general "safe" tone of the film. But both of those tones are something I actually appreciated. I liked that when shit hit the fan Damon's character just fell back on protocol/scientific knowledge and figured out a way to make the best of the situation. I liked that NASA was portrayed as being fallible yet highly competent and scientific in everything they did.

Not everything needs to be a thriller and/or bloodbath.

Q99
Just saw it, an excellent film and a top notch portrayal of science in movies.

NASA people must be ecstatic- they never get portrayals of space this good outside Apollo historical films ^^

Originally posted by Tzeentch

I've seen a lot of complaints about how much of a straight-shooter the film was in regards to Damon's problem solving and the general "safe" tone of the film. But both of those tones are something I actually appreciated. I liked that when shit hit the fan Damon's character just fell back on protocol/scientific knowledge and figured out a way to make the best of the situation. I liked that NASA was portrayed as being fallible yet highly competent and scientific in everything they did.

Right, agreed. I'm in it for the *problem solving*. That's unusual in a movie, despair isn't.

Q99

It is horrendously unscientific at times. You really have to shut your mind down to try and enjoy the "character conflict."

What are you thinking of?

There's two bits I know of that don't work like in the film, but general buzz is it gets most of the stuff quite right.

The two bits are, storms on mars don't have enough airpressure to be that strong, and when blowing the air on the ship, the opening's too big so the thrust would be too low for that level of effect.

Stuff like potatoes, fuel, ship courses, etc., I gather are all possible.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Q99
There's two bits I know of that don't work like in the film, but general buzz is it gets most of the stuff quite right.

The two bits are, storms on mars don't have enough airpressure to be that strong, and when blowing the air on the ship, the opening's too big so the thrust would be too low for that level of effect.

Yeah, I remember reading that wind speeds on Mars don't ever get that high. But you know, it's fiction, you have to bend the rules a little bit.

Q99
Yeah, I remember reading that wind speeds on Mars don't ever get that high. But you know, it's fiction, you have to bend the rules a little bit.

It's not so much wind *speed*-it gets very, very fast there,- it's wind *pressure*- It's less dense so it hits you a lot less hard than the same airspeed on Earth.(And the author knew this, but fudged it)

But pretty much all the on-Mars survival stuff is real things.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but actually I think I heard it on NPR, they specifically mentioned that wind speeds in the storms on Mars don't get that strong. I don't remember the numbers, though.

Quincy
Originally posted by Tzeentch

I'm in agreement with you on the tone. Most movies with a theme like this are more along the lines of "This will be bleak and hopeless for 2 hours." But the tone and the jokes made it infinitely more enjoyable.

Firefly218
Saw this movie. Decent.

I liked that the Captain/Commander was a woman instead of a man. And she didn't cry her eyes out when things got tough. It is nice to see a normal portrayal of a female in a powerful position.

The movie is a 7 out of 10.

That's bullshit. Do you even have a basic comprehension of science to be questioning its use in the movie? With the exception of the Mars storm, everything in the movie is backed by science. The author of the book spent years researching how a man could survive on Mars within the laws of science. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson confirms the basic scientific validity of the movie. There are plenty of fiction elements in the movie because it's fiction, but that doesn't besmirch the scientific roots.

I'd go as far to say The Martian is one of the most scientifically idealistic films I've ever seen.

jaden101
Originally posted by Firefly218
That's bullshit. Do you even have a basic comprehension of science to be questioning its use in the movie?

😂 😂 😂

Can of worms officially opened

Robtard
More like Pandora's box and that can-o-worms.

Anyhow, the consensus seems to be that more elements of the film are based on reality than fiction:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/how-accurate-martian-9-things-movie-got-right-and-wrong

Firefly218
I dislike misinformation

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
More like Pandora's box and that can-o-worms.

Anyhow, the consensus seems to be that more elements of the film are based on reality than fiction:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/how-accurate-martian-9-things-movie-got-right-and-wrong

How can it be based on reality when Mars doesn't exist and was made up by global warming conspiracy Nazis?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101
How can it be based on reality when Mars doesn't exist and was made up by global warming conspiracy Nazis?
^ it's true, I saw it on Faux News.

jaden101
TOTES, MAN...TOTES.

Q99
Originally posted by Quincy
I'm in agreement with you on the tone. Most movies with a theme like this are more along the lines of "This will be bleak and hopeless for 2 hours." But the tone and the jokes made it infinitely more enjoyable.

And it's definitely the case that someone in these circumstances would get really low, and he'd go through some definite bad spots and he'll be in need of recovery for some time, but at the same time, no-one spends all their time depressed! Especially once he makes contact and has something more clear to work for.

Time-Immemorial
Best space movie since interstellar.

Patient_Leech
^ That's not saying much. It's a far better piece of entertainment than Interstellar.

Time-Immemorial
I happened to like interstellar there pig.

Patient_Leech
Pigs would probably drool over the corn fields depicted in Interstellar.

Time-Immemorial
That'ill do, pig.

Patient_Leech
I'll take that as a compliment.

icl85fQq8uU

Inhuman
The Martian > Interstellar

I didn't hate interstellar , was pretty good up until the dumb ending.

Time-Immemorial
I feel like you tards missed the point.

I said its the best space movie since interstellar.

Inhuman
Interstellar would have been a shit-ton better if they got rid of the dumb ending and the main focus of the movie was exploring strange planets to see if they were habitable for humans.
Would have been better as a space exploration/adventure movie than a retarded "twist" love transcends space and time nonsense theme.

Also Interstellar spend too much time in the beginning on barren dead planet earth farm town. Pretty boring tbh. Space science, water planet and ice planet exploration was good though.

Time-Immemorial
I happen to like shitty movies, you apparently don't.

Inhuman
i enjoyed Interstellar for the most part till the end

Protip:MURPH!!!

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Inhuman
i enjoyed Interstellar for the most part till the end

I guess, he was going to find her, it was romantic.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Inhuman
Interstellar would have been a shit-ton better if they got rid of the dumb ending and the main focus of the movie was exploring strange planets to see if they were habitable for humans.
Would have been better as a space exploration/adventure movie than a retarded "twist" love transcends space and time nonsense theme.

Also Interstellar spend too much time in the beginning on barren dead planet earth farm town. Pretty boring tbh. Space science, water planet and ice planet exploration was good though.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, Nolan seems a bit too much up his own ass now and doesn't really know how to make an entertaining movie anymore. "Oh, derp, that's a big 'ol wave coming at us! Too bad we couldn't see that from space before we landed." And that robot was one of the goofiest things I've ever seen in a science fiction film.

Time-Immemorial
You took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, Nolan seems a bit too much up his own ass now and doesn't really know how to make an entertaining movie anymore. "Oh, derp, that's a big 'ol wave coming at us! Too bad we couldn't see that from space before we landed." And that robot was one of the goofiest things I've ever seen in a science fiction film.

TARS was hilarious and it was comic relief. How could you miss that connect?

Patient_Leech
Please. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Time-Immemorial
Please. roll eyes (sarcastic)

You clearly don't have any sense of humor, literally everyone was laughing in the theater to the stuff he said. Like seriously?! He was better then C3PO and his jokes actually made sense.

Time-Immemorial
v7OVqXm7_Pk

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
You clearly don't have any sense of humor, literally everyone was laughing in the theater to the stuff he said. Like seriously?! He was better then C3PO and his jokes actually made sense.

Don't forget what thread you're in. The Martian (book and movie) could practically be a comedy.

Time-Immemorial
Don't forget what thread you're in. The Martian (book and movie) could practically be a comedy.

Did you seen humor in this movie but not in Interstellar?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Did you seen humor in this movie but not in Interstellar?

I'm sure I laughed or chuckled at the appropriate times, or at least realized that something was an attempt at humor. I'm not Kaz, afterall. But I didn't like the movie at all. Not my kind of space exploration sci-fi. I'll grant that it had some original ideas, because that is what Nolan does, but to me it wasn't packaged in an entertaining or appealing way. It felt way too focused on the conceptual and not enough on the fact that it is supposed to be engaging and entertaining.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.