What is the Golden Age of the Republic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_W_LeGenD
Discuss.

Zenwolf
Whichever age it isn't at war.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Zenwolf

This.

If you're talking about when the peak of it's military strength was, then apparently it's the early KotOR era.

Nephthys
Swtore says that the early Kotor period was actually fairly weak militarily due to an overreliance on the Jedi. After Kotor they established a massive military that could stand on it's own. In fact, it states that before the Jedi Civil War, most of the Republics military was a loose collection of fleets from each individual member planet. And that they possessed very few infantry that had shitty equipment.

This was why the Mandalorian's and Revan's unified forces crushed the Republic so easily.

AncientPower
The Jedi Order was at it's combative peak, not the Republic itself. Though interestingly the Sith Empire was of the same magnitude as the Galactic Empire

Q99
Any time they can go a few millennia without Sith, really.

Militarily, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe TOR, where despite being cut in half it's had a whole lot of time to build up.

NTJack0

Revanchiste
Pre great sith war pre clone war....

The Merchant
The 1000 years after the seventh battle of Ruusan.

Emperordmb
what's so special about the second battle?

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Nephthys
Swtore says that the early Kotor period was actually fairly weak militarily due to an overreliance on the Jedi. After Kotor they established a massive military that could stand on it's own. In fact, it states that before the Jedi Civil War, most of the Republics military was a loose collection of fleets from each individual member planet. And that they possessed very few infantry that had shitty equipment.

This was why the Mandalorian's and Revan's unified forces crushed the Republic so easily.

That rings true with Exar Kun's speech, yeah.

Then I suppose either SWTOR era Republic or Clone Wars Republic.

Tzeentch
The "Golden Age of the Republic" is probably the golden age of the Republic, yes?

Not sure what there is to discuss really.

SunRazer
Militarily, it seems to be the KotOR era by virtue of KotORCG.

That being said, Lucas did make clear that the PT era was the golden age of the Jedi.

Nargaroth
Originally posted by SunRazer

That being said, Lucas did make clear that the PT era was the golden age of the Jedi.

The Kotor CG stated that Revan's era was even better that.

Zenwolf
?

Maybe I missed something, but what puts the OR military over other ones? Last I checked, the Republic military was pretty much in shambles...or well least up till TOR but even there I don't think it's that far and above greater than any other. Infact even still you have later eras having better tech, a wider variety of troops, vehicles and so on.

SunRazer
Originally posted by Nargaroth
The Kotor CG stated that Revan's era was even better that.

I know, but you can't exactly override the creator's intent. To be fair, they only referred to the KotOR Jedi's militaristic superiority, whereas Lucas seemed to refer to the Order just being in its overall prime (though he did reference swordfighting, so eh).

Q99
Originally posted by SunRazer

Which really doesn't make much sense to me.

The KotoR had like half the territory of the PT era and much smaller ships.

Though, I suppose it could be talking most proportionally powerful, i.e. the time it was most militarized, but that still seems kinda off.

Also notably, that campaign guide was written before TOR existed.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
Which really doesn't make much sense to me.

The KotoR had like half the territory of the PT era and much smaller ships.

Though, I suppose it could be talking most proportionally powerful, i.e. the time it was most militarized, but that still seems kinda off.

Also notably, that campaign guide was written before TOR existed.

It doesn't make much sense period, just by comparison you could tell there is a great difference between the OR military of Kotor to later ones.

Even TOR while they are a step up in a few areas, are still lacking.

Q99
Heck, the *new* Republic arguably had one of the stronger militaries. An indecisive government once the Empire was gone, but a pretty good-sized force that had experience against a peer foe, and had some sweet capital ships and fighters.

AncientPower
Golden Age of the Galactic Republic = Rise of the Empire
Golden Age of the Jedi Order's combative prowess = TOTJ/KOTOR
Golden Age of the Jedi Order over-all = Rise of the Empire

The Merchant
May someone post all the statements regarding the KOTOR era's military and Jedi strength?

Nephthys
Well here's the thing I was talking about:

http://i62.tinypic.com/qy705l.jpg

Zenwolf
Tbh that scan isn't anything special really, it's just standard fare of how the Republic worked up its military again after it being scattered and in shambles. It's good, but it's hardly the peak.

Nephthys
Didn't say it was. I was merely providing evidence that up to Kotor the Republic's military was shit and only afterwards did they get their acts together and git gud.

Zenwolf
Never said that you said it was Neph, was more or less just a general statement. :P

Selenial
Never said that you said it was Neph, was more or less just a general statement. :P

Yeh well he never said that you said that he said it was! So there!

No but seriously, yeh the Kotor Republic Military was pretty horrendous.

SunRazer
KotOR Republic was still recovering from the wounds inflicted by a series of wars, so obviously it wouldn't be in peak condition (militaristically).

Nephthys
My scan says that the Republic's military was purrty crap for the majority of it's history though. As in, everything before Kotor.

Zenwolf
Even in the Kotor CG it says as much, the Navy really being the only good thing and even then the Navy is kinda...meh compared to other eras. The Army is just a bunch of planetary militia's/merc groups and having no real unified commander until Revan, until he came it was mostly the Defense Ministry and the Navy commanding the ground troops...which is really terrible.

The pay and conditions are pretty terrible too.

FreshestSlice
The navy makes up most of the military, though. The navy is always the only thing that's good in pretty much any era, aside from military secret intelligence.

Zenwolf
True enough Fresh, but it's better to have both than one good.

FreshestSlice
Also true. And the lack of a really good intelligence agency leads to things like the Jedi Civil War becoming much more devastating conflicts than they need to be. I just don't think it's terrible when the navy leads ground troops, just as long as they're trained for it.

The Ellimist
In terms of prosperity, it's probably either the first three quarters or so of the post-Ruusan Republic, or some random time period of prolonged peace/no sith wars.

In martial strength, it's obviously the height of the Clone Wars.

In terms of the Jedi, it's explicitly the Prequel Trilogy/the height of the Clone Wars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.