Windows 10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

walshy
Has anyone downloaded windows 10 yet? have you encountered any problems with it? or lost any data?

I'm not sure whether to leave it and stick with windows 7

Omega Vision
Yeah, I'd appreciate if anyone could give some info on this, but is Windows 10 even available yet? I thought they were just offering it in advance.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Yeah, I'd appreciate if anyone could give some info on this, but is Windows 10 even available yet? I thought they were just offering it in advance.

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 it's free and available as an update.

I have had 10 since the first day it came out. Only had one issue so far with Windows not recognizing my video card driver randomly after restarting.

Other than that, I'm happy. It's nice and snappy and much better organized than 8.1. I do not miss the separate Start screen.

BruceSkywalker
i'm still waiting to get my upgrade.. makes me mad

NewLanceWindu
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72714/20150729/cant-wait-for-windows-10-heres-how-to-force-your-system-to-update.htm

walshy
I finally decided to upgrade from windows 7 and tbh I'm thinking of going back, maybe I just don't like change but I preferred the display on windows 7, start menu was easier to read and go through. Minor point but now solitaire and free cell are linked in to one thing called solitaire collection which doesn't work as well or smooth as on 7.

There's a separate DVD player feature which I don't see the point of, I always used media player that was fine.

Have a month to go back to 7

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i'm still waiting to get my upgrade.. makes me mad

It's awful and full of glitches and bugs

Jesus McBurger
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
thumb up

walshy
It's awful and full of glitches and bugs do you still use windows 10? what problems have you had with it?

BruceSkywalker

it's been fine recently but yea they do need to fix the bugs

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by walshy
do you still use windows 10? what problems have you had with it?

Windows explorer does not work

Good hting Chrome just started working

Driver Issues with web cam no video

Backwards compatibility issues..

I can keep going.

Bardock42
Windows explorer does not work

Good hting Chrome just started working

Driver Issues with web cam no video

Backwards compatibility issues..

I can keep going.

You should get a Mac.

Time-Immemorial
I do have a mac, but I have a gaming PC.

-Pr-
10 is getting there, it's just not arrived yet. It's already shaping up to be better than 8.1 though. They just need to get rid of the weird privacy issues.

Robtard
Rather enjoy 10. Much better than 8/8.1, but it's not as stable as 7 as I've had a few glitches here and there, all were sorted out easily enough.

TI, if you're having trouble on older hardware in Win10, install said hardware in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Time-Immemorial
Things are working better with automatic updates on.

NewLanceWindu
Did you not update so they could fix any bugs until now?

Time-Immemorial
?

BackFire
Been using Windows 10 for a couple months now. Initially did the "upgrade" option but had some problems with a couple games so then did a clean install, been fine since then.

S_W_LeGenD
I was using Windows 8.1 before moving to Windows 10 and upgrade process was smooth for me. I did not face any glitches or data loss.

Before upgrading to Windows 10, it is important to determine compatibility of your hardware with it. I also recommend backup of personal data before taking the leap, just in case.

Vanguard
]

Vanguard

Vanguard
test

walshy
What are you doing

StiltmanFTW
Testing if his signature was showing up, I guess.

shiv
Some advice with Windows 10

If you have machines on your network with older hardware

Which were working fine in previous versions of Windows and previous versions of Windows 10

and start generating blue screen errors after major updates

A simple fix for a whole host of sins is:

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Advanced Power Settings > POWER SAVING MODE

+

In Task Manager > Startup

Limit it to your security intelligence software and maybe one or two low impact processes

+

Disable Hardware Acceleration in all programs you use which allow you to disable Hardware Acceleration

example:

a common fix for vlc media player going green screen or triggering a bsod is to go to preferences in vlc > input/codecs > disable hardware acceleration

+

It may be helpful to switch to Firefox

Firefox > Tools > Options > Performance

allows you to disable hardware acceleration

+

Firefox allows you to set a Content Process Limit

Firefox's defaults are lighter on system resources than most browsers.

Using the handy selection box to limit mozilla to between 30% and 60% of it's default setting will make it even lighter without slowing you down.

+

use uBlock Origin

+

In Settings:
Deactivate Cortana in Cortana
Deactivate Camera and Phone
In Apps Uninstall / Terminate every app you don't use
On Work Computers you'll find a lot of apps running as background apps.

After every major update of Windows 10 background programs like xbox console companion and xbox live, etc will be set to ON whether or not you know they are there or use them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you have a problem with getting a computer to auto-update to a newer version of Win 10

Download it onto USB or Create a Disc. Update the uncooperative machine manually.
Win 10 can sometimes just flat out refuse to play ball with a bootable usb. When that happens. You're gonna have to create a disc.

zapmax
Nice advice shiv..

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by shiv

use uBlock Origin

It doesn't support every browser, but it's surprisingly effective and doesn't consume much resources...

Robtard
Supports all major browsers according to google: Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Firefox, Opera and Safari

StiltmanFTW
According to google thumb up

It certainly has trouble with older and custom builds; something which ABP doesn't mind at all.

AsbestosFlaygon
uBlock Origin is the best adblocking extenstion/add-on. Uses the least amount of resources compared to other adblockers.

AdGuard is quite good though.

Btw I'm still using Windows 10, and won't upgrade to Windows 11 due to old hardware.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.