Ares vs Namor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Who wins.

Mike82
Ares is a joke. Namor stomps. I just have a hard time taking Ares seriously.

StiltmanFTW
Already happened. Rookie Namor from the Invaders times had no respect for Ares, took away his weapon...

Mike82
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Already happened. Rookie Namor from the Invaders times had no respect for Ares, took away his weapon...

That's like saying Namor took his manhood away from him. You might as well just say Namor raped him.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Mike82
Ares is so sad. I remember the first issue of Mighty Avengers where the team faced off against a female Ultron. All that postering from Ares left her totally unimpressed. She just kind of went "Meh, I like Thor better."

He's a pretty sad god if you think about it. I do think his crush on Black Widow was pretty funny though.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111137054/3734078-the+mighty+avengers+02+-+page+20.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/nmarchan/page20.jpg

zopzop
They've fought like 2 or 3 times before in comics. Each time they fought, Namor absolutely humiliated him.

carver9
Forgot about that showing. Amazing strength ft for Ares. He tossed Sentry, Wonderman, and Ms. Marvel off of him like they were nothing.

zopzop
Originally posted by carver9
Forgot about that showing. Amazing strength ft for Ares. He tossed Sentry, Wonderman, and Ms. Marvel off of him like they were nothing.
Jeezus........

StiltmanFTW

Steve did the same to Pym, Thor and Stark...

http://media.comicbook.com/files/2011/06/51-300x268.jpg

carver9
Steve did the same to Pym, Thor and Stark...

http://media.comicbook.com/files/2011/06/51-300x268.jpg

Now that's just terrible.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Mike82
Ares is so sad. I remember the first issue of Mighty Avengers where the team faced off against a female Ultron. All that postering from Ares left her totally unimpressed. She just kind of went "Meh, I like Thor better."

He's a pretty sad god if you think about it. I do think his crush on Black Widow was pretty funny though.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111137054/3734078-the+mighty+avengers+02+-+page+20.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/nmarchan/page20.jpg

It depends on how he's written. I don't think writers in new and dark avengers knew how to portray him. His own mini had him being top dog

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Sin I AM
It depends on how he's written. I don't think writers in new and dark avengers knew how to portray him. His own mini had him being top dog

Not "writers". Writer. And you're confusing the New Avengers with the Mighty Avengers stick out tongue

Bendiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. It's always Bendis.

I liked Bendis' Ares, though. Feat-wise he was nothing spectacular, but there were plenty of funny moments with him.

One_Angry_Scot

Not much to look into to be honest.

Did you see what happened in that same comic series? Sentry basically done another Terrax and stopped his axe straight. Obviously didn't attack him but you get what I mean.

I don't mean this message to sound rude by the way if it does. Sometimes I think I do it by accident.

Sin I AM
Not "writers". Writer. And you're confusing the New Avengers with the Mighty Avengers stick out tongue

I liked Bendis' Ares, though. Feat-wise he was nothing spectacular, but there were plenty of funny moments with him.

Whoever it was is a hack

Mike82

Bendis along with Reed made Carol popular again. A powered up Ms Marvel KO Sentry. Bendis gets cool points from me. I heard he's done terrible things to the Guardians. I can't say I've read too much Guardians material though.

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by Mike82
Bendis along with Reed made Carol popular again. A powered up Ms Marvel KO Sentry. Bendis gets cool points from me. I heard he's done terrible things to the Guardians. I can't say I've read too much Guardians material though.

One reason I like Bendis is for bringing the Sentry back. No matter what you may think of his writing good or bad the fact he brought him back gives him some points with me.

DarkSaint85
Namor.

Ares...such wasted potential....

zopzop
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Namor.

Ares has always been a failure. Even as far back as the late 70s, early 80s. He never had potential to waste.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by zopzop
Ares has always been a failure. Even as far back as the late 70s, early 80s. He never had potential to waste.

Read his mini

StiltmanFTW
Read his mini

The one in which he goes down to bullets? stick out tongue

tkitna
How does a character that gives Hercules fits, get humiliated by Namor?

carver9
He also gave Skaar a good fight and beat Xman.

zopzop
Originally posted by tkitna
How does a character that gives Hercules fits, get humiliated by Namor?
Because Namor already beat the sh|t out of him on at least two different occasions on panel.
Read his mini
4 issues of looking good vs 30 years of failure?

StiltmanFTW
@carvster

Skaar who wasn't using Oldpower.

Namor has given The Hulk a run for his money many times.

Sin I AM
Because Namor already beat the sh|t out of him on at least two different occasions on panel.

4 issues of looking good vs 30 years of failure?

Imo its just marvel lacks the ability to deal with the Olympians

carver9
@carvster

Skaar who wasn't using Oldpower.

Namor has given The Hulk a run for his money many times.

But was scared to fight WWH, something that Ares did.

One_Angry_Scot

Ares is a bloody brave person. I think that plays more into it. He goes into fights he has no chance in and fights and gives his best.

I mean you could say Namor had no chance vs Thanos but he attacked him, but Ares has some balls.

zopzop
Imo its just marvel lacks the ability to deal with the Olympians
You do realize that in regards to Ares, Marvel actually got it right. Look up the Greek traditions involving Ares, he's a failure.

Sin I AM
You do realize that in regards to Ares, Marvel actually got it right. Look up the Greek traditions involving Ares, he's a failure.

Nothing really, he's war personified. On every plane. It should fuel his abilities

zopzop
Nothing really, he's war personified. On every plane. It should fuel his abilities
He's not war personified, wouldn't that make him an abstract like Eternity (time personified) or Infinity (space personified)?

He's a minor war god and with the exception of his mini series, which isn't the norm for him at all seeing his history, he's always been portrayed as such.

Stoic
Probably Namor, but Ares did start to look pretty impressive before he was killed.

deathslash
I'll go with the underdog here. Anybody that gives Hercules fits, goes toe to toe with Skaar, and beats on X-man should win against Namor. In addition to that, Ares managed to trade blows with a serious sentry and has adamantium weapons. Ares should logically win this fight 6/10.

abhilegend
Namor has actually looked far better than Ares against Hercules, herc has beaten Ares in one page.

zopzop
Originally posted by deathslash
Anybody that gives Hercules fits
Namor has gone toe to toe with Hercules multiple times, on land and in the sea and either held his own (land) or outright overpowered him (sea).

Namor has gone toe to toe with Hulk and either stalemated or beat him (at least once that I can recall).

Nice showing for Ares.

Except, he's NEVER beaten Namor and they've fought multiple times. On one occasion Ares had Sentry and Wonderman backing him up.

So has Namor.

Namor took a direct hit to the face by Ares' axe and all it did was cut his cheek.

Not going by on panel history.

Kazenji
Namor.

abhilegend
That reminds me if the time Ares had his strength tripled.

Thor still beat his ass down in a couple hits. Herc overpowered him in one panel.

Give Namor threefold amp in strength and he would own any Herald.

krisblaze
"gives hercules fits"

Listen to this retardation.

Kazenji
Even Ikaris has knocked him on his arse.

Genii96
Namor has shat on ares when they fought,nothing changes here

tkitna

I understand that, but what drugs were those two writers on at the time?

tkitna

On one occasion Ares had Sentry and Wonderman backing him up.

Are we to believe that Ares, Sentry, and Wonderman cant take Namor? Ares would lose a majority but Namor would work for it. I'd give Simon a split. Namor was practically powerless against Sentry when Bob was the slightest bit pissed off. Combine all three and Namor dies in one panel.

DarkSaint85
This is like a Golgo spite thread, except if Golgo had made a thread with people who had actually already fought.

Worst thread ever.

StiltmanFTW

Namor wasn't scared.

Ares got one-shotted by WWH and two-shotted by Savage...

Genii96
Are we to believe that Ares, Sentry, and Wonderman cant take Namor? Ares would lose a majority but Namor would work for it. I'd give Simon a split. Namor was practically powerless against Sentry when Bob was the slightest bit pissed off. Combine all three and Namor dies in one panel.

That was sentry going void that namor faced,emma frost later contained void allowing bob to leave,and he did pretty well actually,no injuries whatsoever. Sentry has been oneshotted by herc before,so his power is here and there. Namor fought wonderman and ares together,he faced sentry before he faced those two,he beat the shit out of wondy and ares. Its not like wondy is in his league,the dude nearly broke his back balancing hydrobase even with help from sue

juggernaut74
Are we to believe that Ares, Sentry, and Wonderman cant take Namor? Ares would lose a majority but Namor would work for it. I'd give Simon a split. Namor was practically powerless against Sentry when Bob was the slightest bit pissed off. Combine all three and Namor dies in one panel. During the Utopia fight between Namor and Sentry Namor was clearly outgunned. In almost every panel he was getting his sh!t pushed in. Anyone who believes Namor can logically fight the likes of Ares, Wonderman, and Sentry at the same time should not be taken seriously.

The Nuul
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Namor.

This.

StiltmanFTW
Ares simply has no advantages over Namor.

zopzop
Except it happened and not only didn't Namor die, he held his own.

Stop acting like Sentry operates at 100% all the time. His power fluctuates with his emotional state. Hercules has tooled a non stable Sentry and Sentry had help from Venom and crew during that fight.

Hammond Torch caused him to have a meltdown.

Etc..

One_Angry_Scot
Except it happened and not only didn't Namor die, he held his own.

Stop acting like Sentry operates at 100% all the time. His power fluctuates with his emotional state. Hercules has tooled a non stable Sentry and Sentry had help from Venom and crew during that fight.

Hammond Torch caused him to have a meltdown.

Etc..

You say tooled as if it was a beatdown or something. Herc just grabbed his cape and flung Robert about the place. I mean it wasn't anything special or anything.

With you on Hammond though.

zopzop
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
You say tooled as if it was a beatdown or something. Herc just grabbed his cape and flung Robert about the place. I mean it wasn't anything special or anything.
No I mean tooled as in "made a fool of". Because that's what he did. Grabbing his cape and flinging him around, grabbing his punch, kicking him in the nuts all the while being harassed and attacked by Venom.

But I don't hold it against Sentry because when he's not mentally stable he tends to fail at life. I'm just responding to tkina because he acted like the Namor vs WM/Sentry/Ares incident was something PIS fueled to make Namor look good.

One_Angry_Scot
No I mean tooled as in "made a fool of". Because that's what he did. Grabbing his cape and flinging him around, grabbing his punch, kicking him in the nuts all the while being harassed and attacked by Venom.

But I don't hold it against Sentry because when he's not mentally stable he tends to fail at life. I'm just responding to tkina because he acted like the Namor vs WM/Sentry/Ares incident was something PIS fueled to make Namor look good.

Ah okay I get you then. Thanks for the clarification.

zopzop
Ah okay I get you then. Thanks for the clarification.
I fully understand that Namor, Hercules, Ares, etc.. are not in Sentry's class at all (even without the Void or Void influence) if Sentry is even half way in his right mind.

A stable Sentry is a legit High Herald (minimum) and at least three Tiers above the characters I mentioned in my first sentence.

StiltmanFTW

In Civil War, Herc and Hulkling one-shotted Sentry wink At least that's what it looked like.

--
Back on topic - Namor was always Marvel's top dog. The opposite of Ares, who was an underachiever.

Strength-wise, Namor dominates Ares. Both feat-wise and handbook-wise, since he's been wearing that suit that keeps him hydrated. Ares, on the other hand, dropped those str-boosting Gauntlets of his.

Durability - no contest. Namor is 100% bulletproof, Ares is not.

Healing - some would say Ares has the advantage here, but honestly, looking at the feats, it's too close to call.

Fighting skills - Ares wins only according to handbooks. In the books, nothing suggests Ares is Namor's superior in that department. Remember, Namor is the guy who considers judo primitive...

Mike82
I fully understand that Namor, Hercules, Ares, etc.. are not in Sentry's class at all (even without the Void or Void influence) if Sentry is even half way in his right mind.

A stable Sentry is a legit High Herald (minimum) and at least three Tiers above the characters I mentioned in my first sentence.

Yeah, Basket-case Sentry was afraid of fighting Black Bolt because of the possible repercussions and Iron Man took out Sentry by turning Cloc against him.

One_Angry_Scot

Galan007
In Civil War, Herc and Hulkling one-shotted Sentry wink At least that's what it looked like. It's pretty hard to discern exactly what happened to Sentry after they punched him:
http://i.imgur.com/Kd82J99.png
As ^^that was his only showing in the comic.

But I suppose you could argue that he may have been KO'd, based on the fact that he wasn't seen again for the rest of the issue... mmm

As for his fight with Hercules:
http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/23351930_Incredible_Hercules_128-003.jpg

Several pages later:
http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/23351986_Incredible_Hercules_128-009.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/23351933_Incredible_Hercules_128-015.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/23351935_Incredible_Hercules_128-016.jpg

It may have been cheap, but Hercules came away with the solid win, I'd say. /shrug

juggernaut74
Gargan Venom had a solid showing there also.

StiltmanFTW
Only in your eyes, juggs. Gargan was useless.

juggernaut74
Only in your eyes, juggs. Gargan was useless. His body was absorbing those smashes and Hercules still couldn't shake him.

StiltmanFTW
So, a comic relief punching bag, as usual.

Scorpion was doing better without the symbiote.

juggernaut74
Say what you want but Hercules was clearly having issues with Venom.

DarkSaint85
Lol. Venom was working Herc sooooo solidly. Had the fight gone on, Herc might've died from annoyance.

tkitna

Glad we're all clear on that.

krisblaze
Back on topic - Namor was always Marvel's top dog. The opposite of Ares, who was an underachiever.
Wut?

Ares has fought Thor and Mikaboshi and shit.

Namor gets pissed on by Cap.

I think Namor wins and all, but he's generally in much weaker company than Ares.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by krisblaze
Wut?

I think Namor wins and all, but he's generally in much weaker company than Ares.

Ares got humiliated by the Hulk. Twice. Namor has a very impressive track record against Banner.

Ares also got beaten by Ikaris in a single page... Namor fought him for a long time.

krisblaze
Ares got humiliated by the Hulk. Twice. Namor has a very impressive track record against Banner.

Ares also got beaten by Ikaris in a single page... Namor fought him for a long time.
Namor's gotten beat the Hulk as well.

And that was in a shit book where Zeus couldn't take spears.

They also fought very different Hulks in different circumstances.

Namor has gotten WRECKED by Cap several times.

StiltmanFTW
Namor's gotten beat the Hulk as well.

And that was in a shit book where Zeus couldn't take spears.

They also fought very different Hulks in different circumstances.

Namor has gotten WRECKED by Cap several times.

Yeah, but it was never as bad as Ares' showings. Getting one- or two-shotted.

Piercing durability of the so-called "gods" tend to suck in general, to be honest...

Namor has also ignored Cap's blows or outright destroyed him, that's the rule of how their encounters go, actually...

Ares couldn't even beat Bucky Cap laughing out loud

ODG
I think this is closer than people think. Both characters don't get enough respect but I think Ares suffers from that more than Namor.

Genii96
Wut?

What? Lolz. Thor always beats the crap outta ares. Cap pisses on namor? Which comic r u reading?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.