MCU vs DCCU 2016

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggerman
This thread is about which cinematic universe will make more money in 2016. Seeing as this is the MVF; this only refers to the movie sales and nothing else.

Basically Doctor Strange and Civil War vs BVS and Suicide Squad

Will Mavel continue to impose it's dominance or will DC show that it can hang with the big boys?

Robtard
-CW's going to make bank, Captain America is long established and I wouldn't be surprised at all if CW makes over 750mil in profits (unless it's a complete turd). So Marvel has that advantage going for it.

-Doctor Strange will likely pull in at least 450mil or so in profits. While the GA probably doesn't know a lot about the character, Cumberbatch is established.

-BvS is hard to say, MoS made about $450 in profits, but we're adding Batman and the GA is still likely on a Batman-high from the the Nolan films so it's very possible for this to make 750mil in profit and match CA:CW, but it's not a shoe-in like CA:CW.

-SS, this one I'm not really sure. I can see it not doing superb initially but if it's great, word of mouth could have a GotG affect on it.

Conclusion: I'd guess Marvel will pull ahead, mostly because of Captain America being in his 5th movie and WS being applauded as one of the best MCU films to date.

ares834

Zack M
Like I've been saying for a while , Suicide Squad will make around 650-700 WW. That's mainly due to Will Smith right now. A movie where it involves action/Will Smith usually does around that WW (Without 3-d mind you). I Am Legend, MIB 3, and Hancock all did that and that was without the Joker effect and cameos from Batman.

It could potentially do more, because of those things. In terms of awareness, SS has ALREADY 27 Million views on Youtube, not counting Facebook. That's 3 million shy of Batman V Superman!

BVS will likely do around 1 Billion plus. The marketing hasn't even ramped up yet and the potential is huge. It's going to be interesting, but I can see it making more money than Cap 3, especially with the release date. There is NO competition for 6 weeks, while Cap 3 will have some competition. Time will tell.

Zack M
Wall of text, but this poster on the BO forums mentions some good things:

Based
Civil War and BvS is going to be the biggest battle in movie history.

Quincy
Originally posted by Zack M

this is well put together

Inhuman

Holy shit lol laughing out loud

Didnt think there were more die hard dc'ers than you.
Apparently your favorite sites you frequent are full of them.

BruceSkywalker
MCU if i were to actually care..

i can see Cap Civil War making close to $1 billion WW... Dr. Strange I can see making Cap 1 st Avenger type dough but wouldn't at all be surprised if it pulls in Guardians of the Galaxy type dough...

Batman v Superman, perhaps will make around $750 to $850 million WW but that will depend on how people take to Affleck as Batman, as well as emaciated Gadot plus no talented actor Momoa.. even Eisenberg and has non talent self can people see him as someone ruthless and can deliver lines like Lex does...

Suicide Squad, I can only see make $350 to $475 WW.. Smith isn;t the box office draw he used to be, Leto is a talent however the spectre of Heath shines down on him so he has to prove he can be just as good, if not better.. Robbie is smoking hot but can she really act, the same with Cara, can she shake the supermodel in her and prove she can act..

Zack M
Originally posted by Inhuman
Holy shit lol laughing out loud

Didnt think there were more die hard dc'ers than you.
Apparently your favorite sites you frequent are full of them.

It's not a DC site, moron. It's from BO forums.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/65-box-office-clubs/

Inhuman
It's not a DC site, moron. It's from BO forums.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/65-box-office-clubs/

You must be a doofus if you think thats what i meant.
Never said it was a DC site. Ill simplify it for you.

More than likely your favorite movie sites and such you frequent are usually full of die hard fanatics like yourself. Explains the endless amounts of links to blogs, articles, ect consisting of imaginary numbers and conclusions that are nothing more than hopeful speculation.

Quincy
You don't think the logic of that post is pretty sound?

Zack M
You must be a doofus if you think thats what i meant.
Never said it was a DC site. Ill simplify it for you.

More than likely your favorite movie sites and such you frequent are usually full of die hard fanatics like yourself. Explains the endless amounts of links to blogs, articles, ect consisting of imaginary numbers and conclusions that are nothing more than hopeful speculation.

Die hard fanatics that use facts to back themselves up? How are they fanatics by stating the truth? I never said BVS is going to break OW weekend, but what he stated is something to think about. At least he brings facts to the table, unlike you. smile

Zack M
Originally posted by Quincy

It's INHUMAN. He never brings anything to the table other than his trolling self. What Excel (The OP) said is absolutely true. Batman has broken the OW record FOUR ****ing times. It's certainly POSSIBLE for him to do it again. I'm not saying it will, but it COULD.

Inhuman

Again . IMO its hopeful speculation.
Some of his points would have sounded better if the whole article he didnt spend it (not so) subtle , attacking the other studio while trying to make his points.
Just comes off like the usual fanboy rant about about my fav company is good and the other is bad nonsense.

Zack M
It's true, though. Batman is more popular than any one Marvel character. At least at the Box office. History is on his side, seeing as he not only has the Admissions record, but has continuously broken Box office records 4 times.

Inhuman
It's INHUMAN. He never brings anything to the table other than his trolling self.

lol,Thats like Hitler calling OJ Simpson a disgusting murderer baka

marwash22
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t614991.html

why make another thread about the same thing?

Imp, can you merge these?

Zack M
lol,Thats like Hitler calling OJ Simpson a disgusting murderer baka

You're Golgo's Hitler. wink

playa1258
Excel also was right on the money about Jurassic World. He knows what he's talking about.

juggerman
Originally posted by marwash22
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t614991.html

why make another thread about the same thing?

Imp, can you merge these?

My bad I didn't realise it was already a thread

playa1258
It's ok we can just merge them and continue to read Quans trolling.

marwash22
well, this one does have a poll. I voted for "i don't care", btw.

i really don't understand why anyone cares. Unless you have a personal stake in either company, it doesn't make sense why you'd be rooting for one over the other.

Tzeentch
Pretty sure Golgo made 5 new accounts so he could vote multiple times.

Flyattractor
Marvel will win in the Movie Arena because I have full faith in WB to fully FUK IT UP with their movies. I point to the last 2 Superman movies as proof.

Zack M
Unless Spider-Man is heavily marketed, BVS should win.

juggerman
Requested a merge. Hopefully we'll get to keep the poll

relentless1
BvS will be a juggernaut, Civil War has continuity going for it and established characters but thats it really. BvS has BATMAN VS SUPERMAN, i think the title speaks for itself

BruceSkywalker

i really don't understand why anyone cares. Unless you have a personal stake in either company, it doesn't make sense why you'd be rooting for one over the other.

thumb up

Based

Just comes off like the usual fanboy rant about about my fav company is good and the other is bad nonsense.

lol

dynamix
Are we counting all Marvel property, including Deadpool too?

Zack M

There are a lot of people who like to predict box office numbers for various reasons, but it's just like anything else, really. Why root for some sports team that you have no part In? Or debate about characters on a battle board? It's all just a waste of time, tbh.

If you like a certain movie, you want it to do well, because it guarantees sequels. I think BVS will do fine, even if it doesn't break records.

marwash22
Why root for some sports team that you have no part In? city/state/national pride, for the most part.

Also, sports are by definition, competitive; they have definitive outcomes that are determined by scoring systems and awards/trophies that are given to the best players/teams based on stats.

Or debate about characters on a battle board?The people who do this correctly (not those who ignore logic and fact) are in it for the debate, and the rational among us are capable of admitting when it's over. Discussing which character can beat another in a fight is actually fun.

Both of those examples are flawed.

Rooting for sports teams and participating in forum debates both have outcomes that give you a sense of pride and/or achievement. What sense of pride or achievement does one get from a Batman movie making more money than an Iron Man movie? You literally get nothing out of it.

If you like a certain movie, you want it to do well, because it guarantees sequels. Sure; but that's not what this is, these threads are created by people who actively hope for one set of franchises to fail, and it makes no sense. The success of one doesn't negatively effect the other... actually, the opposite is true, If a marvel franchise is successful, it's a push for the genre, and more dc franchises will get made.

i like Pizza more than Burgers, but i don't go around hoping Burger King or McDonald's goes into financial ruin.

Zack M
city/state/national pride, for the most part.

Also, sports are by definition, competitive; they have definitive outcomes that are determined by scoring systems and awards/trophies that are given to the best players/teams based on stats.

The people who do this correctly (not those who ignore logic and fact) are in it for the debate, and the rational among us are capable of admitting when it's over. Discussing which character can beat another in a fight is actually fun.

Both of those examples are flawed.

Rooting for sports teams and participating in forum debates both have outcomes that give you a sense of pride and/or achievement. What sense of pride or achievement does one get from a Batman movie making more money than an Iron Man movie? You literally get nothing out of it.

Sure; but that's not what this is, these threads are created by people who actively hope for one set of franchises to fail, and it makes no sense. The success of one doesn't negatively effect the other... actually, the opposite is true, If a marvel franchise is successful, it's a push for the genre, and more dc franchises will get made.

i like Pizza more than Burgers, but i don't go around hoping Burger King or McDonald's goes into financial ruin.

Yes, but don't you get a certain amount of pride predicting the box office numbers for any movie? I get that from many of the posters on the BO forums. You can get pleasure from pretty much anything. stick out tongue

relentless1

i actually do own Time Warner stock, have for the past 5 years and boy has it gone up since then smile

marwash22
even if that's true, a Marvel film making more than a DC film has zero negative effect on your stock.

relentless1
of course it doesnt, time warner is so so much more than its film division that its not even funny lol...still....thought id rebut Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing

relentless1
wish i had bought disney stock too though, they are actually worth more in the market than time warner at the moment

Darth Thor
I would have said BvS beats Civil War before the Spider-Man announcement. With Spider-Man I think Civil War takes it.

TheVaultDweller
This is far too early to call yet IMO... not that I give a rat's ass. I will be watching all 4 of these in the cinema in anyways.

juggerman
Originally posted by dynamix
Are we counting all Marvel property, including Deadpool too?

No

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I would have said BvS beats Civil War before the Spider-Man announcement. With Spider-Man I think Civil War takes it. This. Spidey is what tips it heavily in the MCUs favor

Zack M
I think the release date will hinder CW. BVS has no competition and might perform better because of this, so the actual overall total might be bigger. CW will have more competition , just like the stupid boxing match. Plus spiderman is hardly in CW.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
This is far too early to call yet IMO... not that I give a rat's ass. I will be watching all 4 of these in the cinema in anyways.

Yeah and 4 times each

IPlus spiderman is hardly in CW.

He doesn't have to be. Just 1 Awesome scene used in the marketing will give it tons more hype.

Surtur
On the other hand a lot of people I've talked to are feeling utterly burnt out about Spider-Man. Which is honestly what I hope is reflected in the box office numbers. I'm just tired of the character and they don't have to shoehorn him into everything. It has barely been a year since the last film and by the time the movie comes out it will of barely been two years. I don't dislike the character, but they had enough characters and movies coming out without shoving Spider-Man in there once again.

quanchi112
Spider-Man has never been a character on my radar.

BruceSkywalker
Cap will undoubtedly win, if i were to actually care lmmfao..

with batman v superman there is a lot of uncertainly and a ton of hype which may hurt its chances of making a shit ton of money.. while Cap will break the bank or damn near come close too... Has been Will Smith can;t carry movies anymore it seems and as hot as Margot Robbie is, she isn;t A list yet and neither is "I most eat several burgers" Gadot and Delevigne... Suicide Squad could very well fail, WB knows this and that is the reason stunt double Batman cameos

Zack M
Yeah and 4 times each

He doesn't have to be. Just 1 Awesome scene used in the marketing will give it tons more hype.

I don't see Spidey making as much as he did before and I don't see Civil War making more than AOU. If I had to call it now, I still say BVS makes more at this point. BVS will have a strong female demographic because if WW.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Surtur
On the other hand a lot of people I've talked to are feeling utterly burnt out about Spider-Man. Which is honestly what I hope is reflected in the box office numbers.

There's been too many solo films with him. It's time to mix him up with the MCU to reinvigorate him.

Also the last film was pretty meh/crappy, and still made as much as Cap:WS worldwide.

Plus kids everywhere still love Spidey. That excitement with the kids will only grow mixing him up with Marvel characters.

I don't see Spidey making as much as he did before and I don't see Civil War making more than AOU.

Like I said a bad Spidey movie still grossed as much as an Aweseome Cap movie.

Dunno, because AOU really wasn't that good. So assuming Civil War is Awesome, plus adding Spidey to the mix, it should gross more than AOU IMO. Maybe even more than Avengers 1 (given how the international market has grown since then).

Quincy
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
"I most eat several burgers" Gadot and Delevigne...

This is dumb

Zack M
There's been too many solo films with him. It's time to mix him up with the MCU to reinvigorate him.

Also the last film was pretty meh/crappy, and still made as much as Cap:WS worldwide.

Plus kids everywhere still love Spidey. That excitement with the kids will only grow mixing him up with Marvel characters.

Like I said a bad Spidey movie still grossed as much as an Aweseome Cap movie.

Dunno, because AOU really wasn't that good. So assuming Civil War is Awesome, plus adding Spidey to the mix, it should gross more than AOU IMO. Maybe even more than Avengers 1 (given how the international market has grown since then).

There is a limit to how much Cap will do
. Even with awesome reviews and good WOM, it still made less domestically than MOS. it made more OS, but not by much. A Spidey cameo doesn't guarantee more than the Avengers.

playa1258
MOS also had lots of competition. WB is avoiding that this time with BvS, giving lots of breathing room.

It is one of the big reasons why I think it will outgross Civil War.

BruceSkywalker
This is dumb

actually it should have read "I MUST eat burgers" Gadot and Delevinge but at the time I was multitasking with kmc, facebook and texting..

thing is it sn;t dumb both gadot and delevinge are skinny and there is no denying that..

Zack M
Gal looks fine. Much better than I expected her to be.

quanchi112
Gal looks fine. Much better than I expected her to be. Not according to Morrison. You're not a WW fan though so who cares what you think.

Quincy
Have you ever read Grant Morrison, Quan?

Adam Grimes
'You can't read a writer, they're human beings, sport' -How Quanchi112 will avoid your question, bc he doesn't read.

quanchi112
Have you ever read Grant Morrison, Quan? Yes, I have. Shitty. But that isn't the point he is against this feminine looking WW. Take that, fanatics.

Dc readers worship him so him openly saying he doesn't like it should tell the fanatics something.

Quincy
Most of the DC Readers I talk to vehemently dislike Grant Morrisons work. They consider him highly pretentious, prone to ex machina's and grandstanding nonsense.

I've liked some of his stuff though. His arguments are invalid to me. Feminine is a weird adjective for a writer to use in regards to a superhero character.

quanchi112
Most of the DC Readers I talk to vehemently dislike Grant Morrisons work. They consider him highly pretentious, prone to ex machina's and grandstanding nonsense.

I've liked some of his stuff though. His arguments are invalid to me. Feminine is a weird adjective for a writer to use in regards to a superhero character. Well, he is a writer and I agree she looks too physically weak to play the character. It's dc and to be expected.

playa1258
And Marvel has a 5'3 ***** kicking the shit out of everything.

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
And Marvel has a 5'3 ***** kicking the shit out of everything. The mutant with an unbeatable skeleton. He also is ripped. This is some feminine chick who Morrison disagrees is against the spirit of WW.

Zack M

I've liked some of his stuff though. His arguments are invalid to me. Feminine is a weird adjective for a writer to use in regards to a superhero character.

Like All Star Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.