Actor Vs Actor Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
I think it would be kinda fun to compare actors and see which one is more skilled. Opinions will vary, of course. You don't necessarily need to explain why, just put your opinion and place another matchup. I'll start:

Jared Leto Vs Jake Gyllenhaal, which one is better/more skilled?

LDCzwIlav48

relentless1
Leto easy, he's taken on more daring roles andes a much better actor in general. Jake has started to come through with some good roles lately but Jared is the Joker...nuff said

Zack M
I say it's close, but will give leto the nod.

Oscar Isaac vs Al Pacino (prime).

relentless1
cmonnnn...Pacino easy

Patient_Leech
Justin Timberlake vs. Ludacris

Zack M
Ludacris.

Daniel Day Lewis vs Robert Deniro?

Impediment
DeNiro, all the way.

Gary Oldman vs. Kevin Spacey.

Zack M
**** that's hard. I'll say Kevin Spacey by a hair.

Johnny Depp or Leonardo Dicaprio.

Depp in his PRIME.

carthage
Oldman's physical acting is much better, his ability to change his accents seamlessly, and his performances have impressed me more somewhat. They're probably close in skill overall, but those details impress me more. Good matchup though thumb up

Leonardo Dicaprio (Post Titanic) vs. Christian Bale

Zack M
Leo for me. What's Eating Gilbert Grape is better than any of Bales performances. He stole the show from Depp in that movie.

Viola Davis or Meryl Streep?

relentless1
Viola Davis for sure..shes intense man

jaden101
Originally posted by carthage
Oldman's physical acting is much better, his ability to change his accents seamlessly, and his performances have impressed me more somewhat. They're probably close in skill overall, but those details impress me more. Good matchup though thumb up

Leonardo Dicaprio (Post Titanic) vs. Christian Bale

Bale is probably the most committed method actor I've ever seen. The difference in his physical appearance in the 8 months between The Machinist and Batman Begins was astonishing. Unfortunately his actual acting ability is not up to that standard. Dicaprio gets better as he gets older. He picks roles perfectly and under Scorcese has become the best actor of his generation.

Firefly218
Leonardo DiCaprio simply outclasses Bale in terms of talent. Bale is incredibly committed and hard working though, so no knock on him.

Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis

Quincy
Bruce Willis when he actually gives a shit.

Tom Hardy or Samuel L Jackson?

Zack M
Tom Cruise.

Christoph Waltz or Dustin Hoffman?

relentless1
Anthony Hopkins or Michael Caine?

Zack M
Hopkins. Caine is good though.

relentless1
Jack Nicholson...or Marlon Brando??

Zack M
Brando easily. Deniro thinks he's the best actor ever.

Firefly218
Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Hanks

relentless1
what?? no way, Jack surpassed Brando

Zack M
Originally posted by Firefly218
Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Hanks

Come on, firefly, I want to know your opinion on some of these.

carthage
Originally posted by relentless1
what?? no way, Jack surpassed Brando

If you add up the amalgam of his roles, the amount of successful movies he's been in, and his overall ability I'd agree.

Brando in Godfather surpassed anything Nicholson's been in, but Nicholson has been more consistent throughout his career. Dicaprio is easily better than Hanks imo

marwash22
Originally posted by Impediment
Gary Oldman vs. Kevin Spacey. Originally posted by Zack M
I'll say Kevin Spacey by a hair.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--UFzvi3t0--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18898n2myjsa0gif.gif

relentless1
Laurence Fishbourne vs Samuel L Jackson

marwash22
Morpheus.

carthage
Laurence in terms of acting ability

His performance as Morpheus, in Boys in the Hood, Kings of New York, etc impress me more than Samuel L's monotone, yelling, profanity laden over-the-top performances any day of the week. He's much more well spoken, more believable in serious roles, and seems to play more diverse roles than Samuel L and is definitely more skilled. Samuel L wins box office draw though probably.

Michael Ironside vs. Clancy Brown

relentless1
Clancy brown...the 'shank AND voicing Luthor put him over the top here wink

Zack M
If you add up the amalgam of his roles, the amount of successful movies he's been in, and his overall ability I'd agree.

Brando in Godfather surpassed anything Nicholson's been in, but Nicholson has been more consistent throughout his career. Dicaprio is easily better than Hanks imo

I also think Street Car is easily better than anything Nicholson has been in. In terms of pure skill, I think Brando is better because he literally breathes whatever character he's doing. It doesn't even seem that he's acting, he's that good, while Nicholson is basically Nicholson in most of his roles. Nicholson is A plus, but Brando is a God of acting, imo.

Nicholson obviously has a better career, but we're talking purely skill here.

Even though it was a small part, Brando stole the show in The Score. Even outperforming Deniro. Just my opinion of course.

Zack M
Btw, I think around when Brando was youngish he stopped caring about Hollywood and acting all together. He thought the whole thing was bull shit, which probably explains why his prime years were cut short. Still, for someone who doesn't have as many movies, winning two Oscars isn't that shabby.

Patient_Leech
Laurence in terms of acting ability

His performance as Morpheus, in Boys in the Hood, Kings of New York, etc impress me more than Samuel L's monotone, yelling, profanity laden over-the-top performances any day of the week. He's much more well spoken, more believable in serious roles, and seems to play more diverse roles than Samuel L and is definitely more skilled. Samuel L wins box office draw though probably.

thumb up

Nicholas Cage vs. Gary Busey

relentless1
Tommy Lee Jones vs Alec Baldwin

Patient_Leech
Tommy Lee Jones vs Alec Baldwin

Nope... invalid.

Nicholas Cage vs. Gary Busey

relentless1
Cage easily, way crazier and has won an Oscar

now...Tommy Lee Jones vs Alec Baldwin!!

Quincy
Tommy Lee Jones by a wide margin.

Tom Hiddleston or Hugh Jackman?

StiltmanFTW
Hiddleston.

Sean Bean or Andrew Lincoln?

Impediment
Sean Bean.

Val Kilmer vs. Tim Curry.

relentless1
lol tim curry easy

carthage
Cage easily, way crazier and has won an Oscar

now...Tommy Lee Jones vs Alec Baldwin!!

Probably Tommy. I haven't seen anything by him in a while though.

Val also curbs Tim in acting ability, he's played more diverse roles, is much much more versatile than Tim who always gets comedy roles, etc. Tim would win voice acting though

Dennis Hopper vs. James Caan

Patient_Leech
Dennis Hopper all the way... may he RIP.

Now time for a beauty contest...

Willem Dafoe vs. Steve Buscemi

Zack M
Willem Dafoe.

Robert Deniro Vs Leonardo Dicaprio. Post Titanic.

Impediment
DeNiro.

James Gandolfini vs. Joe Pesci.

StiltmanFTW
Pesci.

Edward Norton or Eric Bana?

Firefly218
Edward Norton

Neil Patrick Harris or Jerry Seinfeld? Only in terms of acting talent, not resume.

carthage
Damn

I'm not sure Seinfeld's tone of voice and overall deliver of lines irritates me, and. Harris seems to be able to actually sound serious. Probably Neil

Gary Oldman vs. Willem Dafoe

marwash22
Seinfeld > NPH.

Surtur
What has Jerry Seinfeld ever been in that was that good in a "wow he is showing some quality acting"? Even the tv show Seinfeld..which I loved, and it was very funny..I never found myself thinking "Jerry Seinfeld just acted the shit out of this episode".

Neil seems to have a lot more range when it comes to the types of roles he can play successfully. Jerry Seinfeld seems to more or less constantly just play..Jerry Seinfeld.

Originally posted by Zack M
Willem Dafoe.

Robert Deniro Vs Leonardo Dicaprio. Post Titanic.

I actually think Deniro circa the least 15-20 years has been nowhere near as good as Leo and I think Leo at his best was just as good as when Deniro was at his.

relentless1
i love seinfeld to death but he is a terrible actor

gary oldman > willem dafoe

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Surtur
What has Jerry Seinfeld ever been in that was that good in a "wow he is showing some quality acting"? Even the tv show Seinfeld..which I loved, and it was very funny..I never found myself thinking "Jerry Seinfeld just acted the shit out of this episode".

Neil seems to have a lot more range when it comes to the types of roles he can play successfully. Jerry Seinfeld seems to more or less constantly just play..Jerry Seinfeld.

I actually think Deniro circa the least 15-20 years has been nowhere near as good as Leo and I think Leo at his best was just as good as when Deniro was at his. I disagree Leo may be better now but better than Bobby D in the 70's, 80's and 90's hell to the no.

carthage
Valid points

IDK I can easily see Dicaprio surpassing Deniro at some point, at this point I have that about even. But a few more films with him acting to the same degree as Wolf of Wall Street, he'll surpass him eventually. What aside from Titanic, Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, etc does he have to stack up against Deniro's prime?

marwash22
Originally posted by Surtur
Jerry Seinfeld seems to more or less constantly just play..Jerry Seinfeld. thumb up

...and Jerry Seinfeld > NPH.

thanks for playing, chap.

Zack M
Valid points

IDK I can easily see Dicaprio surpassing Deniro at some point, at this point I have that about even. But a few more films with him acting to the same degree as Wolf of Wall Street, he'll surpass him eventually. What aside from Titanic, Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, etc does he have to stack up against Deniro's prime?

Can't we just talk about prime vs prime?

Patient_Leech
gary oldman > willem dafoe

NO.

quanchi112
i love seinfeld to death but he is a terrible actor

gary oldman > willem dafoe Seinfeld is great, scumbag.

Firefly218
DiCaprio is more consistently amazing then DeNiro. I haven't seen Leo in anything that he hasn't acted the hell out of.

Gary Oldman is an iota above Dafoe for me.

NPH has more range and better acting chops then Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong though, the character of Jerry Seinfeld is probably more resonant than any character played by NPH.

Chris Evans or Ben Affleck and only acting counts

P-Geyser
As I said Leo is great, but he ain't surpassing Deniro in The Godfather 2, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Dear Hunter (HELL TO THE NO ON THAT ONE). Leo surpasses Bobby D as of now I think we all can agree.

Zack M
Michael Keaton or Christian Bale?

Patient_Leech
Neither. Val Kilmer wins all. Happy Dance

jaden101
Originally posted by Firefly218
DiCaprio is more consistently amazing then DeNiro. I haven't seen Leo in anything that he hasn't acted the hell out of.

Gary Oldman is an iota above Dafoe for me.

NPH has more range and better acting chops then Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong though, the character of Jerry Seinfeld is probably more resonant than any character played by NPH.

Chris Evans or Ben Affleck and only acting counts

I've yet to see Evans in any standout role.

Affleck, on the other hand, has Boiler Room, Argo , Gone Girl, Dogma, Good Will Hunting, The Town all where he gave very good performances .

Kazenji
^ Didn't you see Snowpiecer?....or was that not a very good role in your view.

Quincy
Snowpiercer was great

Affleck still wins, though.

Tommy Lee Jones or Javier Bardem?

Firefly218
Tommy Lee Jones. Then again the only movie I've seen Bardem in is Skyfall.

Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler

Adam Grimes
Jim is a better actor while Sandler is funnier.

Pitt or Clooney?

jaden101
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Jim is a better actor while Sandler is funnier.

Pitt or Clooney?

Pitt has done 12 Monkeys, Sleepers, Meet Joe Black, Babel, inglorious Basterds, Fight Club, Snatch...

George Clooney has managed to play George Clooney over and over again.

Impediment
Pitt.

Walter Mathau or Jack Lemmon?

Zack M
Lemmon. Walter is funnier though.

Tom Hardy Vs Christian Bale?

dynamix
both great but i think Hardy is more consistent so i'm rolling with Hardy

Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington?

jaden101
Hanks. Denzel plays variations on Denzel very well but hanks has played a pretty broad range effectively from Philadelphia to Forrest Gump to The Terminal.

marwash22
Helen Mirren vs. Meryl Streep?

carthage
Originally posted by dynamix
both great but i think Hardy is more consistent so i'm rolling with Hardy

Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington?

Denzel by a slight margin, probably thanks to greater roles. Actually, its probably a tie-but I find Denzel to be better spoken at least. Also Denzel has quite a range as well going from Malcom X to a supportive football coach in We are the Titans.

Ralph Fiennes vs. Eric Bana

Kazenji
Eric Bana.

marwash22
funny; i just watched a movie with Eric Bana called 'Lucky You'. it was decent.

Kazenji
Have you seen a movie called Chopper?...he plays the role of Mark "Chopper" Read a criminal that we had here.

dynamix
Originally posted by marwash22
Helen Mirren vs. Meryl Streep?

more of a personal choice than logical one seeing that Streep catalogue is a little better than Helen Mirren but Mirren's performance in The Queen was on some other level, to me. Fell in love with her lol. Going with Lady Mirren.

allow me to switch it up just this once. instead of actors, i'm going to do director.

Stanley Kubrick or Christopher Nolan?

marwash22
Originally posted by Kazenji
Have you seen a movie called Chopper?...he plays the role of Mark "Chopper" Read a criminal that we had here. yeah, fat-Bana was pretty good in that one.

Kazenji
vpS31FJO8_o

jaden101
I was just about to say let's not forget Poida

Zack M
Jeremy Irons Vs Michael Caine??? confused

StiltmanFTW
Irons.

StiltmanFTW
Downey Junior vs. Chris Pratt?

Quincy
RDJ

John Cusack or Billy Bob Thornton?

Firefly218
I like John Cusack

Brendon Frasier or Nathan Fillion

marwash22
Fraser. Nathan Fillion has zero range.

Charlize Theron vs. Kate Winslet?

Zack M
Charlize wins.

Sidney Poitier Vs Denzel Washington?

carthage
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Downey Junior vs. Chris Pratt?

Downey imo

Impediment
Originally posted by Zack M
Charlize wins.

Sidney Poitier Vs Denzel Washington?

Denzel, IMO.

John Lithgow or Steve Martin?

marwash22
Lithgow. Steve is a better comedic actor, but Lithgow is great at drama and comedy.

Steve Buscemi vs. John Hamm

Robtard
Buscemi.

John Ham's Don Draper is epic, but that's all he really has going for him.

marwash22
thumb up

was afraid there might be some "mad men" bias. but all around, Buscemi is more talented, methinks.

Impediment
Kurt Russell or Bruce Campbell?

Firefly218
Originally posted by Impediment
Kurt Russell or Bruce Campbell?

Gotta go with Kurt Russell

Daniel Craig or Pierce Brosnan

Piggle Humsy
Daniel Craig

Just cause Pierce Brosnan still annoys me from being in Mrs Doubtfire haermm

Vince Vaughn or Owen Wilson

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Robtard
Buscemi.

John Ham's Don Draper is epic, but that's all he really has going for him. Wait until he becomes Negan. thumb up

Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
Daniel Craig

Just cause Pierce Brosnan still annoys me from being in Mrs Doubtfire haermm

Vince Vaughn or Owen Wilson Owen Wilson.

Elijah Wood or Daniel Radcliffe?

Firefly218
Elijah Wood easily

Jack Nicholson or Harrison Ford

carthage
Nicholson easily.

Forest Whitaker vs. Edward Norton

Zack M
Ed.

Sean Penn vs Tom Hardy?

Patient_Leech
Tom Hardy

Never have been much of a Sean Penn fan. Alright, time for a couple heavyweights...

Joe Pesce vs. John Leguizamo

Impediment
Joe Pesci, easily.

Danny DeVito or Billy Crystal?

walshy
danny devito

christian bale vs leonardo dicaprio

Impediment
DiCaprio.

Kathy Bates or Helen Mirren?

Patient_Leech
Kathy Bates

(I don't know who Helen Mirren is)

Liam Neeson vs. Tom Hanks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.