Terminator or T2?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

relentless1
which one is your favourite and why?

Mine is the first one, while the second one is great, the first one was truly creepy in that 80s wasteland kind of way, it truly was made in the vein of a horror movie and I think the series worked best in that vein instead of an action adventure series. Annie as the original terminator was awesome and Kyle was great as sarans protector, being a little machine like himself but who's to blame him seeing the future he comes from and finally Sarah really showed a glimpse of what she would become by the end of the film, great character arc for her.

Zenwolf
I gotta agree, T2 is good but I much better prefer the original. It had this mood that T2 didn't really have and Kyle made it moreso, the guy was only human and added a degree of human vs machine and suspense considering that it was human fighting pretty much an unstoppable killing machine from the future with no real way of bringing him down with the tech of the 80s.

Arnold brought this foreboding atmosphere around him, nothing could stop him and while he played a machine with no real character, he was a perfect antagonist. Kyle had literally the best dialogue within the movie and it was acted pretty much perfectly, so it's a shame Michael isn't more recognized for his role portrayal.

"LISTEN and understand, that Terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity, or remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop EVER! Until you are dead."

"You still don't get it do you? He'll find her! That's what he does! THAT'S ALL HE DOES! You can't stop him! He'll wade through you, reach down her throat and pull her ****ING heart out!"

Both have their own interesting stuff and I like em, but T1 is the best imo.

relentless1
yeah you totally nailed it. the mood was just..unsettling in the first one and it made it so much better a film for it, when the Terminator wiped out that precinct full of cops it was even scarier because usually in horror films the violence is very contained to a few people dealing with a threat they aren't capable of handling and once they figure out a way to kill the killer lo and behold here comes the cops, this time its explicitly shown that not even the cavalry could have done anything to stop this monster

Darth Thor
I prefer the second, simply because it's amongst my very favorite movies of all time (right next to the SW films tbh).

That being said I do feel T1 gets under appreciated a lot and agree with what you guys are saying. It was a classic 80's horror with the unstoppable killer targeting 1 particular person, but will kill everyone who gets in his way (much like Halloween). Except it had a great Sci-Fi aspect to it on top.

It is true a classic and amongst the best films ever made, and apart from T2 none of the sequels/spin off's since even come close.

Robtard
The first and by a considerable margin. Zenwolf pretty much nailed it. It was a straight forward SciFi with action and the added benefit of a thriller.

I'd rank it in the top 10 best SciFi flicks of all time and is a personal favorite of mine.

quanchi112
The second one out of these two anyway. I recently watched the first one on Netflix and was let down. The T-1000 was groundbreaking at the time and Arnold's heel to hero switch was executed perfectly.

Surtur
I also recently acquired both T2(directors cut) and the first film. I had never seen the first film before, so I gave it a shot. I just found it to be...boring. Not the entire thing, but it is like there would be stretches of boredom briefly interrupted by some parts with action.

For T2, I never felt that way. Even when the action wasn't going on..I never felt bored.

When it comes to pure action though I find T3 to be the best.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Surtur
I also recently acquired both T2(directors cut) and the first film. I had never seen the first film before, so I gave it a shot. I just found it to be...boring. Not the entire thing, but it is like there would be stretches of boredom briefly interrupted by some parts with action.

For T2, I never felt that way. Even when the action wasn't going on..I never felt bored.

When it comes to pure action though I find T3 to be the best. The first one is extremely overrated, boring at times, and Reese is poorly acted in that film as well.

playa1258
T1 for me. It is like T2 one of the best sci-fi films ever made. The original Reese is also better than Courtney Reese.

Darth Thor
Jai Courtney Reese was a joke.

Also it's not the same watching T1 after T2. Reese being John Connor's Dad was an amazing twist at the end if you saw it in the proper order.

Anyway if you're a fan of horror classics like Halloween and you're also a fan of Sci-Fi, then you can't not Love T1.

playa1258
I thought it was funny that Courtney Reese looked like he had been drinking protein shakes every three hours and consuming mass amounts of steroids. Biehn Reese was far more believable as a person who had survived his whole life in a nuclear devastated world.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor

Also it's not the same watching T1 after T2. Reese being John Connor's Dad was an amazing twist at the end if you saw it in the proper order.

Anyway if you're a fan of horror classics like Halloween and you're also a fan of Sci-Fi, then you can't not Love T1. Lemming talk.

Flyattractor
Gotta side on T1. Its a good Sci-Horror film like Alien.

marwash22
this whole thread is sacrilege and you're all heathens.

Flyattractor
...........I have no prob with the "heathens" comment.

Newjak
I don't know T1 is okay but T2 is far superior to me. I recently rewatched T1 before going and watching Genisys. There are problems with this movie. FIrst off some of the effects were bad. I'm not just talking bad because they are from the 80s I'm talking bad even for the 80s. At moments the acting is subpar, and it wasn't infrequent to me. Which is surprising considering they had a lot of talent and good actors. I wasn't really terrified during the movie. The second one just does everything the first one did but better and then added more.

jinXed by JaNx
I have to go with T2. Not only has it aged much better it's a lot easier for me to just sit down and watch. Also, considering that they're essentially the same story i usually don't find much need to revisit the first one. I usually have to reserve viewing the first terminator on rare occasions. I actively have to put myself in the mood to watch and fully appreciate the first one. I'm not saying this detracts from the films quality.

I can remember that both movies left a haunting and imaginative impression on me as a child. It really is kind of hard for me to single one out because they both used to compliment each other so well. Although, it doesn't matter much anymore because the high regard i once had for that franchise was tarnished and nearly destroyed by it's sequels much like Star Wars was with it's prequels and the Lord of The Rings was with the Hobbits.

-Pr-
I have no problem with people saying the second is a technically better movie, but I'll always prefer the first. Was more of a SCI-FI thriller, and there just isn't enough of those nowadays.

Newjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
I have no problem with people saying the second is a technically better movie, but I'll always prefer the first. Was more of a SCI-FI thriller, and there just isn't enough of those nowadays. That's fair.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Newjak
I don't know T1 is okay but T2 is far superior to me. I recently rewatched T1 before going and watching Genisys. There are problems with this movie. FIrst off some of the effects were bad. I'm not just talking bad because they are from the 80s I'm talking bad even for the 80s. At moments the acting is subpar, and it wasn't infrequent to me. Which is surprising considering they had a lot of talent and good actors. I wasn't really terrified during the movie. The second one just does everything the first one did but better and then added more.

That reminds of the joke Arnold made about how they spent more on the catering for T2 then the budget for T1.

Newjak
Originally posted by Flyattractor
That reminds of the joke Arnold made about how they spent more on the catering for T2 then the budget for T1. Yeah apparently the studio, Orion I think was the name, treated T1 as a quick B-movie action flick to try and create a quick buck. Cameron has stated he had to argue with the execs many times to get the finances to shoot the movie past the tanker explosion.

Flyattractor
Cameron even said that he filmed some scenes with his own money and with out the studio being informed about them.

Darth Thor
I have no problem with people saying the second is a technically better movie, but I'll always prefer the first. Was more of a SCI-FI thriller, and there just isn't enough of those nowadays.

T2 did carry on that tradition though, just with a lot more action. But the T-1000 was damn scary to me as a kid.

But that's something that's been completely lost since T2. Nowadays the films are more like superhero films.

jinXed by JaNx

Yeah. The first one definitely has a darker tone and is more gritty.

Why don't you think there aren't enough sci-fi thrillers these days? I think our standards and expectations have changed because of movies like, The Terminator. I mean, i'm sure we could sit here and fire off a hefty list.

Newjak
I have no problem with people saying the second is a technically better movie, but I'll always prefer the first. Was more of a SCI-FI thriller, and there just isn't enough of those nowadays. Fair enough

P-Geyser
T2 for me. I agree the first Terminator is overlooked and is great, but damn T2 was groundbreaking with the special effects and action. It was also awesome as other's have stated, to see Arnold as the T-800 as a good guy. Though for me Robert Patrick as The T-1000 was the icing on the cake. As the casting director Mali Finn stated " he has a different kind of power from Arnold's " I do love T1 for sure, but it's T2 for me.

Quincy
T2

Kotor3
T1 will always be an classic and the top, but T2 actually took the movie to another level when it really didn't seem possible.

Firefly218
What T1 did with a 6 million dollar budget was phenomenal. T1 managed to craft an epic, horror science fiction universe on a shoestring budget. A feat I don't think will ever be replicated to the same extent.

T2 is a classic in its own right because it expanded on the first one brilliantly. T2 also was very different and inventive.

Both are classics, but I'll go with T1.

CoolBlackKnight
Gotta go with T2 also.

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor

Anyway if you're a fan of horror classics like Halloween and you're also a fan of Sci-Fi, then you can't not Love T1.

But I do like sci-fi and horror classics. I wasn't even born when the first movie came out, but I'm sure if I was a young kid at the time I would of loved the movie. I think people have different standards depending on the era they grew up.

Just like a kid today who saw the Star Wars originals might think they are awful because he is used to films being a certain way, in specific, films looking a lot better(visually). So for some kids the OT is all "meh". If these same kids had grown up in the late 70's when the movies first came out I guarantee they wouldn't of been going "meh" because at the time..it was some ground breaking stuff.

Similar to how people used to be fascinated by CGI and even go see movies just to see the CGI when it first became big, but now it's something we just come to expect. I can't remember the last time I thought to myself "awesome special effects!" when watching a movie. Not because the effects aren't good, but just because I've come to expect those types of stuff as standard.

KuRuPT Thanosi

When it comes to pure action though I find T3 to be the best.

Just curious.. how old are you? I'm guessing youngish being that you never even saw the original. Do you really need action throughout the film for you to be able to watch it?

KuRuPT Thanosi
IT comes down to this for me...

For nostalgic purposes I prefer T1.. I grew up on that movie and saw it when I was a kid. I was an 80's kid, so 80's type movies I always tend to enjoy. However, if you ask me which one I wanna be stuck on a desert island watching between the two.. T2 wins in this area.

KuRuPT Thanosi
But I do like sci-fi and horror classics. I wasn't even born when the first movie came out, but I'm sure if I was a young kid at the time I would of loved the movie. I think people have different standards depending on the era they grew up.

Just like a kid today who saw the Star Wars originals might think they are awful because he is used to films being a certain way, in specific, films looking a lot better(visually). So for some kids the OT is all "meh". If these same kids had grown up in the late 70's when the movies first came out I guarantee they wouldn't of been going "meh" because at the time..it was some ground breaking stuff.

Similar to how people used to be fascinated by CGI and even go see movies just to see the CGI when it first became big, but now it's something we just come to expect. I can't remember the last time I thought to myself "awesome special effects!" when watching a movie. Not because the effects aren't good, but just because I've come to expect those types of stuff as standard.

Never mind, I kept reading the thread and you answered my question here

Zack Fair
T2 is my favorite movie ever. T1 is so awesome too.

Don't make me compare them.

Adam Grimes
T1, has that 'under' feeling that I just love. Same with the first Alien, both superiors to their respective sequels imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.