How would you better the world?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
All of Earths governments, natural/anthropogenic resources, territories, and economies have been placed under your control. Social constructs such as religions, nationality/ethnicity, etc can also be rewritten at your whim. It is your job to devise a new system to ensure egalitarian happiness for everyone with Earths limited resources, while simultaneously ensuring no crime or war, freedom of choice, and doing your best not to pollute/deplete Earths resources. How would you go about it?

Lord Lucien
Make them fund research in to fusion power. Tell them to cut the inequality stuff out. Find a way to save us from the impending coffee and cocoa bean shortage. And get rid of North Korea.

Also, stop giving money to Michael Bay and Uwe Boll.

Van Hohenheim
The most important aspect in any country is education. If you give everyone a good education, everything else will solve itself.

riv6672
By giving the power i have back to all the appropriate parties.
No way should i or any one person be trusted with all that.

Flyattractor
Yeah. I would nuke the place.

riv6672
I would nuke certain places.

Thats what i mean though. Reading the OP i thought of about 4 different ways i'd abuse the power and none immediately came to mind that were actually helpful.

Mindship
I'd start with minimizing the cultural memes of self-aggrandizement and entitlement. Eg, having a Facebook page doesn't make you a reality star. And greed is bad.

I'd cherish and reward acts of charity, kindness and compassion, as well as long-term, intelligent and altruistic planning for the benefit of all humankind. I'd hail good, effective teachers and scientists as the new rock stars. Singers, movie stars and pro athletes would all be on the back tiers of importance.

Moral relativism/equivalence would end. Political correctness would get a major overhaul to minimize oversensitive wussiness.

I'd insist on people taking personal responsibility for their own lives and behavior, not just ranting about rights. Rights w/o responsibility = recklessness; responsibility w/o rights = slavery.

And yeah, if necessary, scorched-earth would be part of my foreign policy.

In time, my stern but ultimately benevolent monarchy would blanket this world with sufficiently distributed resources for global peace and prosperity.

Oh, one last thing: I'd fund research into resurrecting a Jack Kirby clone. Man I'd love to see what he could do with today's computers and art programs.

riv6672
I suppose living under your dictatorial thumb's be worth it for that last bit about cloning Kirby....thumb up

Surtur
I've said this before: find out a safe easy and reversible way to sterilize people. This way we don't have teenagers having kids or people who are unfit to be parents raising children, etc. You have to pass a battery of physical and mental tests to be allowed to have a child. I'd also limit the number of kids to 3-4 max. No more of this 8 or 12 god damn kids in a family.

This won't solve everything, but I do believe a persons upbringing plays a huge role in how they turn out, and thus this way we can at least greatly increase the chances that upbringing will be positive.

Mindship
Originally posted by Surtur
I've said this before: find out a safe easy and reversible way to sterilize people. This way we don't have teenagers having kids or people who are unfit to be parents raising children, etc. You have to pass a battery of physical and mental tests to be allowed to have a child. I'd also limit the number of kids to 3-4 max. No more of this 8 or 12 god damn kids in a family.

This won't solve everything, but I do believe a persons upbringing plays a huge role in how they turn out, and thus this way we can at least greatly increase the chances that upbringing will be positive. thumb up Along a similar vein: parent licensing. No kids, unless you are ready for them, emotionally as well as financially.

Again, rights and responsibility, not one w/o the other.

Surtur
I think I'd also like to somehow make at least 2 years of college mandatory with free community college.

Adam Grimes
By ruling it with an iron fist.

Surtur
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
By ruling it with an iron fist.

See I rule my planets with fists made of platinum.

http://tinypic.com/4bjo606.jpg

Adam Grimes
laughing out loud

jaden101
Invest in liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology and roll it out around the world thus removing the need for fossil fuels for energy production and instead only for chemical processes. Would also have secondary benefits of being utilised for cleaning up current stockpiles of waste generated from heavy water reactors and also produce vital radionuclides required in diagnostic medicine.

Lift all restrictions on genetic modification to allow crop viability in parts of the world where it is currently very difficult to do so thus alleviating hunger.

Nationalise pharmaceutical companies to ensure research is geared towards curing diseases outright rather than profit focused repeat 'treatments'

Remove all notions of hereditary entitlement of power ie monarchies and aristocracies.

Increase funding on space exploration.

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by jaden101
Invest in liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology and roll it out around the world thus removing the need for fossil fuels for energy production and instead only for chemical processes. Would also have secondary benefits of being utilised for cleaning up current stockpiles of waste generated from heavy water reactors and also produce vital radionuclides required in diagnostic medicine.

Lift all restrictions on genetic modification to allow crop viability in parts of the world where it is currently very difficult to do so thus alleviating hunger.

Nationalise pharmaceutical companies to ensure research is geared towards curing diseases outright rather than profit focused repeat 'treatments'

Remove all notions of hereditary entitlement of power ie monarchies and aristocracies.

Increase funding on space exploration.

this man has my vote

clubcrawllasveg
I should be helpful to other people

Genesis-Soldier
unite us all against an enemy, either of foreign or own making

foreign = alien attack

own= dead planet and we need to resettle

Surtur
At this point why not just fake an alien war, Wag the Dog style?

Genesis-Soldier
or create a genetic monster we need to kill

carthage
I'd hit the reset button

Mindset
Hurl it into the sun.

Adam Grimes
Unify all nations under my wing, build a world army and conquer the stars.

Mindset
Hurl Adam Grimes into the sun.

Adam Grimes
I'll destroy the sun first.

Time-Immemorial
laughing out loud

Tattoos N Scars
Put TI in the White House!!!

Prof. T.C McAbe
Build a Jail on an Island and put all Politicians, Billionaires, Bankers and Rapists there (except Mindset). It would be like a soft reset, things would go back to what they are but it would take 20-30 years.

Raisen
Have sex with all the beautiful fat a$$ women and spread my superior genetics. But first I would cut off bardocks fingers and tongue. (Jk)

It's xyz!
I'm not Jewish enough to do any of that. Originally posted by Lestov16
All of Earths governments, natural/anthropogenic resources, territories, and economies have been placed under your control. Social constructs such as religions, nationality/ethnicity, etc can also be rewritten at your whim. It is your job to devise a new system to ensure egalitarian happiness for everyone with Earths limited resources, while simultaneously ensuring no crime or war, freedom of choice, and doing your best not to pollute/deplete Earths resources. How would you go about it?

MS Warehouse
Such a ridiculous hypothetical situation but it'll be a mixture of The Hunger Games/Divergent dystopian futures mixed in with skynet robots to ensure the games are being properly carried out.

Astner
I'd introduce an Astner tax where all companies worldwide had to send 1% of their annual profits to my bank account.

Surtur
Free weed.

Lord Lucien
I didn't know he was in prison.

It's xyz!
Exterminate Jews.p
Everything' else will follow.

Digi
The logistical considerations on any of these things would - in and of themselves - likely take lifetimes. I'm also not sure the OPs wide-reaching goals are possible at all, short of primordial biological modification that fundamentally alters the species, or some other form of overt control. Having control of the world's governments and such isn't anything like the power you'd need to make humanity peaceful and happy. At that point you'd need Biblical and/or comic book powers to have a chance.

So I'd keep it simple. Probably the only things I'd do would be to try to eliminate the stuff we could use to destroy ourselves (nuclear arsenals, etc.), and I'd try to push education in the right direction where it's needed most. Then I'd let everything else play out as it would.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.