Is Superman one of the top 10 smartest characters in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Whether it be yes or no in YO, where does he rank?

Super brains Vs other brains.

Henry_Pym
No?

Lol... Somewhere quite a ways down, what has he created on his own? (Not with Kryptonian tech)

StiltmanFTW
No.

He's among the top 10 dumbest characters in comics, though.

riv6672
Thanks, Pym and, ooookay, Stilt.
I recall pre Crisis Supes literally had a super brain. Computerfast, total recall/phot memory.
Didnt know if current Supes had any Kryptonian tech tivo something or other jacked into him...

Magnon
PC Superman had super-intelligence (not surprising, since he had super-everything).

The current iteration, however, does not. I guess Superman's super-intellect would've made Batman completely redundant so DC didn't pursue it.

riv6672
Yeah, PC Supes did have Super everything, didnt he? laughing out loud

-Pr-
You could make the argument that in DC, preboot Superman was definitely up there.

In all of comics though? No.

roughrider
No. He's way above average though.

He's not someone you turn to for a scientific answer to a crisis.

riv6672
I've never thought of him as stupid.
Like i said, the DCnu version, i didnt know for sure.

-Pr-
DCNU hasn't really played up his intelligence like preboot did, but it could always happen in future.

abhilegend
No.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
No.

He's among the top 10 dumbest characters in comics, though.

Correct.

Surtur
Superman is smart..ish. It's more about the speeds of his brain as opposed to just being naturally smart. If you could read every book in the world in a matter of a day or so and retain all that knowledge, would you not be insanely smart?

As for inventing, he has used kryptonian tech to create things. But it's not like he simply just pressed a "create this item" button. He built the stuff using tech, in the same way Reed Richards builds shit with the tech available to him. Of course Supes isn't on the same level, but he has created the Superman robots. He also created a machine that turned the entire Phantom Zone into a paradise dimension.

All that is for post crisis btw. Pre Crisis had time machines and time windows and all kinds of wacky stuff. Even Superboy had a time machine and basically showed a young Bruce Wayne an image of them in the future as Batman and Superman. Yes Superboy could of probably used this device to prevent the deaths of Bruces parents but..well..we do not speak of such negative thoughts.

Star428
He's quite smart. Just not "Batman smart". I don't think I'd rank him in the top 10 smartest but he did create that device in "For Tomorrow" that transformed the phantom zone into a beautiful place and transported all those people to it during "the vanishing". He's also very battle savvy when he has to be (which is rare, of course, since his raw power is usually more than enough to beat most opponents) and has used his powers numerous times in creative ways to accomplish things whether that is beating an opponent or saving people.

Now, if we're talking PC Supes then he'd definitely be in the top 10 smartest DC characters.

Star428
Also, if Superman really wanted to or needed to he could easily become one of smartest people on DC Earth in no time at all since he can learn things at phenomenal speeds with how fast his brain processes things.

Time-Immemorial
He's smarter then everyone's mom.

Astner
Depends on the writer. Sometimes he's portrayed as a human super-computer and other times he's denser than osmium.

But he's not up there with the omniscient cosmic beings.

RangerDX
If written correctly he is def up there, over guys like Batman, Terrific etc. But these 10 are def smarter from DC not including night/ or omniscient beings

Brainiac 5
Brainiac 1
Brainiac 2
Brainiac 3
TO Morrow
Metron
Luthor
Caulder
Magnus
Ultra-Humanite (honestly as the original Superman villain he has feats even better than Lex in science, and has outsmarted Supes multiple times)

Mindset
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
No.

He's among the top 10 dumbest characters in comics, though. Idk why this made me laugh.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Depends on. In FC he was like a Supercomputer and sometimes he isn't, also in DCnU he became like a professional doctor within some minutes. All in all he is or was supposed to be a genius on par with Lex Luthor, but imo he is a bit below this, more on the level of Batman.

Mindset
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Depends on. In FC he was like a Supercomputer and sometimes he isn't, also in DCnU he became like a professional doctor within some minutes. All in all he is or was supposed to be a genius on par with Lex Luthor, but imo he is a bit below this, more on the level of Batman. Seems like he's smart in the same way Bart Allen is.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Mindset
Seems like he's smart in the same way Barry Allen is.

FIFY

riv6672
Why Bart Allen?

SquallX
I hate the his not Batman smart answer. What has Bruce ever created that Kal couldn't?

I'll say Bruce is more cunning, not smarter.

riv6672
I was going to remark on that, but really, its something you either buy into or dont.

Mindset
Originally posted by riv6672
Why Bart Allen? He can read at super speed and remember everything he read.

riv6672
Ah, okay. I was wondering if it was something else entirely.

relentless1
he most certainly should be and there are some stories that indicate that he is rather smart but I've always felt that his smarts must take a backseat to his abilities simply because he'd be too perfect if he was smarter AND stronger than his enemies..and friends as well for that matter

Mindship
Superman never struck me as smart the way, say, Reed Richards is smart. Neither is he cunning, like Batman. However, he can absorb information very quickly (attention and memory), and, he is really good at using his powers in novel ways (creative application). These two propensities seem to have been the most consistent in his stories.

-Pr-
Originally posted by SquallX
I hate the his not Batman smart answer. What has Bruce ever created that Kal couldn't?

I'll say Bruce is more cunning, not smarter.

Damian.

He can read at super speed and remember everything he read.

That's true to an extent; Superman just has the intelligence to actually apply the information he learns too.

ODG
Whether it be yes or no in YO, where does he rank?

Super brains Vs other brains. wat

"Id"
No

Mindset
Originally posted by -Pr-
Damian.

That's true to an extent; Superman just has the intelligence to actually apply the information he learns too. What do you mean?

So can Bart.

riv6672
Maybe it depends on which version of Bart.

-Pr-
What do you mean?

So can Bart.

I mean in the sense that Superman is actually a scientist on top of everything else. He doesn't just recall everything he reads, he can apply it in ways most Humans (including Bart) couldn't.

He doesn't just have an eidetic memory. He's an actual genius too, even without the memory.

riv6672
Where are you getting this? Not a dig, honest question. Is he self taught?

-Pr-
Where are you getting this? Not a dig, honest question. Is he self taught?

He's self-taught too. But at a base level, Superman (preboot) has an IQ that is well above average. That's all I'm getting at.

Saying that it's just his memory being really good is missing out on quite a bit, imo.

riv6672
Cool, thanks.

Blue Area Vet
Why is is that you allow some off topic threads and nix others even when there are no problems in the threads? This is not battle thread, yet it remains active.

riv6672
You should PM these kinda questions.

beatboks
Originally posted by RangerDX
If written correctly he is def up there, over guys like Batman, Terrific etc. But these 10 are def smarter from DC not including night/ or omniscient beings

Brainiac 5
Brainiac 1
Brainiac 2
Brainiac 3
TO Morrow
Metron
Luthor
Caulder
Magnus
Ultra-Humanite (honestly as the original Superman villain he has feats even better than Lex in science, and has outsmarted Supes multiple times)
Metron should be higher (above Brainiac 1).

Brainiac 3 is also above 2
Lyrl is a 12 level genius like his grandfather, Vrill II is a 10th level. Yes Vrill II has beaten both more than once, but that isn't because he has a greater intellect overall, it's because he's a better psychologist and more manipulative bastard than both

Ultra doesn't have better science feats than Lex,.
In many areas of science Lex is well above him.
In medical science Ultra would be above and maybe in time travel technology.
That's only two areas of study to many more that Lex has excelled in to levels above Ultra (one of Ultra's first appearances he even states on panel he was crap at making robots as I recall).

Surtur
As others have said, I do think it is a combination of speed reading and just overall enhanced intelligence. You also have to take into account his super senses I think, because he can detect some wacky stuff with those, and I don't know..surely that would come in handy? He also is at times portrayed as stupid. It bugs me the same way some people think he has no fighting skills and is just a brawler, but that isn't necessarily true either.

The problem is he has so much power already that if he outright refines that power to its highest degree you are left with an even more unstoppable character. You also then begin making other members of the JLA obsolete.

But yeah DCnU version read every single medical book on Earth. You see because in the DC universe a single hospital somehow has a selection of every medical book ever.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Why is is that you allow some off topic threads and nix others even when there are no problems in the threads? This is not battle thread, yet it remains active.

Because every thread has a shelf life. This one, for example, is going to get moved very soon.

More troublesome threads get closed more quickly.

riv6672
So the two threads i had closed yesterday were troublesome? Okay.

There was no explanation given so i didnt know. Since i cant control what people say in any thread i'll just keep in truckin'.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by -Pr-
Because every thread has a shelf life. This one, for example, is going to get moved very soon.

More troublesome threads get closed more quickly.

That's what I thought, but you all closed a thread I started yesterday that had both good contribution and not a hint of a problem, unlike so many other threads. The one about which D.C./Marvel character would most change the landscape in the other's universe.

riv6672
That was a fun idea.

CatL18
He can be smartest being in DC universe in theory.
For example, In Redson, Even Bizzaro has defeated luthor in Chess game.
But He doesn't use his intelligence for plot.I think

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.