SINestro Vs sinESTro

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
Ok, a little weird topic, this is about pronunciation.

I always thought his name was SINestro (like sinister)
Then along comes TV/Movies and labels him siNEStro.

Did anyone else imagine his name sounding different before you saw the animated/live action versions?

Which pronunciation do you prefer?

how about any other characters?

DarkSaint85
I always thought it was siNEStro, personally.

How about that Ra's Al Ghul, eh? Arrow has it both ways - and hilariously, even though Ollie KNOWS it should be pronounced 'Raysh', he still uses 'Raas'

Scoobless
Yeah, that too ... and in Batman Begins the woman at the party carefully repeats it as "Raas"

Xavier:

Zaa-vee-air
ex-A-vee-air
???

DarkSaint85
That DID confused me, and still does.

I pronounce it in my head as 'Savior'. But many times, I've heard it as ExSaviour.

I prefer Savior, Makes sense, and is how it's pronounced with St Francis et al.

Scoobless
Kurt Wagner

Wag-ner
Vag-ner

I studied German in high school, so I know... their W sounds like the English V... But sometimes I still read it as wag

riv6672
Sinestro gets the capital EST.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Scoobless
Kurt Wagner

Wag-ner
Vag-ner

I studied German in high school, so I know... their W sounds like the English V... But sometimes I still read it as wag

Vagner, always, like the composer.

Xorn? If you go by the Mandarin use of his name, it technically should have a 'sh' or a 'ss' noise, rather than a 'zz' noise...

Scoobless
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Vagner, always, like the composer.

Xorn? If you go by the Mandarin use of his name, it technically should have a 'sh' or a 'ss' noise, rather than a 'zz' noise...

Mandarin doesn't have words that start "xo" if it was "xi" it would make a high pitched "she" sound (like talking with a lisp)

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Scoobless
Mandarin doesn't have words that start "xo" if it was "xi" it would make a high pitched "she" sound (like talking with a lisp)

Yeah, I was going off xu- and xi- type words. I.e., no words sound like 'zz'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.