What denomination is God/was Jesus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Because there are a LOT of denominations, be they Christian, Protestant, Baptist...

Bentley
He was jewish.

psmith81992
Originally posted by Bentley
He was jewish.

thumb up

riv6672
He was jewish.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/DucceoUPlxY/hqdefault.jpg
laughing

Regret
Given that religion is defined as a system of worship, "God" wouldn't be any of them. If Christ worshiped God, he would have been Jewish.

Mindship
The tateleh, Yahshua, vas a Yid.

riv6672
Thanks for going into a bit more detail. thumb up

Surtur
He's Agnostic don't you know?

riv6672
^^^No, i dont! Thats why i asked! stick out tongue

Stoic
Jesus was a Protestant, and he often defied Jewish tenets. He even taught a completely different gospel. Christianity is truly an extension of Judaism, but god in the NT (New Testament) deals with mankind differently than what is written in the OT (Old Testament). Judaism to many is a stunted condition, self imposed by a people that have refused to carry on but instead have decided to continue onward with outdated beliefs. That of course depends on if people believed that the New Testament is indeed the continuation of the Old Testament. We know that the same laws that Jewish people live under are the same ones that are written in the Old Testament to this very day.

So yes, Jesus was a Protestant Jew. You see, it says in the New Testament that man would sacrifice livestock (cattle) to appease god, but it also says that God used to wink at those types of things. God now required that we form a relationship with him/it/Jesus or whoever you believe God to be.

Acts 26:20
First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Acts 17:30
29"Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30"Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

Isaiah 1:11
10Hear the word of the LORD, You rulers of Sodom; Give ear to the instruction of our God, You people of Gomorrah. 11"What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle; And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats. 12"When you come to appear before Me, Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?

Proverbs 15:8
The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

It goes on, and on, and on.

Amos 5:22
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them.

Can this be the same personality, or desire that was inspiring men before the Christ was born? *Read below to see the similarities

Matthew 22:4
"Then he sent some more servants and said, 'Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.'

Hebrews 10
10 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

Bentley
Originally posted by Stoic
Jesus was a Protestant, and he often defied Jewish tenets.

Even current Jews would be considered as defiant towards the religion as it was back when Jesus lived. I mean, he did participated in jewish rites, respected their traditions and even declared he intended to teach jews in particular. Did he defied the authorities and refuted several of the traditional theology? Certainly, but that would make him a jewish heretic.

Protestant is a misnomer to it, if you're referring to the religious movement that didn't exist at all back when Jesus lived.

riv6672
This is pretty interesting!

Stoic
Even current Jews would be considered as defiant towards the religion as it was back when Jesus lived. I mean, he did participated in jewish rites, respected their traditions and even declared he intended to teach jews in particular. Did he defied the authorities and refuted several of the traditional theology? Certainly, but that would make him a jewish heretic.

Protestant is a misnomer to it, if you're referring to the religious movement that didn't exist at all back when Jesus lived.

You're doing it again. You're measuring the doctrine according to the people. This is an incorrect and irresponsible way of viewing things. Just because many Jews protest of the things that were practiced in the time of Jesus, does not mean that they can not or are not supposed to practice them in order to live a proper religious Jewish life. The NT writes all about the OT. It doesn't nullify everything written within the OT though, but it adjusts us to the fact that the Holy Spirit can now live within people as opposed to when it only inspired people. Factually speaking, the Children of God did not appear in the bible, or even exist until Jesus rose from the dead. He did after all say that "I will pray to the father, and he will send a comforter in my name".

Stoic

Can you explain this claim?

Shakyamunison
Can you explain this claim?

"The Protestant Reformation was a major 16th century European movement aimed initially at reforming the beliefs and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. "

http://www.theopedia.com/protestant-reformation

There is no way that Jesus could have been a Protestant.

Stoic
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
"The Protestant Reformation was a major 16th century European movement aimed initially at reforming the beliefs and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. "

http://www.theopedia.com/protestant-reformation

There is no way that Jesus could have been a Protestant.

You're opting to replace the word protest with it's legal termination. Jesus was indeed a Jewish rebel, or Protestant Jew. Should I define the word protest, or do you understand the nature of the term? Not trying to offend you here.

Shakyamunison

Stoic

Stoic

riv6672
You're opting to replace the word protest with it's legal termination. Jesus was indeed a Jewish rebel, or Protestant Jew. Should I define the word protest, or do you understand the nature of the term? Not trying to offend you here.
Speaking as someone who only now just realized the meaning of the term protestant (though i should have put 2 and 2 together), you didnt offend ME at all!

Shakyamunison
Or you aren't capable of understanding how it is being used here. Jesus was a rebel, and often protested the Jewish faith. Which is why I said that Jesus was a Protestant Jew. Christianity did not exist at that time so technically Jesus could not be a Protestant in that sense. I realize that you know exactly what I'm saying, and I would like you to know that it only serves in making you look like one of two things. A dimwit, or a troll.

I have never heard of "Protestant Jew", and I don't find anything when I Google it.

Shakyamunison
I'm sorry for calling you a dimwit. That was really uncalled for. I just didn't think that it would be very difficult to see the correlation between Catholicism vs Protestant Christian to Judaism vs What Christ taught. The Pharisees, and Sadducee did not agree with what he taught after all. They even attempted to ensnare him. Jesus was as much of a Protestant to Judaism, as Pentecostal is to Catholicism. Are you arguing that the use of legality in the form of name alone confirms one, while also serving to deny another of equal stature and purpose? Catholicism isn't the standard and never has been. The book from which every church is supposed to follow (the Bible), is the real and only true standard by which people should use as a point of reference.

The Protestant came from the Catholics.

Surtur
If Jesus is God that means he was worshipping himself. That is pretty messed up.

riv6672
Where do you get that from?

Stoic
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I have never heard of "Protestant Jew", and I don't find anything when I Google it.

You won't find anything. Jesus protested, and rebelled against Judaism. He even taught a different gospel, and his actions caused the holy men of the Jewish faith to seek to ensnare him, and ultimately put him to death.

The Catholics just put a title on something. that Jesus had done long before they even existed. Jesus in fact did separate himself from the Jewish faith, and many of its teachings, in the same way that Protestant Christians separate themselves from many Catholic teachings. Or what? Did you think that Catholicism was the first doctrine protested of throughout history? If Jesus was a Jew by faith, why is it that he sought to teach a new doctrine? If you can't accept the word for what it truly means, or from which it derives its meaning, there isn't much that I can say to you. Protestant comes from the word Protest. Jesus protested the Jewish faith because it was a faith that had become a stumbling block to its people. So, if I am in fact the first person to call Jesus a Protestant Jew, so be it. This was in fact what he was, and how he lived his life. Anyone needing any proof of this, would only need to read the bible to see it. I don't see why it is so difficult to realize that Jesus wasn't a Jew by faith since he didn't believe in many of its outdated practices. To really crack this mystery, one only needs to understand the reason/s behind having/serving a religion vs not having or serving another one entirely. Having a religion is not a birthright, it is a conscious choice. Something else that the Catholic faith got wrong because of blatant ignorance.

riv6672
thats asking a lot. Some people dont go beyond Google. Nit a dig, just an observation i've found to be fairly accurate.

Stoic
Originally posted by riv6672
thats asking a lot. Some people dont go beyond Google. Nit a dig, just an observation i've found to be fairly accurate.

I know, but that's why I said "Having a religion is not a birthright, it is a conscious choice". The bible says that in order to be baptized, a person must be of mature mind. There is a reason for this. I mean when was the last time that an infant was lawfully charged with murder? even if a baby shot you with a gun by mistake, it never knew the consequences of its actions, and therefore could not be tried as a criminal The same thing applies to a persons faith or personal/spiritual belief system.

Shakyamunison
You won't find anything. Jesus protested, and rebelled against Judaism. He even taught a different gospel, and his actions caused the holy men of the Jewish faith to seek to ensnare him, and ultimately put him to death.

The Catholics just put a title on something. that Jesus had done long before they even existed. Jesus in fact did separate himself from the Jewish faith, and many of its teachings, in the same way that Protestant Christians separate themselves from many Catholic teachings. Or what? Did you think that Catholicism was the first doctrine protested of throughout history? If Jesus was a Jew by faith, why is it that he sought to teach a new doctrine? If you can't accept the word for what it truly means, or from which it derives its meaning, there isn't much that I can say to you. Protestant comes from the word Protest. Jesus protested the Jewish faith because it was a faith that had become a stumbling block to its people. So, if I am in fact the first person to call Jesus a Protestant Jew, so be it. This was in fact what he was, and how he lived his life. Anyone needing any proof of this, would only need to read the bible to see it. I don't see why it is so difficult to realize that Jesus wasn't a Jew by faith since he didn't believe in many of its outdated practices. To really crack this mystery, one only needs to understand the reason/s behind having/serving a religion vs not having or serving another one entirely. Having a religion is not a birthright, it is a conscious choice. Something else that the Catholic faith got wrong because of blatant ignorance.

Just because Jesus protested the Jewish faith does not mean he was a Protestant. You are using the name Protestant incorrectly.

Jesus was not a Jew by faith; he was born a Jew.

riv6672
The latter doesnt rule out the former.

Surtur
Where do you get that from?

The idea that Jesus/God were the same thing? You've never heard that?

I know, but that's why I said "Having a religion is not a birthright, it is a conscious choice". The bible says that in order to be baptized, a person must be of mature mind. There is a reason for this. I mean when was the last time that an infant was lawfully charged with murder? even if a baby shot you with a gun by mistake, it never knew the consequences of its actions, and therefore could not be tried as a criminal The same thing applies to a persons faith or personal/spiritual belief system.

So was I being trolled by the Catholic church when I was baptized before I was even 1?

Religion wasn't a conscious choice for a lot of people. I never had a choice, nobody asked me what religion I wanted. It was forced upon me(and many other kids) and I guarantee you some of those grew up thinking they made a "choice" to be this, but I see that almost as if you are brainwashed. If you instill something into a child from birth chances are it might effect how they grow up. Eventually I began to question the religion, but not everyone does and then you wonder is it because they truly believe or because their parents were much more strict with religion then others?

I was forced into: baptism, communion, confession, and confirmation.

psmith81992
That's why God is Jewish and everything else is just pillow talksmile

Stoic

Stoic
I couldn't edit this, but this is what i meant by it

here's another example of how the bible teaches people that our choices are made due to our dispositions (or our emotional condition). It also directly shows us the negative, or positive effects that our choices impact our lives.

That was what i was trying to say.

psmith81992
I think your self proclaimed enlightened attitude makes you look incredibly ignorant, and your inability to understand sarcasm confirms this fact. But I forgive you.

I appreciate this paragraph equivalent to "duh". No really. Again, your self proclaimed enlightened attitude makes you look ignorant. God honestly can't be Jewish. But the Jewish people believe they are the chosen people. The only difference is we don't massacre everyone who disagrees. We don't believe Jesus was a prophet but we don't begrudge those that do.

Stoic

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by psmith81992
I think your self proclaimed enlightened attitude makes you look incredibly ignorant, and your inability to understand sarcasm confirms this fact. But I forgive you.

I appreciate this paragraph equivalent to "duh". No really. Again, your self proclaimed enlightened attitude makes you look ignorant. God honestly can't be Jewish. But the Jewish people believe they are the chosen people. The only difference is we don't massacre everyone who disagrees. We don't believe Jesus was a prophet but we don't begrudge those that do.

thumb up

Bentley

riv6672
Confusing doesnt mean wrong.

Originally posted by Surtur
Religion wasn't a conscious choice for a lot of people. I never had a choice, nobody asked me what religion I wanted. It was forced upon me(and many other kids) and I guarantee you some of those grew up thinking they made a "choice" to be this, but I see that almost as if you are brainwashed. If you instill something into a child from birth chances are it might effect how they grow up. Eventually I began to question the religion, but not everyone does and then you wonder is it because they truly believe or because their parents were much more strict with religion then others?

I was forced into: baptism, communion, confession, and confirmation.
You were not forced into religion. Maybe you were too comfortable to fight it, but once you were old enough to make up your own mind you were old enough to choose.
As an example, I was raised Catholic. Till i was 12. Then i said no.
I understand you might not have wanted to piss off your parents, but the choice WAS there.

Star428

You were not forced into religion. Maybe you were too comfortable to fight it, but once you were old enough to make up your own mind you were old enough to choose.
As an example, I was raised Catholic. Till i was 12. Then i said no.
I understand you might not have wanted to piss off your parents, but the choice WAS there.

thumb up

Riv is right. We ALWAYS have a choice. I've also always felt the exact same way Stoic does regarding infant baptisms too.

psmith81992
Actually your entire diatribe was meaningless because I wasn't serious. There's no such thing as a Jewish god. But please continue your "I'm enlightened" rambling.

What are you referring to when you say this? I'm well versed in the torah.

And this is the 3rd or 4th time you claim your words are being twisted. After the 2nd time, you should understand the problem is you, not everyone else. You're debating with a "holier than thou" attitude which would seem less douchey if it wasn't arguing ignorance. Nobody needs a lecture on indoctrination because we all know this already. It seems you are more interested in typing than typing with substance.

Bentley

It can be conventionally wrong and language is conventional. If the word you use keep you from communicating then confusing is "wrong enough" to be noted.

riv6672
IF.
I dont think that happened. What happened was a deliberate attempt to sidestep the bigger issue. And thats fine.

Bentley
IF.
I dont think that happened. What happened was a deliberate attempt to sidestep the bigger issue. And thats fine.

You're describing the situation from the point of view of the person stating the message, as a receiver I can ignore or choose to ignore how "deliberate" the message is.

riv6672
Well that goes without saying. thumb up

Bardock42
Jesus was Episcopalian.

Surtur
I see...

WWaLxFIVX1s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.